Gas Guzzling Money Pits
pointless expenses and cars
GazChap wrote:
Cavey wrote:
GazChap wrote:
You do realise that nuclear power is the safest form of power generation we have, right?

LOL. Sorry Gaz, but is it fuck.
Try telling that to the people of Japan, Fukushima in particular. The half lives of these pollutants is measured in tens and hundreds of thousands of years.

It's nothing compared to the number of deaths related to other forms of power.

From the article:
Quote:
It’s especially high in China, where three-quarters of the electricity is made by burning coal, mining accidents kill about 6,000 people a year, and hundreds of millions of people are affected by air pollution.

You'd get none of that with nuclear power. And yes, in the rare instance that there's a nuclear accident the effects are (comparatively) minor.

False dichotomy.

Old school coal power stations with little or no environmental mitigation = deaths = we must use more nuclear (whose TRUE environmental impact and legacy is entirely in stasis - concrete blocks - and we have NO IDEA how to store or handle the vast, ever increasing quantities of the most toxic substances on Earth that it generates, with half-lives of tens or hundreds of thousands of years (concrete is fucked in mere decades)

Still, "logic and sense", huh. Ze Germans: so reknown for being illogial andf stupid about stuff after all... :insincere:
Fuck me. Car discussion please.
What about those poor Chilean miners who got stuck down that big hole a few years ago? Raised the nations spirits they did! Without coal, we wouldn't have had that proper feel good story of the summer/winter*

*I can't remember when it was.
Exactly Vision! Hooray for coal, I say!

/claps loudly at desk
Cavey wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
To make big savings you need to be doing a 75 mile round trip commute every day, or even better 75 miles each way with a charging point at the far end.

... and you'd need to buy secondhand as well, not from new, otherwise you'd never recoup the cost of depreciation.
This A3 is regularly doing 70mpg real world now; I'd never have believed it. It only depreciates 30% after 3 years, which is a cost of £5400.

That seems suspiciously low depreciation.
TheVision wrote:
What about those poor Chilean miners who got stuck down that big hole a few years ago? Raised the nations spirits they did! Without coal, we wouldn't have had that proper feel good story of the summer/winter*

*I can't remember when it was.

No different than prostitutes, miners.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
To make big savings you need to be doing a 75 mile round trip commute every day, or even better 75 miles each way with a charging point at the far end.

... and you'd need to buy secondhand as well, not from new, otherwise you'd never recoup the cost of depreciation.
This A3 is regularly doing 70mpg real world now; I'd never have believed it. It only depreciates 30% after 3 years, which is a cost of £5400.

That seems suspiciously low depreciation.

Not really; the very lowest depreciating cars can retain ~70% of their value as over 3 years. Same deal with basic spec Fiat 500s, Minis and the like. Sold the Evoque for 74.2% of what we paid 3 years ago for it - that's even lower depreciation - and that was with 46,000 miles on the clock!
This is the new model and is sought after; I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it falls within this bracket.
[JOKE]

What do Audis and hemorrhoids have in common?

Only arseholes get them!

[/JOKE]
DavPaz wrote:
[JOKE]

What do Audis and hemorrhoids have in common?

Only arseholes get them!

[/JOKE]

:this:

...Oh.

:'(

(Although technically speaking, Mrs C got it. I'll pass on your warm regards, Davpaz. :D )
Less bitchin', more vegetable cars plz!
OK. I can truthfully state I'd rather have that carrot car than an EV. :D

Quick guide:

A3 > Carrot Car > EV > Honda Jazz
Cavey wrote:

But what if the carrot car *is* an EV?
You run it on carrot juice
DavPaz wrote:
Cavey wrote:

But what if the carrot car *is* an EV?

*explodes*
Cavey wrote:

Quick guide:

Having driven an electric car and a honda jazz, I can certainly agree with the order of the last two in that list.
Jem wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Quick guide:

Having driven an electric car and a honda jazz, I can certainly agree with the order of the last two in that list.

You've not lived until you've driven a carrot car, Jem. :D
Gah!

Was driving down the road and heard a 'thunk' noise from the left hand side of the car, didn't take much of inspection to see it's taken a hit from a stone or something :(

Looks like I'm ordering a touch-up kit then. It doesn't appear to have gone right down to the metal, the car appears to have MANY LAYERS of paint.

Attachment:
thunk01.JPG

Attachment:
thunk02.JPG
Bummer, sorry to hear that :(
I've got the same issue on the rear bumper, deep scratches to paint. Anyone know of any decent touch up mobile company/are those Chips Away people any good?

If I don't sort these, I'll get hammered when I hand the car back from lease.
They are franchises, so the standard can vary a lot from town to town.
I've ordered 'Touch Up Kit 3' from cartouchupkits.co.uk

They ask for all the details of the car including the crucial paint code from the VIN plate and promise a perfect match.

I'll have a go at it myself and my fallback position if I royally fuck it up is to take the hit on the £150-£200 it'll cost to get it done properly at a body shop. (The touch up kit was £20 delivered.)

I mean, my effort doesn't have to be absolutely perfect, just good enough so you wouldn't know it was there unless you already knew where to look.

I did the same on the Scooby with a couple of scratches it got and the job was good enough for me.

Attachment:
tuk3.JPG
Good quality artist brush included too, not just a paintbrush.
I'm going to have a crack at spraying my lower parts of my bumpers so they colour match the rest of the car. Did my own wheels and they came out well.
Or might just spunk all my money I had earmarked on bits for my Quadcopter.
Definitely the wisest choice, a faster quadcopter is always going to be way more fun than a different coloured bumper and more fun than shoes for the kids for that matter.
Absolutely. Might just get a 'My other car's a Porsche' sticker and have done.