*~Pets Corner!~*
Pet and animal talk ^.^
Ian Fairies wrote:
I've been having a go with the disposable camera app which produced this quite lovely photo of The Gooch. Not a bad little app. You have a reel of 20 photos and don't see the results till you've taken the lot. Me likely.

That's a great photo :) :luv:

The Egg wrote:
We picked up our new pooch yesterday afternoon, a 20 week old Pekingese. Mrs The_Egg is absolutely smitten with him. Ah who am I kidding, I am too he's awesome!

He is adorable! What's his name?

Zardoz wrote:
Gilly, I'm so sorry to hear about Jen's parents dog. Poor thing.

Thanks Zardoz. The Christmas before last I gave Jen's mum a print of a photo I had taken of Bliss and she hung it in her good living room, it's a gorgeous photo. So glad now I gave her that. Here's another really cute photo I took of her :luv:
Attachment:
IMG_5086.JPG
Bliss looked like a lovely dog. My Grandma's neighbour had one of those (not sure of the breed, sorry) that would dig on command! The local park was full of pit holes :D .
Zardoz wrote:
Bliss looked like a lovely dog. My Grandma's neighbour had one of those (not sure of the breed, sorry) that would dig on command! The local park was full of pit holes :D .

Bernese mountain dog. She had a big huge bushy tail and used to walk round the living room looking for cuddles and cause a panic as she wagged all the glasses off the coffee table :DD
Yeah, really friendly breed. Shep (the dog I mentioned) was like a big teddy bear to us when we were kids.
Gilly wrote:

The Egg wrote:
We picked up our new pooch yesterday afternoon, a 20 week old Pekingese. Mrs The_Egg is absolutely smitten with him. Ah who am I kidding, I am too he's awesome!

He is adorable! What's his name?

Well that's a bone of contention at the moment and we're still trying to decide. I have come up with some awesome names that Mrs TE has declined (Jake Bullet, The Ultimate Warrior, Don King II, Slash, Lee Majors etc.) He came from the breeder with the name Jeremy so we're using that for now until I can be sensible we agree.

That pic of your mum's dog is lovely.
Push pineapple shake the tree.
If he was a Beagle I could understand Jeremy.

Gollthraxian.
Ravenous 'Beast of Traal
Bastard Squad.

Mao Tse Tung's Meat Challenge.

HMS Average Nostril.
Get off the fucking sofa
Fenton
Yournamehere
Whatdog
Rover
Fido
Dog
Felix
And now that you know its name, you need to find a Totes as well.
Never mind cloud computing. How about cloud pooching?
It wants you to upload biscuits.
Just watch out, they get a lot bigger.

Gilly wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

Bernese mountain dog. She had a big huge bushy tail and used to walk round the living room looking for cuddles and cause a panic as she wagged all the glasses off the coffee table :DD

Lovely dog; a very close relative of the Rottie. Shorten the coat a little, dock the tail and remove the white markings, and you have a Rottweiler, pretty much. :)
We lost Chowder last night. Mrs Kov found him in the bottom of his cage... had a little burial for him.. >:|

As we have one male Gpig left, what is best, get another as I have been told that they get lonely...
I would get another, yes. They can be left on their own, but he'd need more attention to stave off the loneliness.
Off to the Pet shop then.
Aw, sorry to hear that Kov.

Hope you can find a nice new pal for your other Guinnea Pig at the pet shop.
Mina cat went to the vet today. last time she went she got a bit wobbly and :spew: in the box. This time she cranked it up a notch and had a go at crapping through the bars. she does not travel well :(

seems fine now though.
Rubbish pet news all round. :(
I'll attempt to lighten the mood with a picture of our rabbit being a shoe:

Attachment:
shoe.jpg

And yep, that's an A+ energy rating. 8KG max load. We don't fuck about. :attitude: :metul:
BTW: I categorically refuse to drink Fosters. It was left there after a party. Many months ago. Just so you know.
My beautiful little princess, Ellie, died in my arms yesterday afternoon. I had to have her put to sleep; taken by that evil, insidious thief in the night, cancer.

She was such a good, good girl - an absolute angel. I'm sure most people think/say the same about their dog(s), but if they looked for kindness, reliability and loyalty at Crufts (instead of the entirely arbitrary nonsense that they do actually look for, seems to me), she'd have won BIS. Not a bad bone in her body; unbeknownst to us, even whilst she bore her terrible illness right until the end, she showed no sign of her pain and was as loving and patient as she ever was, enjoying life, loving us, her Charlie (our other dear Rott), our grandchildren - even the cat.

I know it's stupid; I know it was for the best, but looking into her trusting eyes at the vet - pleading me to take her home, even as the vet injected lethal poison into her veins on my say so as she died in my arms through my tears, her warm fur, her doggy smell, going limp as her life spilled away, and then her open, dead, sightless eyes as her lifeless form lay on her mat... it has broken my heart and will haunt me forever. I feel like her executioner.

Love your dog with all your heart, every day; for you never know when your next day with them will be your last.

RIP my little sweet. :luv: :luv: :luv: :( :( :( :'(
Holy shit man, that's a heartbreaking post right there. You have all my sympathies.
Man, so sorry Cavey.
Sorry to hear that Cavey.
Really sorry to hear about Ellie, Cavey.

Got choked reading that, especially as we too have an elderly pooch ourselves.
Thanks for your kind words guys.
So sorry Cavey, I dread the day something happens to my little Willow, we have them for such a short time :( Shed a few tears reading your post, you've managed to capture exactly the thoughts we must all have when we have our dog at the vets. Hope your family are ok and your other doggy isn't moping about too much xxx
Really sorry to hear that cavey. :(
So very sorry to hear that Cavey - as someone who has had to have one cat and one dog put down, I know exactly how you must feel.

It's not easy, but it's in the best interests of the animal. You do all that you can for them, but sometimes euthanasia is the only option.

:(
Captain Caveman wrote:
My beautiful little princess, Ellie, died in my arms yesterday afternoon. I had to have her put to sleep; taken by that evil, insidious thief in the night, cancer.

She was such a good, good girl - an absolute angel. I'm sure most people think/say the same about their dog(s), but if they looked for kindness, reliability and loyalty at Crufts (instead of the entirely arbitrary nonsense that they do actually look for, seems to me), she'd have won BIS. Not a bad bone in her body; unbeknownst to us, even whilst she bore her terrible illness right until the end, she showed no sign of her pain and was as loving and patient as she ever was, enjoying life, loving us, her Charlie (our other dear Rott), our grandchildren - even the cat.

I know it's stupid; I know it was for the best, but looking into her trusting eyes at the vet - pleading me to take her home, even as the vet injected lethal poison into her veins on my say so as she died in my arms through my tears, her warm fur, her doggy smell, going limp as her life spilled away, and then her open, dead, sightless eyes as her lifeless form lay on her mat... it has broken my heart and will haunt me forever. I feel like her executioner.

Love your dog with all your heart, every day; for you never know when your next day with them will be your last.

RIP my little sweet. :luv: :luv: :luv: :( :( :( :'(

Knowing what a huge loss that must be I am truly sorry to hear that.

My cats are my world (literally, they are one of the very few things I can interact with without being judged or made fun of/get annoyed). So my thoughts are with you.

I actually have nightmares about my cats passing away :(
Thanks guys, appreciated. :hug:

I find the whole issue of animals - dogs in particular in my own case, because I love them so much - to be a terrible dilemma. On the one hand, I just couldn't be without their unqualified, unremitting, unconditional love and loyalty; my life would have been, and would be, so much the poorer without. But on the other hand, losing them - particularly "by my own hand" and say so when all's said and done, however I try to dress it up - is unbearable and truly excruciating - diabolical in fact. I look at Charlie's ever-greying muzzle and my heart feels fit to burst with fear at even the very thought, and of course, even now of all times, I cower away from that terrible thought and put it right to the back of my still-grieving mind, just as I always do.

They say it's better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all. But there again, the "losing" bit is none the less a bitter pill to have to swallow, despite this truism. :'(

I find myself in irrational anger - rage even - at the thought of this entirely worthy, good, innocent creature having to suffer then die young, for reason(s) unknown, but of course, life isn't fair. How on Earth people deal with losing their children/spouse is simply beyond my wildest and most dreadful comprehension. I truly believe that such a thing would break me forever.
Cavey, I'm really sorry for your loss. Your post made me well up with sadness. I experienced the very same thing many years back and it broke my heart in two. We really do love them like children.

Edit: Just seen your second post whilst I wrote the above and cannot agree enough.
Captain Caveman wrote:

I find the whole issue of animals - dogs in particular in my own case, because I love them so much - to be a terrible dilemma. On the one hand, I just couldn't be without their unqualified, unremitting, unconditional love and loyalty; my life would have been, and would be, so much the poorer without. But on the other hand, losing them - particularly "by my own hand" and say so when all's said and done, however I try to dress it up - is unbearable and truly excruciating - diabolical in fact. I look at Charlie's ever-greying muzzle and my heart feels fit to burst with fear at even the very thought, and of course, even now of all times, I cower away from that terrible thought and put it right to the back of my still-grieving mind, just as I always do.

They say it's better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all. But there again, the "losing" bit is none the less a bitter pill to have to swallow, despite this truism. :'(

I find myself in irrational anger - rage even - at the thought of this entirely worthy, good, innocent creature having to suffer then die young, for reason(s) unknown, but of course, life isn't fair. How on Earth people deal with losing their children/spouse is simply beyond my wildest and most dreadful comprehension. I truly believe that such a thing would break me forever.

It gets easier with time. And with animals the nice bit is that it's pretty much all happy memories. We took in a stray bengal cat once. She was a runt to begin with, but was given (in good faith) to a farmer about 8 miles from where we lived. We named her Hurley (after Liz Hurley) and she was the funniest thing. She was about four years old when we found her so by that stage she was a wild one. She was funny with her affection, used to follow us around chirping and telling us what she was thinking but cowered when you tried to pet her. I think she just didn't trust any one, us included, enough to allow affection.

But it didn't matter. She did the funniest things :D If the litterbox was dirty she would poo in the water bowl. God, I still crack up thinking about that. She also loved scrambled eggs, so every time we came back from the diner she was there waiting for us :D

Sadly it turned out she had Corona virus, to which there is no cure. She slowly started losing weight (not that there was much of her to begin with) and eventually became too weak to stand so we knew it was time. I couldn't do it. I just, couldn't do it. I was OK until we got to the door of the vet, then I just literally froze, unable to move.

I felt like such a coward. I waited outside until it was over. We only had her for around a year but I'll never forget her. I still to this day have her collar. Even through all of the turmoil and things getting lost when I came back home I kept it with my very important stuff like a watch from my Granddad.

It'll get easier mate. It's hard at first, but the memories are always really lovely and funny ones :)
Captain Caveman wrote:

Having a badly suffering sick pet put down can be looked at as your ultimate love for the animal - you've loved it and looked after the animal for however many years and that animal has loved you back. It now needs your help to relieve its suffering from some incurable disease or injury, and you do what you know is right, however hard it is.

I truly hated having to have one of my cats put down a few years ago, and my eldest dog just a few months ago, but in my heart I knew it was the right thing to do and I don't regret it (but naturally I wish that it hadn't been necessary).

You did the right thing - don't beat yourself up over it.
Sorry to hear about your dog, Cavey. As above, you did the right thing. :(
Captain Caveman wrote:

Thoughts like these really play on my mind sometimes. I was in a bad place when I got my dog and without her my recovery would have taken much longer. Having her encouraged me to spend my first night in my home alone again, and to go outside alone with only her for company. Panic attacks reduced and nightmares were easier to wake up from.
To lose her will be awful, I really don't know how strong you must have to be to carry on after losing a partner or child. Saying that makes me feel a little more patience for my parents and their fairly new habit of calling me every day and wanting to stay with me whenever they're in Scotland.
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

@Gilly, sorry to hear of your past troubles. :( :luv:

Dogs really are so therapeutic as I myself know only too well as well. I guess we have to make the most of the time that we do have with them, which hopefully in your own case will be a good few years yet, I'm sure it will be. C xx
Feel for you Cavey. I had to have my dog put down the same day my Father died. Awful times. Still haven't recovered 4 years on.
Dimrill wrote:
Feel for you Cavey. I had to have my dog put down the same day my Father died. Awful times. Still haven't recovered 4 years on.

Thanks Dimrill mate. :hug:

Sorry to hear of that account though mate, dreadful. :(
Well maybe to lighten the mood a bit, we are getting a kitten Sunday

A bit concerned to be honest as the wife is blinded by wanting to get one and not thinking the practical stuff through
Page 25 of 39 [ 1923 posts ]