Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1082 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: eBook readers & Kindle
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 20:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Dimrill wrote:
myp wrote:
There are absolutely no discernable reasons not to pay for eBooks when owning a Kindle.

Large library of already purchased books (I have a room in our house for them) and buying digital copies means costing more than a new physical copy?

Yeah, that's reasonable. They should do a mail-in service where you send in paper books and get the ebook version free. Apart from pretty books, obv.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 20:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That's because it's a better product.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 20:46 
Skillmeister

My experience of buying a David Eddings book from Amazon (my paperback has fallen apart from 20 years of over-reading) left me with a sour taste. None of the maps were included in the digital copy, so I had to scan them myself, convert the .mobi to .zhtml, edit the html to include the images, then reconvert to .mobi to get what I already had as a paperback. And I had to pay more for the digital copy than I would've for a new paperback. Fucking clowns.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 21:55 
ugvm'er at heart...

Yeah, but I assume that was punishment for reading Eddings...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 22:01 
UltraMod

Dimrill wrote:
myp wrote:
There are absolutely no discernable reasons not to pay for eBooks when owning a Kindle.

Large library of already purchased books (I have a room in our house for them) and buying digital copies means costing more than a new physical copy?

A Kindle isn't designed to replace nice hardback first editions. It's meant to replace paperbacks. I'm not going to rebuy any books I currently own, the same way I won't buy Blu-rays for stuff I already own on DVD.

I don't know where I stand on downloading books you already own a physical copy of. I think I'm ok with it, but I wouldn't do it myself. :shrug:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 22:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I've done it - mainly because I want to reread a series and struggle with the very idea of actually picking up a paper book to do so.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 22:08 

Craster wrote:
I've done it - mainly because I want to reread a series and struggle with the very idea of actually picking up a paper book to do so.

Same here. I've rebought paperbacks I've leant out or misplaced and I rebought Anathem because my 1st edition hardback is 1100 pages and weighs well over a kilo (so is borderline impossible to read).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 22:08 
UltraMod

Craster wrote:

Yeah, this is the problem I now have. I have tons of unread books on my shelves and have absolutely no intention of ever reading them now.

I may just get rid and just buy the ones I want to read on the Kindle, although that could get expensive...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:52 

I torrent the eBooks I already own paper versions of. I then give away any paperbacks (to charity shops & relatives) I no longer need. I will always buy hardbacks as they look nice on my shelves.

No way am I paying for books I've already paid out for, regardless of format.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:53 
Skillmeister

myp wrote:
A Kindle isn't designed to replace nice hardback first editions. It's meant to replace paperbacks.

Stock Myp response #3. I think you'll find that the Kindle was designed to replace books. Pretty sure that was their intention when making it. Would be quite odd if they were just aiming to replace paperbacks during the design phase. That's why you can buy new books for a pound more than the nice hardback when they're released.

Anyway, I have over 2000 books upstairs so replacing them all would be prohibitively expensive. I have issues with the way that they've found to sell us the same books again. It just stinks to high heaven of the film industry changing the format on which you can buy films every 10 years or so to try and get you to buy them again. 3D books next?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:18 
Unpossible!

I don't think in their wildest dreams that Amazon expects you to throw away your books in favour of digital copy stored in THE CLOUD. But perhaps when you come to buy a new book, nothing special, just a run of the mill paperback that someone recommended to you, then you'll buy a kindle copy instead. And from now on. FOREVER.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:22 

Indeed! There's no way we're getting rid of our book collection just because I have a Kindle.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:25 

Yeah, I probably would if you could rip books as easily as you can rip CDs, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:26 
Unpossible!

They're not going to kill the coffee table book business until they have an a3 sized full colour self-illuminated version of the Kindle for home reading.

That'd be nice.

Post subject: eBook readers & Kindle
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:57 

Dimrill wrote:
myp wrote:
A Kindle isn't designed to replace nice hardback first editions. It's meant to replace paperbacks.

Stock Myp response #3. I think you'll find that the Kindle was designed to replace books. Pretty sure that was their intention when making it. Would be quite odd if they were just aiming to replace paperbacks during the design phase. That's why you can buy new books for a pound more than the nice hardback when they're released.

They were probably aiming to give an alternative medium for most books, but it's never going to work for some items. Books on art with reproductions of paintings, books where design and layout is key.

I couldn't replace my knitting pattern books with kindle versions. It's ok for more instructional books, where the bulk of the book is about how to knit, and things like that, but for... I don't know, a book of Jumpers to Knut, you're going to want to see the artwork in a better form than on the kindle, and colourwork charts will not work, especially larger charts.

I must say, I do love the kindle. I like to read whilst laying on my front, but with a paper book I have to keep moving my arm to turn pages. With my kindle I just keep my thumb in place and press to turn. Plus portability, etc etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:58 

Dimrill wrote:
3D books next?
GTFF! I'm no wearing funny glasses just so I can read books.

Oh :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:18 

Dimrill wrote:
It just stinks to high heaven of the film industry changing the format on which you can buy films every 10 years or so to try and get you to buy them again. 3D books next?
This is, and always was, a facile argument. If you don't find the quality and convenience upgrade of re-buying music you own on LP on CD, or re-buying a DVD as a Bluray, or re-buying a book as an ebook, then the answer is simple: don't do it. There's no sinister conspiracy to make your old stuff stop working or somehow worthless, so there's no reason to upgrade unless you want to upgrade -- and if the company can convince you the upgrade is worth it, then there's nothing to complain about.

If Amazon and/or the book publishers started sneaking into your house and tearing pages from your old books, then you'd have a point. Until then, the books you have are just the same as they always were.

Mimi wrote:
Books on art with reproductions of paintings, books where design and layout is key.
The interesting question for coffee table books is whether things like the iPad can replace them. Apple's announcement last week was focussed on text books, but the interactivity features it is touting -- colour, animation, illustrations, video, flexible layouts -- could also make the iPad a player in the coffee table book market. The question comes down to whether consumers will prefer a heavy, glossy, luxurious book (with, I'd argue, a superior feel) to the superior features a tablet could bring. It'll be interesting to watch this over the coming years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Amazon have released a "send to Kindle" PC application.
You basically "print" stuff to your Kindle, so it works with anything that can be printed out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/? ... gmgamzn-20

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:24 

Grim... wrote:
Oh, the clever fuckers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:28 

@Gaywood, VHS disagrees ;)

& I've a load of now obsolete videos that I'll never have the opportunity to buy on DVD. Feart of the day when my player breaks & I cannae fix it :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:30 

I reckon that you'll still be able to source a working VHS machine for as long as you are alive. But again it's just progress, not some kind of cynical ploy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Oh, the clever fuckers.

Interesting to think, though, that only a couple of years ago everyone was thrilled when Amazon released the desktop version of the Kindle software so they could read books on their PCs. Now it seems we're heading the other way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:45 

Grim... wrote:
Interesting to think, though, that only a couple of years ago everyone was thrilled when Amazon released the desktop version of the Kindle software so they could read books on their PCs. Now it seems we're heading the other way.
I'd argue we're heading in the direction of "access all our stuff on all our stuff". That's a common-sense good thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:46 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Dimrill wrote:
It just stinks to high heaven of the film industry changing the format on which you can buy films every 10 years or so to try and get you to buy them again. 3D books next?
This is, and always was, a facile argument. If you don't find the quality and convenience upgrade of re-buying music you own on LP on CD, or re-buying a DVD as a Bluray, or re-buying a book as an ebook, then the answer is simple: don't do it. There's no sinister conspiracy to make your old stuff stop working or somehow worthless, so there's no reason to upgrade unless you want to upgrade -- and if the company can convince you the upgrade is worth it, then there's nothing to complain about.

If Amazon and/or the book publishers started sneaking into your house and tearing pages from your old books, then you'd have a point. Until then, the books you have are just the same as they always were.

Mimi wrote:
Books on art with reproductions of paintings, books where design and layout is key.
The interesting question for coffee table books is whether things like the iPad can replace them. Apple's announcement last week was focussed on text books, but the interactivity features it is touting -- colour, animation, illustrations, video, flexible layouts -- could also make the iPad a player in the coffee table book market. The question comes down to whether consumers will prefer a heavy, glossy, luxurious book (with, I'd argue, a superior feel) to the superior features a tablet could bring. It'll be interesting to watch this over the coming years.

Coffee table books are usually large format for a reason, I think. I've only seen iPads in shops, and from across the room at Myp's house, but I don't think that you could enjoy the aesthetics of such visual content on a screen the size of an iPad as you could a 16" square book of beautiful things. To see images in the same detail you'd have to zoom in so far that you'd lose sight of the whole picture.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:47 

Also, I think Kindles are affordable to many people in a way that iPads aren't.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:01 
Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:
You basically "print" stuff to your Kindle, so it works with anything that can be printed out.

Optimistic I know, but is it possible to just send it to your Amazon Kindle account without actually having a physical Kindle registered? I just use the Android app.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:02 

Mimi wrote:
Also, I think Kindles are affordable to many people in a way that iPads aren't.
If we're talking about the £50 high-end full-colour book market, affordability is a non-issue.

Mimi wrote:
I don't think that you could enjoy the aesthetics of such visual content on a screen the size of an iPad as you could a 16" square book of beautiful things.
I'm not disagreeing that the physical book has its own advantages -- I'm wondering aloud if those advantages outweigh the iPad's or not.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:16 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Optimistic I know, but is it possible to just send it to your Amazon Kindle account without actually having a physical Kindle registered? I just use the Android app.

:shrug:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:23 

I think that's a bit short sighted. I have a couple of beautiful 16" square coffee table books. They are beautiful books that retail at £20 but I got them for £5.99. I used to have a few others that were even cheaper. They may have been from discount stores, sales or second hand, and I can't afford an iPad.

And the advantages of iPad content over a large coffee table books mean that you are using the publication in a different way. Many coffee table books are produced and bought for their aesthetics, if you can't fully realise the format of the images on an iPad then it's essentially a different product, so not comparing like with like. More like comparing art with an Encarta article on that piece of art.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:24 

That was @DocG.

By the way, I'm not saying that one is better than the other, just that you can't replace some beautiful books with a small format electronic version.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:14 
Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:
devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:

:shrug:

Actually, I think it's because my Kindle app is registered to Amazon.co.uk rather than .com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:

Is that really any different to the fact that you can just email anything to your kindle right now?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:45 
Sitting balls-back folder

File/Print (or even 'click the print toolbar button') is easier than Save, <switch to gmail>, Compose, Attach, Send, <switch back>?

That and 'save as HTML/PDF/whatever Kindle supports' is historically shit in just about everything, unlike printing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:50 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

BikNorton wrote:
File/Print (or even 'click the print toolbar button') is easier than Save, <switch to gmail>, Compose, Attach, Send, <switch back>?

If you have a local mail client, it's 'File -> Save & Send' which is just as easy. I guess it's convenient if you don't though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Craster wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Is that really any different to the fact that you can just email anything to your kindle right now?

Doesn't it charge you for that?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:53 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

If you send it to [email protected] it'll charge you, and deliver it to you over 3G or wifi

If you send it to [email protected] it's free, but will only deliver over wifi.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 13:00 
Excellent Member

BikNorton wrote:
That and 'save as HTML/PDF/whatever Kindle supports' is historically shit in just about everything, unlike printing.

If that's the case then this new way of doing things isn't going to be any better as all it'll be doing in the background is saving to PDF then sending over the the Kindle (it even clarifies on the Amazon site that "documents are delivered in PDF format"). They'll be talking about 'printing' just because it's a concept that people already understand so it's easier to grasp.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 13:02 
Sleepyhead

Dimrill wrote:
myp wrote:

A pound MORE? For the vast majority of new, hardback releases that I've seen, the Kindle version has been cheaper. The latest Terry Pratchett hardback, for instance, was a fiver on Kindle.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 13:03 

Easier to go from well-formed printer output to PDF than trusting individual applications to get it right.

I'm not saying that accurate document conversion to PDF isn't possible, just that app vendors are historically shit at it - if they even bother trying (and many don't, which is why 'print to pdf' drivers are desirable enough that Microsoft wrote one).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 13:11 
Excellent Member

BikNorton wrote:
which is why 'print to pdf' drivers are desirable enough that Microsoft wrote one).

Printing to PDF is good because it instantly converts stuff to a single file that anyone can read using freely available software; as opposed to either (a) proprietary file formats like .doc or (b) files that can only be saved accurately as a jumble of other filetypes like when you save a web page. I'm not convinced that the ability to print to PDF was ever driven by the actual formatting of the output because I'm pretty sure this is still done by the application in question e.g. if you select to print a webpage from Firefox I'm pretty sure it's still Firefox that's formatting the content before the converstion to PDF, it's not the driver itself that's doing this. Unless I'm totally wrong about that; anyone who knows for sure care to weigh in?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 13:16 

Craster wrote:
If you send it to [email protected] it'll charge you, and deliver it to you over 3G or wifi

If you send it to [email protected] it's free, but will only deliver over wifi.

What if you send it to [email protected] and you don't have 3G?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 13:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It'll deliver it to you over wifi, and charge you for it. So don't do that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 13:46 

Craster wrote:

no, you've got that the wrong way around. Over wifi is free. It's via 3G that it charges.

So, GY, if you don't have 3G, only wifey, then [email protected] will be free. But you night's as well use the free address if you have a 3G enabled version.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 13:47 

Wifey? :DD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 13:49 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mimi wrote:
Craster wrote:

no, you've got that the wrong way around. Over wifi is free. It's via 3G that it charges.

So, GY, if you don't have 3G, only wifey, then [email protected] will be free. But you night's as well use the free address if you have a 3G enabled version.

Sure? I understood it was only free if you sent it via the free address.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 13:59 

No, my kindle guide said that it will always try to deliver it for free over wifi first, but if that's not available it will deliver via 3G for a fee.

If you use the free address it forces the kindle to wait for a wifi connection.

But there's no point in not using the free address, anyway, if you want to transfer via wifi.

The kindle documentation should confirm this, but it is how I remember/understood it. Check for yourself to be sure, but I'm sure I remember it saying that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 14:07 

Bamba wrote:
Printing to PDF is good because it instantly converts stuff to a single file that anyone can read using freely available software; as opposed to either (a) proprietary file formats like .doc or (b) files that can only be saved accurately as a jumble of other filetypes like when you save a web page. I'm not convinced that the ability to print to PDF was ever driven by the actual formatting of the output because I'm pretty sure this is still done by the application in question e.g. if you select to print a webpage from Firefox I'm pretty sure it's still Firefox that's formatting the content before the converstion to PDF, it's not the driver itself that's doing this. Unless I'm totally wrong about that; anyone who knows for sure care to weigh in?
You're just misunderstanding me - I'm just saying that apps that offer "save as <format that isn't their own>" tend to do a shit job of it, if they do it at all, whereas they tend to get printing to paper right.

So it makes sense to sit as a printer driver on the other side of the generic Windows printer stuff and convert that to PDF well - it effectively adds the functionality to apps that don't have it, and works around fuck-ups of apps that do a bad "straight to PDF" job.

Edit: And yes, Windows apps generate the formatted output as a slightly specialised "window" using the standard Windows API calls, then the printer driver takes that and does whatever it needs to put it on paper (or in a PDF).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 14:12 
Skillmeister

A Corgi somehow found its way into my house while I was asleep and chewed up all my David Eddings books. I'd like to think it was coincidence, but....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 14:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Dimrill wrote:
A Corgi somehow found its way into my house while I was asleep and chewed up all my David Eddings books. I'd like to think it was coincidence, but....

Check its collar. If it has "Property of Jeff Bezos" on the collar, it's definitive evidence of the conspiracy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 14:16 
Skillmeister

It just has "RAND Corporation" on it. I think it may be a reverse vampire.

Reply to topic  [ 1082 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next