Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ] 
 Post subject: No means no, Yes means no? Silence means no?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:20 
Legendary Boogeyman

I'm not exactly down with the cool kids of the internet, but one of my YouTube subs is Alex Day, probably most famous for getting to no. 4 in the Christmas charts a few years ago from YouTube fame.

I was vaguely aware that he hadn't posted a new video in yonks, but I'd put that down to the fact that he was making a truckload of dosh from previous videos, his card game, and a new book about the london tube he'd secured a publisher for.

Today this video pops up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqfWxwCMYKA

Where it transpires his silence of many months is down to a series of accusations on Tumblr of him being a sexual predator of underage girls.

Having done a bit of backreading it would appear that some girls he's had sex with (all over age of consent), or some measure of sexy time, have come forward to say that while they didn't say no to anything at the time, they nevertheless 'felt pressured' into doing it, but said nothing.

Now about a dozen people have come forward to say that similarly they either had an unhappy relationship with him, or he flirted with them, or that otherwise he was a womaniser that has cheated on girlfriends and so on.

This is all news to me, and yet I'm amazed by the venom of the YouTube comments that are practically calling him a serial rapist when this is clearly not the case. Not only have no charges been filed or complaints brought to the police, there doesn't seem to be a single instance where any girl has said 'no' and he's proceeded anyway. A couple have said they said 'no' which he accepted but made them feel 'guilty' about it, and apparently this is just as bad.

He behaviour makes him an unquestionable dick, but not a rapist, and not a sexual predator. The suggestion is that he, as the man, needs to be psychic about whether the girl in question might feel uncomfortable about some kind of sexual interaction without saying so, or otherwise assume there is no consent despite an apparent willingness to do things even if this is contrary to the behaviour at the time.

The question is here, how are you supposed to tell? I think it's rather insulting to assume that women are so feeble that the pressure of a man renders them mute to the simple act of saying 'I'm not in to this'. The guy might be flirty, or even a bit pushy, but if they desist immediately if you actually say 'no' then can he be held to account regardless? Does being starstruck at someone's YouTube fame make them additionally susceptible to this kind of behaviour? Is that a worthy excuse? Where is the line here?

The accusations flying around have caused his publisher to drop his book and there now seems to be a hoard of people determined to harass him off the internet. This seems hugely excessive.

Does regret count? Answers on the back of a post.

Post subject: Re: No means no, Yes means no? Silence means no?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:29 
Excellent Member

He is pretty much confirming a lot of the information\issue in interviews

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/26664725

Quote:
"I created situations that put people under enormous pressure," the 24-year-old said in a statement on Tumblr.

"In my sexual experiences with people, nobody ever outright told me, 'No, stop' or pushed me away, or I'd immediately have stopped doing whatever we were doing.

"The model of consent that I followed, not that I specifically thought about it at the time, was that only, 'no' meant, 'no'. That is not what consent is."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:41 
Legendary Boogeyman

asfish wrote:
That is not what consent is.

And so this spinning debate continues - what is consent? No means no, except when it doesn't. Yes might also mean no, if you didn't really mean it and felt pressured? Silence means no, even if you cooperatively go along with everything at the time?

I almost feel like the only safe way to have sex with someone you don't know really well and trust is to have a signed agreement, but that also wouldn't work because you can withdraw consent at any time which might also be mid-thrust, but also might not be obvious or verbal. How are you supposed to tell?

I'm stealing this from a reddit post I read on this:

Quote:
You know, this is what I don't get. He didn't even know he was making these girls feel uncomfortable at the time. They gave no indication that they were uncomfortable. What exactly are the expectations of people, if the burden in a social context is entirely on whoever happens to 'feel less vulnerable'.. That's just... I disagree completely. Humans are humans, and should be expected to act as such. Act as equal beings. If you are uncomfortable, it is your responsibility to rectify the situation, and if someone tells you they are uncomfortable, it is your responsibility to help. I don't see how it's fair to expect that men perfectly anticipate the desires of people at all times... That's not how humans naturally communicate, and if anything, it only furthers the gender gap... It seems to imply that women or whichever group supposedly has less "power" is completely unable to care for themselves! But that's bullshit. You're a living, breathing, thinking being with the ability to do whatever you want. It's not society's problem to take care of your inability to speak up.

Is this fair? It sounds downright logical to me. Is it up to the individual to be responsible for the possibility of a person's hidden reluctance? Such a grey area.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:48 
ugvm'er at heart...

I think it all comes down to what these situations were ""I created situations that put people under enormous pressure," the 24-year-old said in a statement on Tumblr."

Without knowing that detail, it's impossible to judge.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:49 
SavyGamer

I while ago I adopted a policy of waiting for enthusiasm, not just consent.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:51 
ugvm'er at heart...

<makes a joke about married life>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:51 
Legendary Boogeyman

LewieP wrote:

That seems sensible, but was that on the back of anything? Or just knowing the possibility of retrospective accusation exists?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:55 
UltraMod

I would contribute, but Flis will come along and put my point forward much more eloquently, so I'll just wait this time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:56 
SavyGamer

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
LewieP wrote:

That seems sensible, but was that on the back of anything? Or just knowing the possibility of retrospective accusation exists?

I guess it was in response to discussions around the hazy boundaries of exactly what constitutes consent. Plenty of instances of rape occur where the perpetrator doesn't even realise they are committing rape, they are just assuming consent that hasn't been given.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I used to use psychological tricks while chatting women up to make them think they fancied me. At what point does that cross a line?

(Answer: hypnosis)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:10 
Legendary Boogeyman

LewieP wrote:
Plenty of instances of rape occur where the perpetrator doesn't even realise they are committing rape, they are just assuming consent that hasn't been given.

While I concur that the absence of a 'no' doesn't mean consent, equally the absence of an explicit 'Yes' doesn't mean rape either. This is part of the problem - some seems ostensibly willing but ultimately decide they didn't really want it and it's suddenly rape?

America seems to have many examples of retrospective rape allegations of this kind, and plenty of examples of false rape accusations that serve to destroy the life of the accused just as effectively as if they'd actually done it.

This is a fear that any man can have. What's to stop any previous partner saying that on x occasion many years ago they didn't really fancy it and are now calling rape? Mud sticks and when you lose your job, friends, family, after being found 'not guilty' or finding there was no case to answer then this doesn't magically repair the damage of the accusation.

Can a man not feel equally pressured? Is his defence ultimately meaningless because if he gets an erection then he's clearly up for it?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:12 
UltraMod

Dangerously close to MRA talk here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 
Master of dodgy spelling....

American Nervoso wrote:

Motorcycle Racing Association??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:19 
Legendary Boogeyman

American Nervoso wrote:

Hmmm Yes, I know the MRA have an enormous stigma attached to them, and yet this cannot be allowed to negate the validity of some of these arguments. It would be like saying that issues affecting women should be muted because some people find feminists fucking annoying.

In relation to my previous post, take this poor guy as an example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Bank ... n_football)

Quote:
In the summer of 2002, Banks was arrested and charged after classmate Wanetta Gibson said that he dragged her into a stairway at Polytechnic High School (Poly) and raped her. Prosecutors offered him a plea deal—plead guilty and face at most 18 months in prison, or go to trial and risk a sentence of 41 years to life in prison if convicted. Years later, Banks said that his lawyer advised him to take the plea deal, saying, "When you go into that courtroom, the jury is going to see a big black teenager and you're automatically going to be assumed guilty." A horrified Banks wanted to talk to his mother, but was told he had 10 minutes to decide whether to take the deal. Banks ultimately pleaded no contest to forcible rape and was sentenced to six years in prison and five years of probation. He also had to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.[16] Wanetta Gibson and her mother Wanda Rhodes sued the Long Beach Unified School District, claiming the Poly campus was not a safe environment, and won a $1.5 million settlement.[17][18] In March 2011, Gibson contacted Banks on Facebook, met with him, and admitted that she had fabricated the story. Banks secretly recorded Gibson's confession, but she refused to tell prosecutors that she had lied so she wouldn't have to return the money she and her family had won in court. Nevertheless, with Gibson's taped admission and help from California Innocence Project attorneys, Los Angeles County prosecutors overturned Banks' conviction on May 24, 2012.[18]

On April 12, 2013, the Long Beach Unified School District announced it was suing Wanetta Gibson for $2 million in an effort to recoup the $1.5 million she received, along with attorney's fees and punitive damages.[19] On June 14, 2013, the school district won a $2.6 million judgment against Gibson, which includes the $750,000 settlement initially paid to her along with attorney's fees, interest, and $1 million in punitive damages

Victims clearly need to come forward and real rapists put behind bars - no sensible person will argue against that. But what's the defence of innocent people supposed to be in these situations? This guy basically had to admit guilt because he was given a binary choice between a small sentence or a massive sentence if he contested and was found guilty anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:24 
UltraMod

Victims clearly need to come forward and real rapists put behind bars - no sensible person will argue against that. But what's the defence of innocent people supposed to be in these situations? This guy basically had to admit guilt because he was given a binary choice between a small sentence or a massive sentence if he contested and was found guilty anyway.

Let's turn that on its head. Why should a small amount of cases like the above stop the need for an increase in rape convictions? At the moment it's shockingly low and heavily in favour of the defendant. Men just feel they can rape with impunity and will (probably) get away with it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

So you're happy with the phrase "I don't care how many innocent people go to jail if it helps us catch guilty people"?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:32 

LewieP wrote:
LewieP wrote:

I guess it was in response to discussions around the hazy boundaries of exactly what constitutes consent. Plenty of instances of rape occur where the perpetrator doesn't even realise they are committing rape, they are just assuming consent that hasn't been given.

What do you mean? Person too drunk to say no?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

KovacsC wrote:
LewieP wrote:
LewieP wrote:

"Not saying no" isn't consent - saying "yes" is consent.

But if you're drunk (or, in this case, feel under pressure) you might say yes when you don't want to.

I know I have.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:35 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
<makes a joke about married life>

Plenty of material to be had there :DD

It does make me glad to be married though.

I guess you have to have been there to know the true facts here, but it almost looks like a consent contract needs to be signed before you do anything these days.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:35 
Legendary Boogeyman

American Nervoso wrote:
Men just feel they can rape with impunity and will (probably) get away with it.

There are plenty of converse examples where this is indeed the case, but I'd modify your comment to stipulate 'some' men, not men in general. Men as a majority don't rape.

So the problem is encouraging victims to come forward, and there are inarguable instances of rape where there's a predatory aggressor and a victim. No consent is given, penetration is forced, and it's seriously traumatic. I can't even imagine what it's like.

But here I'm discussing the grey area. Consensual (ostensibly?) sex with regret, or with the retrospective feeling of it being pressured albeit not forced. Rape? Or where sex has not occurred but 'other stuff' has in similar circumstances - sexual assault?

I believe in American law (someone with knowledge people correct me), if two drunk people have sex, the man is the rapist and the woman is the victim. It's assumed that a woman's ability to give consent is nullified by alcohol, but a man's is not.

There are also different levels of drunk. A girl is passed out drunk or barely conscious and you have sex with her? Rape, no question. But you're both drunk but 'alert' and you have sex and latterly regret it? Still rape? Apparently so.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:36 

Grim... wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
LewieP wrote:
LewieP wrote:

"Not saying no" isn't consent - saying "yes" is consent.

But if you're drunk (or, in this case, feel under pressure) you might say yes when you don't want to.

I know I have.

Good point.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:39 
Legendary Boogeyman

Well I've certainly had sex with a gf when I didn't really want to or wasn't enjoying it, but in that situation she seemed very keen or would be disappointed otherwise (or depending on the girl, would see my unwillingness as a rejection of her). Obviously I wouldn't consider that rape even if she was on top, just a bit of a relationship chore. :shrug:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:40 
Excellent Member

Well I've certainly had sex with a gf when I didn't really want to or wasn't enjoying it, but in that situation she seemed very keen or would be disappointed otherwise (or depending on the girl, would see my unwillingness as a rejection of her). Obviously I wouldn't consider that rape even if she was on top, just a bit of a relationship chore. :shrug:

I guess your not married then? :DD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:42 
SavyGamer

I can't fathom anyone considering the issue of unfounded false accusations of rape being a bigger problem than the huge numbers of incidents of rape that do not get prosecuted.

Certainly not suggesting that due process should be abandoned in attempts to convict alleged rapists, but I would certainly advocate any attempts to meaningfully educate young people (especially men) on how to properly ask for consent (and indeed how to take no for an answer).

Again, plenty of individuals who commit rape do not consider themselves to have done so, and certainly don't identify as rapists. There doesn't have to be an explicit threat of violence for someone to fear violence if they don't comply.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:44 
UltraMod

LewieP wrote:
I can't fathom anyone considering the issue of unfounded false accusations of rape being a bigger problem than the huge numbers of incidents of rape that do not get prosecuted.

Certainly not suggesting that due process should be abandoned in attempts to convict alleged rapists, but I would certainly advocate any attempts to meaningfully educate young people (especially men) on how to properly ask for consent (and indeed how to take no for an answer).

Again, plenty of individuals who commit rape do not consider themselves to have done so, and certainly don't identify as rapists. There doesn't have to be an implicit threat of violence for someone to fear violence if they don't comply.

:this: :this: :this:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:48 
Excellent Member

I don't think drinking helps for either party in these situations.

Lowers expectations, behaviours and common sense, I would say that both sexes have a responsibility here.

Sadly if you look at footage of any town centre on a weekend there are 100's of people of both sexes so pissed they are going to fall into a situation varying from morning after regret to rape.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:50 
UltraMod

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:50 
Legendary Boogeyman

LewieP wrote:

And I'm happy to agree, I'm just saying that one doesn't negate the other.

The example of the YouTube guy here seems as though there's no defence against the more severe allegations of being a tantamount rapist or predator, because he's admitted he's a fast-talking womanising dickhead with girls that wish they hadn't given him the time of day. There's no actual suggestion of anything illegal, just much embarrassment and a lot of regret?

Call him a dickhead or a moron or a prick to women for being a cheating shit, but the labels of rapist and predator seem to have no grounds. It seems impossible for him to defend himself against it because any admission of poor judgement seems to be a tacit acceptance of any other accusation levelled in his direction.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

American Nervoso wrote:
LewieP wrote:

Again, plenty of individuals who commit rape do not consider themselves to have done so, and certainly don't identify as rapists. There doesn't have to be an implicit threat of violence for someone to fear violence if they don't comply.

:this: :this: :this:

But you're trying to fix one problem by encouraging the other :S

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:57 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
But you're trying to fix one problem by encouraging the other :S

Wanting higher rape conviction rates does not conflate with wanting to put innocent men in prison.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 13:01 
Legendary Boogeyman

But again, innocence is highly subjective here. You had sex with a dude, but didn't really want to but went along with it at the time. Are you prepared to completely fuck up his life and potentially put him in prison because of it?

Can this really be considered the same crime with the same punishment as a violent sexual assault with forced penetration? It's far too nebulous for my liking considering the stigma and potential punishment attached is identical.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 13:02 
Excellent Member

American Nervoso wrote:
I would contribute, but Flis will come along and put my point forward much more eloquently, so I'll just wait this time.

I'm very likely to disappoint you over this one! It's very difficult to have anything other than an emotive opinion on it; I think educating young people is the best way forward in a lot of cases.

I don't know anything about the situation the OP refers to, and I'm in work so I don't want to go researching just now but I will say this, while the issue of consent is a grey area, justice in unlikely to prevail one way or the other in the majority of cases. I think that in a lot of rape cases, the problem is proving consent. The price for rape is high if convicted but is the strength of one persons word against the other, in the absence of any other proof at all, enough to find someone guilty? Of course you'd throw a rapist behind bars but you can't find them guilty if you have any doubt that they did it.

I've told my eldest son that unless a girl specifically says 'yes' then he's not to touch them. I've also discussed with him that them changing their mind means stop, no matter how far they've gone up until that point. It's something I will constantly reinforce with him, too. It's awkward sometimes because he's my baby and I don't want to think of him kissing a girl, let alone anything else but if I don't make him more aware, who will? Both boys are very good and will talk to me about everything and anything at the moment so I'm getting it all in now while I still can, in the hope something sinks in. And asking a hormone fuelled teenage boy to show restraint and honour someone's wishes, should not be a great expectation. This "boys will be boys" attitude does not wash with me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 13:07 
Legendary Boogeyman

flis wrote:
This "boys will be boys" attitude does not wash with me.

Nor I, but I hope it would be generally considered that such an attitude is already archaic and more than a bit sexist.

I'm derping this thread with responses but I'll leave it for a bit with the following two thoughts.

1) If I ever thought the person I was with wasn't 100% in to it, that would be a horrifying instant boner-killer.

2) If my current gf makes any noise or squeak that doesn't sound positive, I'll pause and ask if everything is ok. Anything other than firm reassurance would make me stop, and I think that's the right way to go about it. I think it's fairly impractical to have a 'Would you like to have sex now? Please answer a firm Yes or No' in the foreplay.

Edit hijack: 19 year old has sex with 13 year old. Clearly not rape? American trash TV rubbish, but no mention of rape anywhere. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prwlOCzeLn0

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 13:15 
UltraMod

1) If I ever thought the person I was with wasn't 100% in to it, that would be a horrifying instant boner-killer.

2) If my current gf makes any noise or squeak that doesn't sound positive, I'll pause and ask if everything is ok. Anything other than firm reassurance would make me stop, and I think that's the right way to go about it. I think it's fairly impractical to have a 'Would you like to have sex now? Please answer a firm Yes or No' in the foreplay.

Completely agree. Sadly not all men think the same as we enlightened types.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 13:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Man, I had a girlfriend once that had the same face for "I like what you're doing" and "Something hurts".

That took some getting used to.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 13:45 
Excellent Member

Yes, obviously the older you get, the more in-tune with other people you get and the more competent you are socially. And the longer you're with someone, you know when you can playful pin your girlfriend down without getting a kick in the balls. However, when you meet someone for the first time, and you intend having sex with them for the first time upon that meeting, you need something a little clearer than easily misunderstood signals. When getting it wrong can lead to a rape accusation, whether you believe it should or not, is that a risk worth taking? A quick, "Are you sure you want to do this?" a few times with a new partner should become normal, I think.

I've been in situations where I've resigned myself to the fact things had gone too far to stop, situations I'd have gladly got out of if I was a little stronger or braver and had the confidence to say "I'm sorry but I've changed my mind". I'm definitely not saying a man should be punished for my change of heart but in my experience, men try to get you to change your mind and persuade you in every way they can instead of stopping. At that point you can either physically try to prevent them having sex with you, or just get on with it. Why should that be normal and the alternative of constantly seeking approval, not be?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 14:09 
Legendary Boogeyman

flis wrote:
men try to get you to change your mind and persuade you in every way they can instead of stopping. At that point you can either physically try to prevent them having sex with you, or just get on with it. Why should that be normal and the alternative of constantly seeking approval, not be?

Some people are weak and do really want the sex, so I can see why they might try to convince you even though that's quite pathetic. I suppose it's possible they think they could change a woman's mind (or perhaps be reassuring) with some encouragement if you're feeling anxious or awkward - that's a possibility, and they might be misreading the situation, but all conversation and action should be swiftly ended with a decisive 'No, get off me now please' and there's no two ways about it. As long as the man is responsive and complies instantly, that's cool?

I think it's fairly positive, although not exactly laudable, that they'd at least try to convince you to continue willingly rather than ignoring you and thereby raping you? As long as the underlying point is that No means No and saying so will cease all undesired activity, then there should be no fear or worry in saying it. I think 99.98% of men would comply too, except it being a bit awkward to go so far and then stop. Awkwardness or not wanting to disappoint shouldn't be the barrier.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 14:12 
UltraMod

Some men will continue even if the woman has said "no, I don't want to, get off me".

It's not always about sex, it's sometimes about power.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 14:18 
Legendary Boogeyman

American Nervoso wrote:
Some men will continue even if the woman has said "no, I don't want to, get off me".

Those would be the rapists then. Clear distinction. At that point any arguments of 'But she wanted it initially', and 'She said no but clearly didn't mean it', are all utterly devoid.

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]