Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30665 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 444, 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450 ... 614  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:33 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Today a 10 year old car isn't going to be fixed as readily if something goes wrong and the cost of running repairs is going to be higher.

Far more reliable, though.

Yeah. I had a mallet in the boot of my Renault 5 as sometimes it wouldn't start and I needed to hit the starter motor.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:36 

Cavey wrote:
@doc
I don't accept that, living standards have immeasurably improved since when I was young. I drove around in a 12 year old Capri and was considered flash and quite the catch (even if I do say so myself lol), and in order to do even that I had to source, and do the engine transplant in my mate's dad's garage and pump all my disposable income into it (I had a reasonable job too).
I'm quite surprised you don't seem to know that the 12-year-old cars of 30 years ago were a hell of a lot easier to work on with basic tools than the 12-year-old cars of today. I've changed gearboxes, replaced and tuned carbs and dizzy caps, swapped wheel bearings and brakes and batteries, polished valves, and swapped out cylinder heads -- all with little more than spanners, screwdrivers, a torquewrench, a timing light, feeler gauges, and an engine hoist. You can't get near modern cars without a suitcase full of Manufacturer's Proprietary Tools Numbers 1 Through 148 and an ECU programmer with OEM-specific software.

Quote:
I hardly see 20-somethings doing that now, most lease new Mercs and Beemers lol. Shit, even the sixth form car parks are chock full of brand spanking cars
I'm really confused, are we despairing because the kids of today are buying cars or because they are not buying cars?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:37 
UltraMod

DocG schooling Cavey on cars. Now I've seen it all. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:40 
Hibernating Druid

Hella Flush.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 

Lonewolves wrote:
DocG schooling Cavey on cars. Now I've seen it all. :D

Like I said, I'm surprised he didn't know that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:46 
Gogmagog

Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Today a 10 year old car isn't going to be fixed as readily if something goes wrong and the cost of running repairs is going to be higher.

Yeah. I had a mallet in the boot of my Renault 5 as sometimes it wouldn't start and I needed to hit the starter motor.

I have:
3 socket sets (all incomplete)
Various screwdrivers
3 sets spare bulbs (incomplete)
Open ended spanners of various sizes
Hammer
Spare hammer
Battery charger
Spark plug tool
4 spark plugs
Spare HT lead
Extension lead
Diagnostic thing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:48 

Lonewolves wrote:

This happened to a mate of mine. One day, it didn't work. He'd been pulled over for a "routine stop." And that's how he ended up getting a bump start from two coppers in uniform down the hard shoulder of the M6...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
[I've] swapped wheel bearings and brakes [on old cars]. You can't get near modern cars without a suitcase full of Manufacturer's Proprietary Tools Numbers 1 Through 148 and an ECU programmer with OEM-specific software.

Wheel bearings and brakes are still basically the same on modern cars. Swap away!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

/flashback

/shudder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:21 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

I have:
Various screwdrivers
Hammer
Spare hammer
Battery charger
Spark plug tool
4 spark plugs
Spare HT lead
Extension lead
Diagnostic thing

No blanket or food? What do you do if you break down in the snow?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:23 
Gogmagog

TheVision wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

I have:
Various screwdrivers
Hammer
Spare hammer
Battery charger
Spark plug tool
4 spark plugs
Spare HT lead
Extension lead
Diagnostic thing

Ice Mode prevents this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:29 

Also, for many kids these days, leasing a brand new car is actually cheaper than buying a car and then having to insure it for yourself.

Peugeot (and Renault I think) are/were doing offers for new cars that included insurance, servicing and tax - Peugeot called it their "Just Add Fuel" range.

The monthly fees were generally cheaper than buying a decent car outright, adding on tax, insurance (which might have been upwards of £2,000 depending on postcode just by itself) and all of the maintenance costs etc.

Hell, if you get the right lease deal at the right time of year you can get a brand new Skoda Citigo for £70 per month. In that case you do have to add insurance on top, but £70 per month - the car leasing market has basically turned cars into white goods and it's become much the same model as mobile phone upgrades etc.

I don't really understand why Brits have such a hard-on for German cars, either. Very few people that lust after a BMW/Mercedes will state that it's because it's "rear wheel drive", most people are interested in the number of buttons inside and whether it'll play music from their phone, and a staggering number of people will, if pressed, own up to it being because they want people to think they've "made it."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:29 
Hibernating Druid

TheVision wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

I have:
Various screwdrivers
Hammer
Spare hammer
Battery charger
Spark plug tool
4 spark plugs
Spare HT lead
Extension lead
Diagnostic thing

He licks his boom-boom down.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:31 
Hibernating Druid

GazChap wrote:
I don't really understand why Brits have such a hard-on for German cars, either. Very few people that lust after a BMW/Mercedes will state that it's because it's "rear wheel drive", most people are interested in the number of buttons inside and whether it'll play music from their phone, and a staggering number of people will, if pressed, own up to it being because they want people to think they've "made it."

Porsche owners being the wurst by far.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:32 

Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
[I've] swapped wheel bearings and brakes [on old cars]. You can't get near modern cars without a suitcase full of Manufacturer's Proprietary Tools Numbers 1 Through 148 and an ECU programmer with OEM-specific software.

Wheel bearings and brakes are still basically the same on modern cars. Swap away!

True. But tweaking engine timing is a bit more complicated than loosening the dizzy cap's collar bolt and turning it a few degrees, though.

Re: sticky starter motors, I never had that. But my Calibra had a great thing where it would stall when the engine was warm if you let the revs get below 750 rpm or so. Not when it was cold or when it was hot -- only when it was warm. I assume the automatic choke was subtly fucked in some way I could never figure out. I had to blip the throttle when I was stopped at lights. The chap who owned the garage I used to get MOTs at euphemistically described it as "a car with a lot of character."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:33 
INFINITE POWAH

As I know far better than you lot what to splash the money on, motor-wise, this is what we're getting when I have the spare cash and the garage has been built (probably after Singapore, then):

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:34 
Hibernating Druid

I had to bash the starter motor with a more precise technique of hammer AND screwdriver on my Honda Concerto.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:37 

Ooooh, there's also the Horrific Tale Of What The Previous Owner Had Done To My Mini's Brakes. Most of you have probably heard that already over beers, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:39 
Unpossible!

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Ooooh, there's also the Horrific Tale Of What The Previous Owner Had Done To My Mini's Brakes. Most of you have probably heard that already over beers, though.

Not all of us

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:41 

We'll have storytime at the Cottage.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Next beer is scheduled for Wednesday*. Turn up!

*although Gaywood isn't coming

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 13:34 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cavey wrote:
@doc
I don't accept that, living standards have immeasurably improved since when I was young. I drove around in a 12 year old Capri and was considered flash and quite the catch (even if I do say so myself lol), and in order to do even that I had to source, and do the engine transplant in my mate's dad's garage and pump all my disposable income into it (I had a reasonable job too).
I'm quite surprised you don't seem to know that the 12-year-old cars of 30 years ago were a hell of a lot easier to work on with basic tools than the 12-year-old cars of today. I've changed gearboxes, replaced and tuned carbs and dizzy caps, swapped wheel bearings and brakes and batteries, polished valves, and swapped out cylinder heads -- all with little more than spanners, screwdrivers, a torquewrench, a timing light, feeler gauges, and an engine hoist. You can't get near modern cars without a suitcase full of Manufacturer's Proprietary Tools Numbers 1 Through 148 and an ECU programmer with OEM-specific software.

Quote:
I hardly see 20-somethings doing that now, most lease new Mercs and Beemers lol. Shit, even the sixth form car parks are chock full of brand spanking cars
I'm really confused, are we despairing because the kids of today are buying cars or because they are not buying cars?

Er, no one (except you) is saying anything about old cars being easier to work on, of course they are! Do you seriously think I don't know that? You said younger people in their early 20s didn't buy cars because they were "skint", but that's demonstrably rubbish given that living standards and levels of disposable income have inarguably improved since the early 80s.

I only mentioned all the dicking about I did on my old Capri back in the day precisely because I had no option due to acute lack of disposable cash and it was no different for any of my peers. The thought of leasing some brand spanking BMW or Mercedes, as is routinely done now, would've been absurd. I bloody wish lol.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 13:36 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

What are we defining as kids? 17 year olds or 25 year olds who these days are still living at home because moving out is unaffordable? I think that makes a major difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 13:39 

Cavey wrote:
Er, no one (except you) is saying anything about old cars being easier to work on, of course they are! Do you seriously think I don't know that? You said younger people in their early 20s didn't buy cars because they were "skint", but that's demonstrably rubbish given that living standards and levels of disposable income have inarguably improved since the early 80s.
Can you demonstrate that levels of disposable income for people in their 20s has grown in the last thirty years? Here's some hard data to the contrary, to get you started: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... n-y-income

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 13:40 
UltraMod

It's ok, Cavey is just offering alternative facts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 13:42 
Hibernating Druid

Cras wrote:
What are we defining as kids?

Charcoal outline with chalk highlights.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 13:43 
sneering elitist

I'm not a "kid" any more but honestly thinking of getting rid of my car. Feel like it's burning through cash (leaking coolant AGAIN) and 99% of the time I only use it to go to the gym, which is fucking ironic in itself.

I just need to learn to ride a bicycle without falling off...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 14:38 

Are we seriously arguing that normalised, mean wages haven't increased from the 1980s? I'm sat on a train right now but besides, I ain't your bitch, Gaywood. If you don't believe wages haven't gone up, accounting for inflation etc (that's what normalised means), well, that's your problem frankly.

Aside from the basic facts of the situation, you know I was actually there, right? So I can tell you first hand what it was like, not only for young people as I was, but also our parents and neighbours. Not one new car on our street, for instance; my old mum sewed and repaired all out clothes as kids, and we ate very basic home cooked food, and this despite both my parents working full time. I mean seriously, you haven't got a bloody scooby.

/cue lecture about how easy it was to repair clothes made in the 1970s :roll:

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 14:40 
UltraMod

Hahaha! Anecdote = fact it seems.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 14:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cavey wrote:
Are we seriously arguing that normalised, mean wages haven't increased from the 1980s?

They haven't, they've actually gone down a little. Compare them to the adjusted cost of a small car, and they've gone down even further. Compare them to a house and they don't exist.

I mean, I obviously I was alive too (as was Gaywood) and but I guess we must have lived on different streets, or something, because one guy on my street had a company car that was new.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 14:46 

Trolling again eh Myp? Bored are we?

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 14:47 
UltraMod

Cavey wrote:
Trolling again eh Myp? Bored are we?

Not at all. I'm genuinely amused.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 14:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I mean, you did just present an anecdote as a fact, with added swearing.

But yes, Myp is obviously trolling.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 14:52 

Cavey wrote:
Are we seriously arguing that normalised, mean wages haven't increased from the 1980s? I'm sat on a train right now but besides, I ain't your bitch, Gaywood. If you don't believe wages haven't gone up, accounting for inflation etc (that's what normalised means), well, that's your problem frankly.

Aside from the basic facts of the situation, you know I was actually there, right? So I can tell you first hand what it was like, not only for young people as I was, but also our parents and neighbours. Not one new car on our street, for instance; my old mum sewed and repaired all out clothes as kids, and we ate very basic home cooked food, and this despite both my parents working full time. I mean seriously, you haven't got a bloody scooby.

/cue lecture about how easy it was to repair clothes made in the 1970s :roll:
This is an amazing post. I might print it out and frame it. Bravo.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 14:54 

Could I get it signed, Cavey?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 14:56 

A lot of things have got much cheaper. TVs, clothes, cars, white goods etc. I think it's easy to see people with all these things and draw a conclusion without considering that owning a house is a distant dream for them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 14:57 

Well, you obsess about everything I do anyway, Gaywood, so why not?
Every day a school day, glad to be of service. :)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 14:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It really was a good one :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 14:59 

Cavey wrote:
Well, you obsess about everything I do anyway, Gaywood, so why not?
Every day a school day, glad to be of service. :)

It's 'cause you're the gift that just keeps on giving, Cavey.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

When you two finally fuck you're both going to come buckets.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:04 

Jem wrote:
I'm not a "kid" any more but honestly thinking of getting rid of my car. Feel like it's burning through cash (leaking coolant AGAIN) and 99% of the time I only use it to go to the gym, which is fucking ironic in itself.

I just need to learn to ride a bicycle without falling off...

Sorry, love. You'd think it being bright yellow would have clued me into it being a lemon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:06 
Gogmagog

In some areas up here, it is common to see a £40k car outside a £60k house. Usually an Audi.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:07 

Mate, if you think I'm the one with egg on my face here, I got bad news for you. Tell you what, when I'm off this train I'll post some stuff showing that the normalised, inflation adjusted average wage is higher now than in the early 1980s when I started driving, which no doubt you'll ignore or come back with totally irrelevant crap like you did before, "cars were easier to repair in the early 80s" no shit, Sherlock.

You feign amusement, Gaywood, but seething resentment and jealousy positively boils from your every post my old son, sorry. :DD

When all is said and done, even if I am talking crap, I'm the one getting back into a £70k Porsche, so y'know, I'll get over it. :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

What the actual fuck?!

8)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:08 
Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:

It's certainly building up to a very special Valentine's Day for them both this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:10 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:

I don't think the world has recovered from Myp and Bamba releasing their tension. It couldn't cope with this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:11 

:DD

I doubt it but you never know...... I'm an 8 Pinter though :)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:13 
INFINITE POWAH

Cavey, it's arguable about how much wages have gone up versus cost of living etc, but cars are undoubtedly both more expensive, and, more importantly, more expensive to run. Part of that is the fact you literally can't do anything in a car yourself these days maintenance-wise unless you're a wizard, and even if you could, most young people are too lazy to bother to learn how to. This all combines to the lower rates of car ownership amongst the young, which is a fact, isn't it?

I'm not even sure what you're arguing about. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:14 
Paws for thought

Cavey wrote:
You feign amusement, Gaywood, but seething resentment and jealousy positively boils from your every post my old son, sorry.

I can't help but feel you're reading him wrong if that's the conclusion you've come to...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 15:17 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
I mean, you did just present an anecdote as a fact, with added swearing.

But yes, Myp is obviously trolling.

It was just an amazing post, as others have already pointed out. I'm not sure how that is considered trolling.

Dry your eyes mate, doesn't matter if I'm right because I've got a £70k Porsche

Reply to topic  [ 30665 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 444, 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450 ... 614  Next