Beex, Yo.
YOU ARE NOT LOGGED IN!
FEAR 3
Fffthreeer
Page 1 of 2 [ 54 posts ]
Page: 1, 2
My willy, watch me wave it Image

In other news using flash to show differences in framerate is a fools game. It's a stuttering mess at the best of times, how have your magic eyes not noticed this? ;)
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
So... how do you ever watch any films then?

Motion blur I believe. (You only need to pause any DVD and the individual frame is hardly ever 'clean' during fast sequences, it's basically blurred or smeared.)

According to Peter Jackson:

Quote:
Looking at 24 frames every second may seem ok--and we've all seen thousands of films like this over the last 90 years--but there is often quite a lot of blur in each frame, during fast movements, and if the camera is moving around quickly, the image can judder or "strobe."

I can definitely see the judder and strobing he refers to, and often find it very off-putting during certain sequences, especially panning shots (even relatively slow ones), to the extent that it can sometimes take me out of the film a bit.

Also, it's easy when watching a film to de-focus your eyes a bit but a game requires your constant attention.
Wullie wrote:
In other news using flash to show differences in framerate is a fools game. It's a stuttering mess at the best of times, how have your magic eyes not noticed this? ;)

Which is why he's helpfully included an 'fps ok' check to each animation to ensure it's being displayed at the correct framerate :)

Quote:
Note: "fps ok" means you're seeing the animations at the intended rate. If you see "fps too slow", it means your computer is slow, and isn't rendering the animations fast enough.
Unless my eyes have somehow developed a stutter* that check is humped :DD

*Could happen :nerd:
60fps is 35.7% smoother on a Mac than a PC.
AtrocityExhibition wrote:
I can definitely see the judder and strobing he refers to, and often find it very off-putting during certain sequences, especially panning shots (even relatively slow ones), to the extent that it can sometimes take me out of the film a bit.
That's the entire goddamn point. It's why I turn those 100Hz frame interpolation modes right off, and cannot bear to watch on any TV that has them switch on.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
AtrocityExhibition wrote:
That's the entire goddamn point. It's why I turn those 100Hz frame interpolation modes right off, and cannot bear to watch on any TV that has them switch on.

I'm confused, are we talking about two different things now or are they linked in some way?
Definitely two different things: FEAR 3 and some tedious shit that you should take to another topic.

Please. :kiss:
Finished ithis with Point Man and it was...terrific! Loved every minute of the short campaign. I've no idea how long it took but it might have been around the 5 to 7 hour mark. Seemed like the former but that could have been because I couldn't put it down once I'd started and the levels are nice and lengthy.

I'd say it was very similar to FEAR 2 with co-op and statistics. I was a bit annoyed by the stats at first but eventually you rather enjoy them being there especially when you remember "Oh yeah, I haven't made enough faces explode with the shotty today" and decide to remedy it. It nicely encourages you to play with the other weapons. You only accumulate stats during combat so they don't get in the way of the scares. Scares which are few and far between after the mid-way section so it's a good job that the combat is so immensely satisfying. The shotty rips arms and legs from their sockets and often makes entire bodies explode in crimson. Combat which is significantly less entertaining with Fettel who doesn't possess the slow-mo ability (Ho-ho, see what I did there). I've played a couple of levels with Fettel and, although he's perfectly servicable, I won't be returning to.

The last level was utter nonsense and a real disappointment. One minute you're heading towards the tower where Alma is giving birth and the next you're exploring some laboratory from the past fighting some dream monster. I just didn't get it. It was as if it was missing a level. Which is a real shame cause what is there is great stuff a few levels of shooting and a few weird levels (although the empahsis is on the straight shooting than the weird levels). It seems like a real mistep to reintroduce Fettel as a ghost though - his distinctive voice is brilliant, but only in short doses because he sounds like a pervy uncle tempting you into seeing his puppies. Plus I've no idea how you kill a ghost, but apparently you shoot them in the head. Strange. And plus he now looks like a teenage postal worker. And whoever thought making Point Man look like Wolverine needs shooting. In slow mo.

This is a perfect rental game. 7/10.
I actually really enjoyed the first game, despite being really stingy with achievements (~110G after completing it on Normal, finishing the challenge rooms and collecting all the answerphone messages).

I should probably pick up the second.
Can anyone who's done this offer advice on taking down the mecha in Interval 05 - Tower? It appears to be immune to all weapons. It has Danielle stumped, and I can't get past it either, on the easiest difficulty. Not having played the rest of the game, I imagine I'm missing some trick -- but what?
Is that the bit where it drops down in the middle, loads of pillars around?

If so, it's an arse, but there's a laser weapon at one end. It still required a lot of restarts and patience when I did it.
Yeah, we got it in the end. That was a tedious difficulty spike. Part of the key seems to be to kill all the grunt before killing the blue supersoldier guy, immediately before the mech lands. More grunts eventually spawn, but it means you can get some good hits in against the mech without being distracted with running idiots.
I'm deeply envious of your gamer chick wife ;o)
The first two levels sucked, then the third was really rather good, then during the fourth rather sucky level I was attacked by a mech with nowhere to hide, soldiers constantly respawning, no special weapon lying around and no other indication of what I was supposed to do. After dying 10 times I uninstalled because FUCK THIS. No more F.E.A.R. for me, I'm afraid.
The first FEAR was actually great, and probably one of the best FPS i've ever played. The second one was among the dullest i've ever played. So, I never even cared to try the 3rd one, and it seems I didn't lose much.
I really enjoyed the first one too. There was something about the slomo mechanic that was really satisfying. I played the demo for FEAR 2 and I was like yep nope
May Payne has more slo mo goodness.
FEAR 3 is great. GREAT. You shoot mens, and be a man with long hair and a beard. It is my autobiography.

It surely must be incredibly cheap everywhere by now? I got it for 360 for tuppence hapenny. If you see it for a fiver and don't get it, you're the fool. It might not be as fun as sliding around in a dated-looking-but-quite-nice warehouse collection hearing everybody yell 'OH SHIT' over and over, but I can't think of anything better than FEAR 3 off the top of my head.
Grim... wrote:
May Payne has more slo mo goodness.

Different. Max Payne was third-person and you just slomo jumped into every room. In Fear you ran into a room, saw an effload of enemies, hit slomo and FUCKED THEM ALL UP
But not that different.

Slow down. Pull trigger. Make dead.
I've been playing the original FEAR on PC thanks to it ring cheapozoid on the Steams.

Fuck me that slow-mo explosive shooting head into a blood sieve is fucking AMAZING. I don't think it's ever been bettered ever in all the years of gaming. AMAZING. What a riot exploding people is. It's brutal.
I really enjoyed the first one, even though every level was one drab office corridor to the next.

I played the demo of the second one and it was horrible.
If I recall correctly, the demo was a cross-section of various levels. The main game was really good but it didn't have the impact on me that the original did.

But what about those exploding faces, hmmm. Damn they explode good.
Page 1 of 2 [ 54 posts ]
Page: 1, 2

Active Topics