Bits & Bobs 46
A new B&B for a new year !
Grim... wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
When I was in the police

Wait, what?

/removes all references to ("rental shops" - Ed).

Yup, quite a while back now, and most of the police seemed to have a *very* relaxed attitude to copyright.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
When I was in the police

Wait, what?

Yup, quite a while back now, and most of the police seemed to have a *very* relaxed attitude to copyright.

Amongst other laws, of course. ;)
Lonewolves wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
When I was in the police

Wait, what?

That's some fairly stinky bait you're dangling there.
Lonewolves wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
When I was in the police

Wait, what?

I call bullshit on that. There will be some for sure, but not a lot compared with the number of actual police officers. You seem to be insinuating that most PCs have a chip on their shoulder and will use the "law" as an excuse.
Mr Russell wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
When I was in the police

Wait, what?

I call bullshit on that. There will be some for sure, but not a lot compared with the number of actual police officers. You seem to be insinuating that most PCs have a chip on their shoulder and will use the "law" as an excuse.

The police are not an oppressed minority, so I don't give a shit.
Lonewolves wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
When I was in the police

Wait, what?

What constitutes a minority?
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
When I was in the police

Wait, what?

That's some fairly stinky bait you're dangling there.

ToYST
Mr Russell wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
When I was in the police

Wait, what?

What constitutes a minority?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minority_group
Quote:
Minority group is a term referring to a category of people differentiated from the social majority, i.e., those who hold the majority of positions of social power in a society, and may be defined by law. Rather than a relational "social group", as the term would indicate, "minority group" refers to the above-described. The differentiation can be based on one or more observable human characteristics, including: ethnicity, race, religion, caste, gender, wealth, health or sexual orientation. Usage of the term is applied to various situations and civilizations within history, despite its popular mis-association with a numerical, statistical minority. In the social sciences, the term "minority" is used to refer to categories of persons who hold fewer positions of social power.

http://academic.udayton.edu/race/01race/minor01.htm
Quote:
What is a Minority Group?

A subordinate group whose members have significantly less control or power over their lives than members of a dominant or majority group

Not limited to mathematical minority: example women, Blacks in South Africa, Blacks in Mississippi and South Carolina in the 1920's

Interchangeable with subordinate group

A group that experiences a narrowing of opportunities (success, education, wealth, etc) that is disproportionately low compared to their numbers in the society

So, not the police. But nice try. :)
I don't actually care.
what about oppressed minorities within the Police :)
KovacsC wrote:

They have a very relaxed attitude to copyright.
Mr Russell wrote:
I don't actually care.

You seem to. Perhaps it's because you got called out on some unsubstantiated casual racism? And as for 'crusades' (don't worry, I saw this post pre-edit), I've taken a huge displeasure at the institutionalised racism and corruption within the police for a long time. Just because I am in a demographic that they will largely ignore doesn't make it right.
Mr Russell wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

They have a very relaxed attitude to copyright.

It's a Sting operation.
KovacsC wrote:

Look up intersectionality. They are not oppressed for being police. We all have privilege and oppression in different ways. For example I am privileged for being white, male and middle class. However I am oppressed because of disability/mental health. If you are a black man you have male privilege but suffer black oppression.

Bear in mind this is at a societal level, not a personal level. As I seem to have to stress every single time we discuss this.
Lonewolves wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
I don't actually care.

You seem to. Perhaps it's because you got called out on some unsubstantiated casual racism? And as for 'crusades' (don't worry, I saw this post pre-edit), I've taken a huge displeasure at the institutionalised racism and corruption within the police for a long time. Just because I am in a demographic that they will largely ignore doesn't make it right.

Well if you already saw it, then I'll requote myself for context, and so that others aren't confused.
Quote:
I don't actually care, it's just interesting to see what crusade you're throwing yourself behind today.

I thought better of it, hence the edit, and so I apologise to you, because I know you actually care.
Mr Russell wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
I don't actually care.

Well if you already saw it, then I'll requote myself for context, and so that others aren't confused.
Quote:
I don't actually care, it's just interesting to see what crusade you're throwing yourself behind today.

I thought better of it, hence the edit, and so I apologise to you, because I know you actually care.

Thank you and I accept your apology. I am sorry if you got annoyed or upset by my comment, but what you said just didn't sit right with me and as your friend I feel obligated to point out when I disagree with that. Perhaps I could have addressed it differently.
I was mildly bullied at school because my dad was in the police (who incidentally had a very relaxed attitude to copyright infringements)
I wasn't upset, I genuinely don't care. I'm selfish in that regard, but it allows me to have a happy life.

Yep, there's injustice, and I won't go out of my way to cause it, but neither am I about to stress myself out worrying about trying to fix the world, because I can eat crisps and watch Netflix instead and that makes me happier.
Mr Russell wrote:
I wasn't upset, I genuinely don't care. I'm selfish in that regard, but it allows me to have a happy life.

Yep, there's injustice, and I won't go out of my way to cause it, but neither am I about to stress myself out worrying about trying to fix the world, because I can eat crisps and watch Netflix instead and that makes me happier.

Because caring about social inequality somehow makes me unable to enjoy Netflix and eat crisps? It is possible to do both, you know (and I do). :)

In that case I would go back to your original (possibly throwaway) comment of "Yeah, a lot of fights don't involve race until someone wants to play the race card." that you seemed to say based on a couple of anecdotes, despite there being on average 130 racially-motivated incidents per day in this country. http://www.irr.org.uk/research/statisti ... -violence/

If you genuinely don't care about whether what you're saying is true or not, it might be best not to comment at all imo, because that sort of comment is damaging.
Lonewolves wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

Because caring about social inequality somehow makes me unable to enjoy Netflix and eat crisps? It is possible to do both, you know (and I do). :)

In that case I would go back to your original (possibly throwaway) comment of "Yeah, a lot of fights don't involve race until someone wants to play the race card." that you seemed to say based on a couple of anecdotes, despite there being on average 130 racially-motivated incidents per day in this country. http://www.irr.org.uk/research/statisti ... -violence/

If you genuinely don't care about whether what you're saying is true or not, it might be best not to comment at all imo, because that sort of comment is damaging.

Best not to quote numbers though, as you can prove anything with numbers.
#violent-crime">http://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationa ... lent-crime
The 2013/14 year, to compare with the site you quoted, shows ~1,300,000 violent crimes in England and Wales, which averages around 3,500 per day, so less than 4% of attacks are racially motivated. is there less than 4% racial minorities in England and Wales?

Number facts!
Oh shit fuck all of you and your non-important arguments I just remembered that one of the HOCs doesn't like crisps.

Not any of them!

What the actual fuck?!
Similarly I once asked a colleague what sort of music he likes and he replied that he doesn't like music at all. I was dumbfounded.
Grim... wrote:
Oh shit fuck all of you and your non-important arguments I just remembered that one of the HOCs doesn't like crisps.

Not any of them!

What the actual fuck?!

She's lying.
markg wrote:
Similarly I once asked a colleague what sort of music he likes and he replied that he doesn't like music at all. I was dumbfounded.

He's lying.
Lonewolves wrote:

That's just under 50,000 per year, compared to 1.7 million anti-social behaviour incidents, or 507k criminal damage incidents, or 72k theft from person incidents, or 1m violent crime incidents. Your statistic doesn't appear to contradict Russ to me.
Grim... wrote:

Not any of them!

What the actual fuck?!

Have you tried? You now need to force-feed her all of the available types of crisps before I will accept that this is true.
Cras wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Not any of them!

What the actual fuck?!

Have you tried? You now need to force-feed her all of the available types of crisps before I will accept that this is true.

There are so many, so many different types, that this suggests this is a psychological issue, rather than a taste one.
Have you tried those root veg crisps made out of parsnips, beetroot and that? They're ace.
Mr Russell wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

Best not to quote numbers though, as you can prove anything with numbers.
#violent-crime">http://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationa ... lent-crime
The 2013/14 year, to compare with the site you quoted, shows ~1,300,000 violent crimes in England and Wales, which averages around 3,500 per day, so less than 4% of attacks are racially motivated. is there less than 4% racial minorities in England and Wales?

Number facts!

Right, I didn't say it was a large proportion of violent crimes though (and in fact not all racially-motivated crimes are violent anyway). I was talking about your specific comment.
In fact most violent crime is white on white in this country. We must stop the scourge of white people, obviously. ;)
Caucasians should go back to Caucasia.
Mr Russell wrote:
Have you tried those root veg crisps made out of parsnips, beetroot and that? They're ace.

Get the fuck out
Mr Russell wrote:
There are so many, so many different types, that this suggests this is a psychological issue, rather than a taste one.

Well yes, she's clearly a mentalist. Force-feeding crisp therapy is the only solution
Cras wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

Well yes, she's clearly a mentalist. Force-feeding crisp therapy is the only solution

I was alluding to the fact that this might have already happened, and that is why she has the issue.
Lonewolves wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

Look up intersectionality. They are not oppressed for being police.

People very often do get abuse and are assaulted just for being in the police.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

Also sometimes people make sweeping judgements about them based solely on one personal characteristic eg. that they are a willing party to institutionalised racism and corruption.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

Also sometimes people make sweeping judgements about them based solely on one personal characteristic eg. that they are a willing party to institutionalised racism and corruption.

Or that they're quite relaxed about copyright.
Mr Russell wrote:

Excellent!
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

That isn't oppression. What kind of institutional power or authority do those who attack the police hold over them?
Grim... wrote:

Not any of them!

What the actual fuck?!

Invite to bbq
Lonewolves wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

That isn't oppression. What kind of institutional power or authority do those who attack the police hold over them?

When one off-duty copper encounters a dozen gang members down a dark alleyway: quite a lot.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

When one off-duty copper encounters a dozen gang members down a dark alleyway: quite a lot.

Myp's all about the macro, not the micro.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

I was out with a copper and we left Pub A where he pointed out his colleagues (60% of the place) and went to Pub B. "If anyone asks," he hissed at me as we walked in, "I'm do what you do". "OK" I said, as we walked to the bar. "Hello hello hello, I'll have a coke please, working you see "... as everyone glared and a band covered a Dire Straits song.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

If a civilian kills a police officer they will go to prison at the very least. If a cop kills a civilian, it's highly unusual that any charges will be brought as any review panel will see whatever force they use as "necessary", because society on a whole sees the police as infallible.

I am not saying there aren't good police - I'd say the majority are good. But if you are a "good" cop and you turn a blind eye to the bad stuff that happens, you're not a good cop.
Lonewolves wrote:
I'd say the majority are good.

Surely it's 50%?
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
I'd say the majority are good.

Surely it's 50%?

Relatively-speaking, I guess so...
Lonewolves wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Yeah, a lot of fights don't involve race until someone wants to play the race card.

A lot of - where's your evidence?

Also, the "race card". Nice.

Anecdotal.

I call bullshit on that. There will be some for sure, but not a lot compared with the number of actual racially-motivated attacks. You seem to be insinuating that most PoC have a chip on their shoulder and will use the "race card" as an excuse.

You seem to suggest that only PoC will define race as a motivator to violence made upon them.

Bit racist.
Mimi wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Yeah, a lot of fights don't involve race until someone wants to play the race card.

A lot of - where's your evidence?

Also, the "race card". Nice.

Anecdotal.

I call bullshit on that. There will be some for sure, but not a lot compared with the number of actual racially-motivated attacks. You seem to be insinuating that most PoC have a chip on their shoulder and will use the "race card" as an excuse.

You seem to suggest that only PoC will define race as a motivator to violence made upon them.

Bit racist.

I realise someone may have already mentioned this but I'm too lazy to read all your posts. Plus I noticed the word 'crisps' whizz by as I was scrolling so clearly we've moved on to far more important matters of discussion.
Page 42 of 60 [ 2971 posts ]