Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: PS4 confirmed
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 14:45 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
I can honestly say that I really don't care. And in any case I disagree that they look awful. Bland maybe but not particularly ugly, elegant really in a very understated way. The NES, now there's an ugly fucker, like they got the guy from Fisher Price in only he was having an off day. People can't separate them from fond childhood memories though.

The PS4 could be good looking with the right colours, but the xbone is beyond redemption. And yes,I agree the NES is kinda ugly, but the nostalgia is not only associated with the consoles look but also with the other factors I mentioned.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 19:55 
Worst

Grim... wrote:
That seems somewhat low, compared to the huge sales in the US, but I guess not if it's the fastest-selling in history.

There are 317m people in the USA, compared to 63m in the UK. Relatively, I'd say the UK figures are pretty damn impressive.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:03 

After plugging the console in and upgrading the system firmware to 1.51 it was time to play the games. I purchased Killzone, AC4, & digital downloads of Resogun, Contrast & Flower.

The controller is lovely, the triggers are much better which was my biggest gripe with the PS3 controller. The battery life however is poor, I managed about four hours, hopefully in a future firmware update an option to turn off the controller light will improve the battery life. The touchscreen section of the controller is nice & on Killzone you use it to control your robot companion.

I tried the camera with the Playroom software, the kids enjoyed flicking robots around & drawing items on the phone to flick to the tv screen. The camera is really useful when using twitch to stream gaming you can use the inbuilt microphone to talk to you followers which is much better than the rubbish ear-set supplied (I have ordered an over the head set).

The games then, Killzone is the obvious graphical showcase & does look amazing, it is a generic shooter like so many but at least it looks lovely. Resogun is the main game I have been spending time with, it is the PS4's answer to Geometry Wars & is amazingly good fun. I love the various special effect, explosions & all at a blistering fast pace. Abbas played the Fifa 14 demo & is currently playing AC4 which uses the touch pad to control the game map.

Remote play works very well on the Vita, I tested Killzone & Resogun with no slowdown that I noticed. On-line gameplay of Resogun worked well, but with the occasional slowdown not sure if that was due to the PSN servers, internet connection or the game?

Overall I am happy with the console, once I finish playing Dishonored I will go & start playing Killzone, AC4 I am going to leave for over xmas.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:22 

Amazon have sent me £7 off codes for Killzone or Knack if anyone is interested in using?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:27 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Worldwide PS4 numbers are in - 2.1 million consoles since launch

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/3/51696 ... -ps4-sales

Quote:
Sony sells over 2.1 million PlayStation 4 consoles since launch

After announcing that the PlayStation 4 moved over a million units in its first 24 hours on sale, Sony has revealed the system's total figures as of December 1st. 2.1 million PS4 consoles were sold worldwide since the initial launch in the US on November 15, of which 700,000 came from Europe and Australasia after two days of availability.

In a press release, Sony Computer Entertainment president and group CEO Andrew House said that “PS4 delivered the best launch in PlayStation history," while claiming that "demand remains incredibly strong and continues to overwhelm the supply worldwide." Microsoft is yet to offer a specific November sales figure for the Xbox One, which launched a week after the PS4 in the US and matched Sony's achievement of selling one million units in 24 hours.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 14:47 
8-Bit Champion

Just as a quick response to the posts in the Xbox One thread about the poor UI

viewtopic.php?p=796850#p796850

I *love* the UI on the PS4 - everything is quick / responsive and when you hit the PS button while in a game its paused and your instantly into the menus - selecting the game or pressing the PS button drops you straight back into the game.

I've not really done parties or online gaming much on there yet but its so much more responsive than the PS3 was and if you want to see achievements (okay Trophies) , your friends list , or anything else its clear where to go to and its pretty much instantly available as soon as you move over it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 14:57 
8-Bit Champion

Sony 'thank you' video for the European launch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 15:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Well, that was underwhelming.

I love what they did to the Oxo tower, though :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 15:28 
8-Bit Champion

Ass Crud 4 is back down to $30 at Amazon US for the PS3 digital version

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GGU ... UTF8&psc=1

You can then buy a $10 PSN card and update it to the PS4 version which should work out at about £24

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 16:29 
ugvm'er at heart...

im back from my hols in a couple of days. my only option for gettimg a ps4 before xmas is ebay isnt it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 16:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You may have some luck in the airport.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 16:37 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
You may have some luck in the airport.

no games shops in departures. i shall check arrivals though. gatwick is the problem, damn these little provincial airports.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 16:40 
Decapodian

zaphod79 wrote:
Ass Crud 4 is back down to $30 at Amazon US for the PS3 digital version

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GGU ... UTF8&psc=1

You can then buy a $10 PSN card and update it to the PS4 version which should work out at about £24

Is it worth the £24?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 16:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'm in Gatwick on Thursday. If I see you, I'll wave.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 16:59 
8-Bit Champion

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Is it worth the £24?

I'm enjoying it so far but I'm really only a few hours in - from everything I've seen its just a shinier version of the PS3 / 360 game - it may help that I've not really played any Assassins Creed games since 2 so a lot of what may be repetition of the old games is new to me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 17:03 
Decapodian

zaphod79 wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Is it worth the £24?

I'm enjoying it so far but I'm really only a few hours in - from everything I've seen its just a shinier version of the PS3 / 360 game - it may help that I've not really played any Assassins Creed games since 2 so a lot of what may be repetition of the old games is new to me.

Thanks.
I thought AC2 was decent, the first sequel was an improvement and then the next one a bit of a step back.
I didn't bother with 3 at all, so I might give this a go.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 17:18 

Trooper wrote:
im back from my hols in a couple of days. my only option for gettimg a ps4 before xmas is ebay isnt it?

I think you will have a good chance of getting one at retail, keep an eye on hot uk deals & pop round to your local electrical/game shops when back in the uk.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 17:22 
8-Bit Champion

gospvg wrote:
Trooper wrote:

I think you will have a good chance of getting one at retail, keep an eye on hot uk deals & pop round to your local electrical/game shops when back in the uk.

There are enough odd consoles popping up on the Argos price finder that I think a lot of people have them reserved and have not collected yet so they then keep popping back into the system

Bookmark and check back on :

http://www.stockinformer.co.uk/argos-reserve-ps4

And if one comes up in your region you can grab it

Also this is a good stock check page :

http://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker- ... ystation-4

Oh and if you want a console Game have plenty - but you need to buy it with about 5 bundled games and some bluray disks for full price (around £650)

This keeps dropping into / out of stock for them

http://www.game.co.uk/en/playstation-4- ... -Deep_link

Thats the PS4 Knack bundle (so £400 for that) along with Fifa / Need for speed / The Wolverine (Bluray movie) and NBA2k14 for £565 so your paying £165 for Fifa (£50) / Need for Speed (£50) / NBA2k14 (£55) / and The Wolverine (£10) - i.e. buy all this crap for the exact same amount of cash we're selling it for normally and we will sell you a PS4 - stuff like that shouldnt be allowed!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 17:40 
ugvm'er at heart...

thanks guys, ill have a proper look round when i get home

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 20:28 
Hibernating Druid

SilentNight wrote:
It's a bit sad that more people will play Knack than the new Mario game.

No it's not, it's fucking well funny.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 21:37 
Paws for thought

Zardoz wrote:
SilentNight wrote:
It's a bit sad that more people will play Knack than Bayonetta 2

No it's not, it's fucking well funny.

Indeed. Poor Bayonetta 2.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 23:26 

Buying a next gen console really messes up the previous gen, I'm now rushing through Dishonored so I can play AC4/Killzone on the PS4.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 16:28 

Going to have to take my PS4 out of the cabinet and stand it up by the telly I reckon. It runs pretty hot in there and once the fans get to full tilt it sounds like my original 360. It's not a tight space either, although the glass door had been slid shut.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 17:14 
8-Bit Champion

http://kotaku.com/ps4-voice-recognition ... 1475922940

Quote:
PS4 Voice Recognition Is Surprisingly Casual

Here's a game you can play on your PS4 without leaving the main menu. 1) Plug a PlayStation Eye Camera into the console or a headset into the controller. 2) Say "PlayStation" 3) And then start naming games you've installed. Important! —> Be playful. Try variations.

I did that and happily discovered that PS4 games appear to be programmed to respond to a variety of versions of their names. Same way I would respond to "Stephen", "Steve" or "Kotaku boss of bosses", more or less.

I first ran the test at home this morning and got the following results for a batch of games:

Need For Speed: Rivals
"Need for Speed" (worked)
"Need for Speed Rivals" (worked)
"Need for Speed Most Wanted" (failed, appropriately enough)

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
"Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag" (worked sporadically)
"ACIV" (worked)
"Black Flag" (worked)
"Creed IV" (worked)
"AC" (worked sporadically)

Call of Duty: Ghosts
"Call of Duty" (worked)
"Call of Duty Ghosts" (worked)
"COD" (failed)
"Ghosts" (failed)

Battlefield 4
"Battlefield 4" (worked)
"Battlefield" (worked)
"BF4" (failed)

Lego Marvel: Super-Heroes
"Lego Marvel Super-Heroes" (worked sporadically)
"Lego Marvel" (worked sporadically)

Note how some of those will probably need to be patched out in a year when sequels come out. 3

I ran this name-game test again at work today. You can hear those results in the video up top. The outcome was a little different and a little funnier. They've even anticipated mispronunciations of some games. Neat.

I now turn it to you, the great people of the Internet... test this out on a PS4 of your own and let me know in the replies below if any particularly unusual names work. I'm so hoping that some game developers programmed their games to respond to joke names.

As for Xbox One, I've run similar tests on that console, and it seems that the "Xbox, go to..." prompt requires the speaker to use the full, official name of the game. Anything more casual than that didn't work for me. Again, let me know if your results vary. Add them below.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 23:15 
Gogmagog

There were 10 PS4s set up in the atrium at work today. Apparently FIFA was "much the same, but slightly better controls" and there was a pinball game. I did not have a go as I was too busy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 23:49 
8-Bit Champion

MaliA wrote:
There were 10 PS4s set up in the atrium at work today. Apparently FIFA was "much the same, but slightly better controls" and there was a pinball game. I did not have a go as I was too busy.

Sure they were PS4's ?

There are 2 pinball games due out - The Pinball Arcade should be on PS4 'soon' - it was originally due at launch but was delayed - and Pinball FX2 is due out in about 2 weeks time

Possibly a few older PS3's mixed in with the PS4's ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:33 
Gogmagog

As sure as each was in a big cabinet with PS4 written om it, the controllers were the ps4 controllers and each console had PS4 written on it, yes, fairly sure.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:05 
UltraMod

So still some element of doubt?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:21 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Were they Dreamcasts?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:38 
Sleepyhead

They might have been ZX81s...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:12 

There's a special button on the PS4 controller to take screenshots, which is nice. However, the only way I can actually view them afterwards is if I post them on fucking Twitter or cocking Facebook. :facepalm:

So I'm going to have to set up a second Twitter account and follow it with my actual one in order to retrieve the pictures. :facepalm:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:14 

Also, if you post to Twitter, it goes out to pic.twitter.com which applies some quite horrendous downsizing and crunchy JPG compression (it does this for everything, not just the PS4). Facebook is the better option. You can set the PS4 app to only make posts that are visible to you, so your friends aren't being spammed to death.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:17 

Urgh. :spew: Right. I'd been trying to avoid connecting it to Facebook at all if possible.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:17 
UltraMod

That sounds rubbish. Why can't they post them to your PSN profile on the Playstation website or something? And there's no way of viewing them on your console? Bah.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:18 

Yes, it's rubbish. Probably likely to be fixed but certainly crap for now.

Same thing with the video recording -- I don't believe there's any direct way to get them on YouTube. (And that's also true of the X1.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:19 

SilentNight wrote:
That sounds rubbish. Why can't they post them to your PSN profile on the Playstation website or something? And there's no way of viewing them on your console? Bah.
Free advertising. They want everyone to be spamming everyone else about their PS4.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:20 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
Urgh. :spew: Right. I'd been trying to avoid connecting it to Facebook at all if possible.

I had a minor strop about signing into fuckbook being practically the first thing it asked me to do when I connected it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:22 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Same thing with the video recording -- I don't believe there's any direct way to get them on YouTube. (And that's also true of the X1.)

You can at least watch videos back on the console. I can't see any way to even browse the pictures, just share them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:22 

Doesn't the Facebook connectivity power the real name feature? Because that actually looks pretty useful.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:26 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Yep it is a pain, I went with the facebook option set up another account & post everything to that. Managed to download a gameplay video of a multi-player session on Killzone & uploaded to youtube.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:26 

Both consoles have shipped with some rough edges around unfinished stuff, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:46 
8-Bit Champion

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Both consoles have shipped with some rough edges around unfinished stuff, that's for sure.

Definitely - and some of this at least for Sony is due to them not planning on the volume of users (the network still creaks on occasion) and some of the limitations they put in when PSN was designed for the PS3 (I've now got 3 PSN accounts and by accident one is a sub account which doesn't sound like it should make much of a difference but so many things are locked out for that one)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 13:07 

zaphod79 wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Definitely - and some of this at least for Sony is due to them not planning on the volume of users (the network still creaks on occasion) and some of the limitations they put in when PSN was designed for the PS3 (I've now got 3 PSN accounts and by accident one is a sub account which doesn't sound like it should make much of a difference but so many things are locked out for that one)

I hate sub accounts, I have had to create new master accounts for the kids so they can play the games they want on the PS4.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 13:13 

Trooper,

PS4 in stock at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D ... g=ho01f-21

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 13:32 
ugvm'er at heart...

gospvg wrote:

Cheers Niaz, but as I mentioned on twitter, I had already ordered! :D

Stroke of luck really, got in, opened the post, put the wife to bed, fired up amazon and did a search and there it was, orderable for delivery on 12th december. I think it was only in stock for 10 minutes :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 13:44 

Well done hope to see you online soon although I suspect you will mostly be playing BF4 but if you fancy Killzone give me a shout.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:41 
ugvm'er at heart...

Ps4 dispatched today and due for delivery tomorrow :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:42 

Oh. We're all playing on our PS5s now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:58 
8-Bit Champion

I'm just downloading my PS6 now :-)

If your okay with buying digital PS4 titles from Amazon their deal today is Killzone : Shadowfall for $49.00 (a little under £30)

http://www.amazon.com/Killzone-Shadow-F ... s=killzone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 15:15 
ugvm'er at heart...

It's here! It's updating! It's getting to the end of the system update download and not installing it!

Reply to topic  [ 2598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 52  Next