Stuff
(no, not that sort of thread)
I have decided I need to do more "stuff", you know, actual proper "stuff" instead of dossing about watching tv, or reading web sites and the like.

What "stuff" would you like to do, that you have never done, or, what "stuff" would you like to do more off?

I'm going to start with a few things (just a list for now, but I will flesh them out later perhaps, when I have more time):

Wind Surfing
SCUBA Diving
Rock Climbing (not mountain climbing)
Rambling (as in walking in the country, not wittering on about stuff)
Cycling
Sprinting
Frisbee
Writing

Yeah, that will do for now....

Malc
Given that my girlfriend is moving out (relationship woes), I too might suddenly have time for 'stuff', although I expect in the short term I'll just be cracking on with a load of DIY.
Recently I started running again (after a major hiatus), and thanks to my Nike+ jobbie, it's coming along quite nicely. Also, funny you should mention rock climbing, because I've discovered an indoor place near to where I live, and I'm gonna pop along for an intro course (2 hours for £35, and a year's membership to come and go as you please). Quite looking forward to it, but I'm a bit busy at the moment.

If anybody is remotely interested in running/jogging/power walking, the Nike+ thing comes seriously recommended from me. It's extremely useful as a gadget, but it also gives you plenty of inspiration to get out there and do it, especially because it totals your mileage and you can compare yourself with your mates.
I joined a snooker club today, and played my first ever game of Snooker. Not particularly inspiring, but it was something different.
I may experiment with drinking more rum, instead of Bourbon.
I'd like to go paintballing more, but the only other people I know who are into it have a worrying obsession with guns and military strategy. My more balanced friends don't like it "because they'll get hurt". Pussies.

I'd also like to do go-karting, or at least some form of motor racing that is acceptable for someone almost thirty.
Whereabouts are you, Zio? I can heartily recommend Rednal Kart Racing near Oswestry if you're anywhere near there. Great fun.

And there's a paintball field literally a stone's throw from the kart track too.
Paintballing is fun. But it does seem to attract a certain sort of Andy McNab-wannabe. There is/was a place near Blackpool that was pretty awesome, with proper games and strategy instead of running around firing wildly.

I'm a demon on the karty-karty-kart-karts, mind. Keep meaning have a go on the twin-engined karts at Three Sisters.
Oddly, playing with my RC car got me into "motorsports" (the off-road kind).
I should get my RC car out again. I fixed the brakes and have done nothing with it since.

Here it is.
Zio wrote:
I'd like to go paintballing more, but the only other people I know who are into it have a worrying obsession with guns and military strategy. My more balanced friends don't like it "because they'll get hurt". Pussies.

I'd also like to do go-karting, or at least some form of motor racing that is acceptable for someone almost thirty.

Virtually all of it. Anything in a British championship will be a mix of gentlemen drivers and up and commers.

Even the BTCC has several private runners, the most famous of them being Mike Jordan (over 50) who runs himself and his son in a pair of very competitive Hondas.

If you're really serious it's obviously entirely budget centered but a good upper aim would probably be the BTCC supporting Renault Clio championship. You'd even be on ITV4...

Dudley wrote:
Zio wrote:

Virtually all of it. Anything in a British championship will be a mix of gentlemen drivers and up and commers.

Even the BTCC has several private runners, the most famous of them being Mike Jordan (over 50) who runs himself and his son in a pair of very competitive Hondas.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the BTCC at the moment. I went to Brands Hatch and Rockingham earlier this year and am looking forward it all starting up again in July. I don't think I'm quite in the right league financially or talent-wise to enter myself mind you! Still, you see some of the support races, such as the SEAT Cupra Cup and the Renault Clio Cup and do kinda think 'maybe I could do that!'.

Still I gather there's a karting track near to where I work in Marlow, Bucks, so I'm hoping myself and some of the work chaps might take a trip there at some point soon.

Edit: I was also going to say that Mike Jordan is becoming a bit of a hero of mine in a way, because right there you've got a guy who's actually out there racing, despite being not much younger than my Dad.
With his own two car team as well, which always makes it a step more complex.
It's that time of year when I start a martial art with the boy and then give up when he gets bored after 8 weeks. Only this time I am doing it on my own rather than taking him so I can actually stick at it.

Brazillian Jiu Jitsu is the order of the day seeing as it's about 3 minutes from my house and obviously after 3 lessons I can then enter the UFC.

I'm also thinking of cycling to work more but that involves roads of DEATH which the wife isn't overly happy about.
I don't get a lot of exercise at the moment since starting working in a different office now - I have a 60 mile round trip to work each day and feel too knackered when I get in. Two people from my work have suggested I go out running with them after work, but since one of them is a spectacularily attractive (and single) young lady, I'm put off of exposing her to my shambling, wheezing form as I run three metres down the road before collapsing from a major heart attack.
Run with her you idiot!
I really need to get more serious with my writing, but it often loses out in the fun stakes to CoD4.

I'd also love to play frisbee more often. Our team used to be super awesome when I was young, and whilst it's still fun to throw a disc around Greenwich Park or Blackheath, it's not quite the same without the feeling of diving all over the floor without getting points for it!
I am determined that before the end of the year I will finally start a Black Metal band :metul:
Zardoz wrote:
Racist.

Shut up and pass me the glue, SCUM!
I recently joined a pilates class with my wife*. Only done one session so far, but seems like it could be fun, and useful. I also do 5-a-side football and swimming once a week.

*The teacher is pure MILF and super-flexible. Even if I drop out I'm going to force my wife to keep on going :hat:
Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ]