Didn't quite take Forever then!
Actual DNF footage unearthed
In a random new online gaming-related show of all things.

http://crackle.com/c/Jace_Hall/Jace_Hal ... 91%26fx%3d

Will be intriguing to know what new engine they're using this time.
Doom 3, same as Prey, the last I heard...
It looks like.....an FPS.

Super.
Preorder cancelled.
I'd laugh so hard if they just turned out the original Duke Nukem with a new set of levels.
From the look of the video, I'd say they're going to just release Prey with a new set of levels.
It's going to be 220% better than Halo if it's taken 12 years to develop.

Isn't it?
Halo = Not All That.
It's Duke Nukem. It can't not be ace. IT CAN'T NOT BE ACE.

*rocks in corner*
Mr Cochese wrote:
I'd laugh so hard if they just turned out the original Duke Nukem with a new set of levels.

2d?
Duke Nukem 3D = very much the aces (XBLA version, please)
That looked rubbish. Mainly as the Doom3 engine makes everything look like it's made out of plastic and trying to hide the fact. But much like Doom, I don't think they can capture what made Duke3d so good in todays FPS engines.
Mr Dave wrote:
Duke Nukem 3D = very much the aces (XBLA version, please)
That looked rubbish. Mainly as the Doom3 engine makes everything look like it's made out of plastic and trying to hide the fact. But much like Doom, I don't think they can capture what made Duke3d so good in todays FPS engines.

I'd certainly buy an XBLA version of Duke Nukem 3D - I know you can run it under XP but last time I looked, the process was a little fiddly.

They could also release the map packs separately (I think I had the 'Plutonium Pak' one with lots of 'Aliens' type creatures) if they want to gouge a little extra cash too.
XBLAH Duke was "confirmed" by 3dR a while back, I believe. I'll certainly be getting it even though I have my original copy for PC in it's box still.

They need to just drop the "scary" thing though. Doom 3 was too much "suspense horror" for my tastes, Doom and Doom II were more about a few puzzles, a big meaty feeling gun, and loads of bad guys.

Duke was all about the humour and wisecracks, but I would hope it plays more like Serious Sam than Doom 3. Serious Sam is the aces. The new engined one was rubbish, mind.
devilman wrote:
I'd certainly buy an XBLA version of Duke Nukem 3D - I know you can run it under XP but last time I looked, the process was a little fiddly.

Have you tried any of the community releases since the source was released? It was supposedly perfectly playable in Linux the last I heard, so I'd expect some Vista-friendly executable exists by now.

Coincidentally I'm playing through Prey today, as a) it was £3, and b) having played it on the PC already I knew it's a perfectly respectable Quake-style FPS. The 360 version (in singleplayer anyway) is a very decent port from the early life of the console, too.

But still. Not once, playing through this, have I thought "Yeah, this feels like Duke Nukem 3D". And that trailer looks exactly like Prey (Except that didn't have a big tentacle alien thing! No! That was Half-Life). Hrrrmm.
Prey was great. I have the 360 version too. I had it pre-ordered from the start, and a little metal figurine with it. But you're right, it didn't feel like Duke at all and the trailer does look very Prey-ish.

We shall see.
My thoughts on prey: Good, until I realised that dying was entirely inconsequential.
Very true for the PC. But it does make for satisfyingly care-free achievement collecting ;)
That was one of my favourite bits. I abhor dying in these games and restarting the same bits over and over and over and over and over. I suck, you see. But the little minigame when you die determines just how much health etc you come back with so there is a little skill involved. A little.

Did you hate BioShock for the same reasons?
Yes, actually. I really hate it in a game where I die and it doesn't matter. I end up taking playing less and less carefully and die more and more until I end up some modern day Prometheus, having my guts pecked out and then regenerated over and over for Zeus's personal amusement.
Sheepeh wrote:
That was one of my favourite bits. I abhor dying in these games and restarting the same bits over and over and over and over and over. I suck, you see. But the little minigame when you die determines just how much health etc you come back with so there is a little skill involved. A little.

Did you hate BioShock for the same reasons?

I got really sick of it while playing through on hard for similar reasons, yes. The main problem being one from a design point of view. Being unable to die allows them to completely unbalance the game. This was evident in both Bioshock (on hard) and Prey.
Not sure if the Xbox got the patch but the PC patch adds an Extra Hard more in which you don't regenerate.

I'm all for it, to be perfectly honest. If you don't like regeneration use some will power and don't ;)
If a game doesn't bother to punish failure you may as well be in the Halo 3 Forge, spawning and blowing up bad guys ad infinitum like an insane laughing robot.
You say that like it's a bad thing.
CUS wrote:
devilman wrote:

Have you tried any of the community releases since the source was released? It was supposedly perfectly playable in Linux the last I heard, so I'd expect some Vista-friendly executable exists by now.

Coincidentally I'm playing through Prey today, as a) it was £3, and b) having played it on the PC already I knew it's a perfectly respectable Quake-style FPS. The 360 version (in singleplayer anyway) is a very decent port from the early life of the console, too.

But still. Not once, playing through this, have I thought "Yeah, this feels like Duke Nukem 3D". And that trailer looks exactly like Prey (Except that didn't have a big tentacle alien thing! No! That was Half-Life). Hrrrmm.

I've not looked for a while to be honest but I don't play too many FPS games lately. I've got Prey though so maybe I should give that a try and see they compare.
CUS wrote:
devilman wrote:

EDuke32 is your friend.

On a similar-engine note, who enjoyed Shadow Warrior?
Prey was alright, but took too long to actually let me shoot anything, like all shooters seem to now. The rebirth thing just removed all suspense - you could win every firefight through simple attrition. Plus the enemies were kind of boring as far as I got.

I'll give it a proper play once I get my funsquare back, mind.
MarzSyndrome wrote:
CUS wrote:
devilman wrote:

EDuke32 is your friend.

On a similar-engine note, who enjoyed Shadow Warrior?

Excellent - I'll have a look at that later. I loved Shadow Warrior too - it had some great weapons. Blood was also excellent.
Nice one, MarzSyndrome. Screenshots and stuff to read on it can be found here. Ties in well with the D3D High Resolution Pack of new textures and models. Looks pretty.
There's an Update Pack site to go with that HRP too - indeed it's linked on the HRP site's links page.
Page 1 of 1 [ 29 posts ]