Cardiff O'Neill's on fire
Pluckily defies smoking ban
*Fwoomf!*

Just went out to get a sarnie and saw that the Hayes had been roped off due to the old O'Neills next to the market being on fire. Basically the roof has gone and a giant appliance is pumping big jets of water into the building. You can smell the smoke streets away in the library.

Hope the market isn't under threat. It's a nice old one that one is. I drink in there from time to time, due to it not having shite music in general and being reasonably cheap and not too loud or busy - plus they have comfy alcoves. :(

Linky here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7433542.stm

(Updated with pics)
Hmm. It's not somewhere that the council wants to sell off for flats, is it? As some councils have a history of having places like that mysteriously go up in flames.
Pics or it isn't happening.
I notice it hasn't made any sort of impact on the BBC front page, whereas when that disused bus depot in That London caught fire they were scrambling 20 helicopters and drafting in experts on fire and smoke on the TV.
This right here is a very astute observation.
Dimrill wrote:
I notice it hasn't made any sort of impact on the BBC front page, whereas when that disused bus depot in That London caught fire they were scrambling 20 helicopters and drafting in experts on fire and smoke on the TV.

No one gives a fuck about dead welsh people.
My boss is not fond of the fact that O'neills bought his local and made it shit.

[14:25:37] ("Dudley's boss" - ed) says: ha ha - serves them right the cunts

He's all heart.
Maybe it set on fire because Captain Jack was standing on the roof and a camera wooshed past a bit more dramatically than fire safety regs allow.
Mr Chris wrote:
Hmm. It's not somewhere that the council wants to sell off for flats, is it? As some councils have a history of having places like that mysteriously go up in flames.

Central Cardiff Ablaze
Local council denies setting fire to city centre after reading internet forum thread
you forgot "from promulent Bristol based tiger lawyer." there.
Maybe it was the Doctor. There might not have been any lock on his bathroom stall and he sonic screw-drivered it. You know the amount of sparks that thing flings everywhere.
Shame, as that's the 'good' O'Neill's. It's nice and cozy, and is a good place to nip in for one of their excellent burgers and a pint of Guinness for lunch. The other one is crap.
Agreed. Why did it have to be good O'Neills? Eh? I really liked having a pub lunch once a fortnight there, with a good book and all.
Indeed. It's so good (HOW GOOD IS IT?) that I often found it hard to get a table in there!

Why couldn't somewhere utterly shit like Ha-Ha's burn down instead?
MetalAngel wrote:
It's nice and cozy
It's been especially cozy today. BOOM BOOM.
As a north Walian, I should be contractually obliged to post something along the lines of "ha ha" in this thread. I have been in that O'Neill's a few times though, so I shan't.

Of course, if you're talking Cardiff city centre pubs: Owain Glyndwr FTW. I like the way it serves as a surrogate 'local' for lots of people I grew up with every time there's a Wales game on*. Last time I visited there, I dumped into three blood relatives, despite each of us being at least 160 miles from home. (*The same also applies to that Australian pub I can't remember the name of, which is right next to the Millennium, within one hour of kick-off. And yes, I do realise absolutely no-one will give a flying toss about this comment other than me.)
Mark X wrote:
Last time I visited there, I dumped into three blood relatives, despite each of us being at least 160 miles from home.

Do you normally only do this closer to home then?

I think there were two Australian bars when I used to live there. Walkabout and the Oz bar, both in St Marys Street. Oz bar had turned into a Chinese buffet when I was there a few months ago.
Walkabout is still there, and is still utterly appalling unless you go Monday to Thursday before about 8pm for just a burger and a drink and then VACATE before all the twats arrive.

Oz Bar is indeed now a Chinese buffet.

There's also Bar Billabong up on Albany Road, which is a surprisingly tolerable place to go if the bustle of the Claude (or if you can't find the well-concealed old men's section) puts you off prior to your meal in one of the many fine restaurants in the vicinity.
Joans wrote:
Mark X wrote:
Last time I visited there, I dumped into three blood relatives, despite each of us being at least 160 miles from home.

Do you normally only do this closer to home then?

I think there were two Australian bars when I used to live there. Walkabout and the Oz bar, both in St Marys Street. Oz bar had turned into a Chinese buffet when I was there a few months ago.

Ah, bollocks. "Bumped", clearly. Curse Firefox's inline spell checker. (That claims 'Firefox' isn't an actual word, and should actually be 'firebox'.)
MetalAngel wrote:
Bar Billabong up on Albany Road
That's where I was drinking when I decided to get my ponytail cut off and dye my hair blonde.
And then have me take your picture!

I saw a guy in GTAIV who looked just like you when your hair was like that!

No, I didn't kill him.
Was he running funny in the park?
No. But whoever demanded the ability to make their multiplayer character run like that was a genius.
That was me, obviously. *buffs nails*
richardgaywood wrote:
MetalAngel wrote:
It's nice and cozy
It's been especially cozy today. BOOM BOOM.

That'll be the gas for the beer pumps going, then.
Page 1 of 1 [ 25 posts ]