Confirmation that the world is mad
as if it was needed
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7427206.stm

Quote:
The US chain Dunkin' Donuts has pulled an advert following complaints that the scarf worn by a celebrity chef offered symbolic support for Islamic extremism.

The online advert for iced coffee featured the well-known US television chef Rachael Ray.

She was wearing a black-and-white checked scarf around her neck that resembled a traditional Arab keffiyeh.

This fashion choice incensed at least one prominent conservative blogger, who said it evoked extremist videos.

FFS

Malc
The next time I buy a house, I am going to ensure it has a cellar I can convert into a bomb-shelter. Trufax.
I rarely swear, but:

Dickheads.
It's the new McCarthyism. Islam and the "liberals" have taken the place of the communists.
I have a scarf just like that. I am on my way to hand myself in so I can have a nice holiday in Cuba.

Seriously, Americans do often ask (elsewhere) why we laugh at them so much, and this is another great reason. Which is a shame as there are so many americans that do cool stuff and that never makes the news. Some of my best friends are americans.
I don't like those scarves because *boom* in seemingly one day everyone was wearing them.
Mimi wrote:
I don't like those scarves because *boom*

Ah maybe they were right to ban the advert after all?

Malc
Mimi wrote:
I don't like those scarves because *boom* in seemingly one day everyone was wearing them.

I had mine years back, TYVM. I think I was 16 when I got it. Doubles up as a 1 person picnic blanket and everything.
"BETTER SOMEONE'S DAY" doesn't make any sense at all.
I took this the other day - fits in quite well, IMHO.

Attachment:
28052008103.jpg

Stuck in the window of Scotland Yard.
Is that you wearing the yellow t-shirt?
Looks like him yes.
Oh yeah, so it is. Eagle-eyes.
Did you not get arrested for taking a photo of or near Scotland Yard? I'm amazed.
Not until he just admitted it right now.
Do you ever take your Brainiac Tshirt off Grim...?
;)
MaliA wrote:
Seriously, Americans do often ask (elsewhere) why we laugh at them so much, and this is another great reason. Which is a shame as there are so many americans that do cool stuff and that never makes the news. Some of my best friends are americans.

Americans aren't the problem. Hooting dickholes are the problem. It's just the fact that there are 300 million people in America, so they've got more hooting dickholes than most. And hooting dickholes will always get more attention than the excellent majority.

"Hooting dickholes" is such a brilliant phrase. Thanks, Yahtzee.
My take has always been the following.

"All countries have idiots. America's are louder."
Dudley wrote:

"All countries have idiots. America's are louder and have guns"

Yee-haw FTFY
Dudley wrote:

"All countries have idiots. America's are louder and think that OMG THAT IS THE GAYEST THING EVER YOU FAG BULLSHIT NOOB."

Xbox Live FTFY.
Dudley wrote:

"All countries have idiots. America's are the biggest and best though."

IMHO
All good versions :D
America seems, in some strange way, to have the best and worst of everything.
SteONorDar wrote:
America seems, in some strange way, to have the best and worst of everything.

Often both in the same item.
It's an endlessly fascinating place certainly.
Zardoz wrote:
;)

That T-shirt actually says "Stop! Hammertime!" using pictures.
Dudley wrote:

Indeed. The assumption made by certain Brits (not here, I should add) that, because they speak more or less the same language, they are more or less the same as us is one of the most hugely mistaken I've come across.
SteONorDar wrote:
Dudley wrote:

Indeed. The assumption made by certain Brits (not here, I should add) that, because they speak more or less the same language, they are more or less the same as us is one of the most hugely mistaken I've come across.

Someone once said: "Two countries seperated by a common language"

Malc
Grim... wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
;)

I am wanting this T-shirt.

Actually, one that says

'Alright, stop!'
on the front and

'Hammertime!' across the shoulders on the back.
Rodafowa wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Americans aren't the problem. Hooting dickholes are the problem. It's just the fact that there are 300 million people in America, so they've got more hooting dickholes than most. And hooting dickholes will always get more attention than the excellent majority.

"Hooting dickholes" is such a brilliant phrase. Thanks, Yahtzee.

The problem is, for whatever reason, it's much easier for them to be heard in America.
Mimi wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
;)

I am wanting this T-shirt.

http://www.chargrilled.co.uk/t-shirts/p ... hammertime
I'm getting me one of those!
That looks ace, but 18 sponds for a fucking t-shirt! They need to get a new sweatshop.

EDIT - Oh my good heavens.
Mr Chris wrote:
That looks ace, but 18 sponds for a fucking t-shirt! They need to get a new sweatshop.

I'm sure it would not be so funny if it said "Rape? 95% of the time I'm not convicted"
Speaking of the world going mad... I live in a cul-de-sac. Non of the kids here seem to get on, and I'm talking primary school age mostly, there's a lot of 'my family is better than your family' most of the time. Today however, has been different. All of the kids have been out and playing with each other and all of the adults have been out helping them, telling them where to hide etc... much fun has been had by all, until this evening. Someone only called the police and complained and the police told them that they have to stop playing it! ?:|
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Speaking of the world going mad... I live in a cul-de-sac. Non of the kids here seem to get on, and I'm talking primary school age mostly, there's a lot of 'my family is better than your family' most of the time. Today however, has been different. All of the kids have been out and playing with each other and all of the adults have been out helping them, telling them where to hide etc... much fun has been had by all, until this evening. Someone only called the police and complained and the police told them that they have to stop playing it! ?:|

<twitches curtains>
*reports MaliA to the council for something*
Plissken wrote:

Best. Picture. Ever.
I've always intended to make a t-shirt of it.
It'd be too small unless there's a larger res picture available
Every time I see a stop sign I'm consistantly amazed that every single one in the country hasn't yet been graffitid with '...Hammertime!' underneath.
Mr Chris wrote:

Yeah, that one is cheaper, you're right.
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

To which, surely, the correct response is "piss off, copper", as no-one appears to be breaking any laws, from your summary.

Many police think they have more powers than they do, and they certainly neither understand all of the laws of this country, nor even know of all of the ones they're supposed to be enforcing.

Did anyone hear about this story? I'll wait for you to get over the initial "oh my goodness, that guy went round spraying wee on the food in Morrisons. How could anyone tell?". Right? Ok.

Although it's not mentioned in that link, it was reported on the local news that after the attack the police locked all of the potential witnesses (people they knew to be innocent) in the store for three hours so they could get statements. Various parents and elderly people were interviewed afterwards saying that they weren't let out, and it was terrible, one toilet between 200 people, and the shop smelled of wee etc. They locked in the witnesses for three hours and wouldn't let them leave.

I'm sorry, but what?

The police think they have the power to detain potential witnesses now?

I'd have marched straight out, and the second a copper tried to stop me I'd have told him he had no powers to detain me, and was in fact doing so illegally, and that if he so much as touched me to prevent me leaving it would constitute assault and battery (trufax - if a copper touches you without a legitimate reason, it's A&B - a copper got done for putting his hand on an innocent guy's shoulder to stop him from walking off when the copper wanted to talk to him).
'Group nobody's heard of before sends out press release: websites and newspapers print it to fill space'
I don't know if it's just me, but I'd be far more likely to buy coffee from a shop called "Slutbucks".
<joke about beans>
I miss this t-shirt:

Page 1 of 2 [ 60 posts ]