Which display do you use your Wii on?
Least-worst option for you?
I had my Wii on a £100 Goodmans CRT with a nice flat screen, though a third party RGB Scart cable and it looked fine to my eyes. Now swapped that in my games room for a 20" Samsung Pebble HDTV and monitor, which has one of every input. It apparently does no after-effects whatsoever on normal RF telly, and a cheap freeview box through scart using my dodgy roof arial is every bit as cock as it should be. But the Wii, using a third party component, looks utterly fugly. I appreciate that the 'inbuilt anti-ailaising' of a CRT is no longer in effect and I can expect some jaggies but it looks like a PS1 game, whatever I play. Mario Galaxy looks far worse, for example. I think my SAmsung isn't doing much to upscale the 480p the wii is giving it, hence low quality.

Has anyone else chosen not to run their Wii through an HDTV? Is there something I might do with my samsung I'm not doing (none of the presets work great picture wise, so I'm using my contrast slider and so on...). Can't help feeling this is costing Nintendo, as having even the choices of output the PS2 enjoys would have seen me buy Lost Winds already. But if I need to bring in my hulking great crt to get the best from the graphics, I'm not sure I'll be doing that instead of GTA4, you know?
I run my Wii through third party component cables too and while you notice the difference when you switch from a 360 to it, it's still a lot better than using the bundled cable. I always have to switch my TV picture mode though as the Wii display is significantly brighter than the 360.
Yes, can't seem to stop it over-saturating :(
On other's advice, I swapped out my "normal" cable with a Nintendo speciall spankypants cable, allowing me to select HDTV mode (Hello, Dudders!). It's not a *massive* difference, but it's noticable...sharper more defined edges. Of course it's still only 480p so switching from Flatout on 360 to Zelda on Wii initially looks fugly, but to be honest I forgot about it within a few minutes.

I have a Samsung too, btw, and I found that the "Adjust your picture" screen on Zelda was faaaaar to dark at my usual settings - if you have the disc try seeing if you can adjust your screen to it. It makes it a lot better.
Will do!

/edit oh fuck me, no, that makes the menus look even more fuzzy and jaggy than before. Text in the Wii Shop is now like playing Dead Rising on a crt.
I have my Wii connected to my 32" Samsung LCD via a Joytech component cable.

The 480 option is selected in the Wii menu, the TVs component input is set 'Game Mode' (this could be a Samsung only feature).

Using Opera now is fantastic as text is 1000 times clearer, and for me the games look much better too.
I shall assume your mega-Samsung does something snazzy to the picture, then.
I run mine at 480p through component on a 52" Sony LCD (with game mode on, to avoid nasty delays due to processing) and it looks ok. Obviously not as sharply defined as the PS3 or 360, but basically fine.
My Wii is through a third party component cable to my amp and from there up to the TV, which is a 32" Toshiba LCD. It looks pretty good all in all. The Toshs have a reputation for doing a good job of upscaling SD (the inbuilt Freeview tuner looks a lot better than my Sky box on an awful lot of channels, and not just skanky assed low bitrate ones, I mean BBC and ITV).
I've got mine through my Samsung 26" HDTV. Looked awful with the bundled cables, but it looks great with the official component cable.
Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]