MOAR TELLY!
sorry
I've got about 250 quid.

I want a shiny telly that will do the following:

Play XBox in HD thing
Stick a Wii through it
Have my freeview HDD thing run through it.

This looks OK, but I can't see what the difference is between that and this.
For a few quid more, you could have the Samsung version , and 9/10 BETEOers would recommend them.
Can I stick an Xbox AND a Wii AND the HDD recorder through it? Needs 2x Scart and 1x HDMEye IIRC.
"Analogue, Digital, HDMI, Composite, S-video, Component, SCART"

I'd personally swap out a SCART for a Composite or Component, but that's because I'd much rather have a Samsung telly than an LG one. I have no friends to impress, see ;)
Sheepeh wrote:
"Analogue, Digital, HDMI, Composite, S-video, Component, SCART"

I'd personally swap out a SCART for a Composite or Component, but that's because I'd much rather have a Samsung telly than an LG one. I have no friends to impress, see ;)

YES BUT CAN I PLUG THE CUNTING THINGS I WANT TO PLUG INTO IT AT THE SAME TIME?

I''m only asking as tv's seem to have gotten more complicated since i last bought one.
YES YOU CAN, YOU CUNT.

YOU JUST SWITCH BETWEEN SOURCES WITH A SOURCE BUTTON.

You can plug in as many things as there are sockets, all at once.
Sheepeh wrote:
YES YOU CAN, YOU CUNT.

YOU JUST SWITCH BETWEEN SOURCES WITH A SOURCE BUTTON.

You can plug in as many things as there are sockets, all at once.

Spiffing.

1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ¦ 1 x DVI-D - 24 pin digital DVI ¦ 1 x SCART - 21 pin SCART ¦ 1 x HDMI - 19 pin HDMI Type A ¦ 1 x S-video input ¦ 1 x component video input

in them, then, so EggBox goes in HDMI, HDD digibox in Scart and the wii goes in as well, I guess.

Jolly good.

EDIT: But the LG seems the same.

Color me confuzzled.
You'll need a component for the wii, that could be shared with the 360.
Dudley wrote:

Wii is currently plugged in through rear of HDDdigiboxthingymadoodah.
I didn't recommend a Samsung over an LG because you could plug more stuff in, just cus it's a higher quality panel in it (usually). I don't own that specific model, but all my Samsung tellies/monitors could blow away an LG in the image quality stakes, especially in HD. You will have to play with the settings though, the defaults on all TVs suck mightily.
Sheepeh wrote:
I didn't recommend a Samsung over an LG because you could plug more stuff in, just cus it's a higher quality panel in it (usually). I don't own that specific model, but all my Samsung tellies/monitors could blow away an LG in the image quality stakes, especially in HD. You will have to play with the settings though, the defaults on all TVs suck mightily.

So I should buy the Samsung as it's Aceness?
Samsung's in general are aceness, I just picked the one closest to the style you were looking at and around your price. Feel free to browse for a nicer looking casing, and check with us if it's "good enough".
MaliA wrote:
Dudley wrote:

And presumably is thus not doing 480P.
Dudley wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Dudley wrote:

And presumably is thus not doing 480P.

I don't think my Philip's 21 inch CRT does that.
I'm really confused now.

I currently have a 21inch CRT. So a 22 inch new one is going to be about the same screen size or not?
MaliA wrote:
I'm really confused now.

I currently have a 21inch CRT. So a 22 inch new one is going to be about the same screen size or not?

Is the CRT widescreen or not? If it's not then, a 22" widescreen is not going to be as tall as as your old monitor (but it will be considerably wider)

When looking into it, to get a screen that could match the height of my non widescreen 19" monitor, I would need to get a 24" widescreen.

Malc
A 21" LCD has more *viewable* screen than a 21" CRT. It's to do with the tube being slightly behind the bezel in a a CRT. A 22" LCD will appear just over an inch bigger in viewable terms than a 21" CRT.
Sheepeh wrote:
A 21" LCD has more *viewable* screen than a 21" CRT. It's to do with the tube being slightly behind the bezel in a a CRT. A 22" LCD will appear just over an inch bigger in viewable terms than a 21" CRT.

So the picture will be biggerer?
As long as the 21" and the 22" are the same aspect ratio (i.e both widescreen or both 4:3) then yes. If you change from a 4:3 to a widescreen then about the same, only a different shape.
Sheepeh wrote:
As long as the 21" and the 22" are the same aspect ratio (i.e both widescreen or both 4:3) then yes. If you change from a 4:3 to a widescreen then about the same, only a different shape.

Good oh.

Ta very muchly for the help. For some reason I'm struggling to get my head around it.
No problem, chap. I've sold TVs to many customers in the past, so I've been asked dumber questions than yours!
Sheepeh wrote:
No problem, chap. I've sold TVs to many customers in the past, so I've been asked dumber questions than yours!

Right, this is an old photo, taken when I had no furniture, when I jsut moved in, but that's how big my telly is now, and will a 22 inch LCD HD telly be OK in the corner?
If you think the 21" is, I'd be looking at 26 absolute min for that space just to avoid eyestrain but then I have a 37" TV in not massively more space, you might not want it to dominate the room like that.

Quote:

I don't think my Philip's 21 inch CRT does that.

No but your new one presumably would.
Like Dudders says, depending where your furniture is you may want to go a *smidge* bigger. But if you're ok with the size you're getting, it'll fit there perfectly. I use a 20" myself in my bedroom, and it's comfortable to sit maybe 2 - 4 metres from it, depending on game.
yeah, it's changed a lot since then but telly is still at the same height, a quick google came up with #productInformationSection" class="postlink">this Matsui but I can't find any reviews of it, nor fathom the information presented.
I hear Matsui, I think "God No". On the cheap ass end of the market your best bet is probably acoustic solutions (Argos sell one of their 26" ones for £230), but if you're staying at 22, you have the money for a good make, a 26" Samsung will cost you £365 or so.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... %2BTVs.htm
Dudley wrote:
I hear Matsui, I think "God No". On the cheap ass end of the market your best bet is probably acoustic solutions (Argos sell one of their 26" ones for £230), but if you're staying at 22, you have the money for a good make, a 26" Samsung will cost you £365 or so.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... %2BTVs.htm

Yeah, mrs A noticed that earlier and MSM'd it me (the link, natch). I think I'll hvae to jsut try and get one of each size and stick it in the corner and try them out, or something.
Matsui is Dixon's own brand. It's as good as it sounds.
Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:

Vistron rank slightly below Matsui in my reckoning, although of course I could be wrong about those sets.

That said, the 22" doesn't even have component, so you can kiss goodbye to EDTV res Wii playing for a start.
You have to get an LG if you want to look cool.
myoptika wrote:
You have to get an LG if you don't want all your mates to take the piss out of it.

whatever, dick-FTFY.
in hindsight id buy a samsung over an LG, dunno why but my very minor issues with my LG have soured me slightly.

id say go with the best brand you can afford from a reputable dealer and if so pay a bit more.
John Lewis' 5 year warranty thing seems like a deal to me, again in hindsight.
ZOMG I can't believe you've dissed the LG.
this telly says: ** Please note this is analogue only, Freeview/Digital Version of this unit is avaialble under Quick Find Code 130222***

The only difference I can see (Other than the brightness and contrast) is DTV Tuner connectivity. I assume that DTV = Digital TV. How is this different to Freeview TV through a digital socket?

Also, is this LG is cool stuff serious, I can't tell? Are LG better than Samsung or not?
Samsung are preferred by many over LG. But LG are still a good bet for a slightly cheaper alternative.
Bobbyaro wrote:
this telly says: ** Please note this is analogue only, Freeview/Digital Version of this unit is avaialble under Quick Find Code 130222***

The only difference I can see (Other than the brightness and contrast) is DTV Tuner connectivity. I assume that DTV = Digital TV. How is this different to Freeview TV through a digital socket?

Also, is this LG is cool stuff serious, I can't tell? Are LG better than Samsung or not?

"A Digital socket?"

You'll need a separate box to see Freeview at all on 133810. 130222 has it built in.
Just had a power cut at work, yay went to pub!! :DD

Quote:
"A Digital socket?"

HDMI ? I thought that HDMI was digital, and that other (eg, s-video) were analogue (Caution: this may be bullshit).

I thought it might have freeview, but I made the mistake of looking at the "built in devices" section, which doesn't list freeview!!

Will the difference in contrast and brightness make much difference to gaming? I will primarily be using this TV for xbox 360 usage?

Thanks.
myoptika wrote:
You have to get an LG if you want to look cool.

I have an LG! I am therefore cool!

:D
Which one did you get in the end?
myoptika wrote:
Which one did you get in the end?

None, yet.
Page 1 of 1 [ 41 posts ]