Microsoft Acts On DRM Issue!
And there's no Spring Update..
Quote:
According to Whitten, XBLA titles that have been out for more than six months, have a Metacritic score of less than 65%, and have a conversion rate of less than 6% will be eligible for desliting. Microsoft will give three months of notice before these titles are removed.

Full Interview

Whitten also told us that there would be no spring dashboard update for Xbox 360 owners this year, saying that resources were instead focused on “building the proper infrastructure and scale for the service.” There will however be a change to DRM policy and a tool released next month that will allow 360 owners to re-license content to a single console—finally fixing the issue that forced gamers playing XBLA games to be connected to Xbox LIVE if their 360 broke down and was replaced.

Now, while the DRM tool sounds like a very Good Thing - what happens if you're one of the ones who buy an older XBLAH game, and you need to redownload it? Well, you can't. Sucks to be you. Go buy an Elite, as we let you move the DRM, cheapskates.

It'll be interesting to see which XBLAH games MS are officially classing as "A Bit Shit, Really" though.
Sheepeh wrote:

It'll be interesting to see which XBLAH games MS are officially classing as "A Bit Shit, Really" though.

[Crosses fingers and waits for a certain beardy wierdy sheep lover to explode in anger.]
I don't see why they can't just relegate the 'shit' games to an obscure corner of xbox live, rather than removing them completely?
Because no publisher is going to want to be in a section marked "Games that are shit"
Dudley wrote:
Because no publisher is going to want to be in a section marked "Games that are shit"

To be fair that was almost Amsoft's strapline.
Why on Earth would they do that?! Are they running out of server space or something?
Because their UI designers are shit and have yet to make XBLA remotely navigable. Much easier to just junk half the titles instead.

Edit: That said, why not renegotiate the contracts and shift them to a bargain bin for 100/200 points? It's what's always been done - flog remaining stock cheap then relaunch under El Cheapo branding for 1.99. Except now there isn't any remaining stock and the El Cheapo branding comes free. It's a win-win.
What BikNorton said.

I think there has been a problem with the Spring Update. There was that leaked list a few weeks ago that looked very credible -- and this is very late in the day to make this announcement. I think it's been pulled for some reason.
There's a three month notice period, plenty of time to protest.

Also, having played his next game, I doubt Jeff'll be worried about SG once that is released.
Dudley wrote:

Unless their games are really, really shit.

Doesn't make sense to me though - just because a game gets bad reviews doesn't mean someone won't get some enjoyment from it.
Indeed. I own both Space Giraffe and Crystal Quest.
BikNorton wrote:
Edit: That said, why not renegotiate the contracts and shift them to a bargain bin for 100/200 points? It's what's always been done - flog remaining stock cheap then relaunch under El Cheapo branding for 1.99.

I think there's something in the contracts where M$ Get the first 200 points worth of any game at any price, or something similar to that, in which case dropping the price wouldn't help indie devs at all, anyway.
Hmm, I'm not impressed by this.
So MS could take the first 50 points instead. There's no way it costs more than 45p to serve a game, and any revenue is good revenue, especially for developers who've already tooled up to support MS and might be kept from going under by a trickle from older titles. You know it makes sense! MS apparently don't.

Edit: From Kotaku: Whitten hopes that "Overall I think you will find this will focus the catalogue more on larger, more immersive games and make it much easier to find the games you are looking for."

So, a) I was right, and b) "larger, more immersive games" wasn't the fucking point of XBLA was it? Well, the "larger" bit, which as we all know has little to do with "immersive".
Sheepeh wrote:

That one they gave us for free.
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Dudley wrote:

To be fair that was almost Amsoft's strapline.

Didn't Dudley just get an achievement?

Also: I thought Minter had given up making games?
Yeah he did, just before Space Giraffe.
Dimrill wrote:
Why on Earth would they do that?! Are they running out of server space or something?

Because it helps no-one if someone comes on, tries a game at random that's shit and then goes "XBLA is shit".

Quote:
Also, having played his next game, I doubt Jeff'll be worried about SG once that is released.

Amusingly, Space Giraffe sits just 3 points above "Relegation" with a meta score of 68%.

Quote:

They don't make the worth distinction, Metacritic do, at 65%. A quick glance at the list reveals these would all be in danger if they don't have the conversion rate required.

Yaris - 17
Rocky And Bullwinkle - 3776.
Screwjumper - 40
Cyberball - 41
Bliss Island - 42
Tron - 43
New Rally-X - 43
Discs of Tron - 44
Totemball - 44
Street Trace NYC - 45
Battlestar Galactica - 55
Root Beer Tapper - 61
Super Contra - 61
Mad Tracks - 62
Frogger - 62 (Oh Jeff WILL be pleased)
Pac-man - 62
Hardwood Spades - 62 (and backgammon too)
Crystal Quest - 64

I've played all those, I've bought 1 of them. I would propose XBLA and the universe in general would be better off if none of those had ever existed.

Incidentally, there's a huge cluster on 65 including a couple I actually quite like.

Gauntlet, Ms Pac-man, Dig Dug, Feeding Frenzy, Bankshot Billiards 2 and Robotron 2084.

Oh while we're at it, the other one they gave us free was "Undertow", which at 800 points originally, scraped a Meta score of 76.
SO you're saying that Undertow scores better than 65% 8)
Dimrill wrote:

I struggle to think of a game I enjoyed less...
Actually those are all shit aren't they, apart from Mad Tracks which seemed quite entertaining from the trial - that is the Micro Machines-a-like isn't it?
Dim, edited my post while you were posting yours.

Yes, a full 76. Which tells you the kind of drivel that'll get pruned by this.
*I* like New Rally-X, Ms. Pac-Man, and most certainly do Robotron 2084. But of 20 games or so, the rest can all happily explode in space for all I care.

I'm quite pleased, that's a good ratio of rubbishness to remove. I hope they don't make these games 'disappear forever' though...
Undertow is the worst apology I have ever received.
Conversion rate is how much they've sold, right? Speak English!

Frogger should be ok as hasn't it sold a bajillion copies? I'm sure Minter said that. He would know.
Zardoz wrote:
Undertow is the worst apology I have ever received.

You can tell a bad apology when you need to apologise for it.
myoptika wrote:
Conversion rate is how much they've sold, right? Speak English!

Frogger should be ok as hasn't it sold a bajillion copies? I'm sure Minter said that. He would know.

Coversion rate is the % of downloaded demos that are then paid for. The cut off here is 6%.
Are they actually saying that you won't be able to redownload them?

Because I know that there's some confusion with the way it works now, as some titles seem to disappear from the main XBLA Store but can still be downloaded (if you have grabbed it previously) by going to your Account Management pages (or something).
Yes, you will not be able to redownload them, welcome to the world of renting games online under the pretence of actually buying them.

I do want to say I told you so.
Dudley wrote:
Yes, you will not be able to redownload them, welcome to the world of renting games online under the pretence of actually buying them.

I can't see anything in the article posted that says they'll be delisted from the "Download History" part of the account management.

The most recent comment posted implies that they'll still be downloadable from the "Download History", although of course there's no officialness tied into this.

Just gotta suck it and see I guess.
Quote:
Yaris - 17
Rocky And Bullwinkle - 3776.
Screwjumper - 40
Cyberball - 41
Bliss Island - 42
Tron - 43
New Rally-X - 43
Discs of Tron - 44
Totemball - 44
Street Trace NYC - 45
Battlestar Galactica - 55
Root Beer Tapper - 61
Super Contra - 61
Mad Tracks - 62
Frogger - 62 (Oh Jeff WILL be pleased)
Pac-man - 62
Hardwood Spades - 62 (and backgammon too)
Crystal Quest - 64

How come Rocky and Bullwinkle has 3776? Does that mean people have bought multiple copies?

Thing is, it's a horrific waste of a licence - I love Rocky and Bullwinkle, but can't understand how they thought 100 terrible minigames that you can lose within 2 seconds of starting (or in some cases, win) was a good use of the licence. Indeed, the only good bit is the music, and most of that isn't even from the show.

Same for Bliss Island - terrible minigames. The only decent one in the demo was the one where you have to knock balls together (matron) to make them disappear. Just because everyone has 'wacky' names and looks ridiculous doesn't make it any more bearable.

New Rally X is shit.

Crystal Quest will sadly be looked on as a crappy clone of Geometry Wars (when the opposite is true)... it hasn't been helped by a bugged patch or the fact that you only earn achievements good and proper if you do it in the 'new graphics' mode.

You know what should be on there? Spyglass Boardgames. We fancied a go last night, until I remembered that there is NO LOCAL PLAY OPTION. Four fucking real life games that you sit down and play with the person and can see all their pieces - but it only works over Xbox fucking Live, for fucking fuck's sake.
Hopefully Mad Tracks has a decent conversion rate as that's better than its rating suggests.
I like that mad tracks has got some kudos from people on here, eurogamer gave it 3/10, its the best party game on xbox 360. well without plastic guitars.
Mad Tracks was ace, but the online mode was crap, as there was no lobby. So I never got the expansions.

Also, the Download History only stores the last 200 items, so if you've had your Xbox since launch like me, there's all kinds of stuff not on it.
MetalAngel wrote:
How come Rocky and Bullwinkle has 3776? Does that mean people have bought multiple copies?

It means I typod the 76 I added in for Undertow into it. Rocky got 37% on metacritic.

Quote:
You know what should be on there? Spyglass Boardgames. We fancied a go last night, until I remembered that there is NO LOCAL PLAY OPTION. Four fucking real life games that you sit down and play with the person and can see all their pieces - but it only works over Xbox fucking Live, for fucking fuck's sake.

Then good news, it got 54% on metacritic, I just missed it when I scanned the list (they lump boxed and XBLA in together).
Does that mean I could pay some spaceships for Spyglass BG, and its sole function would be to tell me I didn't have Gold privileges?
Curiosity wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

I struggle to think of a game I enjoyed less...

You never downloaded Totemball then, despite it being free?

Advice: Don't.
I can never make that bloody game work. Just doesn't see my hands. I use the camera for talking to my mate and gurning at people who nail me on Burnout. So probably not worth it, though is a niiice peripheral to have, like the semi-useful keyboard.
We need to Burnout again soon.
I'm always up some some burnination
Talk about that in the bloody Burnout thread then :p
MrD wrote:
Does that mean I could pay some spaceships for Spyglass BG, and its sole function would be to tell me I didn't have Gold privileges?

Yup. I used the second pretend gamertag I keep for visitors and such to try and join in a local game, only to be told that it didn't have Live Gold. Whether I would be able to play a local game (presumably with the information leaving my 360 and going all the way to a Live server, just to come straight back again) with one isn't clear, but I doubt it. A spectacularly stupid oversight.
Apparently, this is the full list of games. Someone at RHHYYLL went and done it, including games that aren't six months old yet.

• 235 Robotron: 2084 2006 65 :(
  • 236 Bankshot Billiards 2 2005 65
  • 237 Feeding Frenzy 2006 65
  • 238 Dig Dug 2006 65
  • 240 Ms. Pac-Man 2007 65
  • 245 Gauntlet 2005 65
  • 246 Crystal Quest 2006 64
  • 247 Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe 2007 64
  • 251 Hardwood Hearts 2005 64
  • 255 Texas Hold 'em 2006 63
  • 257 Fatal Fury Special 2007 63
  • 259 Contra 2006 63
  • 260 Marathon: Durandal 2007 63
  • 261 Triggerheart Exelica 2008 63 ?:|
  • 263 Missile Command 2007 63
  • 264 Time Pilot 2006 63 :(
  • 265 Track & Field 2007 63
  • 266 Hardwood Backgammon 2005 62
  • 269 Hardwood Spades 2005 62
  • 270 Pac-Man 2006 62
  • 272 Frogger 2006 62
  • 273 Mad Tracks 2007 62
  • 277 Root Beer Tapper 2007 61
  • 280 Super Contra 2007 61 (Is this just Contra? If so, :(
  • 287 Geon: Emotions 2007 59
  • 288 Soltrio Solitaire 2007 59
  • 291 Arkadian Warriors 2007 59
  • 292 TiQal 2008 58
  • 294 Rush'n Attack 2007 58 ?:|
  • 296 Aegis Wing 2007 58
  • 297 Defender 2006 58
  • 298 Rocketmen: Axis of Evil 2008 57
  • 299 Double Dragon 2007 57 ?:|
  • 301 Xevious 2007 56 :(
  • 303 Gyruss 2007 56 :(
  • 309 Asteroids / Asteroids Deluxe 2007 55 ?:|
  • 311 Battlestar Galactica 2007 55
  • 314 Centipede & Millipede 2007 55 :(
  • 317 Boogie Bunnies 2008 54
  • 318 Spyglass Board Games 2007 54
  • 321 Brain Challenge 2008 54
  • 323 Tetris Splash 2007 53
  • 327 Ecco the Dolphin 2007 53
  • 330 Battlezone 2008 52
  • 332 Tetris Evolution 2007 52
  • 337 Yie Ar Kung-Fu 2007 51
  • 340 Wing Commander Arena 2007 51
  • 341 Novadrome 2006 50
  • 348 Shrek-N-Roll 2007 49
  • 352 Mr. Driller Online 2008 48 ?:|
  • 353 Scramble 2006 47
  • 354 Tempest 2007 47
  • 357 Street Trace: NYC 2007 45
  • 359 Discs of Tron 2008 44
  • 360 TotemBall 2006 44
  • 362 Word Puzzle 2007 44
  • 363 New Rally-X 2006 43 ?:|
  • 365 Tron 2008 43
  • 367 Bliss Island 2008 42
  • 368 Cyberball 2072 2007 41
  • 370 Screwjumper! 2007 40 (still not even released in the UK)
  • 375 Rocky and Bullwinkle 2008 37
  • 380 Yaris 2007 17
One of the Marathon developers posts on SA and says the 6% stated would actually be a really high conversion rate.
I wonder, with the compilation of these 'at risk' lists, how much money M$ will make from people panic buying them?
Personally I'd be more than happy to see every game in that list banished forever.
Really? Some of them are rather fun. I've spent hours on Robotron and Time Pilot for example, which I'm too young to have played in the arcade, but old enough to have 'been there', just barely.
Again, I'm with CUS on this one. I've bought quite a few of these games and spent a few idle hours playing them. Not first class entertainment by any means, but still enough for someone who loves the retro like I do.
Super Contra is the sequel to Contra, it was known as 'Super C' (with the 'C' in the style of the Contra 'C') on the NES. Except in Europe, where you probably called it 'Probotector' and had it with all robots because killing people is bad, mmmkay?

Time Pilot I missed out on in the arcade, but had the (surprisingly accurate) Colecovision version of instead, hence my purchasing it almost immediately upon seeing it there on XBLA.

Odd thing is, the Coleco version omitted the final (2001) UFO level. And that final achievement (Perfection) is a fucking bitch.
Page 1 of 2 [ 54 posts ]