White men fleeing a big burning vagina?
Lord of The Rings, apparently
An amusingly bonkers defence of JK Rowling

Quote:
Readers who rave about the scope of Lord of the Rings, in which a club of white men flee (a) a big burning vagina and (b) some black guys in hoods, are simply unaware of the awesome complexity of Katharine Kerr's Deverry sequence of Celtic fantasy novels.

Hmmm.
I own the Katherine Kerr's books mentioned above. The deverry series is rather good, or rather, the initial 4 were. I believe those then sparked off something like 15 more books in that particular universe that I haven't read yet.
Okay - where's the vagina?
The Eye of Sauron in the film - thus demonstrating that she clearly hasn't read the chuffing books.
Mr Chris wrote:
she clearly hasn't read the chuffing books.

Oh right - she's not as mad as I thought, then ;)
Relatedly, I'd quite like to see Rowling impaled on a large spike. For giggles.
Mr Chris wrote:
The Eye of Sauron in the film - thus demonstrating that she clearly hasn't read the chuffing books.

I don't think for a minute that she believes it's an actual giant flaming vagina, but the symbolism is such. Of course, Saruman, and his rampant phallic tower are ultimately in thrall to the all seeing vagina. You might say he was pussy-whipped.
Also, GNGH, the sneery 'white men' tag.

Tolkien: From an interesting linguistic study point of view I'm going to do a new mythic epic for Europe primarily with a Nordic and Celtic influence.

Snotty critics: Oh I see, a bunch of white men, eh?

Reminds me of Germaine Greer on Newsnight Review slagging off the series before admitting she'd never read the books or seen the films.
The hobbits were described as "brown skinned" in the books though, weren't they?
Hobbits = Brummies. TRUFAX
Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]