Cardiff Live Venue The Point Under Threat
Signature Sign You Please!
Gagh, the council want to shut down The Point in Cardiff Bay. Basically they want to build some more flats next to it, and because a single noise polution complainant has been active they want to shut it down. I think it doesn't have a license for live music or something, though it is fully licensed as a club/drinks dispenser/recorded music dancathon.

This is hugely annoying, as it is the only medium sized venue in Cardiff that has anyone that isn't shit, basically bridging the gap between the small 'toilet' clubs like Barfly and The Welsh Clwb and the mammoth and frequently awful Millenium Centre. There used to be the Coal Exchange, which was awesome, but that got shut down too. Basically Cardiff Council keeps trying to present itself as a capital of culture whilst welcoming obnoxious chain bars with heavy drinking and squeezing out the small, independent venues. Ugh.

So if any of you could spare a minute to sign this petition I'd be most grateful. Court case starts tomorrow apparently. This is the place where I saw my favest gig ever - Laura Viers, and was a vital componant in the Swn festival of Cardiff Fest, featuring Beiruit. If this place closes, there's going to be far fewer decent medium sized bands playing Cardiff. :'(

Here's the petition link. Thanks, BETEO, THETEO.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/thepoint/

P.S: Is that the right topic icon for this sort of thing? I'm baffled.
Log out of Paypal before you sign it though. Just in case.
MrD wrote:
Log out of Paypal before you sign it though. Just in case.
Christ, that's a bit obnoxious, isn't it?
Do you mean me being obnoxious because you think I'm accusing pete of being a rapscallion?
Or do you mean the sneaky addition of the Paypal donation screen at the end of the signing process put there by ipetition?
MrD wrote:
Do you mean me being obnoxious because you think I'm accusing pete of being a rapscallion?
Or do you mean the sneaky addition of the Paypal donation screen at the end of the signing process put there by ipetition?

Almost definitely the latter.

Yeeuch.
Yes indeed. I just cunningly shut the window on that one, it still takes your sig though. Sorry about the lack of warning.

(Muah ha ha! All your details are mine, in a belonging to me fashion! etc.)
*Basks in the aura of validation while accidentally signing the petition too many times to read the donation spiel*
MrD wrote:
Yeah, this. That's crappy enough to make me never go there again.
But you did sign it that one time, right? 'cos I usually don't post petitions, but this one's a bit close to me, y'see.
Yeah, I signed it, I've never been to a gig in there but I know people who have.
Good for you. If for some reason we fail, I shall be on the council's case about it. Much as I am about Bute Park. GRRR.
While you're at it, can you get St Mary Street reopened to normal traffic and also get them to hurry the hell up and knock down the bus station already, please? Both of these have added over 5 minutes into my commute.
The new bus terminus will be next to Tresillian House and the Huggard Centre, and therefore I shall never ever ever use it, ever.

So they can take their time with the old one.
Goatboy wrote:
The new bus terminus will be next to Tresillian House and the Huggard Centre, and therefore I shall never ever ever use it, ever.

So they can take their time with the old one.

Crumbs! Erm, citation please. No, really. Where does it say, 'cos its the first I've heard of this and I can't find any information about it.

Also at Metal Angel:

1:No, I don't drive and the extra walk-space enables me to circumnavigate the agro-zones of Big Issue vendors.

2: Yes.
Citation: All the Big Issue vendors I work with!

According to some guy on the New Model Army forums they've saved the point now, 50k soundproofing from one complaint. This country is fucked up.
I hope they knock down the terminal already, as circumnavigating it every sodding day is getting very annoying.

Also, nobody walks on that widened sidewalk - as it's black paving, people reckon it's part of the road.
MetalAngel wrote:
sidewalk

*cough*
Haven't you got better things to do?
Nope. I'm still at work.
Do some work. Or enjoy some light reading.
I don't want to. I want to go home and eat.
Page 1 of 1 [ 21 posts ]