Big bang Theory
I quite like it.
I quite don't like it.
Zardoz wrote:
I quite don't like it.

I am curious as to which parts of the sitcom known as Big Bang Theory that vexes you so.

At first, I thought it was a bit rubbish, but it has grown on me, although I do see a lot of myself in it.
I love it. Everything about it is wrong, it's a sitcom about geeky phd students by the creators of Dharma and Greg, Two and a half men and Cybil. It should be a disaster, but (most of the time) it works.
I quite like it also. There are many things about it that are typical of banal American sitcom frippery, and recent episodes have been getting a bit silly and generic (perhaps because of the writers strike), but there are also lots of many good things about it. Some good jokes, one-liners, retorts etc. The occasionally genuinely clever 'science joke'. It's one of the very few shows that myself and my GF both like, for some odd reason.

Also, what Dudley said.
I'm reading "A Brief History Of Time" to the Grimlet, and I was ready to come into this thread and be all intelligent-sounding and stuff.
I didn't even know of this TV show. Damn you all.
Not enough geek jokes.
When I watch it with the missus, she spends an AWFUL lot of time looking at the screen, to me, and then back to the screen then to me, starts giggling a lot and pats me on the head. And won't tell me why.
The geeks just seem too camp for my liking. I don't like it at all.
...you're furiously masturbating at the time?
Mr Russ wrote:
...you're furiously masturbating at the time?

It was the younger daughter from 8 simple rules that always did it for me, not the barbie (although, curiously, the younger one is actually older than the older one who is younger than the younger one but after Dad karked it, I feel the series of 8 Simple Rules went downhill somewhat)
MaliA wrote:
but after Dad karked it, I feel the series of 8 Simple Rules went downhill somewhat

Somewhat?!?

I like the younger/older one, too. Is she in anything else now?
Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:
but after Dad karked it, I feel the series of 8 Simple Rules went downhill somewhat

Somewhat?!?

I like the younger/older one, too. Is she in anything else now?

Yes
MaliA wrote:
I am curious as to which parts of the sitcom known as Big Bang Theory that vexes you so.

It's mostly the actors and script that spoil it for me.
I like everyone in it except the main ubergeek. I guess he's supposed to be mroe hated than most, but the actor's perfected such a nasally whine that really came to the fore in that episode when he had the flu.
I really like the show, though the main tall uber-geek appears to be trying a little too hard to be Niles Crane at times.

It's very entertaining though, and the Feyonce laughs at it a lot, though again most of the laughs are directed at me for some reason.

:nerd:
Curiosity wrote:
I really like the show, though the main tall uber-geek appears to be trying a little too hard to be Niles Crane at times.

I thought that about 5 minutes into the first one.
The main geek guy (Leonard), you may recall from playing Darlene's boyfriend Mark (I think) on Roseanne. And who's that he's working with in some episodes of TBBT?

The other 'main geek' (Sheldon) I like, despite him being some kind of curious amalgam of every Wacky Neighbour / Wacky Foreigner / Wacky Alien character from the likes of Six Rock From The Sun, Dharma & Greg and the rest. Partly because I have known (English) people who are exactly like him (most of them university IT students). I can imagine finding him very hateable otherwise, though. Also, he IS good at his character. Lovely delivery etc.
CUS wrote:
I quite like it also. There are many things about it that are typical of banal American sitcom frippery, and recent episodes have been getting a bit silly and generic (perhaps because of the writers strike), but there are also lots of many good things about it. Some good jokes, one-liners, retorts etc. The occasionally genuinely clever 'science joke'. It's one of the very few shows that myself and my GF both like, for some odd reason.

Also, what Dudley said.

You don't have a girlfriend!
MaliA wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

In fairness, Niles is one of the greatest characters in anything ever, so at least it's better than trying to be someone who was rubbish.
Curiosity wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

In fairness, Niles is one of the greatest characters in anything ever, so at least it's better than trying to be someone who was rubbish.

1) Strongly agree.
jonarob wrote:
You don't have a girlfriend!

Sorry, I mean "That bit in the Darkness". I put that on, and we watch The Big Bang Theory together. And so on.
Haha!

edit: That was a bit of a cliquey in-joke, but I liked it.
It's not cliquey. People who remember the original joke will get that joke, and I am neither responsible nor caring for that.

Zucchini! Natch.
MaliA wrote:
I quite like it.

I do too, even if some of the jokes are a bit obvious "ha ha, they are geeks! They are rubbish with teh womans!!!!"

It's lighthearted fun, and my wife enjoys it. Sometimes she doesn't get the more geeky jokes/references, though.
Page 1 of 1 [ 25 posts ]