Photography Challenge 3 - WE HAVE A WINNER!
Voting now closed.

Please choose ONE photo as your favourite. Poll closes midnight, Wednesday (21st May) night.
Poll ended at Thu May 22, 2008 0:06
Photo ONE  5%  [ 2 ]
Photo TWO  0%  [ 0 ]
Photo THREE  5%  [ 2 ]
Photo FOUR  11%  [ 4 ]
Photo FIVE  17%  [ 6 ]
Photo SIX  29%  [ 10 ]
Photo SEVEN  0%  [ 0 ]
Photo EIGHT  11%  [ 4 ]
Photo NINE  0%  [ 0 ]
Photo TEN  0%  [ 0 ]
Photo ELEVEN  2%  [ 1 ]
Photo TWELVE  0%  [ 0 ]
Photo THIRTEEN  2%  [ 1 ]
Photo FOURTEEN  11%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 34
Please vote for your favourite picture - one vote per person. The poll will run for three days :hat:
Also, please feel free discuss any of the pictures in this thread :munkeh:

This month's topic was chosen by Ian Osborne Image
Quote:
Lines -
They don't have to be straight, they don't have to be curved, but let's have some photos with lots of lines in them...

Please don't forget to enter this fortnight's challenge, details of which can be found here!

OK, here are this month's entries:

PHOTO ONE:

PHOTO TWO:

PHOTO THREE:
"It holds inside it a life line, see?"

PHOTO FOUR:

PHOTO FIVE:

PHOTO SIX:

PHOTO SEVEN:

PHOTO EIGHT:

PHOTO NINE:

PHOTO TEN:
"Straight, yet round!"

PHOTO ELEVEN:

PHOTO TWELVE:

PHOTO THIRTEEN:

PHOTO FOURTEEN:
Damn, some good stuff here. Image thirteen seems to be awol, though!
Really, it is showing fine for me, let me re-do it in case.
Photo one - Is that Worcester catherdral? I have a very similar picture from when my girlfriend graduated. Excellent pictures all round but I know which one my favourite is!!

I may even be brave and have a stab at entering week 4's competition!
Good stuff. It's actually fortnightly rather than weekly, so as to not overwhelm people :smug:

Is that (being fortnightly) still working out OK for everybody, by the way?

Is there anything else I can do to make the process any smoother for people :?:

I might toodle off to bed now, I am a bit tired. Enjoy the pictures, folks - and well done to everybody who took part - there are some great pictures this time around and it's nice to see so many great ideas. I'll try and give a little critique on a few tomorrow xxx
grr, I was hoping you'd be off the boil here, I had a couple I wanted to upload, but I doubt they would have been as good as some of the entries any way.

Malc
I didn't get chance to take any pictures. Curse my busy busy life. I really like Picture 6 though, partially because it's an idea I thought of too but didn't have the time to pull it off (and it looks WAY better than I could have managed)
Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
grr, I was hoping you'd be off the boil here, I had a couple I wanted to upload, but I doubt they would have been as good as some of the entries any way.

Malc

You snooze, you...

No, it's a shame, Malc, I would have liked to have seen them anyway and it would have been nice to have you as another entrant. You could always put them on this thread for us to have a look at, anyway, if you've already taken them. I hope that you'll be able to join in fully next time, though :munkeh:
Mimi wrote:
Malc wrote:

Malc

You snooze, you...

No, it's a shame, Malc, I would have liked to have seen them anyway and it would have been nice to have you as another entrant. You could always put them on this thread for us to have a look at, anyway, if you've already taken them. I hope that you'll be able to join in fully next time, though :munkeh:

Do you want them in here? or shall I put them in a different thread?

Malc
Stick them here, it don't do any harm :)
Mimi wrote:
Stick them here, it don't do any harm :o)

Just didn't want to confuse the issue.

But ok (need to logmein to my home pc and find them)

Malc
No, all of the entry photos are in the first post, so it shouldn't confuse matters.

I hope you'll learn your lesson and get some pictures in on time, next time around! :DD
Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:

I wanted to get better quality/different angles/ and that's really why I hadn't uploaded any (although I was going to upload 2 any way, probably the cars one, and perhaps the brick building one)

Malc
I like the rainbow of toy cars and the lines of tall, slim trees - they are both great shots.
I'd say one thing, Malc, as a bit of general advice (which you may well disagree with, anyway) which I hope you do not mind me suggesting.

If I were you I'd have a look to see if you could perhaps heighten the contrast on your camera - some of your shots, though lovely, are a tad washed out in colour - the dark parts are grey and the colour is lost as they look a bit misty. I have done this in post-production (obviously) but most cameras will let you adjust the contrast, as yours seems a bit low - or maybe try white balancing your camera.

Here's the difference that a bit more contrast could make to one of your shots:
Image Image

No colour has been adjusted, nor the brightness changed, it's just the contrast has been knocked up a tad :munkeh:
Mimi wrote:
I'd say one thing, Malc, as a bit of general advice (which you may well disagree with, anyway) which I hope you do not mind me suggesting.

If I were you I'd have a look to see if you could perhaps heighten the contrast on your camera - some of your shots, though lovely, are a tad washed out in colour - the dark parts are grey and the colour is lost as they look a bit misty. I have done this in post-production (obviously) but most cameras will let you adjust the contrast, as yours seems a bit low - or maybe try white balancing your camera.

Here's the difference that a bit more contrast could make to one of your shots:
Image Image

No colour has been adjusted, nor the brightness changed, it's just the contrast has been knocked up a tad :munkeh:

Yeah, that's much better. I only have a crappy camera phone, with limited options in the picture department. (Even then it's actually my work phone that I share with someone else)

Malc
For camera phone shots they are ace-ness. My camera phone only shoots at about 200x200px, and everything looks like a gravel path.
Teensy little bump :)
I voted for 6, I can't resist a gag that good.
The guitar strings is a really nice technical shot (good macro focus), the "I will not press so hard" is a clever gag, and the monkeys shot has... well, monkeys, but I resisted all of them to vote for the shot of the double yellow lines. I like that one best but I don't know why, which is (I think) the best way to appreciate anything artistic.
If you're not convinced about 6's acesbestness look closer until you realise why they stopped halfway through a line.
Wow! Some quality shots there, well done to everyone involved.
Ones that catch my drunken eye.

1 - Nice lines in the roof. Good picture.

4 - Probably my second favourite. I love catching the trainers just in shot, and the way the lines are imperfect.

5 - It's weird, and makes me think of Banksy on acid.

6 - It's just too perfect. The joke is good, the lighting is excellent... I just have a weird feeling that I've seen it before. I know I've definitely seen the concept done before, possibly with even the same joke. It just reminds me of a stock photo. It's the best photo, but for the above reasons I voted elsewhere.

8 - Really love the contrast between the straight and curved lines.

11 - Good shadow photo. Really like the capture there.
Dudley wrote:
If you're not convinced about 6's acesbestness look closer until you realise why they stopped halfway through a line.
I noticed that, yes. Still prefer the yellow lines though. Not a rational choice, but then, I don't think it should be.
Photo 10 has num nums. Wins. Every. Time.
Dimrill, you are become aroused by shirt tails.
Hehe, yes - I think you are looking at that the wrong way up, Dimrill - I think that is a man's shirt and the photo is taken looking down to where he is sitting on a chair and the two sides of his shirt are laying upon his legs :hat:
richardgaywood wrote:
Dudley wrote:
I noticed that, yes. Still prefer the yellow lines though. Not a rational choice, but then, I don't think it should be.

Well I wasn't expecting logic from someone called Flush Bummergrove. ;)

(Please tell me that's not been used yet, I'm surprisingly proud of it)
Dudley wrote:
Well I wasn't expecting logic from someone called Flush Bummergrove. ;)

(Please tell me that's not been used yet, I'm surprisingly proud of it)
I think we can safely say that's a new one!
Photo Four reminded me of that George Harrison album cover which is actually a piece of art by someone or other. He's not actually lying on the road but standing up against the picture on the wall.:

Ah yes!

Number four is a good picture - I like the feet that are just in the shot. I think I would have had the lines off to one side a bit more, to either cut out the pavement or show a bit more of it, oh, and a george Harrison doll. I also dig the monkey picture and I'm intrigued to know what is being snorted in that other picture - lines of... satsuma?
Mimi wrote:
lines of... satsuma?
I thought perhaps vodka jelly.
It looks like some kind of fruit to me - too opaque/solid to look like a jelly. Either way, it looks a bit mad :smug:
Mimi wrote:
Hehe, yes - I think you are looking at that the wrong way up, Dimrill - I think that is a man's shirt and the photo is taken looking down to where he is sitting on a chair and the two sides of his shirt are laying upon his legs :hat:

:droool: NO! THEY ARE NUM NUMS! :'(
Ok, ok - yes, you must be right, Dim-Dims, they are 'num nums'.

*. . . Creeps away . . . ?:| *
Dimrill wrote:
NO! THEY ARE NUM NUMS!
Poor Dimrill. By the end, he was so obssessed, he was seeing breasts everywhere.
I see my "out of the box" thinking for photo 2 is being richly rewarded ;)

Terrible photo though, it would have been nicer if I could have actually found a cleaner example of one of those things in Shrewsbury.
Er...

The anonymous voting thing pass you by, Gazchap? ;)
Mimi wrote:
Er...

The anonymous voting thing pass you by, Gazchap? ;)

It stopped being anonymous the second your clicky clicky self rumbled my submission!
Is the anonymous thing a hard and fast rule? I assumed that if a photographer didn't want to stay anonymous that wouldn't matter :P
The whole reason that it was anonymous, was, I believe, because people thought that it was a fairer system to have submissions anonymous so that people did not vote for the most vocal/popular members of the forum, it just made the ground that little bit more even, so, yes, if it is going to be anonymous then it should be anonymous throughout I guess. There's always plenty of time for you to talk about your photo after the voting has finished, which is what happened last time, but to announce that so-and-so photo is yours halfway through the vote makes the process a bit redundant.

There's no point having an anonymous vote if we all start saying 'oh, and mine is photo X' halfway through.

Nynfortoo, yes, I did find out which is your picture, but that was completely by accident because I happened to see it elsewhere on the ninnynet as you had submitted it elsewhere, but accidental stumbling across something by sheer coincidence is not the same thing :)
Curiosity wrote:
Ones that catch my drunken eye.

6 - It's just too perfect. The joke is good, the lighting is excellent... I just have a weird feeling that I've seen it before. I know I've definitely seen the concept done before, possibly with even the same joke. It just reminds me of a stock photo. It's the best photo, but for the above reasons I voted elsewhere.

Now that I'm sober, I can see that this comes across all wrong.

Just thought I'd make it clear that I'm not accusing anyone of copying or using a stock photo or whatnot. I really like the picture, and think it is clever and shot very well (I think the lighting is perfect). I just wrote it in a hurry as I was drunk and about to play CoD with the other reprobates from around here. Apologies to whoever posted the picture. I did enjoy it and think it is ace.
I like the monkey photo best, so I voted for that one.
Mimi wrote:
Nynfortoo, yes, I did find out which is your picture, but that was completely by accident because I happened to see it elsewhere on the ninnynet as you had submitted it elsewhere, but accidental stumbling across something by sheer coincidence is not the same thing :)

Pfft, sheer coincidence driven by an obsession :p
Mimi wrote:
The whole reason that it was anonymous, was, I believe, because people thought that it was a fairer system to have submissions anonymous so that people did not vote for the most vocal/popular members of the forum,

Furry muff. Although based on it's performance so far, I don't think there's much danger of that happening anyway ;)
nynfortoo wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Pfft, sheer coincidence driven by an obsession :p

Hehe, yes, if you put it that way. Actually, the chances were pretty darn slim - I never actually found your photo - I found someone else's picture ad happened to see that you had visited the same person, and there was a link back to you which, naturally, my curious fingers couldn't help but click.

And yes, you are the most popular person here, Gazchap. maybe your picture is just too magnificent for us mere mortals to appreciate in it's magnificent form.
I'm going with 13. I like the geometry and I really like the simple colour shapes as fat lines - fat blue line, fat green line, fat grey line, fence and detail lines in the fields. I would have zinged the contrast and taken out the fluffy clouds and probably over egged the pudding with some wing tip aerilon (sp?) trails in the sky as well.

It's all lines with the exception of the fluffly clouds.

Saw something the other day that would have made a good entry if I had had a decent camera on me at the time - I was on my bike and it was moving objects so by the time I stopped and got my gloves off (I was using my iPhone, so it would have needed flesh to take the shot!). I was on Hackney Marsh (I spend a lot of time on there walking my dogs) and it was one of those crisp hazy mornings, with a bright sun shimmering in the mist and heading toward it from two directions approximately 90 degrees apart were two planes with pronounced wing tip trails - it looked like missile command!
DBSnappa wrote:
Saw something the other day that would have made a good entry if I had had a decent camera on me at the time - I was on my bike and it was moving objects so by the time I stopped and got my gloves off (I was using my iPhone, so it would have needed flesh to take the shot!). I was on Hackney Marsh (I spend a lot of time on there walking my dogs) and it was one of those crisp hazy mornings, with a bright sun shimmering in the mist and heading toward it from two directions approximately 90 degrees apart were two planes with pronounced wing tip trails - it looked like missile command!

Awesome, shame, and welcome :)
Page 1 of 3 [ 104 posts ]