Region free Wii? Why yes! Apparently.
From savygamer:

Savy Gamer wrote:
Homebrew Region free Wii launcher released

If you are down with the Twilight hack, then the killer ap we've all been waiting for has finally been released. "Gecko Region Free" an .elf file for region free Wii game launching can be downloaded here.

Big thanks to NUke and everyone else who contributed to making this launcher.

Sadly it doesn't work with Super Smash Bros. Brawl as of yet, but hopefully they are working on a new version which will. Maybe Gamecube compatibility further down the line?

From NUke -
"Gecko Region Free was created with the homebrew libogc library. No certs, Tmd, Tik, Keys or other Nintendo copyright material were used or attached in the file, making it a pure homebrew release. No Datel code was used either, so please don't call this a clone etc as this and Freeloader work in completely different ways.

The decryption is done by the hardware, not in software and the correct IOS version of the game booting is selected and used. This is done by reading the information off the DVD using the low level read commands and then passed back to the starlet.

My own apploader was written, and will completely ignore the update partition, no patching is done except a region flag which is required.

This of course only works with Wii games."

It has been confirmed to work with No More Heroes, and the fantastic part of this hack is that it can't be used for piracy.
"Very Fantastic!"
Savy Gamer wrote:
...and the fantastic part of this hack is that it can't be used for piracy.

Pfff.
Anyone tried the Twilight hack themselves? Wonder if I should give it a go, I've got LoZ:TP, several SD cards, and a Wii...
Well hello there.
Hello there, blogging champion.
mrak wrote:
I got the region free hack working, or at least I assume so since I don't have any non-EU games. I also got a Genesis emulator running using the same technique, or at least I assume so since the emulator itself can only read ROM files from an SD-card in an adapter plugged into one of the Gamecube memory card ports.

I've had no luck getting the port of ScummVM to work though. This is especially a shame because this is precisely why I bought a Wii in the first place. (given the assumption that point and clicks would have been an obvious thing to do from the off)

Are you using a loader that is compatible with .dol files, not just .elf files? I suggest Front SD ELF Loader
Hello there LewieP.

Strange to see you here.

It's far more sophisticated than that other place.

I mean we can do this for a start: :hat:

You'll like it.
Demo of new Wii Homebrew Channel shown
Quote:
Check this video out, and be amazed at how quickly the collective hard work of a bunch of really talented bedroom programmers have put together a fantastic solution for Wii homebrew

I cannot wait for the public release of this.
LewieP wrote:

I've been playing with the region free thing, it's pretty good but hasn't got great compatibility (unless it's improved significantly in the last few months).

One of the nights soon (poss wednesday) I could scribble up an easy to follow guide to get the Scummvm/Region free stuff working if anyone would like?
yeah, that'd be cool.
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]