The clittycally-insane Cull of Jewty 4 Mordor Wharfe Hare
IGN.COM - 9/10
Dimrill wrote:
I saw Zardoz pop onto Live last night via the webshite, but by the time my eggbox had connected to the network he'd gone again.. like a fart.

It disconnected me from live (downloading some demos or suttin) But I was playing the solo campaign until 1.30ish, in fact I played one of the most enjoyable fps levels I have EVER played last night. The flashback level with Captain MacMillan.
Craster wrote:
Dimrill wrote:
.. like a fart.

Mine don't disappear that quick.

Mine neither, sometimes I have to check if I've touched cloth or not.
Zardoz wrote:
But I was playing the solo campaign until 1.30ish, in fact I played one of the most enjoyable fps levels I have EVER played last night. The flashback level with Captain MacMillan.
I think this is widely, and rightly, regarded as one of the highlights of not only CoD4 but also of all gaming during 2007. The year when Inifinity Ward's critically acclaimed Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was hailed as "game of the year" by many voters and E3, and awarded 9.10 by IGN.com, who called it "one of the deepest online shooters of all time".
I really soundly enjoyed the single player campaign, and it's another that completely changes when you bang it up to the top difficulty. I've avoided One Shot One Kill on veteren so far, as the thought of the final ferris wheel assault at that difficulty makes me feel queasy.
I've really gone off this game as I seem to be getting worse, not better.
Questions:

Am I going to start off with crap guns tonight?

I understand that certain stuff needs to be unlocked, do you unlock it through the single campaign/online/both?

Was I wrong to thoroughly enjoy 'The number of the Beast' by Iron Maiden on my drive into work?
Like everything, I have good days and bad days on it. Yesterday was a good day, as I was sandwiched between Bobby and Curio... ooooh yeah.

Two days before, I were cacky pants. Banjo. Cow's arse. Etc.
Actually you start with some of the best guns of the game. There's not a lot of choice as you start, but things unlock as you level up. I think it's at level 5 when you can start building your own "class" to carry which guns you like. We'll explain it. I'm a very good teacher *bends cane*
The second of the pair I found to be the hardest mission of the game. I don't think I'll try it on veteran. (Infact, I'm probably leaving veteran alone, having only done: FNG, Crew Expendable, The Coup and Aftermath on it. Three of those were remarkably easy)
The veteran run through on the TV station was one of the best/worst experiences I've had in single player gaming. Getting to the TV station was just amazing, as I dived from cover to cover, relying on my team-mates to give suppressing fire so I could reach an obstacle, followed by me popping a few damned terrorists in the face to allow the rest of the squad to catch up. Then once in the TV station, it was a nightmare, just so horrible... and yet I couldn't stop playing it.

Last time I played it on 'Veteran' I was on the SAS level where you have to search a village for a hostage type guy (I think). You can call in air support, but getting from one building to another is infuriatingly hard. Going back to it after the online game is a basatrd, as you get killed a hell of a lot quicker in the one player game!
Dimrill wrote:
I really soundly enjoyed the single player campaign, and it's another that completely changes when you bang it up to the top difficulty. I've avoided One Shot One Kill on veteren so far, as the thought of the final ferris wheel assault at that difficulty makes me feel queasy.

There's a youtube video of how to do the final bit, which involves mainly hiding and blowing up some c4s when the helicopter arrives, as far as I can tell.
It's the perks you'll miss more than the weapons.

You'll curse Martyrdom lots, until you get it. And then you'll still curse it lots.
Mr Dave wrote:
It's the perks you'll miss more than the weapons.

:this:

The perks you get later on are far more useful than the weapons. When starting, I would recommend using Juggernaut a lot, as whilst you'll get people moaning at you for being a n00b... well... you're only just starting. It does give a big advantage when running into someone, as you can take a lot more damage before you die.

Having just entered yet another Prestige Mode, I really miss the ones I unlocked, such as Martyrdom, Last Stand, Triple Frags and Claymores.
Dimrill wrote:
Like everything, I have good days and bad days on it.

:this:. Although my good days are not as good as glorious Dimrills good days. (Nor as disturbing, by all accounts)

I think it relies on finding a group of opponents who are fairly balanced. The times when they repeatedly run away with it are not fun. The times when we repeatedly run away with it do not happen.
Typically, in the last Private games we had I had that exact moment to switch to UberSheep mode and got a kill streak large enough to launch airstrikes, and helicopters. And of course it didn't count on my Challenges.

DAMN YOU, PRIVATE GAMES.

I'll most definately try and get on at about 11, and shoot some guys in the (feet) with you!
Sheepeh wrote:
Typically, in the last Private games we had I had that exact moment to switch to UberSheep mode and got a kill streak large enough to launch airstrikes, and helicopters. And of course it didn't count on my Challenges.

DAMN YOU, PRIVATE GAMES.

I'll most definately try and get on at about 11, and shoot some guys in the (feet) with you!

I've got precisely one airstrike and one helicopter in the ranked games. I've got plenty in our private games because you're all so rubbish...
I'll try and play for a little bit at 11 if I can.
is monday night CoD4 night? cool...count me in.
LaceSensor wrote:
is monday night CoD4 night?
Everynight is CoD4 night. WAR WAITS FOR NOONE.
myoptika wrote:
I've got precisely one airstrike and one helicopter in the ranked games. I've got plenty in our private games because you're all so rubbish...

I beat Myoptika with my count of 7 airstrikes and 2 helicopters in ranked games.
Curiosity is not allowed to say anything on the topic.
Mr Dave wrote:
myoptika wrote:

I beat Myoptika with my count of 7 airstrikes and 2 helicopters in ranked games.
Curiosity is not allowed to say anything on the topic.

:'(

The best moments for airstrikes are when there's a load of people capturing an outdoor site on Headquarters. The ideal location for this is on Bog.
I get the feeling I'm going to be bewildered tonight.

*scurries under Dimrills wing moob*
Hello, neighbour!
Does that make us the Mooby Brothers?

*High five*
Zardoz wrote:
I get the feeling I'm going to be bewildered tonight.

*scurries under Dimrills wing moob*

Wait until you meet Stinky Bolton! /clique
Oddly, my gun appeared to jam up on that last game. I just couldn't aim at you. I'm not sure what happened there.

;)

AND YOU STILL GOT WHUPPED.

On the bright side I got a promotion from that last game, meaning I can now Detect Explosives. Whoop-de-bloody-doo.
What, with your 20 deaths to 0 kills? And didn't we actually win? However, I would very much like to point out that Doug Sucks.

Given the amount of kills I get from my claymores, Bomb squad's not entirely useless.

Not my first choice though.
I usually see mines a mile off to be honest. Even if sometimes I see them a bit too late and have to step backwards taking a bit of a hit, I'd still *much* rather have something like Juggernaut or Stopping Power over it.

I don't have too many choices yet, unfortunately. I need to spam some public Headquarters matches, they seem to give nice XP.
Sheepeh wrote:
I don't have too many choices yet, unfortunately. I need to spam some public Headquarters matches, they seem to give nice XP.

Booooooo.
Sheepeh wrote:
I usually see mines a mile off to be honest. Even if sometimes I see them a bit too late and have to step backwards taking a bit of a hit, I'd still *much* rather have something like Juggernaut or Stopping Power over it.
Bomb Squad is in Slot 1 though, with stuff like 2xRPGs and 3xspecial grenades, which makes it a little more viable.

Mr Dave wrote:
Given the amount of kills I get from my claymores, Bomb squad's not entirely useless.
I don't think I've ever killed anyone with a claymore. I must be doing it wrong.
I get a lot of claymore kills. I find that placing them just around corners can sometimes work, but it's even better to place them around the corner and then a ltttle bit back, as otherwise people get a chance to run past them before they go off.

The other best way to get claymore kills is when sniping or camping somewhere. If you can kill a few people from a certain building, they'll mention it to each other and try to storm said building. If it has one entrance and you've stuck a couple of sneaky claymores nearby, you're going to get a kill... and if not, you're going to hear them go off and be ready for your attacker. Also, if the place has two entrances (such as the buildings in Bloc) you can claymore both entrances and snipe away safe in the knowledge that you're not going to be stabbed in the back.

It's weird how on Sunday I could get scores of 9/23 and 7/14, and then yesterday was back to getting 23/4 and 21/3... very odd (or just due to getting my red dot sights back).
Can I just ask what the need was a for Pundabaya to change sides and shoot me in the back (teamkill style) ?

A best it was a poor attempt at a funny which quickly spiralled into a TK fest.... at worst it was childish retaliation for *something?* and not really in the spirit of playing with "mates".

Also - If youve got a real issue with me using a rocket launcher just tell me- but talking about me in third person between games is pretty annoying, not that I could really make out exactly what you were mumbling.
I hadn't even noticed he'd gone until near the end. I was wondering why we were winning with Zardoz on our team :S
Get to fuck. I was awesome.

Best newcomer for sure.
I really enjoyed it last night btw. Great playing online - it's been yonks.

Might be around at the same time tonight for more.
You filthy whore.

also, Lace, I for one had no problems with the rocket launcher thing, it made it all the more sweet when I managed to pop your noggin.
Dimrill wrote:
You filthy whore.

also, Lace, I for one had no problems with the rocket launcher thing, it made it all the more sweet when I managed to pop your noggin.

Rocket Launcher RPG or Grenades fired off the side mounted thingy (noob tube)?

The latter is frustrating, but I use it for the first couople of levels when going through Prestige, just for the hell of it. The former (RPGs) I have no trouble with at all, as I find them tough to use, and it takes some skill/luck to actually nail someone with them.

I'll be around all tonight in all likelihood, as the missus is off to Ireland shortly after 6. I have a few other things I need to do, but will pop on and off with some regularity I think.

BTW - Bobby won't be playing this week as he's been sent to some town or other on work matters.
Sorry I wasn't more fun last night, but every game we played was either on a shit map (Countdown or Creek) or against grenade-happy snipe-whores.

I maintain my arguments that there is some serious bullshit seemingly programmed into this game. Martyrdom is one. The way the replays always seem to show you playing like a numpty while the other bloke quickly lined up and took a perfect headshot, while from your perspective you dropped to one knee and fired three bursts into him, hitting with each one but not killing him. The helicopters shooting you through the roof.
MetalAngel wrote:
Sorry I wasn't more fun last night, but every game we played was either on a shit map (Countdown or Creek) or against grenade-happy snipe-whores.

I maintain my arguments that there is some serious bullshit seemingly programmed into this game. Martyrdom is one. The way the replays always seem to show you playing like a numpty while the other bloke quickly lined up and took a perfect headshot, while from your perspective you dropped to one knee and fired three bursts into him, hitting with each one but not killing him. The helicopters shooting you through the roof.

Indeed. Though I'm certain that there are many times when I've killed someone and they have been raging at their computer in a similar fashion.
You were around before 11 then last night Perkies?
Shame, you missed me splash damaging all over Dimrill's back.
Zardoz wrote:
You were around before 11 then last night Perkies?
Shame, you missed me splash damaging all over Dimrill's back.

Were you playing Hardcore?

Fnar, fnar.
MetalAngel wrote:
I maintain my arguments that there is some serious bullshit seemingly programmed into this game. Martyrdom is one.
I think this is a genuine misjudgement. It's not unconquerable -- I note I had hardly any deaths from its use the other night -- but it is a nuisance, particularly when team kill is on in tight levels.

Quote:
The way the replays always seem to show you playing like a numpty while the other bloke quickly lined up and took a perfect headshot, while from your perspective you dropped to one knee and fired three bursts into him, hitting with each one but not killing him.
I dunno about this one. I think when you look back on a game you only ever recall the deaths where you were spack handed, and also, you don't know how many people (as Dr Curio just said) are just as annoyed by watching your killcam after you get them.

Quote:
The helicopters shooting you through the roof.
I've never had that in buildings. Do you mean thin steel rooves?
richardgaywood wrote:
Quote:
The helicopters shooting you through the roof.
I've never had that in buildings. Do you mean thin steel rooves?

I was thinking that. Completely fair with powerful weapons, not at all fair through concrete though.
By all means, a thin roof with gaps in it would easily be penetrated by a helicopter's chaingun.

But to be hiding miles away from the helicopter, in cover, and have it somehow spot AND kill you is damned annoying.

Also, I fired an entire clip into a bloke last night, he fired back once and knocked me into Last Stand mode. I then fired my entire pistol's clip into him (again, hitting) and he didn't die.

I often wonder (aloud) whether I'm shooting these people in the wrong part of their face, or something.
Choppers can shoot you through most things, but they normally have to see you first. It's annoying when you're lying down, even in a little tin shack, and the helicopter headshots you. Grrrr.

To be honest, I get more frustrated by airstrikes killing me when I'm in what appears to be sufficient cover. Such as downstairs in one of the buildings in Ambush.

Still, it's the same for each side. I got hti by an airstrike the other day that damaged me with all three bombs... and I survived. I didn't even have juggernaut on! I bet the guy on the other side was annoyed that it said he got three htis and kills!

I'm fine with martyrdom. It's a useful perk, but it kills me a LOT less than the kills I get with Last Stand.
How do you put these Juggernaut etc things on?
Sorry I disappeared, chaps - it's hard to say "Top game, chums - must toddle off now!" without a mic.

Also sorry I was crap.
Zardoz wrote:

When you have got past about level 5 you can 'create a class'. Then, when in the lobby, you can click on 'create a class'. You have five preset and five you can set up yourself (ostensibly one for each weapon type). You can select the various perks from in there. If you're new to the game, I highly recommend Juggernaut.
Zardoz wrote:

You have to level up a bit first. When you pop into the lobby have a look in "barracks" which'll show you your level and stats and stuff. Sooner or later you'll unlock "create a class" which allows you to put perks like juggernaut onto your custom classes. As you level up further, new perks become available. Like Matyrdom at level 17, the "shit a grenade at death" perk. Also in the barracks you'll find the "challenges" section, which show you what you can do to earn a good wodge of extra XP for doing certain things.
Page 14 of 44 [ 2199 posts ]