THE BETEO COOKBOOK
Lush Spanish Omelette first!
Mimi wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Beer can chicken is on the barbecue.

is that the same as Jamaican bacon chicken?

I believe it is a whole chicken with, essentially, an open can of beer up its ass.
Beer can = bacon in a Jamaican accent.
Also: Ass? Close ;)
Grim... wrote:
Beer can = bacon in a Jamaican accent.

:)
Milkshake:
3 heaped teaspoons chocolate Nesquik
1 teaspoon coffee granules
shot of amaretto
glug of maple syrup
1 pint of milk
mix in a glass
Drink.
More ingredients than cooking, but I've started getting a meat box delivered from the Well Hung Meat Co. First one turned up on Friday, and it's an excellent selection of interesting bits of meat - and what I've used so far has been excellent quality. They throw in free offal and bones, so I've got some calves' liver for dinner tonight and a bit pot of stock on the stove right now from the bones. They reckon they've provided a box that's suitable for 4 people for a month, but they clearly don't know me that well. I think this is probably closer to being three weeks' worth for the pair of us - and for £125 that's not bad.
Craster wrote:
More ingredients than cooking, but I've started getting a meat box delivered from the Well Hung Meat Co. First one turned up on Friday, and it's an excellent selection of interesting bits of meat - and what I've used so far has been excellent quality. They throw in free offal and bones, so I've got some calves' liver for dinner tonight and a bit pot of stock on the stove right now from the bones. They reckon they've provided a box that's suitable for 4 people for a month, but they clearly don't know me that well. I think this is probably closer to being three weeks' worth for the pair of us - and for £125 that's not bad.

Just had a look and I quite like the idea of that, but can't guarantee someone being in to get it delivered every week, and access to the flats for them to leave it might be tricky...

But I've had a search and found a good local butcher I can pop to on a weekend and get £20 of meat to last the week, so I think I'll start doing that :)
They'll leave it in a sealed coolbox, but I guess that's still tricky in flats.
Indeed, if they can get its no problem, but they can only get in if someone answers, there is no tradesman button.
If they left it outside, would it get nicked?
Quite possibly, I live right next to the college :D

I'll just go to the good organic and local sourced farm shop which is a 10 minute drive away and choose a selection each week :)
My girlfriends mum got me a marinade injector for my birthday. What should I do with it?
nickachu wrote:
My girlfriends mum got me a marinade injector for my birthday. What should I do with it?

Inject some marinade.
Bamba wrote:
nickachu wrote:

Inject some marinade.

Nudge nudge, wink wink.
nickachu wrote:
girlfriends mum... marinade... injector
Astonished this hasn't been Zardozed yet.
Surely he just hasn't noticed yet.
nickachu wrote:

Squirt 330ml of lemon juice down your winky and a pint of chicken stock up your arse.

Thanks Doc.
Don't forget to roll over every 15mins, let the juices run out, and baste yourself.
I have blueberries. I am making a steak dinner tonight, I want a blueberry based dessert. Any ideas good beex people?
Make a coulis and use it to top anything. Try a little balsamic vinegar in there to add an interesting twist. Cheesecake would be a logical suggestion.
Blueberries, in a bowl.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Make a coulis and use it to top anything. Try a little balsamic vinegar in there to add an interesting twist. Cheesecake would be a logical suggestion.

I've done cheesecake to death.

Would blueberry panacotta work?
nickachu wrote:
Would blueberry panacotta work?

Might be a weird colour if you stir them through. Could make a pannacotta and serve with a coulis on the side. Or maybe put blueberries in the bottom of the bowl and set the pannacotta on top of it.
I pickled a third jar of gherkins last night. Woohoo! Admittedly I'm not getting enough to brim the (large) jars, but they only last so long in the fridge and do need harvesting to keep the plant (which is now growing along the peak of the greenhouse!) producing.

Oh, and there are a fairly reasonable number of chillis/peppers coming through at last. Billions of tomatoes too... but none red yet. I may end up drowning in those green tomato and green pepper pickles this year, which would be no bad thing.

We've decided to stay put and convert 2/3 of the garden to kitchen garden, reserving the allotment for hardier things that only need weeding, and watering in the driest of conditions.
Make some green tomato chutney.
Make Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe.

With gerkins.
Tonight - pulled mutton and butternut squash hash. Mutton is my new favourite thing.
Huh. Mutton is the thing we decided to get out of the freezer and slow-cooker.

We'll be doing none of that squash shit though. What the fuck, dude?!
Ian got well out of control. He's now in six cup-slices in the freezer and a very wet fraction of a cup in the tub while we work our way through the extraordinarily sour spelt+smoked-malts the last loaf was made of.

Sourdough is brilliant but this particular experiment went well awry. The main mistake was believing the American website that said a room-temperature starter needded feeding 50g each of water and flour twice a day - even when it was 6 cups big, 20g of each twice a day was enough so from starting, 10g then 20g would be enough.
Aren't you supposed to feed it and then throw half of it away? Or something?
Throw half away then feed, yeah. Depends how much bread you make, whether or not you refrigerate it, how sour you want it - all sorts.

My theory was that if I underfeed it, I can use 2 cups of starter per loaf to increase the sourness.

TOO SOUR..

Helen insists I make a plain white loaf with loads of seeds and grains using commercial dried yeast this weekend. I'm mostly game to see how much of a "GOD THIS IS BLAND" face she pulls.
Don't get me started on girlfriends and bread preferences.

Honestly, if she's away for more than a day, I TREAT myself to a seeded batch loaf instead of the "50/50" or "Best of Both" compromise we usually get.

And if I'm buying a special loaf - say for soup or something - it absolutely can't have seeds inside, but seeds on the crust are permissible.
I think I conveyed the wrong message. Helen really likes heavily-seeded loaves, and did like the first few sourdough attempts.

It's just generally gone a bit* bonkers, really, and I quite agree that something needed doing. So now there are 6 cup-sized "slices" of Ian in the freezer which can hopefully be converted into reasonable bread in the future.

What's left maturing I'm going to try and turn into a fucking amazing thing though. It'll either be great or take out everyone in a mile or two radius.

* LOT.
I just wanted to get that off my chest regardless!
BBQing later. Currently making a batch of brioche burger buns to go with it.
And the rest of the mutton. Mutton 'carnitas' - pulled mutton, crisped in duck fat, then served in lettuce wraps with cheese, guac, and a quick bbq sauce.

Attachment:
IMG_7504.jpg

Yesterday's mutton was cooked for 24 hours at 64C. It was moist and delicious, but it was tricky to 'pull' because very little of the fat rendered out. Today's was cooked for 24 hours at 64C then 24 hours at 78C. It was drier but not in the least tough, and the fat had rendered and worked its way into the meat. This actually worked out quite well for frying it to crisp it up afterwards.

Summary - mutton is ace.
That looks lovel! :drool:
Good work, Cras!

Here's tonight's burger:

Cheeseburger (om nom nom edition) by PenLlawen, on Flickr

Heston Blumenthal Ultimate Burger (from Waitrose), plastic cheese (of course), homemade light brioche burger bun. Cooked on the barbecue -- check out the smoke ring!
I was trying to work out how it appeared to be less cooked on the outside!
Craster!

Lettuce?

Objection!
Decided on Steak with potatoes, red wine sauce and garlic butter

Attachment:
1p6jg.jpg

Followed by this

Attachment:
7vixf.jpg

Blueberry sponge with an icy cheesecake filling. NOM!
I'm liking your steak-potatoes ratio. And that dessert looks excellent!
I think each steak was around 350g. So not many potatoes were needed. Dessert was excellent, and surprisingly easy.
I haven't had steak for ages. That all looks very nice Nik, the dessert has made my mouth water and I'm full of cooked breakfast!
Yesterday, we discovered http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrata

It's like mozzerrella, only better. Not sure I can ever go back.
Needs more bacon.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Yesterday, we discovered http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrata

It's like mozzerrella, only better. Not sure I can ever go back.

I'm not a massive fan. Adding cream to things is rarely a bad step, but I find it makes the whole thing a bit sloppy.
I mopped the cream up with crusty bread with a little bit of olive oil and some balsamic pearls. Worked for me!
I am cooking the pulled pork that the Doc posted on facebook. 4 hours in and it smells fantastic.
The one that he posted on Facebook that I posted earlier in this thread, you mean ;)
Page 47 of 61 [ 3036 posts ]