THE BETEO COOKBOOK
Lush Spanish Omelette first!
No, wait... That doesn't sound right.
MrsA bought these ready made marinades. You open the bag, lob the meat in and leave it for a while. They're really quite good. I'm intending to wash out the bags and re-use them for my own stuff.
Caramel Pannacottas are in the fridge. Just gotta make the raspberry coulis, biscuit tuile, and the tempered chocolate. Dessert tonight is going to be good!
Just had a burger from the Meat Wagon.

Awesome. If they just left their van outside the Gherkin they'd make a bazillion dollars.
Curiosity wrote:

Awesome. If they just left their van outside the Gherkin they'd make a bazillion dollars.

You're a meat wagon
Curiosity wrote:

The gherkin goes IN the burger, fool!
Attachment:
DSC_0106.jpg

And I said what about "Breakfast at Craster's"?
She said, "I think I remember the mushrooms,
And as I recall, I think, we both kinda liked it."
And I said, "Well, that's the main thing we ate."
nickachu wrote:
Caramel Pannacottas are in the fridge. Just gotta make the raspberry coulis, biscuit tuile, and the tempered chocolate. Dessert tonight is going to be good!

Did you get any sex, then?
Leftover roast chicken! Anyone got any recipe ideas using stuff I'm likely to have in the kitchen already? I have tinned tomatoes, garlic, onions, etc, along with a few veggies in the fridge (celery, peppers, baby sweet corn, green beans). I was thinking of making some sort of tomato-based curry possibly, but that seems a bit boring.
Chicken sandwiches
Stir fry would actually be a perfect use for some of those ingredients.
Stir fried chicken sandwich? It's fusion cooking at its finest.
"Stir fry" isn't a recipe. I was hoping someone would have something that they've tried and tested, and can recommend.
I've tried stir fry. It's great.

Recipe is: Just stick it all in a hot pan with hot oil. Add some soy sauce or something.
Rissotto from the carcass, and then some pasta thing with the meat is what I usually do.
'risotto' and 'some pasta thing' are not recipes, Nickachu!
You're right, they're not! As usual, just forget it!
I think someone asking for ideas for using specific ingredients that would be perfect for a stir fry and being suggested a stir fry isn't exactly unhelpful. You don't really have a recipe for a stir fry - just put what you have into a hot pan with some oil and stir fry it :/

But you somehow take that to be a purposefully unhelpful reply. What exactly do you want? Oil temperatures? A way to stir things as you fry them?

You can whatever veg in, whatever meat. If you want to add soy sauce, seasoning, some other sauce, do so.

'Stir fry' is a perfectly reasonable response. If you don't feel comfortable making a stir fry, just say, and someone will walk you through the steps, but most people wouldn't need a 'recipe' for stir fry because they can be made with pretty much anything, and you just stir things as they fry. I'd gladly give you more pointers if your reply hadn't been so angry.
So your responses "chicken sandwich" and "stir fry" honestly weren't about you just trying to be funny?

I mean, obviously you're going to say "no". But only you know if you were genuinely trying to be helpful or not. Regardless, surely you can see how those responses could've been read as someone just taking the piss. Besides, there's nothing really wrong with that. I expect those sorts of replies from half of the people on this forum. I'm just as guilty of it myself. That's what we do here. But don't pretend you were giving me a genuine response and make out that I'm being a dick for not welcoming your reply with genuine thanks!

Quote:
But you somehow take that to be a purposefully unhelpful reply. What exactly do you want? Oil temperatures? A way to stir things as you fry them?

No, I asked for a recipe. It's quite simple. You can make it sound like I'm being unreasonable, but I don't think I am.

Any way, who cares? I'm not "angry". It's just irritating when people dish out comic responses to genuine questions. Sometimes it's funny. This time it was rubbish.
I thought it was perfectly genuine - the problem is that there's no such thing as a stir fry recipe.
Craster wrote:
I thought it was perfectly genuine - the problem is that there's no such thing as a stir fry recipe.

Maybe it was the "chicken sandwich" response that mooted it? I mean, come on. Mimi is just as capable of trolling as anyone else. It's quite incredible really. She made what I think is reasonable to take as a troll response, and I wind up looking like the bad guy because she won't admit it!

But anyway, I'm not getting into a big deal about it. If Mimi insists she was being genuine, there's nothing more to be said. As long as she realises it was perfectly understandable for me to take her reply in the way that I did.
WTB wrote:
So your responses "chicken sandwich" and "stir fry" honestly weren't about you just trying to be funny?

I mean, obviously you're going to say "no". But only you know if you were genuinely trying to be helpful or not. Regardless, surely you can see how those responses could've been read as someone just taking the piss. Besides, there's nothing really wrong with that. I expect those sorts of replies from half of the people on this forum. I'm just as guilty of it myself. That's what we do here. But don't pretend you were giving me a genuine response and make out that I'm being a dick for not welcoming your reply with genuine thanks!

Quote:

No, I asked for a recipe. It's quite simple. You can make it sound like I'm being unreasonable, but I don't think I am.

Any way, who cares? I'm not "angry". It's just irritating when people dish out comic responses to genuine questions. Sometimes it's funny. This time it was rubbish.

chicken sandwich was a semi joke, but no, I think a stir fry for some left over chicken and a few vegetables like baby corn is perfectly valid and a great use for what you had. But, whatever.

Hope you find a recipe.
Craster wrote:

:this: Which is why I just said 'stir fry' because you can put anything in, really.
WTB wrote:
Craster wrote:

Maybe it was the "chicken sandwich" response that mooted it? I mean, come on. Mimi is just as capable of trolling as anyone else. It's quite incredible really. She made what I think is reasonable to take as a troll response, and I wind up looking like the bad guy because she won't admit it!

But anyway, I'm not getting into a big deal about it. If Mimi insists she was being genuine, there's nothing more to be said. As long as she realises it was perfectly understandable for me to take her reply in the way that I did.

Chicken sandwich was a semi-joke but perfectly reasonable use for leftovers. If you wanted a full meal then stir fry was perfect. But yes, why do you bother asking, always helpful answers as always... Etc.

You keep asking questions, people give valid answers but because they are not the exact answers you wanted, you get in a strop. I didn't mean 'angry'. I was going to say 'silly' but that sounded belittling, but I couldn't quite think of the word I meant.

I still say 'stir fry' was one of the best options you might have considered.
There's a difference between "not getting the exact answers you wanted" and people just taking the piss out of you. But sweet Mimi would never do that!

Long and short of it, I think you were taking the piss. You insist you weren't, that's as far as we're going to get. :shrug:
If you think asking what to do with leftover chicken and a load of vegetables perfect for stir-frying and being suggested a stir fry is someone taking the piss out of you, then you're being a fool.

I actually thought that it was a perfect use for what you had. You moaned it wasn't an actual 'recipe' and I said that's because there wasn't an actual 'recipe' for stir fry, but if you weren't confident in just bunging it all in a pan someone would probably give a few pointers.

Wasn't taking the piss at all. I'll keep insisting it was a good use for those ingredients because it is.
I went for a chicken sandwich in the end anyway. Cheers Mimi!
That's the most common use for leftovers. I don't know what it's like to re-cook meat after its been roasted. I'd have imagined it would be a bit dry, but I know some folks use them for curries, which you say you didn't want, and stir fries. I'm not sure if you're 'thanks Mimi' was you being sarcastic after everything you said, but if it was, I'm really not fussed :)
WTB wrote:

:DD
Craster wrote:
WTB wrote:

:DD

See, going on and on about unhelpful suggestions and then agrees and does it anyway :P
I would have suggested stir fry as well and would only have added that you should add some chilli, then right at the end chuck in a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce and a tablespoon of fish sauce. Tasty!
Make stock from carcass, boil the fuck out of it with some veg and herbs. And seasoning.

Fry some fine chopped onions with butter and garlic. Add rice, reduce heat. Add splash of white wine. Slowly add stock to rice letting it absorb it before adding more. Ladel at a time. Season. Add some cheese. Serve when rice is cooked. Like 20ish mins.
For future reference I'd have suggested curry, stirfry, fried rice, soup, sandwich or salad. None of which really have a recipe as you can make them from whatever you have lying around, but if you need a recipe for a chicken sandwich here's a tried & tested one:-

Fill kettle.
Pull chicken off bones.
Switch on kettle.
Fling chicken at slice of buttered bread.
Warm teapot.
Throw on some salady crap to make it look pretty, then add more chicken & some bacon.
Throw tea leaves into teapot & pour boiling water in.
Season to taste.
Pour milk into bottom of huge mug.
Slap a second bit of bread on top of the fillings.
Pour tea into mug.
I made Chicken Molé tonight. Molé is an insanely complicated mexican sauce made out of mainly chilis, tomatoes, and chocolate, that's taken most of the day and pretty much all my cookware to prepare through various different processes.

It wasn't terribly nice.
Craster wrote:
It wasn't terribly nice.

:(
Yeah, tell me about it. I could see the point of it, it was just a bit...meh.
Craster wrote:
I made Chicken Molé tonight. Molé is an insanely complicated mexican sauce made out of mainly chilis, tomatoes, and chocolate, that's taken most of the day and pretty much all my cookware to prepare through various different processes.

It wasn't terribly nice.

I've had veggie chilli mole and thought it was amazing! I was just telling Russell about this tonight. It was very thick and had a lot if cocoa in. Very rich and warm.
WTB wrote:
No, I asked for a recipe.

You actually asked for recipe ideas. Surely pointing you in the right direction of something is idea enough and then you can narrow your search from there, that's what I thought you were after.
Made some desserts recently.

Caramel Pannacotta with raspberry coulis and biscuit tuile with white chocolate (the chocolate went wrong)

Sticky chocolate cake with almonds, didn't have any flour in it so was basically a big lump of 70% chocolate. Yum!

Profiteroles! Rather difficult to get right, messed up the dough first time and they all sank and weren't hard enough. Made an orange cream with orange chocolate sauce.
Excellent! You're a coward for not turning out the pannacotta though ;)
I didn't want to! It ended up the perfect amount of jellyness just fell apart, needed the raspberry too otherwise it would have just been sweetness overload.

This was the recipe for the pannacotta http://www.masterchef.com.au/recipes/va ... carons.htm
I want that cake!

Well done Nick, that all looks quite lovely. :)
Very nice :)

I might be just the photography, but all your food elements look like they hate each other :D
The profiteroles look pretty awesome though.
They've still got you on lock down then, Nickachu?
Trooper wrote:
all your food elements look like they hate each other :D

Working in a restaurant has taught me a few things!
Not yet. We've got a kiwi working there now so even more english!
Page 45 of 61 [ 3036 posts ]