Board game weekend & visit to the National Videogame Arcade
Nottingham, 9th-11th Mar 2018
Kern wrote:
Ooo... this is today!
Not been to Nottingham since 2002. Quite excited.
Is the The Old Trip any good, or just a trap? I tend to always disbelieve any sign saying a pub is the a town's oldest.

It's fine in the summer and it's nice to sit outside. Service is bad because they have one tiny bar and a lot of customers all crowding round.

Disappointingly it's been moved from its original location.

2002 is when I moved here. :)
Lonewolves wrote:
Kern wrote:
Ooo... this is today!
Not been to Nottingham since 2002. Quite excited.
Is the The Old Trip any good, or just a trap? I tend to always disbelieve any sign saying a pub is the a town's oldest.

It's fine in the summer and it's nice to sit outside. Service is bad because they have one tiny bar and a lot of customers all crowding round.

Disappointingly it's been moved from its original location.

2002 is when I moved here. :)

The one over the canal is good.
There's a few on the canal. My favourite is the Canalhouse.
Lonewolves wrote:

Does it have boat in it and your cross bridge?
MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Does it have boat in it and your cross bridge?

That's the one. :) Doesn't always have a boat in. Depends on who's actually moored their narrow boats there.
Kern wrote:

Is that the Jerusalem place or whatever it's called? We had a few there for my brother's stag do a few years ago and it was pretty good.
Jerusalem is the music quiz bar.
Grim... wrote:

Where was it builded?
In England's green and pleasant land.
Grim... wrote:

Natch!
Grim... wrote:

Under a Costa.
Grim... wrote:

Aye, but - assuming I'm thinking of the right one - the Old Trip that Kern is referring to has the full name of Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem :)
GazChap wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Aye, but - assuming I'm thinking of the right one - the Old Trip that Kern is referring to has the full name of Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem :)

Yes. They lose two marks on the arbitrary scoring system for the 'Ye'.
Kern wrote:
GazChap wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Yes. They lose two marks on the arbitrary scoring system for the 'Ye'.

It's fine as long as you pronounce it correctly.
Starting the weekend with some pass the controller Trackmania Turbo. Predictably, Gaz is crap.
Hmmm, new forum won't let me rotate pics.
It's like mini-cottage! Have a top time.
That's an excellent Slav squat Gaz is doing
Lonewolves wrote:

Mobile version doesn't. Main one does.
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Mobile version doesn't. Main one does.

Not for me it doesn't. It used to, but even after rotating they haven't changed.
They will be rotating, but I suspect they're being cached
Grim... wrote:
They will be rotating, but I suspect they're being cached

It used to do that a long while ago but it's been fine for ages up until just now. :shrug:

Even when I ctrl+F5 it doesn't change.
They're not being cached by your browser.

I'll get to it.
This was great fun! Thanks to everyone who attended.
Back home after an excellent weekend. Good to see everyone again.
Many thanks to Myp and Sal for organising and hosting it.

Some photos to follow once I've looked through them.
Cheers for the hospitality guys, and good to see you all again too :)
Sadly most of my photos were blurry or too shaky (the joys of shooting indoors without flash) but here's some from the ok that came out ok.
Nice! I've got some decent shots but I was waiting for rotation to be "fixed" :D
Stop taking GazChap away to play computer games and he might have time to do it.
One of the best bits was when I walked into a room with GazChap in playing SWOS on an Amiga where the exhibit label said 'Superfrog'. I said, 'hmmm, this isn't Superfrog' and he said, 'no, I worked out it's using WHDLoad and quit out to the menu.' :facepalm:
I mean, of all the games created for the Amiga, they used 'Superfrog' to show off the system? Honestly. At least it wasn't the fish-finger game.

I did have a shot of Gaz doing some hardcore Workbench action but it was a bit out of focus, and featured Workbench.

As for other systems, I could probably have played 'Duck Hunt' all day. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy it. Reluctantly handed the zapper (and my high score) over to a kid who'd spent the last few minutes standing next to me in awe and I couldn't resist his request to have a go.
Lonewolves wrote:
One of the best bits was when I walked into a room with GazChap in playing SWOS on an Amiga where the exhibit label said 'Superfrog'. I said, 'hmmm, this isn't Superfrog' and he said, 'no, I worked out it's using WHDLoad and quit out to the menu.' :facepalm:

That's pretty badass (in a nerdy way, natch.)
What was the name of that T-shirt game we played at the house?
Was it terrible? If so, it could have been Tee K.O.
Yes, that's it. I loved it. Laughed my head off throughout.
I much prefer Fibbage or Drawful to Tee K.O.

Or You Don't Know Jack, obviously.
Drawful is glorious
Cras wrote:
Drawful is glorious

:this:
Kern wrote:
Yes, that's it. I loved it. Laughed my head off throughout.

:this: :DD
Oh well, so much for an annual visit.
Right, I've fired up Drawful 2 to explore it as an option for virtual Findus Family Game Night.

Surely everyone always guesses the right answer because the clues are so much more specific than the guesses most people will ever make? Or does the game not actually play out like that, when played for real?
What the hell
Oh right, I guess it’s relevant to this last page
Ha, I didn't actually look at the thread title beyond searching for drawful and seeing the words board game.
Findus Fop wrote:
Surely everyone always guesses the right answer because the clues are so much more specific than the guesses most people will ever make? Or does the game not actually play out like that, when played for real?

People start making more specific guesses ;)
The answers are complex enough that a non-specific answers would never work. I've definitely never known that be an issue.
Cras wrote:
The answers are complex enough that a non-specific answers would never work. I've definitely never known that be an issue.

But if the answr is:

Mermaid with bad breath

And someone answers:

Hair dryer

You're always going to know, due to the taxonomy of the clues, that the former is the correct answer.
Page 3 of 4 [ 151 posts ]