Contact form / PHP
Hi Nerds!

I'm helping a mate out with a website and told him he'd be better off with a contact form rather than just his email address on the site.

Only needs a few simple fields on his site like 'Name' 'Email address' 'Type info here' and a PHP file to handle it on the server and email it to him. I'm just trying to find something that's straightforward and secure.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please x
If it's Wordpress then there's an add-in called "contact form" which'll do that.

Check me out using my internet knowledge. No need for any other replies guys and gals I've sorted it. Lock up the thread. Ta.
I've always used this CGI/Perl one and it's never let me down:

http://www.scriptarchive.com/formmail.html
Cheers, I'll take a look at that one.
Zardoz wrote:
No.

You're shit.
Get back to your gun thread, freak!
I think Jem has one she wrote/maintains
Also Jesus Christ a Perl CGI script?!
Cras wrote:
Also Jesus Christ a Perl CGI script?!

Yeah, it's great! About 20 years old but still works just fine. Last updated 8 years ago ;)
Cras wrote:

http://jemturner.co.uk/2016/jems-mail-f ... elaunched/
Fuck you Myp.

Thanks Cras!

And Jem!
Butt out, Gramps. I'm hanging out with the cool kids now.
Cras wrote:

Thanks for thinking of me dude :luv:
I've broke it.

"Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '@' in /home2/overtone/public_html/contact.php on line 4"

The @ is in the email address so I'm not sure how to get round that.
At a guess you accidentally removed the " " from around the email address but if you past that line here or send me a DM/email I'll be able to help better :)
Or it's on line 4 because they're suppressing any errors.

If there is an @ in that file (just open it with a text editor to see) then take it out.

[edit] Didn't realise we knew which one it was :)
Jem wrote:
At a guess you accidentally removed the " " from around the email address but if you past that line here or send me a DM/email I'll be able to help better :)

Thanks Jem. Can't get to it from here but I'll take a look later and see if that's the problem.
Sussed it Jem, curly fucking quotes that text edit added!

Thanks for the script!
So... Yahoo doesn't like PHP mailing scripts.

My mate only has Yahoo email accounts...

Looks like there's no quick fix for this other than get him to set up another email elsewhere.
Zardoz wrote:
So... Yahoo doesn't like PHP mailing scripts.

I can assure you it does.
Or at least I hope I does. I've sent 29,000 emails to it so far today.
*tappity tap*

17 didn't get through. That's actually really good. 14 got marked as spam, the cunts.

1,865 of them got deferred (which means they wait a bit and they deliver again), but that shouldn't be a problem you're seeing.
Grim... wrote:

Giphy "fingers crossed":
https://media.giphy.com/media/l0NwNrl4BtDD7JCx2/giphy-loop.mp4
Skrpt plz Grm...
Grim... wrote:

Damn. MeatUp Festival 2017 is gonna be a big one.
Zardoz wrote:
Skrpt plz Grm...

Could be a lot of things. The first thing I'd like to blame is your SPF records. Where's the form (you can PM me it if you need to), and who does it say it's from when it arrives?

Make sure he's putting his email address in right (obv), make sure there's nothing in his email settings that are getting rid of it, and - if you have access to your server's terminal - try taking a look at your mail logs to see if it got accepted.

You can probably do that by typing:
Code:
grep [his email address] /var/log/mail.log
Try either/both of these:
http://jemsmailform.com/help-how-to/im- ... l-account/
http://jemsmailform.com/help-how-to/im- ... l-account/

(Previous yahoo users have had success with one of those fixes but I can't remember which.)
Cheers Grim, can't get to it here to show you though.*

I'll take another look tonight if I can get chance. I've read a few things that have half sank in (authenticating the sender with SMTP gubbins and other such stuff)

I tried using a new email account from where his site is hosted and then set up forwarding to his yahoo account but still no joy. Script works fine when I tested it with my ...talktalk.net email address.

*It's Jem's script though as mentioned above.
Thanks Jem! I'll try those tonight.
Zardoz wrote:
Cheers Grim, can't get to it here to show you though.

I don't want to see it - I want to know the domain name it's hosted on and who it says it's from when the email arrives.
UPDATE:

He's made himself a gmail account.

:DD

Hopefully this will do the trick...

Thanks for hints / tips / advice (and not calling me a Belmer) so far though folks.
Also:
Grim... wrote:
I don't want to see it - I want to know the domain name it's hosted on

Title
You'll likely still need to follow the instructions on the first 'how to' link I posted.
Perl wouldn't have let you down like this.
TOO DAMN RIGHT.
Lonewolves wrote:

True Dat.

Attachment:
perl.jpg
Lonewolves wrote:

I have thousands of users who manage to get it working without issue so I don't think the language is the problem here. :DD
Jem wrote:
You'll likely still need to follow the instructions on the first 'how to' link I posted.

Thanks, Jem. Will do.
Jem wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

I have thousands of users who manage to get it working without issue so I don't think the language is the problem here. :DD

Are... are you cyber bullying me? :'(
Zardoz wrote:
Jem wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Are... are you cyber bullying me? :'(

:DD :kiss: no
Hello!

Is there an way to add attachments to the form?

Or would I be better using something else now?
Not at the minute. It's been on my todo list for about 3 years. :S

How urgently do you need it? I can plot it in for this weekend if you can wait? Will be a good kick up the butt to get some work done on it.
Can you sort out a Reply-All button for here as well? Lost count of how long that's been on my to-do list.
GazChap wrote:
Can you sort out a Reply-All button for here as well? Lost count of how long that's been on my to-do list.

Tick it off.
GazChap wrote:

You know my hourly rate, right?
I mean, I did it years ago.
Jem wrote:
Not at the minute. It's been on my todo list for about 3 years. :S

How urgently do you need it? I can plot it in for this weekend if you can wait? Will be a good kick up the butt to get some work done on it.

It's EXTREMELY URGENT!!!

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Anytime would be great, really appreciate it. I'm terrible with this stuff. :luv:
Will see what I can do :)
Page 1 of 2 [ 52 posts ]