Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is a DS2 worth it for a life long Mario fan?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 15:15 
Esoteric

Recently I have been visiting family a lot and staying with them. Mostly because my flat insulates about as well as a tea bag so is always cold and secondly because I can only handle everything for so long. They've been great, and I have been going away for about a week out of every month.

Before my wife and I split last June I could see it coming and bought a Macbook Air 11" without her knowing. I did this because at the time I was weak and I figured I would be walking away from my own flat leaving her sitting pretty. However, her actions over the next few weeks made me decide that I was going to tell her to leave. And she did, thank god.

So yeah, I gots this 11" air. It's useless for anything even gaming related. It can't even run L4D at the lowest settings, and even when it's not dropping frames like a nut case the screen is too small (especially when the spotlight bit comes on and you can't see bugger all).

I've been thinking about buying a handheld game console and first considered emulation but the sort of games I like never seem to work perfectly. Mario 64 for example the sound is stuttery and horrid on Android devices and so on. So I spotted this the other day.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Handh ... dpSrc=srch

And a couple of extra games I liked the look of (Super Mario 3D land and etc) but I realised I am so out of the loop it's not even funny. I had a DS original at launch but got bored of it because Mario DS was just M64 with extra characters and no analogue.

What I wanted to know, mainly, was is Super Mario 3D Land a proper 3D mario game? not as in 3D 3D but 3D as in like Mario 64? and by proper I mean is it a typical Mario game with lots of levels and that feeling you get from other Mario games? I could spend hours on Youtube obviously but by then I would likely ruin any potential game by seeing all of the good bits.

I did play NSMB briefly on a tablet with a Razer controller and it was fun I'll admit. The last Mario game I played properly was Sunshine and I didn't like it, but I did play Mario Galaxy at a friend's house for a week and thought it was ace. I bought a Wii briefly but had no TV and running it through a capture device was awkward..

Post subject: Re: Is a DS2 worth it for a life long Mario fan?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 15:17 
UltraMod

Get a Switch.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 15:22 
Esoteric

Too much sadly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 15:32 
Excellent Member

My nephew has a 2DS and from the short time I played it seemed like a proper 3d mario

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 15:38 
Comfortably Dumb

From the quick couple of videos I watched, it does look like a proper 3D Mario, but I don't know how big the game is in comparison. I'm not a huge fan of the 2DS though - it seems a bit pointless, especially when you can get a second hand 3DS quite cheaply instead.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 15:39 
Esoteric

Excellent. I did see it has the same feather as Mario 3, so flying looks like it could be fun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 15:42 
UltraMod

I finished 3D Land but never played 3D World so can't compare. Land was a proper 3D game but not the same scope as Sunshine/Galaxy/Odyssey obviously.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 15:59 
Esoteric

I played Sunshine for many weeks but it didn't feel right. Flying with the water back pack was cumbersome and too fiddly, IMO. I much preferred Mario 64. Then I played Galaxy and it was just like 64 to play. Nothing terribly fiddly, just some good ideas. Sunshine's levels also felt too big for me? IDK, just didn't feel right. Waverace was the same on the cube for me too. Missing the simplicity of the first one which made it so fun.

I liked how 64's worlds were big enough but not too big. I also liked how all of the stars were in the one level, which meant you could explore it properly but quickly. I think the N64 was the last console I truly loved. I adored my Jap import. Used to cover it when I was done playing and everything lol.

Edit. Sod it have ordered the NSMB2 pack with 3D land. I also forgot (and what made me buy it) that sometimes I spend 2-3 days just in bed and Netflix and Prime are only fun for so long.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 18:21 
SavyGamer

NSMB2 is solid but a fairly middle of the road modern 2D Mario. Fun and polished, and if you've not played the other games in the NSMB series it'll probably still feel fresh.

3D Land is fantastic, it's basically a big collection of three dimensional obstacle courses. Very creative, and lots of variety in the levels. One of the better 3D Mario games in my opinion.

Mario Kart 7 is also a solid Mario Kart game.

If you fancy playing some Zelda, there's a good remake of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but I'd say go for the excellent A Link Between Worlds, the direct sequel to A Link To The Past.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 18:30 
Bad Girl

JohnCoffey wrote:
I played Sunshine for many weeks but it didn't feel right. Flying with the water back pack was cumbersome and too fiddly, IMO. I much preferred Mario 64. Then I played Galaxy and it was just like 64 to play. Nothing terribly fiddly, just some good ideas. Sunshine's levels also felt too big for me? IDK, just didn't feel right. Waverace was the same on the cube for me too. Missing the simplicity of the first one which made it so fun.

64 isn’t cumbersome and fiddly? It bloody well is (when played today) - the camera made my blood boil (when I played it recently). Sunshine is a joy to play by comparison (when I played it recently).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 18:30 
Excellent Member

I really don't like modern mario 2d games. I just don't know why. It's not only because they're easy, there's something lacking that i can't pinpoint.

And the 3DS suffers from a severe lack of Castlevania. Mirror of Fate is crap, and I hate Konami for not making more games like those perfect 3 on the DS (and also Aria of Sorrow on GBA).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 18:33 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I do get confused as to which Mario is which on the 3DS. All I can tell you is that I've enjoyed them all. Well worth getting.

Also, if you're looking for a further recommendation... Get Kid Icarus. One of my top 5 games there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 18:36 
Esoteric

Satsuma wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

64 isn’t cumbersome and fiddly? It bloody well is (when played today) - the camera made my blood boil (when I played it recently). Sunshine is a joy to play by comparison (when I played it recently).

64 did suffer from some camera problems but I never had an issue with the controls or the controller at all. I just learned then when walking out onto an icy beam far above the ground it was best to do it very slowly and carefully, so that the camera twist didn't see you just walk over the edge (I think the worst map for this was the snow map). Other than that though? I loved it.

RuySan wrote:
I really don't like modern mario 2d games. I just don't know why. It's not only because they're easy, there's something lacking that i can't pinpoint.

And the 3DS suffers from a severe lack of Castlevania. Mirror of Fate is crap, and I hate Konami for not making more games like those perfect 3 on the DS (and also Aria of Sorrow on GBA).

Easy I can do. My reactions are not what they once were, probably due to six doses of anti psychotics a day.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 18:46 
Bad Girl

Getting to the top of the pyramid entrance was the worst offender of Mario 64. Fuck that game. And the boring swimming level. And that run across the planks in the swimming level. And that star that you had to reach in the cannon in the swimming level. Actually fuck the swimming level. With the pirate ship, so the pirate ship level then.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 18:54 
Participant in dramatic games

I liked mario 3d land.. nice quick bite-levels... closest comparison is 3d world on the wiiU though, while Odyssey is close to Mario 64... (and that is so much more compelling)...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 18:59 
UltraMod

Satsuma wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

Problem with Sunshine is that the camera X axis is the wrong way round for me, and there's no way to change it. Literally broke the game for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 19:41 
Esoteric

Satsuma wrote:
Getting to the top of the pyramid entrance was the worst offender of Mario 64. Fuck that game. And the boring swimming level. And that run across the planks in the swimming level. And that star that you had to reach in the cannon in the swimming level. Actually fuck the swimming level. With the pirate ship, so the pirate ship level then.

hahaha ! I loved that level. (the sand one). I just used to fly around it.

The only part of Mario 64 I really did not like was getting 100 coins on Tick Tock Clock. Mostly because only one or two of the stars allowed 100 coins, and secondly because you could spend 20 minutes gathering up coins, get into the 90s, get sweaty fingers and miss a coin and watch your dreams drop into the oblivion lmao. That was the only level I lost my cool with. And I really did.. I punched a plastered brick wall spraining my little finger. Went to the A&E, got it put in a splint.. Came home, took off splint and carried on playing :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 20:28 
SavyGamer

TheVision wrote:
I do get confused as to which Mario is which on the 3DS. All I can tell you is that I've enjoyed them all. Well worth getting.

Also, if you're looking for a further recommendation... Get Kid Icarus. One of my top 5 games there.

Controls are extremely fiddly on that one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 22:17 

It did take some time.. happy it had a left handed option

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 23:41 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

LewieP wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Controls are extremely fiddly on that one.

Only if you're weak! :metul:

Seriously, I remember reading that at the time but it soon clicked with me and didn't get in the way of a brilliant story.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 20:19 
Esoteric

Well I gots it. Amazing how far handhelds have come. Especially when the last one you owned was a DS at launch for about two weeks.

Just topping up the battery now, will give it a full on sesh when I go to bed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:37 
Can you dig it?

JohnCoffey wrote:

I liked how 64's worlds were big enough but not too big. I also liked how all of the stars were in the one level, which meant you could explore it properly but quickly. I think the N64 was the last console I truly loved.

:this: :this: :this: I feel much the same about all of those things.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:47 

@johncoffey, don't erase the macbook completely, mame works quite ok with it, and openemu is a great compilation of most emulator.. but an 8bitdo joypad for it, and you're off.. (i've got a similar macbook)

@lewieP Mario kart 7 is my least favourite moario kart game.. not really sure why, should be excellent, but the feel of MK DS seemed better (maybe a tthe time, because it was such a leap forward), and now that there is MK8DLX MK7 just seems not that good.. (do like the fact that its 150 cc is a bit harder than other recent MKs)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 13:00 
Esoteric

I'm not a huge Mariokart fan. I liked the N64 one but only because of the multiplayer. I don't think I've owned another one since.

OK so I got it set up last night and took it to bed with me. First impressions were - holy crap handhelds have come a long way ! I spent ages just messing around making Miis. I ended up playing NSMB2 for about three hours. Amazing stuff. The only thing I don't like about the console itself is that they put the headphone socket on the bottom. This means that if you are resting it against your tummy or chest it sits pissed, which was pretty annoying. Could have done with being absolutely anywhere else really. I had a go of that Tamadochi or whatever the heck they want to call it. That seemed like fun too. I made a friend with a sweary nickname and laughed a lot when she talked to me, saying "Hi I'm *very explicit word*". It then told me that if I went online with my character it would have a name changed because I used a naughty word haha.

I also didn't get any sort of headache or eye strain which was nice, because I remember putting my original DS down and feeling like I had just taken off a VR headset or something. It happened with the original Gameboy too, which was why I never bought any more apart from the DS and sold it two weeks later.

But yeah, pretty incredible stuff really. I think the next game I order will be the Mario Golf game. Always loved those, especially the original N64 one. So much fun with your mates, but a nice chilled take your time game alone. Which is the sort of stuff I am looking for. Easy, hard to put down, just relax and sit out the depression in bed sort of thing. It gets so bad that sometimes I am in bed by 7pm.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 14:28 

Great to hear you having fun... Mario golf world tour is indeed a great golf game, with some nice suprises.

What is your friend code?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 15:22 
Esoteric

No idea, I haven't looked at all of that yet :) I will take a look during tonight's session and write it down :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 0:53 
Esoteric

Put in another two hours or so last night. I think I need new glasses. It's not just the DS it seems to be everything now. I am due an eye test I must get that sorted out, because I can feel the muscles around my eyes hurting a lot and things keep going out of focus. Any way I am not very good at games any more it seems so just reached the ice level of NSMB2. Great fun though ! I bought Mario Golf World Tour from Ebay, hopefully that should arrive soon (I know I am going to play that to death). Totally forgot to look up my code, but will on my next session. Have had a migraine today, so codeine was the fix so won't play tonight as I don't want to aggravate it and get another pounding headache.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 0:24 
Esoteric

Mario Golf got. I really like it, but do miss the ability to put backspin/side on the ball for braking when pitching etc. Can't believe how good the graphics are. It's like having a Gamecube, in your hand. I thought about that earlier and thought back to when I was a kid. Munchman. Man, how things have changed. The screens have really come a long way too. Gawd, I remember back to going boss eyed playing my Lynx.

I put in a couple of hours on NSMB2 today. Just got past the first snow level. I noticed how the Koopas stop when the music goes "wah wah !" and do a little dance. Much laughter.

It's been so long since I played a Mario game tbh. Too long !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:02 

Some nice 3ds announcements.. captain toad could world really well...in 3d
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018- ... ch-and-3ds

And warioware gold!
#comment-7113969">http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018- ... nt-7113969

And luig's mansion.. (which is fun! (still have it on the GC), but think my LM needs are covered by the sequel...
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018- ... ded-to-3ds

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:41 

any new games for the holidays? did play the demo of sushi striker, which feels more like a 3ds game https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... -on-switch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:57 

Edit: eg review https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... -sheer-joy

Just bought WarioWare gold, and with some trips coming up, that's nice.. good reason to switch the 3ds back on... decided to take only one portable gaming thing on each little holiday

(gpd xd to the sensi days in Denmark, switch to diving in egypt, and now the 3ds with this to Emmen city with the kids)

Basically it's a compilation of the best games of the handheld series.. actually i forgot touched came out before twisted, even though touched was on the DS... still have my twisted for my gba micro (and wario ware was the first game i bought for my gba sp, which i later sold on)..

Like:
-The games are nicely organized, both by controls, as by theme as by character
- Lots to collect later on (it even stirred a bit of a Nez/Ness riot.. we just said 'nintendo' here btw)
- story mode is as weird as ever.

Dislike
- havent seen one micro game which really got me going yet
- For the 3DS they could have done a 3d minigame perhaps, or something else special'... (there is an amiibo mini game, but i don't have an amino reader on my 3ds)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:38 
Esoteric

I keep forgetting I have this. I put it in a drawer at my mother's house and found it the other day. Must use it more.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:33 

JohnCoffey wrote:
I keep forgetting I have this. I put it in a drawer at my mother's house and found it the other day. Must use it more.

Holiday time. Take it with you!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 13:35 
Hello Hello Hello

I just bought a 2DS XL and Wario Ware Gold from GAME. The only game I know for sure I want to play on it is Wario Ware Gold.

So a bit rich at £175, but WARIO WARE YAY!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 14:04 
Comfortably Dumb

Hearthly wrote:
I just bought a 2DS XL and Wario Ware Gold from GAME. The only game I know for sure I want to play on it is Wario Ware Gold.

So a bit rich at £175, but WARIO WARE YAY!

Ouch. I didn't realise the 2DS XL would be that expensive. Was it at least the bundle with Mario Kart 7 or something?

I never really got the appeal of the 2DS. I've got a few of the smaller version kicking around, but I prefer the 3DS.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 14:16 
Hello Hello Hello

Yes it's got Mario Kart 7 pre-installed.

I got a launch 3DS and didn't get on with the 3D at all so I'll be quite happy with the 2D one. The console was £140 which I thought was reasonable enough.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 14:21 
Esoteric

romanista wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

Holiday time. Take it with you!

Sure will. I am going on a riding holiday in October so will pack it then. It's nice and light too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 16:44 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I don't want to be 'that guy' but I've recently bought a 2DS with Mario 2 pre installed for £56.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 17:35 
Hello Hello Hello

That's the pogger one. The XL is where it's at.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 17:43 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Ah yes, correct. It is.

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]