Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Royal Mail/courier company moany moany thread
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 18:08 

For once, the delivery company is not at fault but I am.

I took a parcel in for a neighbour, but the following day they still weren't at home and as I was going away for the weekend I thought I'd be helpful and pass it on to someone else so they could still get it without delay as it looked quite urgent. No neighbours were around, so at lunchtime on Friday I placed it in their recycling box and left a note. There are no collections on that day and I couldn't find a Christmas timetable. Besides, at half-one on the Friday afternoon after Christmas if a truck was coming around it would have been and gone by now.

Well, I get home today and see a note from my neighbour saying that they had arrived home on Saturday and their recycling box was empty. I immediately went next door to apologise (which was graciously accepted) but I still feel pretty rotten that my gamble had backfired. I'd have been better off rejecting the parcel or just holding on to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 15:40 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Kern wrote:
Well, I get home today and see a note from my neighbour saying that they had arrived home on Saturday and their recycling box was empty.

Is there any possibility that they are just lying bastards?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 15:57 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Is there a possibility Kern just stole it?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 16:00 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Wandsworth Council bin men once took an entire full case of wine that had been left for me by the recycling bins by the delivery men. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 16:01 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Bobbyaro wrote:
Is there a possibility Kern just stole it?

Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 18:02 
Rude Belittler

I ordered a three pack of D'addario guitar strings that (for some reason) were shipped from America. Crossing the atlantic? No problem. Getting to the local delivery hub. No problem. Getting from hub to my house? Yodel said they delivered it, and it was signed for. I wasn't in. I checked all my neighbours. Nope.

Bearing in mind it was a three pack of strings that would easily fit through my door...

Anyway, I get a email about 6 weeks later, refunding me the cost of said guitar strings. I didn't bother to talk to Amazon. I definitely didn't ring Yodel's customer "service" people.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 20:12 
Sitting balls-back folder

Got a projector screen coming from Germany via ups, scheduled to arrive on Friday.

I want to get it dropped in the conservatory or next door which apparently needs me to sign up for My Choice but even after the normal sign up and adding an address the bloody thing insists on wanting an additional American address.

Wut.

Does anyone know how to ups?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 20:22 

I figured out that I needed to switch to the UK UPS site because obviously. But then after I signed up to the thing I couldnt associate the delivery. But then the helpline lady could do that while, somehow, signing me up a second account with the same details.

Now I have been able to tell them it's okay to leave it in the 'porch' because that's the closest option to conservatory. Better choice than Amazon, but why the hell not let me route in a place that have?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 16:34 

Awesome, after all that they ignored the instruction and will retry on Monday anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 18:49 

This may have been their best/only given my being a compete fecking eejit on my way out this morning - I locked the bloody conservatory door.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 19:07 
UltraMod

Oh yeah that happens a lot. "Leave in enclosed porch" - porch door is locked. "Leave in greenhouse" - back gate is locked. "Leave behind wheelie bins" - wheelie bins are left on road where every man and his dog walks past.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 20:48 

Very kind of you not to rip the piss.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 14:45 
UltraMod

As I mentioned in the car thread, I finally got around to selling my Clio cup spoiler on eBay for £130 to a seemingly nice gentleman in Glasgow. Special Delivery was to prove too expensive as it's a very large item so I went with Parcelforce 48h Express for £13. The post office told me it would take an extra day considering the distance, which the buyer was ok with. After the fourth day he contacted me to tell me it hadn't arrived. I checked the tracking information and it didn't work at all, so I popped down to my post office to tell them and they told me it had been collected - they get 3/4 collections a day and nothing is left overnight except what comes in after the last collection.

So I ring Parcelforce support and they tell me it's been scanned once at the post office and then nowhere anywhere else at all. I tell them it's not at the post office so they say they're going to contact the local depot and call me back. This was Friday. I messaged the buyer on eBay and while annoyed at the situation was very understanding with me. Fast forward to Tuesday and they still haven't called me back so I ring again. They ask me if I've been to the post office as the tracking says it's still there. I explain I have been there and they've shown me the parcels they have and it's not there. They put me through directly to the depot and the guy there was pretty unhelpful sounding, but he reluctantly agreed to look for it and call me back. 10 mins later I get a call back saying there's no way it could be there. However, I didn't think 10 mins looking for it was a particularly thorough job. He tells me that it could have possibly been sent to Royal Mail by mistake. I call their helpline and they tell me if they pick up anything for Parcelforce by mistake they send it automatically to them as they are sister companies.

So, I call Parcelforce again and a very bored-sounding gentleman said, 'oh well, sounds like it's lost, put a claim in on our website.' I go on the website and fill in the form, except it doesn't accept my tracking number. It's while I'm poring over the receipt I notice that the post code is slightly wrong on there, too. Anyway, I've had to refund £130 back to the buyer and now I'm waiting on a response from Parcelforce complaints department.

I wish I'd left it in the shed for another five years tbh.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 15:29 
Excellent Member

Amazon continues to dump high-value parcels on my doorstep and claim "Parcel was handed to resident."

It's not often I get things sent to my house as work have a post room so it's much easier, this time it was a £45 value, the last time it was £80

Not sure if its Amazon or the delivery guy?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 15:37 
UltraMod

asfish wrote:
Amazon continues to dump high-value parcels on my doorstep and claim "Parcel was handed to resident."

It's not often I get things sent to my house as work have a post room so it's much easier, this time it was a £45 value, the last time it was £80

It'll be the delivery guy as we're not meant to mark "Handed to Resident" if you don't actually do it.

I do that if it's safe to do so though and the customer hasn't chosen a safe place as you don't get many options - it has to go back to the depot if a neighbour isn't in.

For example, I'd leave it in a shed or greenhouse or an enclosed porch. I wouldn't just leave it on the front step in plain sight where the house opens straight up onto the pavement. But I have to mark it as Handed to Resident because that's the only option I get other than Mark Undelivered.

The way I see it is that the customer would rather have their parcel in a safe place than have to get it redelivered (and I sure as hell don't get paid enough to go back to the depot). I think 3 parcels have gone missing in the hundreds I've delivered in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 16:12 
ugvm'er at heart...

What happens if something goes missing after you have done that? Do you get in the shit, or is it shrugged off?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 16:18 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

And don't you risk the customer claiming they never got it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 17:01 
UltraMod

If it happens it gets noted on your weekly stats. If it happens enough I expect you get blacklisted from the app.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 17:48 
Excellent Member

Lonewolves wrote:
asfish wrote:

It'll be the delivery guy as we're not meant to mark "Handed to Resident" if you don't actually do it.

I do that if it's safe to do so though and the customer hasn't chosen a safe place as you don't get many options - it has to go back to the depot if a neighbour isn't in.

For example, I'd leave it in a shed or greenhouse or an enclosed porch. I wouldn't just leave it on the front step in plain sight where the house opens straight up onto the pavement. But I have to mark it as Handed to Resident because that's the only option I get other than Mark Undelivered.

The way I see it is that the customer would rather have their parcel in a safe place than have to get it redelivered (and I sure as hell don't get paid enough to go back to the depot). I think 3 parcels have gone missing in the hundreds I've delivered in total.

My front door is a fair way off the street, but you could still see a parcel. Think I'll get a safe place defined for home.

Figured it would be some pressure for the delivery guy.

They do open themselves up as I could just call and say I didn't get it and Amazon would have no proof.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 17:49 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I assume they factor in a cost of fraud, it's not like they won't have thought of it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 18:22 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
I assume they factor in a cost of fraud, it's not like they won't have thought of it

I did have something go missing a year or so ago, it wasn't a high-cost thing, (Car Window Shades) same "Parcel was handed to resident" stautus

It was a pain as we were going away the next day and wanted them for the trip

Amazon was not easy to get a refund out of, the first agent was an over-familiar knob who appeared to think that as it was handed to me on their system that it was delivered.

It took escalation before I got a refund.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:31 

For convenience, I get stuff delivered to work, but apparently I have to reconsider this in case the package is being delivered by Hermes.
Current delivery attempts to an address on a business park include: Thursday after 5pm, Friday after 5pm, and Saturday. I'm not sure at what point they'll give up and invite me to collect from somewhere or just send it back, but they're going to try again today apparently. Who knows, maybe we'll be open late on a Monday?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:20 
UltraMod

Hermes are dipshits then. Anything marked for business premises should say 9-5 only on them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:24 

I resisted the urge to sarcastically clap the delivery driver when he finally arrived this morning.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Lonewolves wrote:
Hermes are dipshits then. Anything marked for business premises should say 9-5 only on them.

How would they know? If I order something from Amazon I don't have the option to tell them that what I'm ordering is going to a business address.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Aren't you choosing a weekend delivery slot specifically there? And there's nothing about times.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You can uncheck them to say "don't deliver at weekends". It's the best Amazon can do.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 13:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying. Saying Hermes are dipshits when it's highly unlikely that Hermes were ever given timing information or told that it's a business address is silly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 14:10 

I would go with:
1) The company name in the address
2) The words "business park" in the address
3) The fact that it was a business the first three times they tried to deliver it.

Amazon manages to label up deliveries to this address as commercial, so they can work it out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 14:13 
UltraMod

Yep. If I got stuff for businesses on evening shifts by mistake I'd hand them back saying it was utterly pointless (and no way was I returning to the depot).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 14:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

But are you relying entirely on someone reading and interpreting the address by eye for each parcel for that? Seems incredibly error-prone.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 16:02 

I would have a guess that there are postal databases that contain that information.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 16:04 

In fact, phone books (for people that remember them) used to be split into business and residential.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 16:13 
Unpossible!

Pfff... as if *old* people can remember stuff!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 16:34 
ugvm'er at heart...

Joans wrote:
I would have a guess that there are postal databases that contain that information.

When you guess, you make a G out of U and ESS... or something like that.

The PAF (postcode address file) from the post office, which is the source of truth for the address lookup services out there, has a specific field for organisation name that applies to business addresses, so if your result has that, it is a business.

However, that'll be the retailer who gets that result. They will then munge it however they choose to, and just send the address to the delivery company. For the delivery company to work out if it is a business address or not, they will have to do another lookup using the post code they have been sent. They could do that, but each lookup costs something. I'd doubt if any do a confirmation checkup like that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 16:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

And, of course, some business are open all weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 16:59 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

And a nightclub wouldn't be open during the week for the same hours as an office.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 17:06 
ugvm'er at heart...

And lots of home businesses would have someone in to take a parcel in the evening, even if the parcel was addressed to their business and not them.

Although the idea of someone refusing delivery and telling the driver to come back during business hours tomorrow, as their work day has finished, amuses me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 17:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Trooper wrote:
And lots of home businesses would have someone in to take a parcel in the evening, even if the parcel was addressed to their business and not them.

Although the idea of someone refusing delivery and telling the driver to come back during business hours tomorrow, as their work day has finished, amuses me.

I was at a charity dinner once, heavily shitfaced. As part of the event they handed out copies of a boardless Scrabble game called 'Bananagram'. In the instruction leaflet was a 'Bananagram Hotline' for any rules questions. Being shitfaced, I called it. At 1am.

The silly fuckers had only put their home phone number in the leaflet. I had a very tired, irritated lady asking me to call back during business hours.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 18:01 

Fucking Yodel.

"sorry we missed you"

you didn't

"we left a card"

no you didn't. Useless tossers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 18:42 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:
Trooper wrote:

I was at a charity dinner once, heavily shitfaced. As part of the event they handed out copies of a boardless Scrabble game called 'Bananagram'. In the instruction leaflet was a 'Bananagram Hotline' for any rules questions. Being shitfaced, I called it. At 1am.

The silly fuckers had only put their home phone number in the leaflet. I had a very tired, irritated lady asking me to call back during business hours.

I fucking hate bananagram. W loves it. She was also amazed that my family cheat at scrabble and make up words. She goes to get the dictionary so loses precious time. Stupid game.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 18:53 

No. You say it's cheating; I say it's your limited vocabulary.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 19:14 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Well if it makes you feel better I got the inventor out of bed at 1am then.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 19:28 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:
Well if it makes you feel better I got the inventor out of bed at 1am then.

Not all heroes wear carapnikchas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 18:27 
Paws for thought

I think Myp has started working the South London shift...

On Tuesday, laptop started corrupting the screen. (it already wasn't in the best of health, but I need it quite reliable for a gig on this coming Friday. On Thursday, it's out for delivery, and then the tracking status changes to "could not deliver" due to being damaged in transit.
Amazon don't contact me in any way, only finding out about this from checking the website.
As mentioned, I rather need it, so order it again (for £50 more... Great) for delivery on Saturday.

On Saturday, despite me being in for delivery, its delivered to a neighbour. Except it isn't. The neighbour specified doesn't have any idea about a package. Plus, there's no feasible way that a delivery driver who'd been anywhere in the vicinity of my home would've thought that the address he gave as the place delivered to was a suitable address to deliver it to.

So one phone call later, I'm promised some follow up in 48 hours at the very maximum. 50 hours later... Nothing.

Bloody "Lonewolves"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 18:46 
UltraMod

You should get someone reputable like Royal Mail to deliver your items.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 23:14 

We had that damage/refund/no notification thing the it day as well. Very odd, you'd think they'd just scramble another.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 14:01 

My neighbours are super strange.

The other week I got caught up with a hospital appointment that was running late, and a delivery came whilst Russell and I were out. The delivery chap took the parcel to our neighbour and asked if they'd take it in. They did, but afterwards told Russell to make sure that they do NOT ever take our parcels to their address as they aren't always in. I honestly don't know how to stop Royal Mail from asking them, but where possible I have been leaving a delivery note to say if we are out to specifically NOT take it to that one neighbour. It's a bit crappy as an attitude as not only do we take in far more parcels for them than they ever have for us (I have no problem with that) but also their kid in the middle of the night when he turns up and neither of them come home to let him in so he has to ring to get let in, so he's come into our flat to keep warm.

Anyway, parcels. So, yes, I far more regularly than the other way around take in parcels. Just now the postman came with a parcel. I can hear him ringing their buzzer (sounds different to all the others) and the footsteps to the front door, then back again. Buzzer, back to the front door, then back again. Their second buzzer (legacy of the old system)... Eventually, he gives up and rings my buzzer. I let him in. As he comes to my door I can hear the flat above open their door. The postman does too and says, cheerfully and loudly 'oh they are in!' and starts making his way up the stairs. They close the door before he gets there. So he rings the bell of their flat. Over, and over. Nothing. So he comes back down and asks if I will take the parcel in. Sure. They won't take in anything for me, but sure. He says he'll put the 'while you are out' card in their box.

They've just gone down the stairs and straight back up. I assume to check the post.

Let's now see if they ever come to collect this and how they act.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 14:27 
Noob as of 6/8/10

If they buzz you, just open your letter box to peep out, but don't open the door and don't respond if they say anything. Then close your letter box v e r y s l o w l y and tip toe away from the door.

Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next