Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2615 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: DIY? GTFO!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 17:29 
Unpossible!

MAKE SURE THE POWER'S OFF!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 19:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

TheVision wrote:
The element has gone on my oven. Last time this happened, I paid a man £60 odd to fix it. This time, I've ordered the element for £31 and I'm going to do it myself.

Join me tomorrow for the thrilling conclusion of this epic tale.

Buy some spade connectors.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 19:55 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Shouldn't the element already have those attached? I don't think the man that fixed it last time needed any but nevertheless, I shall investigate when the element turns up tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 20:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

No, the oven will have them attached, but they're often thin and rubbish and break.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 20:21 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Ah right. Gotcha! There's a hardware shop just round the corner from me so I will have a look tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:24 
sneering elitist

If I wanted to re-seal the bath, how long do I need to leave the water in?

Got the man coming tomorrow at 2:30 to take pics of the house. If I removed and re-sealed tonight would I be able to empty the bath before his arrival tomorrow?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 13:11 
Sitting balls-back folder

24 hours, used to be.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 13:21 
Excellent Painter

You can get faster curing sealant. I tend to use CT1 rather than silicone nowadays. It's more expensive, but much easier to work with than silicone and cures much faster. Get yourself some wonder wipes as well; they're excellent at getting sealant off your hands.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 13:33 
Sitting balls-back folder

Good to know! Our bath seems to have been caulked or grouted rather than siliconed, and it's relentlessly flaking out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 13:56 
Excellent Painter

BikNorton wrote:
Good to know! Our bath seems to have been caulked or grouted rather than siliconed, and it's relentlessly flaking out.

CT1 is amazing stuff. It’s actually an adhesive first, but works much better than silicone as a sealant and will even cure underwater. It’s a damned impressive adhesive as well — I’ve successfully stuck a ceramic hand basin to a tiled wall. It’s that kind of impressive.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 14:21 
sneering elitist

Thanks for the tips - much appreciated :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 15:17 

DBSnappa wrote:
will even cure underwater.

What fucking witchcraft is this

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 15:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DBSnappa wrote:
Get yourself some wonder wipes as well; they're excellent at getting sealant off your hands.

Or wear gloves
https://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Aid-Esse ... 073FGYHH7/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 15:38 
Excellent Painter

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
will even cure underwater.

What fucking witchcraft is this

I know. I use loads of the stuff, mainly as an adhesive, but have used it many times to seal fittings in bathrooms, glue up aqua panels, etc. It's a proper game changer and is incredibly useful. I had to remove a bottle trap on one of our sinks (as they're shit and block very easily) and the new p trap was 6mm narrower in diameter so I needed a gasket to insert it into the waste pipe in the wall. Could I get a step down rubber gasket from any of the nearby hardware stores. Nope. I used CT1. 4 hours later I had a watertight seal which was hidden behind a fascia ring.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 16:31 

Snapman! Is there anything you can’t do?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 17:16 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

He can never experience this thing you humans call "love".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 17:16 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

No, wait, my mistake, that's someone else.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 17:17 
Unpossible!

He could never live like common people. Never do whatever common people do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 17:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'm fairly certain he can't stop the rock.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 18:19 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

TheVision wrote:
The element has gone on my oven. Last time this happened, I paid a man £60 odd to fix it. This time, I've ordered the element for £31 and I'm going to do it myself.

Join me tomorrow for the thrilling conclusion of this epic tale.

The oven is fixed! The new element looks better than the old one anyway so maybe the guy who fitted it used the Mad Catz equivalent element? Who knows.

I had a tiny issue with the screws but nothing that couldn't be fixed with my drawer of assorted screws from the garage. I'm pleased with that. Saved myself £60ish.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 18:24 

Think of all the crisps you can buy with that £60.

You don’t even need an oven to eat crisps. Sell it, and use the proceeds to buy pies, con people out of mo ru using stunt pies and buy more crisps.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 18:41 
Excellent Painter

When I was redecorating the sitting room late last year I noticed what looked for all the world like rising damp on an internal wall, which appeared mysteriously post decorating. I initially thought we'd accidentally pierced a radiator pipe screwing in the skirting, but on investigation and removal of all the blown render there was no pipe to be seen and the wall was solid brick anyway. I treated the wall with damp rods and left it to dry out over Christmas. During that period, more evidence of damp appeared around the front door and in the downstairs shower room, all affected areas close to one another. I thought "shit" we've got a leak somewhere in the water main, somewhere near the front of the house and it's likely to be buried in concrete somewhere.

Yesterday, I did some poking around all the exposed pipework I could find and finally removed the panelling at the back of the toilet in the downstairs shower room — it has a concealed cistern. Lo and behold, the tarbeck valve on the loo was blown and every time you flushed the loo, the valve pissed water all over the floor, which had been seeping through the cement and climbing up the walls when it reached them. I put new flooring down when I renovated the sitting room last year, which was glued down on top of the vinyl/marmoleum/lino floor that was already down throughout the ground floor, so the water was seeping under this to the walls and then rising up. Fortunately, other than some slight cosmetic damage to a couple of walls near the loo, there doesn't appear to be any lasting damage.

I fixed the toilet today, which fortunately had an isolation valve on the feed pipe so I didn't have to switch the water off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 18:43 

Mimi wrote:

DBSnappa wrote:
When I was redecorating the sitting room late last year I noticed what looked for all the world like rising damp on an internal wall, which appeared mysteriously post decorating. I initially thought we'd accidentally pierced a radiator pipe screwing in the skirting, but on investigation and removal of all the blown render there was no pipe to be seen and the wall was solid brick anyway. I treated the wall with damp rods and left it to dry out over Christmas. During that period, more evidence of damp appeared around the front door and in the downstairs shower room, all affected areas close to one another. I thought "shit" we've got a leak somewhere in the water main, somewhere near the front of the house and it's likely to be buried in concrete somewhere.

Yesterday, I did some poking around all the exposed pipework I could find and finally removed the panelling at the back of the toilet in the downstairs shower room — it has a concealed cistern. Lo and behold, the tarbeck valve on the loo was blown and every time you flushed the loo, the valve pissed water all over the floor, which had been seeping through the cement and climbing up the walls when it reached them. I put new flooring down when I renovated the sitting room last year, which was glued down on top of the vinyl/marmoleum/lino floor that was already down throughout the ground floor, so the water was seeping under this to the walls and then rising up. Fortunately, other than some slight cosmetic damage to a couple of walls near the loo, there doesn't appear to be any lasting damage.

I fixed the toilet today, which fortunately had an isolation valve on the feed pipe so I didn't have to switch the water off.

That’s a no, then?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 18:46 

I thought this was going to be like when I thought there was damp in the bedroom of our old place in Whitley Bay, until I realised it was the lamp and window making a shadow where a clock would stand. It was only after a couple of weeks I noticed the damp patch moved ever so slightly over the course of the day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 19:01 
Excellent Painter

Mimi wrote:
Mimi wrote:

DBSnappa wrote:

That’s a no, then?

There are plenty of things I can't do :) But most DIY stuff, property maintenance I can do and if I don't know quite how, I do research. Very little of it is that difficult. Some things are proper crafts, such as plastering, and I'll always get a pro' in if it's anything bigger than a patching job. I'll also defer to friends who are qualified in plumbing or electrickery if the job is complicated/dangerous, but domestically that covers only two things, like putting a new boiler in or wiring up new consumer units. You also need to be certificated to do this work. The rest I can do.

I play no musical instruments, I speak no other languages, I can't fly a plane or a helicopter, I can't sing... there's more, but I suspect you didn't want a list ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 19:03 

Actually, a comprehensive list is great. It’ll help us all feel a bit better about ourselves.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 19:07 
Excellent Painter

Mimi wrote:
I thought this was going to be like when I thought there was damp in the bedroom of our old place in Whitley Bay, until I realised it was the lamp and window making a shadow where a clock would stand. It was only after a couple of weeks I noticed the damp patch moved ever so slightly over the course of the day.

Heh. I deal with a lot of people who mistake condensation for damp. Don't think I've ever had to deal with a shadow being mistaken for damp. I've become a bloody expert at differentiating between the two, largely to do with our house being built in the 50s, having no cavity wall and being semi-detached. Humidity in most houses is much higher than it should be and it does cause problems if it goes unchecked, including health issues due to mold spores

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 19:11 
Excellent Painter

Mimi wrote:
Actually, a comprehensive list is great. It’ll help us all feel a bit better about ourselves.

You're a great mum and a great knitter and a very warm hearted lovely person. Two of those I can't do and one of them isn't my place to say, but I suspect even my close friends would never call me "warm" hearted ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 19:17 

DBSnappa wrote:
I suspect even my close friends would never call me "warm" hearted ;)

Oh, you have your moments.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 20:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Fucking plastering, man. At some point during plastering school you're taught the secret of slop that will stay firm on your hawk, turn to warm butter on a trowel and then glue itself to the wall like fucking epoxy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 20:06 
Best
Board Mother

How's your games room coming on?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 20:06 
Best
Board Mother

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:

:this: :) :luv:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 20:08 
Excellent Painter

Grim... wrote:
Fucking plastering, man. At some point during plastering school you're taught the secret of slop that will stay firm on your hawk and then turn to warm butter on a trowel and then glue itself to the wall like fucking epoxy.

Like I said, it's a proper craft and really fucking hard to do well. Or at least, it requires a lot of training.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 20:08 
Excellent Painter

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:

:this: :) :luv:

Steady on! It's not even my birthday until tomorrow!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 20:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DBSnappa wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Fucking plastering, man. At some point during plastering school you're taught the secret of slop that will stay firm on your hawk and then turn to warm butter on a trowel and then glue itself to the wall like fucking epoxy.

Like I said, it's a proper craft and really fucking hard to do well. Or at least, it requires a lot of training.

No, there's a secret.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 20:15 
Excellent Painter

Grim... wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
Grim... wrote:

No, there's a secret.

Which is?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 20:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I don't know, they tell you at plastering school.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 20:20 
Prince of Fops

Grim... wrote:

Not exactly true. You can also lip read Bill Murray whispering it to Scarlett Johansson in Lost in Translation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 20:22 
Unpossible!

Findus Fop wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Not exactly true. You can also lip read Bill Murray whispering it to Scarlett Johansson in Lost in Translation.

"Jizz in the mix"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 21:40 
chewbacca -future arc welder

I do most of my It myself but plastering is one of the very few things I've vowed never to do again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 21:40 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Because I don't know "the secret"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Right?! The slop is either like water or sand - there's no in-between.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:28 
Best
Board Mother

Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Grim... Have you got me on ignore? :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Grim... Have you got me on ignore? :(

Yes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The games room progress has somewhat stalled, due to my wife not wanting to JUST GET ON AND SELL HER CHAIRS FFS but I did move a cupboard and put up some bias lighting.

Attachment:
2018-01-06 11.39.23.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

(I didn't leave the PS4 out, either)

Attachment:
2018-01-06 11.44.42.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:15 
Unpossible!

Giphy "nice!":
https://media1.giphy.com/media/pCO5tKdP22RC8/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:25 
Excellent Painter

Very nice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:38 
Unpossible!

I put some usb powered LEDs behind my TV for a similar effect. Looks good man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:39 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I like it. Lighting first, consoles second. Good work.

I have some lights that I think I need to make better use of. You've just given me some inspiration.

Reply to topic  [ 2615 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 53  Next