Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 924 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: PSVR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 21:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Wait, is Beginning Hour VR compatible now?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 21:58 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:
From that list, absolutely definitely grab the CoD thing and The Playroom for Robot Rescue as they're both great fun. In terms of full games with demos I couldn't find at that time, get Statik as it's very cool.

Also I absolutely fucking adored Bound in VR; though it seems I was kind of alone in that.

I will seek out all of these, thank you very muchly.

I might even try and finish Bound in VR too since 2D left me cold.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 22:01 
Excellent Member

Satsuma wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Sat: Get the Kitchen "game".

The RE7 thing? But it's a pish 'experience', especially compared to the Beginning Hour demo.

I’ve got Resi 7 - is this one of the DLCs? I doubt I can be bothered to play the campaign again but if the DLC stuff is good in VR I might see how much the season pass is.

To clarify: all of the main RE7 game and it's DLC is playable in VR with no extra cost. What I think Grim is talking about is a very short standalone VR thing for RE 7 called something like The Kitchen which was was made for VR but that I wasn't that impressed with. Its right there for free on the PSN store so check it out. You should certainly check out the full RE7 game in VR just to see it though. I understand that you wouldn't want to play the full game through again but it's an incredibly well done VR version so worth seeing even if only for a few minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 22:02 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:

Um, it always was; wasn't it? I picked it up specifically because of its VR compatibility and have never played out with VR. It's been my go-to 'look at how awesome VR can be' thing from the day I bought the kit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 22:04 
Excellent Member

Satsuma wrote:
Bamba wrote:
From that list, absolutely definitely grab the CoD thing and The Playroom for Robot Rescue as they're both great fun. In terms of full games with demos I couldn't find at that time, get Statik as it's very cool.

Also I absolutely fucking adored Bound in VR; though it seems I was kind of alone in that.

I will seek out all of these, thank you very muchly.

I might even try and finish Bound in VR too since 2D left me cold.

Bound isn't a great game as a base experience, but I found the VR implementation honestly transformative. I'll be curious to see what you think.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 22:10 
Excellent Member

Fucking hell, this thread has been such a boring fucking monologue at times. Sorry folks, I'll shut the fuck up now. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 22:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Um, it always was; wasn't it?

It was not. It is now. I am pleased.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 22:53 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Everyone I’ve put in IEYTD has managed the telekinesis controls, but I agree they are clunky on PSVR. (They’re far better on PC, where you drag on the controller’s glide pad.)

On Vive maybe. They're not that great on Rift.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 15:21 
INFINITE POWAH

Oh my god Superhot was a good recommendation. Thank you Gaywood. I've spent about two hours on it and feel like I've had a calisthenics work out.

Two questions - does it autosave? I've quit out and I'm hoping I haven't lost progress, but couldn't see any menus or anything I could access.

Second, how do you throw straight? That's the one bit I've been struggling with. It could do with a shooting range or something to practice in.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 15:45 

Yes, it saves each time it says “Super. Hot. Super. Hot”, between each linked sequence of levels.

Throwing straight is hard. Try “pushing”, moving your hand in a straight line. Don’t put an arc on it.

Re: callisthenics, I’m told you look like you’re doing tai chi when you’re playing it!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 17:04 
Paws for thought

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Yes, it saves each time it says “Super. Hot. Super. Hot”, between each linked sequence of levels.

Throwing straight is hard. Try “pushing”, moving your hand in a straight line. Don’t put an arc on it.

Re: callisthenics, I’m told you look like you’re doing tai chi when you’re playing it!

Kern didn't. He looked like a hamster.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 17:50 
Unpossible!

Ooh, can I share the pic again? Of course I can...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 17:51 
Unpossible!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 18:46 

This months PSVR PS+ game is Starblood Arena. It’s a fast moving (think Unreal or Quake) tournament shooter in zero-gee environments with free movement (think Descent) with head-based aiming.

If you think you have your VR legs, it might prove you wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 23:10 

DavPaz wrote:

Aw, in the pic on the left Kern looks like a baby T-Rex with really long arms!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 23:53 

Rawr!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 0:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The perils of thinking "hey, this is a pretty sweet opening lap, maybe I should share it".

A good advert for VR racing, though - the car is all over the road but as you can see I'm always looking at where the track is going.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:47 
EvilTrousers

I am doubleplus ungood at Dirt Rally in VR so would have ditched it much earlier in that lap. I've not really gone back to it as I've been obsessed with Superhot VR, about which...

Yes I absolutely agree with the previous statements on here that it's pretty much a must have but that *fucking* camera at times. My hands shoot away into the distance and then I can't pluck a gun out of the hands of someone an inch in front of me and then I have to restart a level that involves dodging 20 bullets with no weapons. About 50 times.

It's dead frustrating because when it works it's an expression of everything I want in VR. "Hey I would like to grab that, I CAN!. Can I get that gun that's fallen on the floor behind me? I CAN! Can I hide behind this console, peek out & fire from the side like a shootout in Police Squad? SURE THING!" followed by "Can I throw this at someone? NO! But you can throw it in their general direction. Possibly, I would just duck and punch them in the balls again if I were you"

The concept is superb, the execution let down by the hardware somewhat, but overall it's the game that has really utlilised the medium best of those that I have tried so far.

EDIT - Oh and the lack of a level select until you've finished it is twattery of the highest order.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 17:59 
Bad Girl

Superhot. Move controllers.

MIND. BLOWN.

Best thing I’ve ever played. Just... Jesus. VR is fucking AWESOME.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 17:59 
Bad Girl

Got an accidental trophy “Too cool to look”. I laughed so hard I died. In VR.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 19:18 
UltraMod

Remember when you came to my house, played all the wrong games and said VR was rubbish? Funny eh.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 19:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Why did you let him play the wrong games?

I bought my PSVR into the office today. Everyone really liked it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 19:38 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:

I wasn't in the house at the time. I can't remember why.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 20:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Were you in a stream?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 20:19 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Were you in a stream?

Not at that particular moment!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 20:55 
Bad Girl

Lonewolves wrote:
Remember when you came to my house, played all the wrong games and said VR was rubbish? Funny eh.

I played iRacing (cars. Meh), that platforming game (loved this), Elite Dangerous (couldn’t fathom it) and that walking simulator space planet game (freaked me out when I walked into the sea - which was great - but it was a bit slow and boring and VR had clearly been retrofitted to an existing game). I can’t ever remember saying VR was rubbish though. I thought I said it was ace and was quite excited about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 22:14 

Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Was that when me and you went to the shops?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 0:05 
UltraMod

Joans wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Quite possibly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:34 
INFINITE POWAH

Trousers wrote:
I am doubleplus ungood at Dirt Rally in VR so would have ditched it much earlier in that lap. I've not really gone back to it as I've been obsessed with Superhot VR, about which...

Yes I absolutely agree with the previous statements on here that it's pretty much a must have but that *fucking* camera at times. My hands shoot away into the distance and then I can't pluck a gun out of the hands of someone an inch in front of me and then I have to restart a level that involves dodging 20 bullets with no weapons. About 50 times.

I can't say I've had that. Iv'e had a couple of instances where the camera has glitched out a bit, but not frequently. I found putting the camera a bit higher up and switching the lights off made an improvement. Reading the instructions for the PSVR probably helps.

Quote:
It's dead frustrating because when it works it's an expression of everything I want in VR. "Hey I would like to grab that, I CAN!. Can I get that gun that's fallen on the floor behind me? I CAN! Can I hide behind this console, peek out & fire from the side like a shootout in Police Squad? SURE THING!" followed by

It's quite, quite brilliant. Punching someone in the face, grabbing their knife out of the air, then simultaneously punching the next guy in the face and stabbing the other one is a thing of joy. I was skeptical about the hand to hand stuff but, mostly, it works really well.

Quote:
"Can I throw this at someone? NO! But you can throw it in their general direction. Possibly, I would just duck and punch them in the balls again if I were you"

As per gaywood's response, I think there's a knack to throwing stuff, in that you don't throw it, you push it. I seem to be improving.

Quote:
EDIT - Oh and the lack of a level select until you've finished it is twattery of the highest order.

I'm sort of ok with that. I quite like that this is a progression through the game, it sort of lends itself to the immersion. THAT SAID, I would still like a training room/tutorial option.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:11 

Lonewolves wrote:
Joans wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Quite possibly.

Good times.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:55 
EvilTrousers

MrChris wrote:
Trousers wrote:

I can't say I've had that. Iv'e had a couple of instances where the camera has glitched out a bit, but not frequently. I found putting the camera a bit higher up and switching the lights off made an improvement. Reading the instructions for the PSVR probably helps.

I'm not reading one manual.

Also I tend to play it with the other half in the room currently, so shrouding her in darkness would compound her ire with me after falling on her on numerous occasions whilst dodging bullets.

I think part of the problem is my height coupled with gibbon like arms which means I move out of range quite easily.

Not for the first time I wish I was more Gaywood.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:42 
UltraMod

Joans wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Joans wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Quite possibly.

Good times.

Some of the very best

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 15:57 
EvilTrousers

Oh and also because there's no way I wasn't going to try it I bought SuperStardust VR.

The VR only mode is shite, makes you ill and looks like it's from 1992.

The normal mode is just like normal mode only it's all in 3DVR-o-vision which I thought would be distracting but is actually most excellent. Asteroids fly past your head prior to impact and the whole thing has more substance to it as a result of the additional depth. It somehow seems a bit easier, like you have a wider FOV in this version but I don't have the old PS3 version to check it against.

Dying is suprisingly awesome, a load of particle effects smash into your face and shit you up a bit. So far my experiencing of losing lives in VR feels much more dramatic and impactful than normal play in games, i.e. turning to my right and then getting a face full of shotgun shells in SuperhotVR has made me do all manner of squeally noises.

Back to SSVR. I really like it and the VR does makes a difference but if you're not a fan of the original game then it's definitely not worth the cash. Following on from that, however, if you're not a fan of the original game then I no longer wish to interact with you.

Finally, playing a Shmup in VR made me miss Rev Owen yet again - I bet he would have lots to say about it, only more eloquently.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 17:01 
Bad Girl

I’m playing some Super Hot Super Hot Super Hot.

That fall off the building some come with some kind of warning!

I’ve still never experienced anything quite as exhilarating as this. I nicked a gun off a guy and pointed the gun right at his forehead before pulling the trigger. It was freaking amazing.

Then I stepped outside an elevator. In VR. When I could have stayed inside but the 3D space just allowed me to nip outside and grab a shotgun to blow some red guy’s legs off. Jesus, it felt great.

There’s a couple of tracking issues here and there and throwing stuff is unnecessarily cumbersome for some reason but they never detract from what is an astonishing experience.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 19:33 
Unpossible!

Seen these?

https://www.bionikgaming.com/products/mantis

Apparently they fit on my Lenovo too. Spendy though

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 19:43 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
Seen these?

If only there were a headset that came with headphones built in...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 19:47 
Unpossible!

Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Seen these?

If only there were a headset that came with headphones built in...

The Vive Pro?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 19:55 
UltraMod

Does it? I've not really paid it much attention.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 13:09 
EvilTrousers

I have started playing Resi 7 in VR mode.

I'm not fully sure I can get through it - just wandering around an empty house with spooky noises creeps me the fuck out in VR, let alone when bad stuff starts happening with (spoilers) zombies (/spoilers). My heart feels like it's going to explode in my chest at times, the feeling of immersion is matched only by the nausea of having full 360 degree movement rather than turning in 15 degree chunks.

I'm only managing 30 minute sessions max and I am creeping round extremely slowly with a sense of complete dread rather than charging on to the next puzzle/encounter so I reckon I will be finished by February 2020.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 13:43 

Yeah, I've not gone back to it yet. I'm over the nausea thing but I'm still a complete wuss when it comes to that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 13:45 
Hibernating Druid

You fuckers.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 14:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trousers wrote:
the feeling of immersion is matched only by the nausea of having full 360 degree movement rather than turning in 15 degree chunks.

You can turn 15 degree chunks on in the menu.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 15:04 
EvilTrousers

Grim... wrote:
Trousers wrote:
the feeling of immersion is matched only by the nausea of having full 360 degree movement rather than turning in 15 degree chunks.

You can turn 15 degree chunks on in the menu.

It defaults to that in the tutorial, but it just felt unnatural so I went for full vomit central mode which does get better after the initial sensations.

The first real action scene made me think

1) FUCK FUCK FUCK SHIT FUCK FUCK NO SHIT FUCK
2) 15 degree turning intervals would have fucked me up even worse than I already was.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 15:20 
Paws for thought

Have you played non vr resi 7?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 15:22 
EvilTrousers

Mr Dave wrote:
Have you played non vr resi 7?

Nope - went straight for the VR one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 15:23 
INFINITE POWAH

Is it better than resi2?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 16:14 
Bad Girl

Played Kitchen.

If that’s any indicator as to what it’s like playing Resi 7 in VR for 5 minutes then there’s no way I’d be able to get through a 8 hour campaign. And I reckon I’m fairly immune to jump scare games but in VR? I almost noped out. I know it’s not real but when some nutcase is playing peekaboo and poking a knife at your eye it’s hard not to start whincing and panicking.

Terrifying shit.

Shit, I’m going to have to give Resi 7 a go after all just to see what I’m missing. Bloody VR, stop being awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 16:17 
Bad Girl

Oh god, I’m going to have to get my mum to have a go on Kitchen. She’d literally shit her knickers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 16:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The cleverest bit of Kitchen for me was

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
looking down and seeing your hands in your lap ziptied together. And they're in the exact right position because of course you're holding a controller. Brrr.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 16:54 
Excellent Member

Kitchen is bollocks, play the proper demo if you want to see what it's like in VR because, well, it's a proper demo.

Reply to topic  [ 924 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next