Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 133  Next
 Post subject: Re: Google Android
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 22:13 
Hello Hello Hello

MaliA wrote:
My S7 edge reset itself three times and then powered down. Hard resets do not work. Balls.

Oh right it's not just me then.... My S7 first did that about three months ago (that I was aware of), and it's been doing it every couple of weeks since. (Again, that I'm aware of, it could well be doing it far more often but I'm just not aware of it.)

It basically shits itself for about half an hour with multiple resets (albeit never turns itself off), and then works normally for 2-3 weeks until it does it again.

Since I'm on 24/7 on-call one week in four it's clearly not acceptable if my phone is in a 'totally fucked' state at random intervals, so I've offered up a second mobile number as a 'backup' on-call number for me.

I've had it with Samsung, straight over to a Google phone when my contract is up, I'm sick of them fucking around with my phone with their shit updates, moving stuff around, and pushy USE OUR CLOUD crap and all the rest of it.

Pixel 2 next, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 22:15 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I like tall screens. Most everything I do on my phone is a long page of content I scroll (Twitter, FB, beex, Kindle, web pages, etc etc) so a taller screen gives me more content without making the phone too wide to be comfortably grasped. I watch very little video on my phone and vertically letterboxing it slightly doesn't bother me at all.

The S8 and Note 8's fingerprint scanner is some grade A bullshit though.

I don't have anything against a tall screen as a thing in itself, but having this annoying extra and ugly 'would you like to scale your app' UI thing going on is horrible and by definition it's one of the first things you see when you set the phone up and start opening apps which doesn't make for a good initial experience.

I also stupidly decided to try and follow some steps posted online to allow me to disable the fucking dedicated hardware Bixby button. I had to actually sign into a Samsung account just to do this (which I stupidly did) somehow I'm getting loads of updates to stuff I don't care about. Just to be allowed to switch off something else I don't care about! That's sort of on me though, I should've bloody known better.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 22:17 
Unpossible!

I hadn't really considered the benefits of tall screen for scrolling content. I can see the advantages of that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 22:19 
Excellent Member

In fairness, my N6 went through a phase of doing exactly that where it would randomly reboot at least once a day for months. I ended up turning off the encryption so it would just boot directly to a working state and thus not have any actual impact but until I did that I did miss messages and calls because it was sitting waiting for s fucking pin without me knowing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 22:21 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
I also stupidly decided to try and follow some steps posted online to allow me to disable the fucking dedicated hardware Bixby button. I had to actually sign into a Samsung account just to do this (which I stupidly did) somehow I'm getting loads of updates to stuff I don't care about. Just to be allowed to switch off something else I don't care about! That's sort of on me though, I should've bloody known better.

It's toss.

The chap I refer to below has 'learned to live with' his S8, which isn't exactly a shining endorsement for a £600 fucking phone.

Attachment:
fucksamsungo.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 22:52 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
It's toss.

The chap I refer to below has 'learned to live with' his S8, which isn't exactly a shining endorsement for a £600 fucking phone.

Attachment:
fucksamsungo.JPG

No, it absolutely isn't. I was at a point where I need a new phone though and couldn't be arsed waiting for OnePlus to pull their heads out of their collective arse. £500 for the allegedly brilliant new Samsung phone (which had all the storage I needed into the bargain) seemed like a good idea.

Eh, the battery life is brilliant and no doubt it'll stay quick longer than my N6P so it'll be fine in the long run, I'm just not getting that 'awesome new phone' experience from it. :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 23:01 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:
My S7 edge reset itself three times and then powered down. Hard resets do not work. Balls.

That's exactly what happened to my S4.

Contact Samsung for warranty repair. Do you have a spare phone?

Will do. Ta. I have an S2 and can get an s5 in 8 days. No biggie, just a hassle.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:42 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
So I've had my S8 for a wee while now and my overall feeling is: meh.

It's nice and fast and all, but it should be given that it's brand new.

The lack of bezel at the side just means I'm sometimes touching the sides of it when trying to do stuff and although the curve on the sides obviously isn't as extreme as with then actual 'edge' variants it's still totally pointless and slightly irritating.

Probably the most annoying thing though is the aspect ratio; it's really tall for its width and a lot of stuff doesn't scale at all well. I tried out YouTube on it today and you can either have black borders at the sides of your videos or let it stretch and crop, which seems like the sort of thing that just shouldn't even be a choice in this day and age. When you launch certain apps they don't fill the full screen and you get a weird little notification thing asking if you want to stretch it to fill the full screen. There's even a full control panel to allow you to decide for each app how it displays, and as soon as you need something like that it should be a red flag that your designs gone a bit wrong.

The fingerprint scanner also isn't anywhere near as good as my N6P. Not only does the phone not respond as quickly, but they've placed it off-centre and directly beside the camera (which is a similar type of indent) so it's not instinctively easy to find with your finger. I genuinely can't understand that as a design decision, it seems mental.

I've no doubt I'll get used to all this and it'll stop bothering me after a while but in a lot of ways it seems like a step backwards from previous phones I've had and I'm slightly surprised at all the praise it's been getting.

My advice would be to send it back and get a different phone. I've had it for a while and the annoyances are still there, but for me they're pretty minor. I still press the curved edges by accident and the fingerprint scanner is stupid.

I don't mind the aspect ratio though, and after a while that irritating message goes away (or I selected something in options to make it stop).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:23 
Excellent Member

Lonewolves wrote:
My advice would be to send it back and get a different phone.

This is perfectly sensible advice but I'm not going to take it as I'm an idiot.

More fairly to myself, I'm not aware of anything else that's as good/better for the same money (unless I twiddle my thumbs until OnePlus start selling their next phone which I don't really want to do).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:43 
UltraMod

Just to spend £750 on something you don't really like all that much is a shame.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:54 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm not going to be impressed until someone spends a grand on an iPhone X and decides they don't really like it. That would be worthy of admiration.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:03 
Excellent Member

Lonewolves wrote:

That would be a shame, but thankfully I only spent £500. ;) The fact that I got it for a decent price is a massive part of why I picked it up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:14 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Why not get a 1+5? They're perfectly good phones.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:26 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
Why not get a 1+5? They're perfectly good phones.

I heard they were sold out with no more coming.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You heard wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:49 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

That would be a shame, but thankfully I only spent £500. ;) The fact that I got it for a decent price is a massive part of why I picked it up.

Oh that is a decent price. Still half a grand for something you are indifferent towards at best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:56 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
You heard wrong.

No, he basically heard right. The OnePlus 5 is pretty much out of stock globally, and certainly on their UK site, with the single exception of O2 who may or may not have locked the PAYG phone (I can't be arsed dicking around finding out) and even if they haven't, I'm not going to buy that model if they're about to release an upgrade. This is all because they're shortly to announce the 5T but I want a new phone now not at some unspecified time in the future. I've mentioned OnePlus in all my recent posts for exactly this reason.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

"Fuck your fake news, it's out of stock I tell you!" :D

Your reasoning falls apart somewhat if you consider that the new 5T phone will almost certainly be better than your current Samsung one, too.

Super helpful info: I have an O2 PAYG 1+5. It is not locked.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 13:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I have an O2 PAYG 1+5. It is not locked. I walked into an O2 shop and bought it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 13:26 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Your reasoning falls apart somewhat if you consider that the new 5T phone will almost certainly be better than your current Samsung one, too.

Will it though? The chipset will almost certainly be the same; it looks likely to have more RAM but I'm not convinced that'll make a difference day to day; Samsung's at the top of their game in terms of the quality of the screen and camera and there's a possibility of losing the headphone socket which would be a deal-breaker for me. Oh, and maybe no water-proofing either. The OnePlus phones are excellent devices for the money but they do make compromises so I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that a newly released minor iteration will actually leapfrog a full-fat flagship phone released a few months before.

Ultimately neither of us can say much for sure here because it's not actually been announced, which is rather the main problem.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 13:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I reckon it probably will be better - it'll certainly have a more sensible screen size, and even if they keep the camera the same it's already as good as the one on the S8*. They are keeping the headphone socket (they tweeted about it just last night). But it might cost more, I guess.

TheMy 1+5 is waterproof, by the way. They don't say it is for some reason, but I dropped mine into the bath about a week after I got it and it was fine ;)

* https://www.dxomark.com/samsung-galaxy- ... potential/
https://www.dxomark.com/oneplus-5-revie ... s-shooter/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 13:36 

Grim... wrote:
The 1+5 is waterproof, by the way. They don't say it is for some reason, but I dropped mine into the bath about a week after I got it and it was fine ;)

There's a world of difference between "might survive an accidental dip if you're lucky" and "hey, you said my phone was waterproof and it was damaged by water, gimme another." OnePlus is firmly on one side of that equation. Consider how much confidence OnePlus have in its waterproofing if they're not willing to sell it as waterproof.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 13:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Oh, fo sho. After it happened I was confused so had a hunt around and quite a lot of people have done the same thing (some on purpose).

But, I shall retract my statement.

My 1+5 is waterproof, by the way.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 14:10 

Grim... wrote:
They are keeping the headphone socket (they tweeted about it just last night).

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/the- ... ck.671594/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:11 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:

That's exactly what happened to my S4.

Contact Samsung for warranty repair. Do you have a spare phone?

I'm tot take it into the shop and they'll have a look. Hopefully, the smashed rear glass won't color their opinion that it's a "phone bricked2 issue as it ran quite happily for months and months with the damaged rear.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:57 
SavyGamer

My new phone, the Xiaomi Mi A1, just arrived. It's very nice.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:40 
Hello Hello Hello

Good review, man.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:46 
SavyGamer

It's really thin and light but feels very solid. It's got a big screen, it charges quite quickly but drains very slowly. It's got stock android on it. Camera seems good, it's got a speaker that is pretty loud without much distortion.

Finger print scanner is very quick, but I've not decided if I want to routinely use it yet.

Biggest thing that will take a bit of time to get used to is that it's swapped the multitasking and back button around compared to other phones I've used.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:27 
Excellent Member

LewieP wrote:
Biggest thing that will take a bit of time to get used to is that it's swapped the multitasking and back button around compared to other phones I've used.

That's one thing I can say in favour of the S8: you're finally allowed you to swap those back to what they should be after years of idiocy on Samsung's part. I mean I suppose it's not technically a positive, it's just a negative that no longer exists.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:34 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I think the back button on the right would drive me insane

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Just turn your phone upside down.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:42 
Unpossible!

Cras wrote:

It does. Every time I have to use MrsPaz's Galaxy S7 my brain takes a good few minutes to adjust.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:16 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:

Yeah, it's awful. After years of Nexii use I had a loan of my mate's S7 while my N6P was in the hospital for a few weeks and I just never got used to it at all. I'm not even sure why Samsung chose to reverse it in the first place. Or did Google reverse it at some point and Samsung just chose not to follow suit? Hmmm...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Looks like it used to be on the right.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:31 
Unpossible!

Aww, look at that little thing. How far we've come!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:34 
Hello Hello Hello

My buttons switched sides when I went from he N5 to the S7, but I don't remember it as being any sort of problem, insofar as I can't remember it at all. Obviously I had to get used to the new setup but it must have been a non-issue.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:00 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:

Looks like it used to be on the right.

Huh, oh yeah. From doing a little digging I've got a feeling that they were first switched around on the Nexus One; which predates even the original Galaxy S so Samsung have been clinging onto this layout from a point even after it was ditched by Google.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
Aww, look at that little thing. How far we've come!

Lost the (fucking awesome) physical keyboard, though :(

Man, I loved that thing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:20 
Unpossible!

I never had one with a physical keyboard. I was going to get a G1 when it first launched, but that swinging mechanism felt a bit ropey to my hands, so I got am HTC Desire instead.

Since then I've had...

Galaxy S2
Galaxy S4
Moto G (Original)
Nexus 5X
Moto G4
Google Pixel 2

Huh, I thought I'd had more than that

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:24 

Why would anyone put a "back" button on the right hand side of anything? (unless it's in a RTL country, obviously)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:26 
Prince of Fops

DavPaz wrote:
I never had one with a physical keyboard. I was going to get a G1 when it first launched, but that swinging mechanism felt a bit ropey to my hands, so I got am HTC Desire instead.

Since then I've had...

Galaxy S2
Galaxy S4
Moto G (Original)
Nexus 5X
Moto G4
Google Pixel 2

That's quite a lot of phones, isn't it? Since 2011 I've had:

iPhone 4
iPhone 5
Samsung S7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:31 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I remember someone at work having "A Google Phone" back in the day. I liked the keyboard and did it have a little trackball in the middle? I seem to remember that being pretty cool too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:33 
Unpossible!

Findus Fop wrote:

iPhone 4
iPhone 5
Samsung S7

Well, I got the Desire in 2011 so it's basically one a year since then.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:35 
Paws for thought

Findus Fop wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Since then I've had...

Galaxy S2
Galaxy S4
Moto G (Original)
Nexus 5X
Moto G4
Google Pixel 2

iPhone 4
iPhone 5
Samsung S7

Presumably on some kind of upgradey contract, more upgrades will happen.

As it stands, I've had a Samsung galaxy S, a nexus 4 and a nexus 5x.

In the meantime, my father's had a whole host of budget Samsungs on PAYG. I think spending more than me all told. A bit of a false economy, that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:43 
Unpossible!

Also, I basically gave up on S4 as it wouldn't stop restarting, even after being 'repaired' by samsung. So the Moto G was a holdover phone.

Pretty much the same with the Nexus and the G4 :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 13:40 
SavyGamer

Let's see what phones have I had.

I had a Nokia N95 then a 5800 before I got an android phone.

Then it was an HTC Desire, HTC One m7, Nexus 5, then I dropped and smashed my Nexus 5 and went back to the HTC One m7 for a bit, and now I got my new Xiaomi Mi A1.

Edit: Feels like I might have missed something between the Desire and the One m7, but not sure what.

GazChap wrote:
Why would anyone put a "back" button on the right hand side of anything? (unless it's in a RTL country, obviously)

It's a Xiaomi phone, made for the Chinese market. So maybe that's why.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 14:02 
Prince of Fops

GazChap wrote:

Every computer keyboard I've ever used has placed the back(space) button on the right-hand-side. There's an almost equivalent logic.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 14:06 

Findus Fop wrote:
GazChap wrote:

Every computer keyboard I've ever used has placed the back(space) button on the right-hand-side. There's an almost equivalent logic.

Backspace being on the right makes sense as repeated presses move the cursor from right to left.

The back button goes back through a stack as it were though, so the logic doesn’t quite follow through.

IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 14:09 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Findus Fop wrote:
GazChap wrote:

You don't use a normal keyboard one-handed, as a rule

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 14:16 
Prince of Fops

Cras wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
GazChap wrote:

You don't use a normal keyboard one-handed, as a rule

You haven't seen me type.

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 133  Next