Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 20:55 

asfish wrote:
I can only find a photo, is there supposed to be a video?

I had a look on Google Videos and found myself on a channel of some twat who was filming himself in his living room.

He couldn't describe who Dove was or what they sold but got straight into the fact everything was racist.

I suspect that 16900 of the 17000 views he had were people like me searching for some info and context :)

I didn't think (what I saw) was offensive, not sure if there was more to follow that may have given more context?

Did read Dove had run a positive campaign for some 13 years called Real Beauty

Quote:
"Real Beauty" ads have long centred around rejecting standard, racially insular notions of beauty while vowing to feature "real women of different ages, sizes, ethnicities, hair color, type or style."

Sad thing is this will be a forgotten story by Wednesday as Trump will say something offensive or Boris maybe !

It was a short looped video. The white woman then pulls off her tshirt in the same manoeuvre to reveal a woman of colour.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 20:56 

Ah, that’s the one. Yes, I think it as just FB (possibly IG as well).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 23:23 

Zardoz wrote:
Really busy at work at the moment, so much so that they've agreed for me to work on a project at home in the evenings for overtime. Looks like this will be ongoing for some time.

Are you still at the same place I used to visit?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 0:01 
Isn't that lovely?

Mimi wrote:
asfish wrote:

I had a look on Google Videos and found myself on a channel of some twat who was filming himself in his living room.

He couldn't describe who Dove was or what they sold but got straight into the fact everything was racist.

I suspect that 16900 of the 17000 views he had were people like me searching for some info and context :)

I didn't think (what I saw) was offensive, not sure if there was more to follow that may have given more context?

Quote:
"Real Beauty" ads have long centred around rejecting standard, racially insular notions of beauty while vowing to feature "real women of different ages, sizes, ethnicities, hair color, type or style."

Sad thing is this will be a forgotten story by Wednesday as Trump will say something offensive or Boris maybe !

It was a short looped video. The white woman then pulls off her tshirt in the same manoeuvre to reveal a woman of colour.

They do apparently have form...
https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/ ... wsrc%5Etfw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:17 

Malc wrote:
Mimi wrote:
asfish wrote:

Quote:

I thought I remembered a similarly stupid decision a while back but couldn’t remember what it was. Oddly, I don’t think I’d seen that second one. The thing is, the ad is wholesome in its intention. If they’d had the women standing in a different order, it would likely have been received well. They need to take an extra step in their thinking. I don’t think there is an ounce of maliciousness in it and I think it’s a shame they’ve missed the mark in such a stupid way if it means that it undoes the actual good body positive work they’ve worked on as a brand.

I don’t know. Maybe they did think it through and thought that the white woman in the tshirt ad changing to a darker skinned woman blanaced the earlier change from dark skin to light, all beautiful. It does, really, in its best meaning form, but it can’t in a world that’s so unbalanced and growing ever more concious of that fact.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:30 
Unpossible!

There was an advert that said something along the lines of "good for you, whether you're black, yellow, brown or normal". Not Dove though.

Edit: it was fake, amusingly http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/equally.asp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:31 

Mimi wrote:
Malc wrote:
Mimi wrote:
asfish wrote:

Quote:

I thought I remembered a similarly stupid decision a while back but couldn’t remember what it was. Oddly, I don’t think I’d seen that second one. The thing is, the ad is wholesome in its intention. If they’d had the women standing in a different order, it would likely have been received well. They need to take an extra step in their thinking. I don’t think there is an ounce of maliciousness in it and I think it’s a shame they’ve missed the mark in such a stupid way if it means that it undoes the actual good body positive work they’ve worked on as a brand.

I don’t know. Maybe they did think it through and thought that the white woman in the tshirt ad changing to a darker skinned woman blanaced the earlier change from dark skin to light, all beautiful. It does, really, in its best meaning form, but it can’t in a world that’s so unbalanced and growing ever more concious of that fact.
I dunno, I think it obviously wasn't the point of the advert. But typical twitter-mob bellends, hungry for outrage with all the critical faculties of the average Daily Mail reader.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:37 
Gogmagog

As a member of a minority, it's good that the majority can discuss this. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:01 
Hibernating Druid

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Really busy at work at the moment, so much so that they've agreed for me to work on a project at home in the evenings for overtime. Looks like this will be ongoing for some time.

Are you still at the same place I used to visit?

Yes. Same place but now owned by dnata who are 100%* better to work for. Also, now we've restructured theres a high chance I'll be visiting That London fairly regularly so we'll have to sort something out if I'm down that way.

*more than that really, since the takeover I've had a nice pay rise, bumped up to Senior Designer and now on the rota to go on Fam trips (being taken out by tourist boards to see attractions and hotels round the world :metul: )

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:02 
Hibernating Druid

Were in our own studio here now too.

With a freakin' radio!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:04 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Quick, everyone phone Zardoz at 10:30 so he can't listen to pop master!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:17 
Hibernating Druid

*slides phone down keks*

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:21 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Malc wrote:
Mimi wrote:
asfish wrote:

Quote:

I dunno, I think it obviously wasn't the point of the advert. But typical twitter-mob bellends, hungry for outrage with all the critical faculties of the average Daily Mail reader.

The impact of its message is far more important than its intentions. Fuck good intentions if they harm people.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:24 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
There was an advert that said something along the lines of "good for you, whether you're black, yellow, brown or normal". Not Dove though.

Edit: it was fake, amusingly http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/equally.asp

Are you thinking of this?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:27 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

This morning I was right by my front door about to leave the house. I was just putting my shoes on when there was a knock at the door.

By the time I’d reached to put the key in the door to open it, the guy who knocked was at the end of drive about to get back in his van. He had a couple of deliveries for us and was ready to chuck them back on the passenger seat. It must have took me all of 4, maybe 5 seconds to stand up and get the key in to open the door.

It was a Hermes driver and I’d always heard that they do this sort of thing but never experienced it myself. Amazing.

He also had a tattoo on his hand that said “Dad”. I could decide whether he loved his father dearly or thought very highly of his own parenting skills.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:39 
Unpossible!

Have you never had the classic 'sneaky card through the letterbox without knocking'?

I opened the door on a guy once and it seemed like a chore for him to actually get the parcel and give it to me. Pricks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:46 
Comfortably Dumb

Aside from Hermes twice leaving parcels in my wheelie bin in my back yard, they seem to be better than they were around here. They don't half get through their staff though; by the time I get used to seeing one driver, another one has taken their place.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:49 
Hibernating Druid

Amazon Prime deliverers > Royal Mail > Hermes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yodel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:53 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

That's pretty much my thinking too although, our postman is very good so I wouldn't like to say that Amazon are better than him... Then again, Amazon do come in the evening which is much better so yeah... carry on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:55 
Excellent Member

I just get all my Amazon stuff delivered to the nearby paper shop and pick it up whenever I want; fuck getting stuff delivered to your actual house.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:01 
Unpossible!

Bamba wrote:
I just get all my Amazon stuff delivered to the nearby paper shop and pick it up whenever I want; fuck getting stuff delivered to your actual house.

This. But a pickup locker in the Coop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:05 
Excellent Member

Bamba wrote:

Work are pretty good about personal deliveries, we have a Postroom and they send you an email when stuff arrives

The only time they get a bit pushy is over Xmas, even then they just send a email around asking people to collect stuff as quickly as possible

The odd time I send stuff from Amazon home, they are pretty good always leave with one of the houses next door, that does work both ways though :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:24 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've been invited to a local school (my old school in fact) next Monday to talk about what I do.

Of course, I'm not going to talk about my job because it's rubbish... Instead I think I'm going to go in there in the angle that I'm a "Yes man" and don't like to say no to anything which has enabled me to do some fun stuff in my time.

Hopefully I can convince the kids to do the same.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:25 
Sleepyhead

Zardoz wrote:

Don't Amazon Prime use those services?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:28 
Prince of Fops

TheVision wrote:
I've been invited to a local school (my old school in fact) next Monday to talk about what I do.

Of course, I'm not going to talk about my job because it's rubbish... Instead I think I'm going to go in there in the angle that I'm a "Yes man" and don't like to say no to anything which has enabled me to do some fun stuff in my time.

That will go down well with the Stranger-Danger crowd.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:28 
Comfortably Dumb

TheVision wrote:

Pfft. Tell them you're a professional wrestler.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:31 
Hibernating Druid

Curiosity wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

Don't Amazon Prime use those services?

I'm referring to the poor sods who turn up in the evenings and Sundays.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:34 
Comfortably Dumb

Zardoz wrote:

As I have quite a few parcels delivered lately, here's my current list -

Royal Mail > UPS > DPD > Amazon Prime > Hermes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yodel

That said, DPD annoyed me yesterday. They send texts with the time window they'll be arriving in, which is normally helpful. Yesterday they missed this time then sent a follow-up text which presumably should have had the new times in but just repeated the same ones instead.. So I gave up and went out and they turned up while I was gone. Hmph.
Attachment:
Screenshot_20171010-113153.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:40 
Unpossible!

TheVision wrote:

Freelance filmmaker by day, renegade video game cataloguer by night. Full-time Dad, part time wrestler. All the time Pie Man.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:48 
Excellent Member

asfish wrote:
Work are pretty good about personal deliveries, we have a Postroom and they send you an email when stuff arrives

I can't do that in my current work unfortunately because security. Technically that was true in my last job as well but the mailroom staff cheerfully didn't give a fuck. In fact one time I got something delivered there from the US and they even paid the custom charges for me. Your tax dollars at work!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I love DPD. Being able to see the little live map of where the dude is at any time is insanely helpful. Means you can actually leave the house.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:59 
Unpossible!

Cras wrote:
I love DPD. Being able to see the little live map of where the dude is at any time is insanely helpful. Means you can actually leave the house.

Or go for a poo.

Or both!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 14:22 

Lonewolves wrote:
markg wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Malc wrote:
Mimi wrote:
asfish wrote:

Quote:

The impact of its message is far more important than its intentions. Fuck good intentions if they harm people.

No, the impact has come not from people reacting to the advert but from the small parts of it they saw on twitter which were deliberately edited so as to remove the important context, the whole point of the thing, just to rile people up. It's exactly the sort of thing the tabloid press have been doing for years and it's why we live in a world where so many people have idiotic views and vote for shite like Brexit and Donald fucking Trump.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 14:25 
Isn't that lovely?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... t-a-victim

The black actress/model from the most recent advert speaks. Looks like a lot more context was removed than even the previously linked clip

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 14:45 
Bad Girl

The racist Dove people got to her. They’re probably holding her children in a secure location with gaffertape around their mouths while she was forced to write that piece in her own blood while the barrel of a gun burns into her temple and her cat lies with smoking phosphor emerging from a crimson hole in its breast.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 15:27 
Sleepyhead

I'm sitting reminiscing about Mafia games past, and it's making me smile a lot.

From my wife's accurate "village idiots" call on Cras/Myp, through Bobby's drunken attempt to run a game, past Kern's sleepy detective, to any game where my call of "Mafia look up now" is followed by about three people shouting, "Oh my gawd!".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 15:29 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Curiosity wrote:

From my wife's accurate "village idiots" call on Cras/Myp, through Bobby's drunken attempt to run a game, past Kern's sleepy detective, to any game where my call of "Mafia look up now" is followed by about three people shouting, "Oh my gawd!".

You forgot the one where I was on the winning team despite never playing it live and not really knowing what I was doing. I believe the only factor that helped was the fact that I was sober... Despite GJ not believing me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 15:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Curiosity wrote:

Bobby the ghost was the best one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 15:52 
Unpossible!

Sitting next to Sinister Agent getting more and more frustrated and muttering about said frustrations was utterly hilarious

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 15:57 
Sleepyhead

"CONTINUE THE SWEEP!"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 20:11 

Myp forgetting he'd put a cult leader in the game leading to me trying to frantically wave at him while everyone had their eyes down.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 22:04 

Finally, some good news:

Guardian: No more platform No 2s: train toilets to stop emptying on to tracks

It was only recently I worked out what the black sheets on the tracks at Paddington were for.

Now, I wish they'd hurry up with getting rid of carriage doors that can only be opened by leaning out the window and fumbling around awkwardly in public. I still can't do it right.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:39 
Unpossible!

I took a picture of a ceiling light and posted to instagram. It's had 3 likes from tattoo artists already. Lolwhut?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:35 
Awesome
Yes

DavPaz wrote:
I took a picture of a ceiling light and posted to instagram. It's had 3 likes from tattoo artists already. Lolwhut?

What hashtags did you use?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:49 
Unpossible!

Mr Russell wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

What hashtags did you use?

Since I am #aged and #deeplyuncool, I didn't use any hashtags

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 15:26 
Comfortably Dumb

When eBay sellers don't use enough packaging...
Attachment:
IMG_20171011_152345359.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 15:27 
Unpossible!

Does it work?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 15:33 

Noooo :(

Though I equally wonder what Royal Mail were doing to smash it up so very much.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 15:34 
Paws for thought

devilman wrote:
When eBay sellers don't use enough packaging...
Attachment:
IMG_20171011_152345359.jpg

Tt least you have parts for repair now...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 15:39 
Comfortably Dumb

DavPaz wrote:
Does it work?

It probably does. I haven't had chance to fish out all the bits of broken plastic and give it a whirl.

Mimi wrote:
Noooo :(

Though I equally wonder what Royal Mail were doing to smash it up so very much.

It came via ParcelForce and there was a bit of a rattle when the delivery bloke handed it over. :) The seller has been very apologetic though and she's hoping to sort some kind of compensation. I'm not hugely concerned as the games that came with it justified the money I paid for it, but it's still a bit of a shame.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 60  Next