Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:47 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
When Alex and Rocky were chased upstairs and into the bedroom by the dog (with the blind guy following) they quickly barricaded the door with the wardrobe, and then did an appraisal of all the windows in the room, establishing that all of them had fixed bars on the outside so weren't a possible escape route. Rocky then started climbing through the air vent in the room as the door was battered down by the blind dude and the dog ran in. In the scuffle that followed Alex fell against and then out of a window and onto the kitchen roof below.

How did he fall straight through the window if all of them were barred?

Glad you enjoyed it. I wanted to see it at the cinema back when it was out but it didn't have a massive release so I never caught it and was looking forward to see it at home. Not least because Jane Levy:

Attachment:
cYQdhRK.jpg

I'm not 100% sure about this, but when you see them visually sweeping the room just after they enter the window that Rocky looks at is shown to definitely be barred but, I think, the one Alex looks at is just completely opaque with dirt so he assumed it's barred when apparently it wasn't. I think. It's still a bit of a cop-out mind.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 22:54 
Hello Hello Hello

IT FOLLOWS has arrived on Netflix so I watched it as there's been quite a lot of fuss about it.

I thought it was good, but not great, proper 7/10 territory, or rather, 704/1000 territory.

I'll spoiler my issues with it.

We never get any idea whatsoever as to what 'it' is, which apparently is supposed to be the idea but I thought it kind of sucked. Normally in these films there's an explanation of what's going on, or the protagonists visit an old lady in a house somewhere and she recalls some story or something, but it's not answered at all. Or at the very least they find a book in a chest somewhere that's got ancient pictures in it.

And the film doesn't stick to its own rules either, so for the most part the 'it' just plods slowly towards the target, but gets aggressive at close quarters, but then by the end it's strategising and throwing things because it doesn't want to get in the pool (?) but then when it's knocked in the pool it gets on fine and meh meh meh.

And why didn't she just have sex with the nerdy guy who well fancied her earlier on? That'd be a dead easy way to have a better chance of beating it as then he'd be able to see it too, rather than having to ask where it is and shooting his friends by accident instead.

Cheesy ending too. Sequel much?

It was a good film and when it was creepy, it was effectively creepy, but I had this constant nagging sense it torpedoed itself more than once and clutched 'good' from the jaws of 'great'.

703/1000 I've knocked a point off since before.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 23:20 
Comfortably Dumb

I watched that yesterday too and I had much the same gripes with it. I think I nodded off at one point so I wasn't sure why
the whole pool thing was thought to be a valid idea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 22:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Wonder Woman is pretty boring.

It's very impressive that she can stop a bullet with her wrists and such, but must we see it a thousand times?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:09 
Excellent Member

Got around to watching Alien Covenant last night.

Words fail me, the most disappointing Alien film to date and that's saying something

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:23 
SavyGamer

asfish wrote:

Words fail me, the most disappointing Alien film to date and that's saying something

Yeah it was very bad.

Felt like it could have been an interesting movie if it just focuses on the "two AI/Robots with conflicting ideologies" theme, but it shouldn't have been an Alien movie.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:54 
Excellent Member

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets is absolute dogshit; legit one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Let me list some of the ways:

• The dialogue is properly jaw-dropping in it's awfulness. Like I was honestly struggling to believe that such clunky trite bullshit had actually made it all the way to an actual cinema screen.
  • The central relationship between Valerian and Laureline flat-out doesn't work. You're supposed to believe that throughout the course of the film Valerian is winning Laureline over but there's just no evidence of that in the film and the moment that's obviously supposed to be pivotal to their relationship was just cringey to watch (and didn't make any sense given what the film had spent ages teaching you about Valerian's character).
  • Cara Delivingne flat out isn't a good enough actress to carry a part that size. I mean I genuinely like her, and her slightly oddball schtick almost worked in a couple of places, but a lot of the time she stood out as just not having the acting chops of the people surrounding her.
  • The exposition, oh God the fucking exposition. Delivered in massive bloated chunks by random characters at multiple places throughout the film because fuck story-telling right?
  • Almost everything about the film that's not covered by the above is just generally trite cliched bullshit. The opening mission section had some nice ideas but delivered in a messy confusing way that certainly didn't make the most of them.
  • The plot was just one big fucking hole and I don't have the energy to dissect it properly. But it's balls, be assured of that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:14 
Unpossible!

Ah, but it is French! C'est oddball, no?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:18 

Bamba wrote:
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets is absolute dogshit; legit one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Let me list some of the ways:

• The dialogue is properly jaw-dropping in it's awfulness. Like I was honestly struggling to believe that such clunky trite bullshit had actually made it all the way to an actual cinema screen.
  • The central relationship between Valerian and Laureline flat-out doesn't work. You're supposed to believe that throughout the course of the film Valerian is winning Laureline over but there's just no evidence of that in the film and the moment that's obviously supposed to be pivotal to their relationship was just cringey to watch (and didn't make any sense given what the film had spent ages teaching you about Valerian's character).
  • Cara Delivingne flat out isn't a good enough actress to carry a part that size. I mean I genuinely like her, and her slightly oddball schtick almost worked in a couple of places, but a lot of the time she stood out as just not having the acting chops of the people surrounding her.
  • The exposition, oh God the fucking exposition. Delivered in massive bloated chunks by random characters at multiple places throughout the film because fuck story-telling right?
  • Almost everything about the film that's not covered by the above is just generally trite cliched bullshit. The opening mission section had some nice ideas but delivered in a messy confusing way that certainly didn't make the most of them.
  • The plot was just one big fucking hole and I don't have the energy to dissect it properly. But it's balls, be assured of that.

Without a banana rating I can't work out if you like it or not.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:23 
Excellent Member

LewieP wrote:
asfish wrote:

Yeah it was very bad.

Felt like it could have been an interesting movie if it just focuses on the "two AI/Robots with conflicting ideologies" theme, but it shouldn't have been an Alien movie.

Plot was so bad, nothing of interest covered and nothing original

The film starts with yet another ship in deep space that gets a “tempting message from a planet” that causes them to deviate from their mission to investigate. Seen this a few times in the Alien franchise.

Upon arrival, the crew is attacked and thinned out by what can best be described as MK1 Aliens, smaller and grey. Then they are rescued by a mysterious character who takes them to a large building in the middle of a huge open circular area,

The circular area is covered in dead aliens and people all of which look burnt, it then transpires that the rescuer is none other than David the robot from Prometheus.
From a short flash-back we discover that after the events of Prometheus, David and Elizabeth Shaw made it to the creator’s plant which is the same place the Covenant crew have arrived on. Upon arrival David releases the pathogen and wipes out the creators and release the Aliens all over the planet.

Then we discover that David has lost the plot (again see the old mad robot issues before) and wants to stop mankind expanding into the stars, he has magically developed and changed the creator’s pathogen to produce the Aliens we know from the other films, he kills Elizabeth Shaw during the process.

Then we have the old face hugger scene which produces an Alien that gets onto the escape craft as they are leaving and is dispatched, at the same time there is a fight between David and the more up to date and nicer robot Walter. Walter makes it onto the escape craft and back to the ship.

Back on the main ship and more original scripting to enjoy, shock horror another Alien has made it on board via an infected crew member, in a stunning original move they fire it out of the airlock!

At the end, everyone is OK and Walter is putting the crew back into hibernation, just as he puts the captain to sleep she asks him some questions and realises too late that it’s not Walter but David who made it back. The film ends with David putting some Alien embryos into the ships storage that holds 100’s of human ones

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:23 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I went to see Dunkirk, what a great film.

The cinematography was great, the music was great.
It was an emotion roller coaster, i was absorbed completely.

Tom Hardy was great, mainly acting with his eyes, loved the spitfires.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:44 

KovacsC wrote:

I've heard that's not acting. He genuinely gets a bit aroused at old aircraft.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:53 
Rude Belittler

The problem with these Alien prequels (other than them not being very good) is the whole "lets explain everything about the Xenomorphs" thing. Who cares where they came from? Stop explaining shit, the unexplained is scarier and more interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:05 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Mimi wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

I've heard that's not acting. He genuinely gets a bit aroused at old aircraft.

Don't we all :P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Pundabaya wrote:
The problem with these Alien prequels (other than them not being very good) is the whole "lets explain everything about the Xenomorphs" thing. Who cares where they came from? Stop explaining shit, the unexplained is scarier and more interesting.

Also several books already explained it pretty well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:11 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:

Also several books already explained it pretty well.

Do the explanations match, or have they just fucked all the books by releasing the films?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:16 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

In a wider sense, yes. The details are different, but the general idea is the same.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 13:32 
Hello Hello Hello

Two recent watches from me on Amazon Prime.

WYRMWOOD - ROAD OF THE DEAD

I’ve seen this before but had forgotten I’d seen it before then after a couple of minutes remembered I’d seen it before. Must have been drunk the first time or something. I recalled it being very good so decided to watch it again.

It’s a smart, gory, funny Aussie zombie flick. Fairly standard genre piece in some ways but punches above its weight with some original ideas, good characters, a solid script, great gore (it’s a proper 18) and scarcely has an ounce of fat on it.

Gets it all done in 93 minutes and doesn’t pause for breath. If you like zombie films of any flavour, you’ll like this.

It did well enough for it to be commissioned as a series which will be landing later this year, apparently.

832/1000

LEGEND

Tom Hardy acts his socks off as both Reggie and Ronnie Kray. Has some good violent bits in it (hammer fight!) and Hardy’s screen presence as Ronnie is genuinely unsettling.

Obviously the Krays themselves were a pair of horrible bastards and whilst this film doesn’t fall into the trap of lionising them it’s a bit more ambivalent than I’d like, despite it portraying some of their unpleasantness very well.

Definitely worth a watch I’d say.

Hardy/1000

----------

WYRMWOOD TRAILER:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 13:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:
WYRMWOOD - ROAD OF THE DEAD

I’ve seen this before but had forgotten I’d seen it before then after a couple of minutes remembered I’d seen it before. Must have been drunk the first time or something. I recalled it being very good so decided to watch it again.

It’s a smart, gory, funny Aussie zombie flick. Fairly standard genre piece in some ways but punches above its weight with some original ideas, good characters, a solid script, great gore (it’s a proper 18) and scarcely has an ounce of fat on it.

Gets it all done in 93 minutes and doesn’t pause for breath. If you like zombie films of any flavour, you’ll like this.

It did well enough for it to be commissioned as a series which will be landing later this year, apparently.

832/1000

Huh, Craster and I watched that last night.

The TV series landed in May, I believe.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 14:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It was good!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 15:02 
EvilTrousers

Can we get Michael Owen to join this forum and specifically this thread?

Attachment:
owenonfilm.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 15:06 
Unpossible!

What a prick.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 15:18 

What a very dull man. Some people just have no imagination at all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 15:26 
EvilTrousers

Not one to lose himself in the moment is he? I bet he's a belting shag.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 23:41 
Can you dig it?

Is that Michael Owen thing genuine? Reads like a piss-take to me...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:18 
UltraMod

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Is that Michael Owen thing genuine? Reads like a piss-take to me...

It's really him but I suspect it was pitched as a not-entirely-serious article.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:08 
sneering elitist

Thought Atomic Blonde was pretty good.

I like kickass women movies, more of these please.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:25 
Prince of Fops

Jem wrote:

I'm on the hunt for empowered women.

For my 5 y/o daughter.

What's a good, not-too-violent* film with a strong female lead? Not interested in princesses, I want to show her girls can be absolutely anything they want.

*New Wonderwoman would be too violent I think.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:26 
Gogmagog

Findus Fop wrote:
Jem wrote:

For my 5 y/o daughter.

What's a good, not-too-violent* film with a strong female lead? Not interested in princesses, I want to show her girls can be absolutely anything they want.

Brave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:27 
Excellent Painter

Findus Fop wrote:
Jem wrote:

For my 5 y/o daughter.

The Powerpuff Girls

Isn't she a princess?

Gogmagog

MacBeth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:28 
Gogmagog

markg wrote:
Isn't she a princess?

Only by dint of birth.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:30 
SavyGamer

Frozen.
Labyrinth.
Matilda.
Nausicaa.

Edit: Frozen & Nausicaa both feature princesses, but the first subverts the tropes, and the second doesn't really subscribe to them at all.

Edit2: Quite a few of the Ghibli movies might fit the bill actually. Princess Mononoke (I think she's a princess), Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Kaguya (I think she's a princess too), My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:32 
Gogmagog

markg wrote:
Isn't she a princess?

Aerial, Aurora, Belle, cindetella, jasmine, merida, mulan, pocahontas, rapunzel, snow white, tiana are the disney princesses.

Anna isn't as she is a feckless enemy of the state.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:33 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Hard Candy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:33 
Gogmagog

LewieP wrote:
Frozen.
Labyrinth.
Matilda.
Nausicaa.

Edit: Frozen & Nausicaa both feature princesses, but the first subverts the tropes, and the second doesn't really subscribe to them at all.

Disagree on Frozen. All Anna wants to do is get married and this behaviour drives Elsa to have a strop and then everyone has to help Anna fix her stupid error. Stupid Anna.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:34 
Prince of Fops

Squirt wrote:
Hard Candy.

That looks perfect! She hates nonces.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:36 
Gogmagog

I hate Anna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:37 
Prince of Fops

MaliA wrote:
I hate Anna

I hate those stone trolls, presumptuous little twats.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:38 

Findus Fop wrote:

The Sound of Music

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:39 
Gogmagog

Findus Fop wrote:
MaliA wrote:
I hate Anna

I hate those stone trolls, presumptuous little twats.

They got their agent into the royal castle in the end. Helped by Anna. Stupid Anna.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:41 
Isn't that lovely?

Moana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:41 
sneering elitist

Findus Fop wrote:
Jem wrote:

For my 5 y/o daughter.

Definitely not Atomic Blonde :DD

Agree with Brave; it's a nice antidote to traditional princess movies. Moana was good too.

Other than that, I don't really know. Most of the ones I think are empowering/strong female leads are too mature for a 5y/o.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:53 
Unpossible!

Ballerina or Leap! as its sometimes called is all about the female empowerment

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:55 
Unpossible!

Ratatouille has a good strong female.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:00 
Unpossible!

The Herbie movie with Linsey Lohan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:13 
Prince of Fops

DavPaz wrote:
Ballerina or Leap! as its sometimes called is all about the female empowerment

Ooh, not heard of that one, cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:17 
Bad Girl

Man alive, just open the Studio Ghibli backcatelog and pick a film. There's some fabulous female characters and the message is always positive.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:19 
Excellent Member

Yeah, you can't go wrong with Kiki's Delivery Service. It's lovely.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325 ... 422  Next