Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1412 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 'Nay!' but 'Yay!' Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 17:19 
Excellent Member

My son came home from Nursery last week and asked me if I could take him to Legoland Windsor.

Clearly been a discussion point with his friends as he helpfully added that it wasn't far from his school or our house :DD

Looked at the price £70 on the door for 2 of us :(, then was reminded that Tesco Clubcard Vouchers are the way forward

Sacrificed £26 worth of those and we are in tomorrow! Looks really good as well I'm excited :)

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 19:42 
chewbacca -future arc welder

I've come home early because crying Mrs wookie called, Seren has been crying literally all day and now that I'm here nic has LITERALLY RUN OFF! I'm sure she'll come back... I've tried many things to calm Seren and the winner so far is deafeningly loud, up tempo remixes of techno and house. She seems to prefer dubstep if anything.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 20:00 
Unpossible!

Dawwww!

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 20:07 
INFINITE POWAH

Having kids really ages you, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 20:08 

MrChris wrote:
Having kids really ages you, doesn't it?

Yes. Immediately.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:42 

TIL that krazywookie is Jake Peralta.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:57 
Hibernating Druid

It's so important to get kids into techno at an early age.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:30 

krazywookie wrote:
I've come home early because crying Mrs wookie called, Seren has been crying literally all day and now that I'm here nic has LITERALLY RUN OFF! I'm sure she'll come back... I've tried many things to calm Seren and the winner so far is deafeningly loud, up tempo remixes of techno and house. She seems to prefer dubstep if anything.

Dawwwww! Look at the pair of you :luv:

I still sometimes run off when Russell gets home. I did yesterday. Not a bad day, apart from the wasp that stung Darwin's bum, but I was running a bubble bath practically as Russell came through the door.

I found when Darwin was crying all day that after a few days I thought he was broken and I might have to take him back to the shop as it was clearly his forever noise. Then a few days later if notice that he hasn't cried much that day, and maybe the day before. Before then would have been a blur. Some time later we'd have another few days of random crying. It happened a few months ago and was so bad I actually called the health visitor, who I hate. A couple of days later, he was fine and I'd forgotten how it felt a few days earlier.

Hopefully MrsWookie got the bit of space she needed, and that you enjoyed your cuddles. I try to think after a difficult day or week that we three in our little family unit are all doing great, because if we get through those awful days into the not so bad days then we are coping together in the tough times. Sometimes coping means handing baby to your partner for cuddles and jumping into the bath with some music playing so that you can just hear a different sound for a bit.

How are you all doing for sleep?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:42 
INFINITE POWAH

First Born had colic for several months. I'd have happily swapped him for a dog. Or, hell, a newspaper. Anything to just stop the noise. But it's always, always, just a phase, whatever it is they're doing.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:47 
Gogmagog

MrChris wrote:
First Born had colic for several months. I'd have happily swapped him for a dog. Or, hell, a newspaper. Anything to just stop the noise. But it's always, always, just a phase, whatever it is they're doing.

Now you have a dog, how do you feel?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:32 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:
MrChris wrote:

Now you have a dog, how do you feel?

I have days where I woudl swap the dog for a rug. Or turn her into one.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 13:44 

GazChap wrote:
TIL that krazywookie is Jake Peralta.

YOU'RE Jake Paralta

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 13:46 

Zardoz wrote:
It's so important to get kids into techno at an early age.

She was played edm on every car journey while mrs.W was pregnant and it always made her dance about, no idea if it was bad for her or not but we enjoyed it!

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 13:49 

Mimi wrote:
krazywookie wrote:

Dawwwww! Look at the pair of you :luv:

I still sometimes run off when Russell gets home. I did yesterday. Not a bad day, apart from the wasp that stung Darwin's bum, but I was running a bubble bath practically as Russell came through the door.

I found when Darwin was crying all day that after a few days I thought he was broken and I might have to take him back to the shop as it was clearly his forever noise. Then a few days later if notice that he hasn't cried much that day, and maybe the day before. Before then would have been a blur. Some time later we'd have another few days of random crying. It happened a few months ago and was so bad I actually called the health visitor, who I hate. A couple of days later, he was fine and I'd forgotten how it felt a few days earlier.

Hopefully MrsWookie got the bit of space she needed, and that you enjoyed your cuddles. I try to think after a difficult day or week that we three in our little family unit are all doing great, because if we get through those awful days into the not so bad days then we are coping together in the tough times. Sometimes coping means handing baby to your partner for cuddles and jumping into the bath with some music playing so that you can just hear a different sound for a bit.

How are you all doing for sleep?

Random is the operative word here, it's quite hard to remember that at times but sometimes there's 0 reasons and screaming is just the current state, nothing to be done. Certainly feels like she hates us half the time though. early days...

Mrs.W much happier today and has a friend round feeding her and talking cheerfully :)

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 13:53 

MrChris wrote:

I hope you're right! Weirdly after the marathon of screaming she went to sleep at about 9, woke up for a very short feed at 10:30 ish then we didn't hear from her until 5 this morning! first time thats ever happened, ever. Maybe I should play more GTAV with her...

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 13:59 
Paws for thought

krazywookie wrote:
Random is the operative word here, it's quite hard to remember that at times but sometimes there's 0 reasons and screaming is just the current state, nothing to be done.

It's ok, I can translate :

"Dear predators, please don't eat me"

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:19 
Excellent Member

Quote:

:this:

My first born had that and acid reflux, you could never put him in a cot to sleep, always in a sling. Then once he could sit up he was up with some trapped wind pain between 2-4am every night for 6 months.

Now though at approaching 4 he is ok through the night, in fact once asleep you can pick him up and he doesn't wake up, many of our NCT friends with kids the same age are still having massive sleep problems.

Child number 2 who is 2 weeks old, was great at first but is now blotting his copy book with a lot of waking up and crying between 1-5am. Sleeps ok in the day though which is a lot better than 1

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:38 
Comfortably Dumb

devilman wrote:
After Dad's little adventure in hospital last week, I decided I owed it to myself to look after myself a little more. To that end, I booked a dentist's appointment for the first time in years (on the form I filled in, I put 10+ years, but I really have no idea.. could be 15). Although the pain from the TMD I had has more or less gone, things didn't feel right, so I knew something was going to have to be done. I'd lost a couple of fillings last year and when they came out, they took part of the tooth with them, so I figured worse case scenario would be a couple of extractions and some fillings. Obviously not ideal, but all my own fault for neglecting things for so long.

Had the appointment this morning and my suspicions were confirmed - need two teeth out and four fillings, to be done early next month. That's the 'Nay', but the mini 'Yay' was the fact that I'm finally getting it sorted. I'm horrendous for putting stuff off and burying my head in the sand, so today was anxious, but I'm glad I went.

Had one extraction and three fillings this morning; all on the one side of the mouth. I'd love to say that with the anaesthetic and the fact the tooth was already a little bit wobbly the extraction was almost pain-free, but I'd be lying. Christ, that hurt.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:39 
Hibernating Druid

Glad you've got it sorted now.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:41 
Comfortably Dumb

Zardoz wrote:
Glad you've got it sorted now.

Nearly there. Just one more filling and a polish on Monday. I didn't realise they knock off the consultation cost from your treatment cost too so it cost less than I expected. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:43 

devilman wrote:
Had one extraction and three fillings this morning; all on the one side of the mouth. I'd love to say that with the anaesthetic and the fact the tooth was already a little bit wobbly the extraction was almost pain-free, but I'd be lying. Christ, that hurt.

Do you mean it hurt during the procedure, or after? I've had two extractions and although the second one was a bit more of a workout for my dentist than the first one was, neither of them hurt at all during the procedure, and not really after either - just a bit of a dull throb for an hour or two after.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:46 
Comfortably Dumb

GazChap wrote:
devilman wrote:

Do you mean it hurt during the procedure, or after? I've had two extractions and although the second one was a bit more of a workout for my dentist than the first one was, neither of them hurt at all during the procedure, and not really after either - just a bit of a dull throb for an hour or two after.

During. I think it was partially because the tooth was damaged and there was possibly and infection which can reduce the effect of the anaesthetic, but I felt her wrenching it from side to side and lots more pain when she finally got it free.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:48 

Weird. Top or bottom tooth? Both mine are top, wonder if that makes a difference.

The first one was one of my front teeth, which is obviously a bit thinner than a back tooth, and basically just popped out. The second one was tougher, he did need to wrench from side to side and I could feel the movement but no pain at all.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:51 
Comfortably Dumb

GazChap wrote:
Weird. Top or bottom tooth? Both mine are top, wonder if that makes a difference.

The first one was one of my front teeth, which is obviously a bit thinner than a back tooth, and basically just popped out. The second one was tougher, he did need to wrench from side to side and I could feel the movement but no pain at all.

Bottom, second from the end, so perhaps a little harder to access too.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:54 

Ouch. At least most of it's over now. Hope the recovery goes quickly.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:15 
sneering elitist

This discussion is really not helping with my ongoing toothache and crippling anxiety surrounding visiting the dentist.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:20 
Comfortably Dumb

Jem wrote:
This discussion is really not helping with my ongoing toothache and crippling anxiety surrounding visiting the dentist.

To be fair, the dentist and her assistant were both very friendly and understanding. After the extraction, the dentist was aware of the pain I'd been in and said she'd be happy to leave the fillings till next time. I just wanted to get more of it out of the way, especially as the worst bit was over with.

It was all my own fault for neglecting my teeth for so long. I'm still glad I went :)

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:30 
sneering elitist

I have utterly terrible teeth thanks to lax personal hygiene and hyperemesis pregnancies (constant vomiting destroys the enamel on your teeth) so every bloody appointment is more fillings! Extractions! Root canals! I solved this problem by not going :S

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:44 
Hibernating Druid

Go! Dentists aren't nice places to go but leaving it is worse.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:49 
Excellent Member

Currently sat in Alder Hey with the youngest boy, 3 days post op, and pretty bored. He had a Nuss Procedure. Those with stronger dispositions, please feel free to check that out on YouTube. For those of you you don't want to see that, is basically involves screwing a metal bar into their ribs to lift their sternum. Extremely, extremely painful stuff.

The good news is that it's worked an absolute treat. I was amazed and he is very happy with the result.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:58 
Unpossible!

Great news! Sorry about the boredoms​

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 13:30 

Yay: spray painted a radiator in blue, sparkly paint on Saturday, for what will become our nursery:
Attachment:
IMG_0257.jpg

Nay: since then, I've had blue, glittery snot.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 13:59 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Looks great, and congrats

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 14:01 

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 14:15 
Hibernating Druid

Heat resistant paint?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 14:22 

So it claims...

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 15:14 
Hibernating Druid

If it's not then just say it's distressed/shabby chic :)

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 16:27 

:D

(It probably will be after I've dragged the furniture in.)

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 19:20 
Excellent Member

Was invited to a meeting last week with "New Role" in the title

Part of me hoped they were paying me off, but there was no HR invited so sort of knew that wasn't the case.

Thought it would be a shit proposal, it was ok, the implementation is shit, planning to communicate the changes in 2 weeks, have no new JD, HR validation etc, but used to that so will do most of it myself.

Get a load travel to places I'm never been to (Denmark, Sweeden, Norway, Finland) also maybe the Netherlands as well.

Should be able to get a pay bump as well

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:59 
INFINITE POWAH

So, we're flying out to Singapore tonight for our week's orientation and to visit schools, and basically have a bit of a free holiday, yay! I've been seriously unwell since Wednesday with a thundering case of tonsillitis, which this morning was the worst it's been - could barely sit up let alone walk. Nay! May not be making quite as much use of the business class facilities....

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:45 
Sitting balls-back folder

Gargle soluble aspirin twice a day. I was astonished to find it actually works, and quickly.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 22:05 
UltraMod

Lost both softball games today, but pitched for the first time and didn't disgrace myself!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 0:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Do you pitch underarm in softball?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:57 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:

Slowpitch yeah. Has to be between 6ft and 12ft and "not too fast".

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:51 
Hibernating Druid

I'd imagine it would be difficult to throw a 6ft - 12ft ball fast.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:

That seems a rather vague rule.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 14:02 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:

That seems a rather vague rule.

Yep. Down to the umpire's judgement.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 18:27 

I've got a load of chilli plants which are hugely infested with aphids, but the ladybirds round here have been AT IT and there are millions of larvae to bring in.

When you buy larvae, the instructions say 1 per plant, 2 for a severe infestation - we've now got 6+ on most plants (one has 2-3 dozen after a ladybird laid on it, yeah!) and the greenfly are still winning.

For now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 13:32 

Our local library shuts down next week, and with it Darwin's playgroup. Last week someone told me of s bew plsygroup in the nursery nearby the library and we went today. The manager was enthusiastic, engaging and spent a lot of time with Darwin observing his favoured play schemas and is setting up loads of activities tailored to him next week. It was all very welcoming and positive.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 16:41 

We've put another 3 or 4 batches of 6 or more larvae on these 11 plants now (including just now), and they've been doing a sterling job but there's still never a point where we can say there's no infestation on more than 1 plant. Mental.

We have at least 3 new ladybirds and another 8 or something chrysalises(es) too.

Into a greenhouse tonight or tomorrow! We've put it up, just need to finish the floor now.

Reply to topic  [ 1412 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 29  Next