Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 133  Next
 Post subject: Re: Google Android
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 17:28 
Best
Board Mother

I noticed this, but just assumed it was something stupid that I had done! :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:32 
SavyGamer

Yep it's happening for me too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 20:19 
Excellent Member

It's kind of ridiculous it's still happening given how utterly trivial it must be to handle properly.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 17:44 
Excellent Member

I got the option of switching to the new shiny Pixel launcher on my tablet so i gave it a shot. I didn't like it much so switched back to the normal Google launcher but the icons and the 'control' buttons (the back, home and task switcher buttons) have all stayed in the new style. I'm not all that bothered but it's a weird that it's mixing and matching aspects from the two launchers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:16 
Excellent Member

So the Pixel phones apparently have a feature such that swiping up/down on the fingerprint sensor will raise/lower the notifications bar and as per version 7.1.2 that feature's been added to the Nexus 5X/6P handsets. I wasn't aware of this and it's actually quite cool so thought I'd mention it here for any other Nexus owners.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:31 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Oh yes... this reminds me. I had a play with a pixel phone the other day and yes, this feature was on there. Very clever.

It also wins the award for the hottest I've EVER felt a phone go after about 20 minutes of VR stuff. Seriously, it was difficult to hold it was that hot!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 13:51 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
It also wins the award for the hottest I've EVER felt a phone go after about 20 minutes of VR stuff. Seriously, it was difficult to hold it was that hot!

The Google Daydream stuff is pretty brutal on the C/GPU apparently; although can run it on a Nexus 6P (the precursor to the Pixel) apparently after a few minutes it just starts to die under the thermal load generated from trying to keep up so I'm not surprised it generates a lot of heat even on the Pixel.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 16:20 
EvilTrousers

TheVision wrote:
Oh yes... this reminds me. I had a play with a pixel phone the other day and yes, this feature was on there. Very clever.

The S7 gets pretty hot although it does depend on the app. Like a massive nerd I watched Netflix in full on VR mode for an hour last weekend and it only ever got mildly warm.

20 minutes playing something like Gunjack makes for a surface you could easy fry an egg on - it has flunked out and dumped me to the home screen thanks to the heat before now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:42 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Weird phone issue.

My phone keeps dropping off wifi, and when it is connected it is really slow, except immediately after switching it on.

I was d/l a podcast last night, after 30 minutes, it was 30% @2kb/s through, so I restarted, and it shot through to 80% at ~500kb/s then dropped down to 2kb/s again. a restart and it jumped back up and completed the d/l.

Websites fail to load due to timing out, and only half load, and frankly it is annoying. However, evyerthing else works on the wifi, and the phone works on 4g fine.

Anyone have a clue other than full factory reset?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:45 
Excellent Member

There's a wifi option under the Advanced section for 'Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep'; maybe try enabling that if it isn't already?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:46 
Comfortably Dumb

Bobbyaro wrote:
Weird phone issue.

My phone keeps dropping off wifi, and when it is connected it is really slow, except immediately after switching it on.

I was d/l a podcast last night, after 30 minutes, it was 30% @2kb/s through, so I restarted, and it shot through to 80% at ~500kb/s then dropped down to 2kb/s again. a restart and it jumped back up and completed the d/l.

Websites fail to load due to timing out, and only half load, and frankly it is annoying. However, evyerthing else works on the wifi, and the phone works on 4g fine.

Anyone have a clue other than full factory reset?

Does it do it on all wi-fi connections? Just to rule out a home router issue for instance

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:47 

Sadly, it is already set to 'on'. Thanks, though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 14:07 
Paws for thought

Try rebooting the router? (I've had this a fair bit with netgear/rebranded netgear stuff)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 16:08 

Good point, I shall try that. thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:26 

Beex! Recommended me a new phone!

I currently have a two year old Xperia Z2, and I'm on a sim only contract, so will be looking to buy something outright, ideally in the £300 sort of area, but maybe a bit more if necessary (research suggests I probably will be).

High points of the Z2 are battery and camera, so I've been concentrating on those areas. I've got a shortlist, but there's something niggling about most of them and I'm open to other suggestions.

Go!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:57 
Hello Hello Hello

The OnePlus 3T comes in at £399 (thanks Brexit!) and is pretty much a premium high-end smartphone for less cash than they usually cost in that bracket. (Galaxy S8 will be coming in at £689 (!!), for example.)

Other than that there's basically just a big 'mush' in the £200-£300 range so pick the colour that you like the most, or something.

Or read round-ups like this, I suppose - http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/ ... 7-3627209/

I've got a Samsung J5 '6' as my work phone which is largely the same as my S7 in day-to-day use, despite costing about a third as much.

viewtopic.php?p=946632#p946632

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I think a OnePlus 3T is going to be my next phone.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:08 
Can you dig it?

What about signing up for a 24 month contract for an iphone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:09 
Excellent Member

The Nexus 5X and 6P have the same really good camera in them so if you can source once of those they might be a shout? They should certainly be in the right price range by now, having been superceded by the Pixel phones back in September, and my 6P continues to be the best phone I've ever owned.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:11 
Unpossible!

I like the look of the new Nokia 8

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/mobile-p ... ip-android

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:12 
chewbacca -future arc welder

I'm slightly disappointed that my LG K8 can't mount apps on the SD card, it means i have limited space and generally if i want a new app i have to kill one off. Otherwise it's one of the better phones I've had. I think you're supposed to be able to root it which means apps can go on SD and also you can delete the bloat but i cant figure out how :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:12 
Unpossible!

No wait, it was Nokia 6 that I liked

https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/nokia-6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:14 
chewbacca -future arc welder

I'd have been all over an android Nokia if I'd known they existed!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
my 6P continues to be the best phone I've ever owned.

Really? Mine's deteriorating really fast. The battery life is half what it was, and it just restarts occasionally (say, once per fortnight).

It's still a great phone, but for the fucking stupendous amount it cost it really should be rock solid for at least three years.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:09 
Unpossible!

My rapidly deteriorating 5X is well documented in this thread. Shame. I really liked that phone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:14 
UltraMod

My iPhone 6 Plus barely lasted two years before the battery started dying. Premium smartphones are a fucking rip off.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:18 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Really? Mine's deteriorating really fast. The battery life is half what it was, and it just restarts occasionally (say, once per fortnight).

I haven't noticed much change in the battery life, though my use of Pokemon Go makes it difficult to know how well it should be managing. I haven't noticed it spontaneously restarting either, though I can't imagine I'd give a shit if it only happened once every two weeks.

Grim... wrote:
It's still a great phone, but for the fucking stupendous amount it cost it really should be rock solid for at least three years.

You and I apparently have different standard for 'fucking stupendous amount'; £550 for a 64GB model is slightly less than I paid for my two previous phones I believe.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:25 
Can you dig it?

DavPaz wrote:
My rapidly deteriorating 5X is well documented in this thread. Shame. I really liked that phone

I'm still quite happy with mine, but the battery life really is bad, so much that I actually worry about it going flat if I'm out all day and evening. It also has a couple of annoying bugs, sometimes it'll just conk out, fully unresponsive unless I reset it using the magic 30 secs of holding power+vol down. If that happened while I was really needing the phone it'd be a real pisser.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:21 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I too like the looks of that Nokia 6.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:33 
Comfortably Dumb

The Exploding Kittens android app is 10p at the moment. I know this was a popular Kickstarter thing run by the guy behind The Oatmeal site, so I've bought the app despite it being a multiplayer card game thing and I don't really do multiplayer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:

You and I apparently have different standard for 'fucking stupendous amount'; £550 for a 64GB model is slightly less than I paid for my two previous phones I believe.

I wish I were rich like you.

But it is a lot of money when the Nexus 5 cost 25p (I think, I can't quite remember) and looks like it'll last until the heat death of the universe.

(Or "three years" because Google don't do security updates for it any more, but that's a different conversation).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:51 
SavyGamer

I paid $100 for my Nexus 5 early last year and it is holding up very well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The lack of active support would worry me, but it's only been a few months, I guess (it ended in December).

As a chunk of tin, though, it's a great little device.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 13:04 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
But it is a lot of money when the Nexus 5 cost 25p (I think, I can't quite remember) and looks like it'll last until the heat death of the universe.

I don't really understand your reasoning here. The N5 was two generations of Nexus before that and Google have been blatantly upping the spec, and thus the price, as time went on so it doesn't really mean anything to directly compare them. You can buy plenty of Android handsets that cost less than the 6P, that doesn't instantly mean it's over-priced. And talking about how long the N5 will 'last' isn't specific enough to respond to really.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 13:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:

The N5 was two generations of Nexus before that and Google have been blatantly upping the spec, and thus the price, as time went on.

I don't think that's true. I mean, obviously the spec has gone up, but I'd argue the Nexus 5 was as well-specced (compared to it's higher-end competitors at the time) as the 6p was.

I guess we could dig up the Sammy Galaxy and iPhone specs of the time, but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 13:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

What I'm really saying, however, is that I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a £650 device to last more than two years.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 13:51 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
I don't think that's true. I mean, obviously the spec has gone up, but I'd argue the Nexus 5 was as well-specced (compared to it's higher-end competitors at the time) as the 6p was.

I guess we could dig up the Sammy Galaxy and iPhone specs of the time, but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader ;)

I had it in my head that the N5 was of lower spec in some areas than the 'proper' flagships of the time but checking the Engadget review doesn't back that up so it seems I'm talking pish there. the camera in Nexus devices did always lag behind in terms of quality until the N6P/5X but that's not going to justify a couple of extra hundred quid on the price of course.

Grim... wrote:
What I'm really saying, however, is that I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a £650 device to last more than two years.

I absolutely agree with that, but your only real complaint with the phone is a restart every two weeks I'd argue it has lasted. Your battery life's taken a hit as you mention but wouldn't that have happened with any phone using the same battery tech (which they all are) and seeing the same usage pattern? The only real solution to that is a new battery but as the entire industry, pretty much, has moved to non-removable batteries Google certainly isn't being any worse than anyone else in that regard.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 14:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I need two new phones so I can test this.

I'll set up a kickstarter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 14:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Related article (which I haven't read so it may be crap): http://www.androidauthority.com/phones- ... ve-762053/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 15:08 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Related article (which I haven't read so it may be crap): http://www.androidauthority.com/phones- ... ve-762053/

I haven't read it either but I sort of agree with the premise. The N6P I was happy with for it's price, but what would've usually been my next upgrade (the Pixel phones) and the only other handset that's caught my eye recently (the Samsung 8+) are expensive enough that I'm absolutely not going to bother. The version of both of these that I'd be in the market for are north of £800 and that can get to fuck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 16:27 
SavyGamer

I'd say that whats happened is that Google have shifted the Nexus and now Pixel line more into the full on luxury flagship direction, whereas manufacturers like Motorola, LG, OnePlus, Xiaomi and a bunch of others have gladly stepped up their offerings in the "great specs but reasonably priced" market.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 17:30 

Google had a business plan to break into the market, and they nailed it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 18:18 

There's obviously a market for expensive phones so saying that they're too expensive seems nonsensical. It's like saying that shoes are "too expensive" because if you really want to you can pay thousands of pounds for some. Or cars, or just about anything.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 18:56 

Sir Taxalot wrote:
What about signing up for a 24 month contract for an iphone

Ding ding ding!

Who had "the third post" :p

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 19:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

markg wrote:
There's obviously a market for expensive phones so saying that they're too expensive seems nonsensical.

I'm saying the Nexus 6P was too expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 22:51 

The oneplus 3T is on my radar, but I'm not sure how the camera compares to some of the other options. I'm hoping it might get a bit cheaper when the 5 comes out.

GJ has a Nexus 5X, and I can't say it appeals, the 6P seems a bit big and I don't think I can justify the cost of a pixel.

The Xiaomi Mi 5 and the Huawei P9 have both been considered, but I've been put off both of them for reasons I can't remember.

There are a few nice Moto phones around, but they all seem to have something wrong with them.

Current front runner is the S7 Edge, but I'm trying to work out if Grace UX is as much of a shitshow as Touchwiz used to be, and the Galaxy S3 is the phone that caused me to dump my contract and go sim only, so Samsung need to do something good to win me back.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 23:30 
Can you dig it?

i really wanted an S7 when they came out, the specs etc looked really really good - I just couldn't afford one. Got very good reviews in the press too, IIRC.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:42 
Excellent Member

Bear in mind you can install the vanilla Google launcher from the Play store so even if Samsung's newer skin annoys you you don't have to suffer it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:13 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
Bear in mind you can install the vanilla Google launcher from the Play store so even if Samsung's newer skin annoys you you don't have to suffer it.

:this:

Since DocG mentioned this to me it's the first thing I do on any Android device (tablets as well as phones).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:39 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
Bamba wrote:

:this:

Since DocG mentioned this to me it's the first thing I do on any Android device (tablets as well as phones).

It's possibly worth mentioning that there were rumours there were going to stop offering it as an option but I haven't heard any confirmation of that or explanation as to why.

Edit: ah, sadly it's almost definitely a thing: http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/02/03 ... ing-weeks/

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 133  Next