Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo Switch (formerly "NX")
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:09 

This isn't based on that much data -- Twitter, here, talking to people. But I'm pretty sure there's a heck of a lot more buzz around the Switch launch than there was for the Wii-U, or any other Nintendo hardware for a decade.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:13 
SavyGamer

Same.

Edit: Mario at Christmas will be pretty important.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:06 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
This isn't based on that much data -- Twitter, here, talking to people. But I'm pretty sure there's a heck of a lot more buzz around the Switch launch than there was for the Wii-U, or any other Nintendo hardware for a decade.

:this: I thought that I was more aware of it since I ordered one, but yeah... You're right.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:08 
SavyGamer

You have to wonder how much better the Wii U would have done if it was given a different name.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 17:41 
Excellent Member

"The Puu."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 13:18 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... _clipboard

Bit harsh:

Quote:
Switch owners complaining of distracting dead or stuck pixels, or light or dark patches on the screens of their brand new consoles, are being told by Nintendo that they are “normal” and are not defects.

New Switch players have taken to online discussion boards, including a 2,000-comment strong Reddit post, to complain of screen issues distracting play, unbecoming of a £280 handheld gaming machine.

In a support document entitled “There are black or bright dots on the Nintendo Switch screen that do not go away, or there are dark or light patches on the screen” Nintendo said: “Small numbers of stuck or dead pixels are a characteristic of LCD screens. These are normal and should not be considered a defect.”

Also what the shit

Quote:
Nintendo also warned users that using the Switch near an aquarium or within a metre of another wireless device, including laptops, wireless headsets, wireless printers, microwaves, cordless phones or even USB-3.0 compatible devices “such as hard drives, thumb drives, LAN adapters, etc”, might cause the Joy-Con controllers to disconnect from the Switch.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 13:22 
UltraMod

Oh that's ok I never go near anything like that

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 13:23 

Switch joins room-scale VR on a short list of "gaming technology that demands you dedicate a special room of your house to it."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 13:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Thumb drives and aquariums?! Nintendo do you even technology?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 13:28 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Switch joins room-scale VR on a short list of "gaming technology that demands you dedicate a special room of your house to it."

I'm thinking about taking mine to Chuck McGill's house

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 13:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Take it to Kevin Mitnick's. Given Nintendo's complete inability to do anything remotely resembling online usability, it probably wouldn't even be a violation of his court order.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 13:50 
Hibernating Druid

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/06/nintendo-switch-dead-pixels-console?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Bit harsh:

Quote:
Switch owners complaining of distracting dead or stuck pixels, or light or dark patches on the screens of their brand new consoles, are being told by Nintendo that they are “normal” and are not defects.

New Switch players have taken to online discussion boards, including a 2,000-comment strong Reddit post, to complain of screen issues distracting play, unbecoming of a £280 handheld gaming machine.

In a support document entitled “There are black or bright dots on the Nintendo Switch screen that do not go away, or there are dark or light patches on the screen” Nintendo said: “Small numbers of stuck or dead pixels are a characteristic of LCD screens. These are normal and should not be considered a defect.”

Also what the shit

Quote:
Nintendo also warned users that using the Switch near an aquarium or within a metre of another wireless device, including laptops, wireless headsets, wireless printers, microwaves, cordless phones or even USB-3.0 compatible devices “such as hard drives, thumb drives, LAN adapters, etc”, might cause the Joy-Con controllers to disconnect from the Switch.

Sweet.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 21:17 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Zardoz wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/06/nintendo-switch-dead-pixels-console?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Bit harsh:

Quote:

Also what the shit

Quote:

Sweet.

Is it ce marked? Thus would be a fail against the emc directive, surely.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 22:21 
Participant in dramatic games

Quote:

I did wonder why my goldfish were suddenly 1-2-switch-fencing..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 15:21 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

A week with the Switch.

What a week it’s been? I think I’ve turned my Xbox on once and that was to watch YouTube while I did some ironing.

So yes, the Switch is brilliant. I’m sure you’ve read loads about it already but here’s my take.

The console itself is tiny. There’s nothing to it as it’s just a screen with a volume rocker, headphone socket, power button and tiny stand. The controllers slide in the side in a pleasing manner and when they lock in, the Switch shows a little shuddering animation on the side of the screen and plays a click sound. When it’s all together it feels quite solid and quite comfy. A couple of times I’ve felt like the screen was a little too big but I should get used to this. I think I have a tendency to play with it close to my face.

I was worried that I wouldn’t have the same immersion as I would on a big screen but this was nothing to worry about. Zelda has taken care of that as it’s immense! I can see why it’s getting universally good review scores as it is a phenomenal game.

Other games I have include 1-2 Switch. This was good fun with 3 of my friends the other night but I don’t think I’ll be playing it other than to show off the Switch. The HD rumble in the controllers is something else though! There’s a mini game where you have to guess how many balls are in a box just by pretending the controller is the box and rolling it around in your hand. I can’t describe how accurate the HD rumble is! It really does feel like there’s balls inside it! It’s amazing. Truly amazing.

I have downloaded a couple of Neo Geo games. Standard stuff really and the analogue stick does a perfect job for fighting games.

I also have Fast RMX. It’s like Wipeout only without the weapons but with an Ikaruga colour type system instead. You can change the colours on your ship using X and only cross the corresponding coloured speed boosts. I can see why this is a launch game because it looks stunning! It’s good fun and highly recommended.

The ‘share’ button on the console itself is instant. You press it and there’s absolutely zero delay in it registering and taking your screen shot. Something the Xbox One struggles with. There’s a built in sharing function too so you can share the images in an instant via Twitter or Facebook. I like this feature. Especially when the games look as good as Zelda and Fast RMX.

So there you go, some thoughts thrown our while I should be working. I’m impressed with the Switch and I can’t wait to see what the future holds for it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 15:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

TheVision wrote:
HD rumble

/narrows eyes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 15:27 
UltraMod

Is there anything you don't like about it, Vision?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 15:39 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Lonewolves wrote:

Err, praise bot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 15:40 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Lonewolves wrote:

Hmm.. Good question. I suppose the stand on the rear could be a bit better. I mean, it does the job but it's not central. It would be nice to have a proper D-pad on the joycons too but I can see why they haven't done that. I've always got the pro controller if I was that desperate though.

Apart from that there's a couple of little things that I'm sure can be fixed. The friend codes are awkward and it doesn't seem to remember my card details when I buy things.

So yeah, there's not much I don't like about it. I'm sure that will come as no surprise to anyone.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 15:40 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Grim... wrote:
TheVision wrote:
HD rumble

/narrows eyes

Their words, not mine.

Seriously though, it's amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 15:43 
UltraMod

If the rumble is of a higher definition than normal rumble I don't really see a problem with it. :shrug:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 15:43 
UltraMod

Bobbyaro wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Err, praise bot.

I know, that's why I asked specifically.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 15:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
If the rumble is of a higher definition than normal rumble I don't really see a problem with it. :shrug:

"noun the degree of distinctness of an object, image, or sound."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 15:55 
Bad Girl

No dead pixels on the display or scratches on the tablet caused by the stand then?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 16:03 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Satsuma wrote:
No dead pixels on the display or scratches on the tablet caused by the stand then?

No dead pixels (fingers crossed) and I'm ultra careful when I place it in the stand. There's no rough edges or anything and the screen doesn't even touch the front of the stand so I'm not really sure how these people are getting there's scratched... Unless they're throwing them in from the other side of the room?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 16:10 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

"noun the degree of distinctness of an object, image, or sound."

Sound is technically vibration and so is rumble.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 16:48 
Hibernating Druid

Does it smell guilty?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 17:02 
Paws for thought

Zardoz wrote:
Does it smell guilty?

Does it taste guilty?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 17:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Dave's career in the police was short-lived.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 17:24 
Hibernating Druid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:56 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Couple of things...

The 'minus' button could be in a better place. It's a bit tricky to reach over the thumbstick to press it. In Zelda it brings up the map and you use it a lot. The pro controller doesn't have this problem though as it's laid out like the 360 pad..

Also... My Switch seems to be knocking my phone off my Wifi at home. Further testing is needed but my phone has lost internet access a couple of times when I've been using both that and the Switch.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:00 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
Also... My Switch seems to be knocking my phone off my Wifi at home. Further testing is needed but my phone has lost internet access a couple of times when I've been using both that and the Switch.

Check they've not been assigned the same IP address by your router. The other thing you can do is set the Switch up to use a static IP rather than DHCP.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 13:06 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Lonewolves wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Check they've not been assigned the same IP address by your router. The other thing you can do is set the Switch up to use a static IP rather than DHCP.

I shall do some further investigating tonight. It happened last week as well but I had 3 friends round at the time. Each of their phones connected to my Wifi so I thought it might have something to do with that?

Hopefully it's an easy fix though as I'd like the Switch to feel welcome in my Command Centre. We don't want to to set off on the wrong foot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 13:08 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Unless you had 254 friends round I don't think it would be that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 13:11 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

This shows how little I know about Wifi. On that night there was probably about 7-8 devices connected to it and 3 more wired into the router.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 13:13 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
This shows how little I know about Wifi. On that night there was probably about 7-8 devices connected to it and 3 more wired into the router.

Which band do you use? 2.4GHz or 5GHz? Should be fine really.

Wifi is dumb though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 13:15 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Everything that can be connected via 5GHz is. I think that the only thing that is on 2.4GHz is my Wii and possibly my 3DS? But those were turned off anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 13:19 
UltraMod

I get 40Mbps through a cable and only 8Mbps on wifi from the bedroom in my tiny flat. Wifi is stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 13:25 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I think mine is slightly higher than that on Wifi but it doesn't matter that much as everything that will downloading big files (My PC, Xbox one, Xbox 360) are all wired in.

Everything else (apart from the Switch now I think about it) are just connected to browse.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 13:28 
UltraMod

Can you use ethernet or powerlines for the Switch and see if there's any difference? I have my Wii U setup on wifi and it's fine.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 14:28 
Paws for thought

Lonewolves wrote:
Can you use ethernet or powerlines for the Switch and see if there's any difference? I have my Wii U setup on wifi and it's fine.

Does the switch even do wired?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 14:37 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

It does but you need to use an adaptor which I don't have and won't be buying... so in answer to your question Lonewolves, no. I can't test that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:14 
Can you dig it?

Can't you just use a little bit of mobile data if you really must use your phone while gaming on the Switch?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:46 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Can't you just use a little bit of mobile data if you really must use your phone while gaming on the Switch?

Yeah, I could and do but after my phone was knocked off the Wifi, I needed to reset my router to get it back on which is a bit of a pain.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:48 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I found out this morning that games automatically update if needed when the Switch is in sleep mode. This is a good thing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 22:27 
Participant in dramatic games

Sir Taxalot wrote:

or you could do it the other way around, using your smartphone as hotspot and see what the wifi does then..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 22:47 
Can you dig it?

TheVision wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:

Yeah, I could and do but after my phone was knocked off the Wifi, I needed to reset my router to get it back on which is a bit of a pain.

That is a pain I agree. I suggest fucking around with the settings on the router until it either 1) works properly or 2) is broken. That's what I usually do. (I've had an issue with the router trying to use the same IP address for two devices, as Myp said. I also had an odd situation where everything went funny because I had just upgraded to a new iphone and had two devices called 'Kevins Phone' trying to connect.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:31 
UltraMod

My colleague brought his in for me to look at today. I have to say it's a nice bit of kit, and smaller than I expected, weirdly.

I can see myself picking one up when Super Mario Odyssey comes out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
smaller than I expected, weirdly.

I think several of us have thought that so far.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 17:26 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Ashens review of the Switch

Reply to topic  [ 1782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 36  Next