Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 133  Next
 Post subject: Re: Google Android
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 13:15 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Also, Google support does not routinely monitor beex, so moaning on here isn't going to help you either.

WTF.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 13:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

*changes Doc's username to 'Google Support'*

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 13:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Oh, hey, I was going to change your username.

I forget what I was going to change it... "One pump"! That was it. But I forget what the joke was now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 13:58 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:

"Dr Support. I didn't spend 4 years studying to be called Mr, thank you very much"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 14:01 

MaliA wrote:
Cras wrote:

"Dr Support. I didn't spend 4 years studying to be called Mr, thank you very much"

No, please, please! My father is Mr Support. You can call me Dr Support.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 14:56 

Grim... wrote:
I forget what I was going to change it... "One pump"! That was it. But I forget what the joke was now.

His nickname at school after the one time he forgot both of his PE shoes?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:15 
Gogmagog

GooglePhotos app mashed up my photos order again and thinks loads were taken yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:13 
Unpossible!

MaliA wrote:
GooglePhotos app mashed up my photos order again and thinks loads were taken yesterday.

If the photo had no date attached, or something's stripped the metadata, Google will pick up the uploaded date as the correct one. You can, of course manually adjust.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 14:22 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:

If the photo had no date attached, or something's stripped the metadata, Google will pick up the uploaded date as the correct one. You can, of course manually adjust.

Oh, ok. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 17:22 
SavyGamer

I sort of forgot that John Hurt was in 1984 and then also in V for Vendetta.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:09 
Comfortably Dumb

Not the most exciting app news, but you can now get Microsoft's Solitaire Collection (Klondike, Freecell, Spider, TriPeaks and Pyramid) on Android and iOS.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:14 

Pretend it's the year two thousand and you're bored at work, while you're on the go!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 16:53 
Unpossible!

DavPaz wrote:
I have the 5x and my only complaint is the battery life. Oh and the lack of SD card slot. Other than that, it's all good

So, something snapped in me over Christmas and I rapidly fell out of love with the 5x

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 16:56 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

DavPaz wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
I have the 5x and my only complaint is the battery life. Oh and the lack of SD card slot. Other than that, it's all good

So, something snapped in me over Christmas and I rapidly fell out of love with the 5x

How come?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 16:57 
Unpossible!

Sooo... I traded it in for £95, bought a Moto G4 sim free and put a 32GB card into it. Nice battery life, loads of room and a surprisingly good screen. The facebook app is laggy, but... meh.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 16:58 
Unpossible!

TheVision wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

How come?

Battery lasted about 3 hours. Always complaining about space running out.

(and I wanted something new)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 17:00 
Prince of Fops

TheVision wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

How come?

Because he and Mrs Paz were trying new things in the bedroom, and the "something" was the 5X.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 17:01 
Unpossible!

Findus Fop wrote:
TheVision wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

How come?

Because he and Mrs Paz were trying new things in the bedroom, and the "something" was the 5X.

That vibrate setting was weak.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 17:14 
Prince of Fops

DavPaz wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
TheVision wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

How come?

That vibrate setting was weak.

Indeed. For anal play, I don't think a phone has been buttered bettered since the 3310.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 15:45 
Gogmagog

Is it my phone tracking movement with google fit, or my watch when both are on?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 15:47 

MaliA wrote:

Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 16:00 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Yes.

The phone.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 16:12 
Unpossible!

Giphy "synergy":
https://media.giphy.com/media/Q1bTp572qNOO4/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:43 
Hello Hello Hello

My S7 downloaded NOUGAT overnight which I installed this morning whilst driving into work. It seems.... very much the same, although the font up in the notification bar has changed a bit.

Also it's done that HA HA ONE OF YOUR ICONS HAS VANISHED BUT YOU CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT WAS THERE CAN YOU EVIL LAUGH thing.

The camera offered up instructions about some new swizzies which of course I've already forgotten.

Thrilling stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 19:08 
Hello Hello Hello

Ooohhh, my Shield has just got the Nougat update as well. Nvidia's support for the tablet has been very solid in all fairness.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 21:10 
Hello Hello Hello

S7 Nougat thing that's better reportage - they've changed the 'Always On' screen thing to now actually display useful information, although this might be more of a Samsung thing than a Google thing so not specifically Nougat. I don't know for sure. And I don't care enough to find out.

Anyway, it now has extra icons that meaningfully relate to the application that generated them, a Facebook message icon, or a Whatsapp message icon, or a 'something is tethered to your hotspot' icon, or a torch icon, and, well, you get the idea.

It's definitely made the always on screen more informative. Hundreds of pounds well spent on that upgrade from the Nexus 5.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:56 
Hello Hello Hello

So my phone has done this three times now in the last month or so, it's either since the Nougat update or a Samsung update, I'm not sure which as I don't know exactly when it went up the shitter.

Basically, it'll just randomly stop backing up photos to my Google Drive, despite me changing no options at all, and all the options to back up photos to Google Drive, being present and correct.

Eventually it'll put a nag notification in the status bar and inform me it's not backing up my photos, and that I should review my settings, I click on the handy 'Review settings to back up now' link, to be taking to a settings screen where..... everything's already set correctly.

I then close the settings screen down having changed NOTHING AT ALL, and it immediately decides to start backing up all the photos it's missed, and they appear in my Google Drive a couple of minutes later.

Third time it's happened, most recently just this morning.

Attachment:
photey1.JPG

Attachment:
photey2.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:24 
UltraMod

Blame Gaywood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

At a vague guess, it sounds like it's not doing it in the background properly. When you visit the settings it loads the app and starts the upload.

Might be wrong, but it sounds plausible.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:45 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
At a vague guess, it sounds like it's not doing it in the background properly. When you visit the settings it loads the app and starts the upload.

Might be wrong, but it sounds plausible.

The thing is, if I go into the settings screen without using the notification nag prompt, and then close the settings screen, it doesn't then start to back things up.

Like, I noticed a few days ago it wasn't backing up as I had to manually sync a couple of photos from the camera app. I checked the settings screen at that time and verified they were correct. A reboot of the phone made no difference either.

It only seems to be when it finally nags me about it and sends me off to the settings screen itself, that it starts syncing again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 0:42 
Excellent Member

Brave is weirdly named but so far seems like a really good Android browser with adblocking baked right in. It's Chromium based so is basically Chrome and thus instantly a million times better than the actual Adblock browser which a Firefox fork and thus just as shitty. Seriously, fuck Firefox for Android; it's mind bogglingly awful. Anyway, try Brave, it's pretty cool:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ve.browser

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:03 
Excellent Member

Just as a quick follow up on that last post, Brave has now replaced Chrome for me on all my devices because the adblocking does exactly what you'd want and, in every other way I can find, it works exactly like Chrome. I suppose it would be worth browsing a list of what exact enhancements Google add to the Chromium base to see if there's anything in there you couldn't do without but I don't actually know if such a list is available anywhere?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:06 
SavyGamer

Shame it won't do bookmark and history syncing with Chrome. Unless I missed something.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:13 
Excellent Member

LewieP wrote:
Shame it won't do bookmark and history syncing with Chrome. Unless I missed something.

No, you're right, and I was just coming back to point that out after doing some poking around. Google have locked all third party browsers out of syncing that stuff so it's something you would indeed need to live without. I don't use that stuff really so it's not a deal breaker for me. Apparently Brave are working on their own sync solution which is in beta on the desktop version of the browser but no date announced yet for the mobile side of things.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:48 
Hello Hello Hello

I got given an Android J5 '2016' phone a few weeks ago. I didn't want it but apparently I need to be able to get work emails ON THE MOVE and be able to access certain corporate resources when I'm ON THE MOVE and stuff like that. Since I'm on the on-call rota and get paid for it I couldn't really say no.

(The official line is that whilst the phones are locked down to an extent (Airwatch and some other thing) and have corporate policies applied to them and suchlike, we're allowed/encouraged to use them as 'personal' devices too so you can have Facebook and apps from the Play Store and games on them and all that shit, change the home screen to what you want (I put the Google Now launcher on there), there's a generous monthly data allowance, plus they auto-connect to the corporate wifi in any of our buildings - but usage policies still apply to them and I don't want to have to worry about Googling 'anal gaping' on a night out because someone asked what it was - hence my preference remains to have my own device on my own contract that I pay for.)

Anyway, it's very much a budget Android device (£180-£200), but you know what, in actual use I'm seriously hard pushed to tell any real difference between it and my S7. In particular screen resolution on mobiles is a total con, the J5 has a 720p screen, my S7 has a 1440p screen - to my eyes they look fucking identical except the screen on the J5 doesn't drain the battery like a bastard because it's not driving so many fucking pointless invisible pixels. (Actually, the last update to the S7 quietly defaulted the screen to 1080p, you have to manually choose 1440p, which is effectively an admittance that the resolution wars on mobiles are a total nonsense.)

Anyway, if you're after a solid Android phone for less than than £200, get a Samsung J5 '2016' edition, it's very much like an S7 but a lot cheaper.

No wireless charging though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:11 
chewbacca -future arc welder

For my upgrade this time round i went in with a hard price limit of £17 pm because that's what my mate pays and he's got a Moto that i liked when i played with it. Came away with a LG K8 2016 on a reasonable contract for £17 pm (£120 handset) and i certainly couldn't tell you the difference between this and a fancy bastard phone bar finger print unlock. And there's no wireless charging. Oh and a 32 giggle SD as the internal memory is pants.£15

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 23:59 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I have a 2012 nexus 7 that is beginning to show its age, it is very slow and freezes a lot, so am looking at potential replacements.

The amazon fire 7 is currently 35£, but it has a 1.3 ghz processor and 1Gb ram. The same as the nexus.

Is there actually anything better about the fire than the 5 year old nexus?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 22:45 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:38 
Hello Hello Hello

The only person I know who's got one is my father-in-law, who wanted a cheap tablet for when my mother-in-law refuses to relinquish the iPad and there's nothing on telly he wants to watch.

I can ask him what he thinks of it, but can't promise the most amazing of technical appraisals. However, I can only assume it works reasonably well or I'd have had the technical support calls* already.

* Wireless printers, I'm looking at you. And a wireless Now TV box, and wireless things in general, really.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:36 
Unpossible!

http://www.trustedreviews.com/amazon-fire-review

2016 review of the Fire 7. Not a glowing review by any means. Bare in mind that the Fire can't access the Google App Store.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:40 
Prince of Fops

I'm surprised Hearthly hasn't chimed in with his Nvidia Shield shenanigans.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I have an nVidia Shield. I can't quite get over how good it is for the money.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:51 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
I have an nVidia Shield. I can't quite get over how good it is for the money.

:this:

They're £170 now so a bit more expensive than when I got mine (£150), but I'd still 100% recommend them.

Really well supported by Nvidia as well, with regular patch style updates, and got the full Nougat update in a timely manner as well.

TBH I'd be inclined to drop the 'for the money' qualifier, it's just a really good tablet full stop, the low price is simply the icing on the cake.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 13:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I think I paid around £120 for mine.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 15:17 
Isn't that lovely?

Has anyone else noticed that their phone is no longer converting lowercase i to uppercase I on their phones mid-sentence? Mine seems to have stopped doing this in the last week or so.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 15:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I don't think i have.

Well, the we are.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 15:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Works if I do it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 15:26 
Unpossible!

Malc wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that their phone is no longer converting lowercase i to uppercase I on their phones mid-sentence? Mine seems to have stopped doing this in the last week or so.

Now that you mention it, i have noticed that happening recently. Sort it out, Gaywood!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 15:58 
Comfortably Dumb

Malc wrote:

I've noticed this too. Wasn't sure if it was limited to WhatsApp or everything using the keyboard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 17:09 
Excellent Member

devilman wrote:
Malc wrote:

I've noticed this too. Wasn't sure if it was limited to WhatsApp or everything using the keyboard

It's everything. A quick Google shows people have been moaning about it since the start of the month.

ETA: also, apparently it can be temporarily fixed by clearing cache/date for the Gboard app but the issue will come back at some point.

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 133  Next