Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 22:45 
Gogmagog

95℅ going for a Voodoo Zobop now, over a Boardman Team FS. It is bright green, has longer travel and reviews mention the need for a stiffer rear end on the Boardman. Will get sized up tomorrow.

First upgrades will be SPDs and probably new brakes. And removal of reflectors.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:07 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Halfords bikes? Get a merida, they're better. Or indeed a giant or specialized or trek.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:16 
Gogmagog

krazywookie wrote:
Halfords bikes? Get a merida, they're better. Or indeed a giant or specialized or trek.

Yeah, they review very well, and the Hoodoo I have is great for the price. Any reviews on a £1k meridia?

I'd like 140mm travel and stuff. Voodoo and Boardman do it for the price and review very well, you see, and this is what is driving this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:34 

Fair dos, I see them as a false economy thing, the frames are poor quality and so are the bearings and it'll be years before the geometry catches up to big brands. I'd rather folk spent a bit more and got proper bikes with good servicing backup and decent warranty cover. I.e. not halfords! Sorry not trying to be a duck here, but it's something I see a lot and it bothers me, ignore at will :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:35 

That was meant to say dick obviously. Sigh.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:38 
UltraMod

I got a Halfords bike and the front wheel collapsed within a year. I'd never buy theirs again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:45 
Gogmagog

Not at all. I dug a bit deeper and the range isn't just limited to halfords so I will looksee this week.

I am limited to £1k as cycle to work scheme, and the saving makes it £680.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 15:18 
Gogmagog

zobop review is positive and gives it 9/10, bad points being slippy grips and saddle height. Which should be doable. It seems to have better tyres than the Boardman Team FS, and I think I'd prefer better tyres and a green coat of paint. Halfords are getting a 19inch Boardman in to sit on, but I think I have talked myself I to a Zobop now.

Boardman review wrote:
All of changes that Boardman has made to the Team FS for 2016 are positive ones. You still get one of the best-dressed bikes for under a grand, but the frame now possesses a ride quality that’s every bit as fitting as the finishing kit adorning it. In the end, it was a very close call between the Boardman Team FS and the Calibre Bossnut. If the Team FS came with the stiffer, 142x12mm rear end, and better tyres, Boardman could easily be looking at a double-digit rating.
Read more at http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/full-suspe ... LkKohgD.99

voodoo review wrote:
As first impressions go, the VooDoo Zobop certainly has impact; the eye-catching neon green front end contrasting nicely with the gloss black rear end. It’s not just the Voodoo’s frame finish that’s sleek though. The riding position is also dialled, and the bike pedals efficiently and makes surprisingly light work of the climbs for a 140mm-travel bike. It’s on the descents however, that the Zobop reveals its true colours. This bike is a total shredder. With better grips and a dropper seat post, we are 100 per cent confident that it could keep up with bikes costing twice its price.
Read more at http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/full-suspe ... 6G8IA9G.99

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 14:47 
Gogmagog

Going to get the Boardman. I went to Halfords and had a look a.d a chat. It's a lovely looking piece of kit and I prefer the suspension system on it. And red is a winning color.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:02 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
It gets better: It currently has a Child Seat on it, like this one...

:metul:

Do you know the max weight\age that seat will work with? Thinking of getting a bike I can take my son out on.

Also anyone have a recommendation on balance bikes for kids? (3) was just looking at getting one from Tesco Direct as we have £200 worth of club card vouchers. But if there are better recommendations would be happy to look at them

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:07 
Master of dodgy spelling....

asfish wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Do you know the max weight\age that seat will work with? Thinking of getting a bike I can take my son out on.

Also anyone have a recommendation on balance bikes for kids? (3) was just looking at getting one from Tesco Direct as we have £200 worth of club card vouchers. But if there are better recommendations would be happy to look at them

Any balance bike will do. What i did with MiniKov was just take pedals off his bike.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:08 
Gogmagog

KovacsC wrote:
asfish wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Any balance bike will do. What i did with MiniKov was just take pedals off his bike.

I like this idea. Good man.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:31 
Prince of Fops

Bike seat: I have a Hamax Kiss and still take my daughter out on it. She's 5 in a couple of weeks.

Balance bike: don't get one of these. Mini Fop found it much too heavy to get on with.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:33 
Gogmagog

I considered a balance bike but then realised that Randall is lazy so I would have to push her everywhere on it, and it's only work going downhill sio balls to that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:40 
Prince of Fops

MaliA wrote:
I considered a balance bike but then realised that Randall is lazy so I would have to push her everywhere on it, and it's only work going downhill sio balls to that.

Same experience for me. Nothing more frustrating than shuffling down the street, stooping over a bored child so you can push them on their balance bike while they paddle like a half-drowned dog in a pond.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:46 
Soopah red DS

If you want to go the other way, away from safety etc, come to Whitstable for lessons in how to take your little girl to school as she stands on the handlebars of your bike. Bloke here does it regularly - kind of amazing; her balance, his ability to hold on and the sheer insanity of the thing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:46 

Findus Fop wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Same experience for me. Nothing more frustrating than shuffling down the street, stooping over a bored child so you can push them on their balance bike while they paddle like a half-drowned dog in a pond.

I took Minikov to a tennis court at the park. he whizzed round

When bored, we left :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:49 
Gogmagog

KovacsC wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I took Minikov to a tennis court at the park. he whizzed round

When bored, we left :)

Dempsey sat on a paw patrol bike in Halfords and it fitted but she wasn't strong enough to turn pedals. She then detonated when we had to leave as I had ignored her advice of "Let's buy it!".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:50 
Gogmagog

Pick it up today! Woowoo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:23 
Excellent Member

This is what I was planning to get for him

http://www.tesco.com/direct/zycomotion- ... d=497-2811

It looks good and its one of the more expensive ones so thinking (maybe naively) that it will stand the knocks my son will give it.

Agree with the point that he might get board but hoping I can build some interest over Christmas as my Dad is coming over and he does anything granddad tells him

Bike is part of a general plan to get him doing a bit more including swimming, he loves water but gets pissed off when he can't move himself around.

Not sure if he is like other kids with his wiliness to get out and do things, but he can be really lazy with walking wanting me to carry him all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:34 

I don't think it matters with a balance bike on the cost, very few moving parts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 14:32 
sneering elitist

asfish wrote:
Not sure if he is like other kids with his wiliness to get out and do things, but he can be really lazy with walking wanting me to carry him all the time.

Don't forget kids have much smaller legs and have to take more steps to cover the same distance as you, so get tired much quicker than adults.

Apologies if this sounds obvious/granny sucking eggs type thing, but I've seen parents try to transition from pushchairs on e.g. the school run and will literally go from child sitting one day to walking the next and then get cross at the kid because they can't walk to and from the school without wanting to be picked up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:13 
Hibernating Druid

Balance bikes are awesome. I'm sure they helped my kids make a quicker transition from having having stabilisers on pushbikes to going without them.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:45 
Excellent Member

Jem wrote:
asfish wrote:

Don't forget kids have much smaller legs and have to take more steps to cover the same distance as you, so get tired much quicker than adults.

Apologies if this sounds obvious/granny sucking eggs type thing, but I've seen parents try to transition from pushchairs on e.g. the school run and will literally go from child sitting one day to walking the next and then get cross at the kid because they can't walk to and from the school without wanting to be picked up.

I find with my son that if we meet my brother somewhere for a walk then he will happily walk for miles, if I take him to the park around the corner then he wants to be carried.

Also when we go to the supermarket I will park as far away as possible as its just habit now to get steps done, so he wants me to carry him until we get to the doors then he wriggles until I put him down and is off to the toy section bugging me to get him Thomas trains!

On the topic of swimming lessons we had a call back from somebody who does 1-1 at the local pool £20 for 30 mins :o

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:48 
Excellent Member

Zardoz wrote:
Balance bikes are awesome. I'm sure they helped my kids make a quicker transition from having having stabilisers on pushbikes to going without them.

I have a mate who's boy is around the same age as mine, he said you should not put stabilisers on the bike when they move from a balance bike?

Also my brothers son is getting swimming lessons and he has been told no arm bands when he takes his son outside of the lessons, he gives him a blow up ring instead.

Still some way to go for both for my son!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:52 
Gogmagog

I chuck Tubbs into a rubber ring and she'll bob abut a bit and do some kicking to swim a length or to eventually, then she just wants to jump in a lot. I think MrsA wil take Withnail and I to some place for swimmng lessons (£20 an hour)because I dunno how to properly do it, i just go as it is realtivly quiet for an hour or so.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:20 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
I chuck Tubbs into a rubber ring and she'll bob abut a bit and do some kicking to swim a length or to eventually, then she just wants to jump in a lot. I think MrsA wil take Withnail and I to some place for swimmng lessons (£20 an hour)because I dunno how to properly do it, i just go as it is realtivly quiet for an hour or so.

We can't use this swimming instructor as she only teaches when he is in nursery, so plan is to call another pool close by. No way I'm going to teach him as he will just want to piss around with me, but he will do what another adult tells him as long as I'm sat in the viewing area. He goes to a gym type class on a Thursday and parents have to sit in a viewing area, he always does as he is told in this class.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:24 

asfish wrote:
Jem wrote:
asfish wrote:

I find with my son that if we meet my brother somewhere for a walk then he will happily walk for miles, if I take him to the park around the corner then he wants to be carried.

Also when we go to the supermarket I will park as far away as possible as its just habit now to get steps done, so he wants me to carry him until we get to the doors then he wriggles until I put him down and is off to the toy section bugging me to get him Thomas trains!

On the topic of swimming lessons we had a call back from somebody who does 1-1 at the local pool £20 for 30 mins :o

yes I pay £30 for 45mins for 1 2 1 for me

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:25 
Hibernating Druid

asfish wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

I have a mate who's boy is around the same age as mine, he said you should not put stabilisers on the bike when they move from a balance bike?

They weren't on for long, just long enough for them to get used to the whole peddling thing. If I remember correctly both my kids learnt how to ride without stabilisers at 4 years old.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:26 

asfish wrote:
No way I'm going to teach him as he will just want to piss around with me

Just tell him it'll turn you purple.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 17:03 

For balance bike to pedals transition I recommend a bikybiky vest (on phone, you'll have to google it). About 4 hours with this and you can eBay it in my experience. It's good for getting them used to balance bikes too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 17:23 
Hibernating Druid

Good for getting them used to the idea of being taken by eagles too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 18:11 

Important, that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 20:02 
Gogmagog

Number 6 if you don't include the tandem

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 21:04 

MaliA wrote:

I like that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 21:30 
Gogmagog

KovacsC wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I like that.

It looks quite smart. Once I strip the reflectors off and stick SPDs on it, it'll be better. It's 140mm travel, apparently.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:39 

Look at that saddle, be like sitting on a razor blade.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:48 
Gogmagog

markg wrote:

Shape of saddle makes them comfy, not padding.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:07 
Unpossible!

markg wrote:

Classic.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:16 
Hibernating Druid

I were right about that saddle though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 13:52 
Gogmagog

First ride out on it so I went for a noodle up to the top of Baildon Moor. It was wet and muddy, and the bike flatters me and my poor line choices. I stopped to fiddke with the seat far too often but soon will have it adjusted correctly. I really like it, and the 2*10 gears have a really good range.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 21:34 
Gogmagog

Went to Stainburn today for the second outing. Bloody loved it, the rear of the bike floats over stuff, and it's got loads of traction over the bumps. Still went "Nope nope nope" at the four foot high rock drop off thing (pictured) though. I found things so much easier than I had before, like the entrance chute into the red run where it is steep, rocky and rooty. I even began laughing over a rock garden inbetween berms. Bloody love it, grip here, speed there, and gearing good, too. Just need to sort the saddle, now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:17 
Unpossible!

Who's Rover is that?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:21 
Gogmagog

Rule 25 followed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:25 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
Who's Rover is that?

I saw the owner. He's devillishly handsome, and rogueishly charming​

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:51 

MaliA wrote:
Rule 25 followed.

My current record stands at 18x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:56 
Gogmagog

krazywookie wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Rule 25 followed.

Crikey. Good work.

I want to change the shifters on the boardman, as the current SRAM ones aren't as comfortable as Shimano's Rapid Fire Plus ( they are like orginal rapid fire, using thumb for up and down), and I need to sort out seatpost and saddle, as it isn't right at all. I don't think I can legitimately argue for a dropper right now, though, at £300. I might stick some bar ends on it, though. And the clipless pedals, they are important.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:04 

MaliA wrote:
krazywookie wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Rule 25 followed.

Crikey. Good work.

I want to change the shifters on the boardman, as the current SRAM ones aren't as comfortable as Shimano's Rapid Fire Plus ( they are like orginal rapid fire, using thumb for up and down), and I need to sort out seatpost and saddle, as it isn't right at all. I don't think I can legitimately argue for a dropper right now, though, at £300. I might stick some bar ends on it, though. And the clipless pedals, they are important.

Get a brand x or a tranzx roughly £140 fitted! You have stealth holes in the frame?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:11 
Gogmagog

krazywookie wrote:
MaliA wrote:
krazywookie wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Rule 25 followed.

Crikey. Good work.

Get a brand x or a tranzx roughly £140 fitted! You have stealth holes in the frame?

Oh, super, thank you. I shall have a look. And for frame holes, too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 22:08 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
krazywookie wrote:
MaliA wrote:
krazywookie wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Rule 25 followed.

Crikey. Good work.

Oh, super, thank you. I shall have a look. And for frame holes, too.

Couldn't see any frame holes.Went Stainburn this morning, rode into a tree after locking rear and sliding. Oops. At some point a couple of front chainring teeth have been chipped off, too. Still love it, really need to fit SPDs.

Reply to topic  [ 1654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 34  Next