Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Pinball Arcade
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 18:36 
Hello Hello Hello

I haven't got any scores worth shit on there at the moment, there was some sort of score-wipe last year (don't know if it was accidental or not) and TBH I haven't since racked up any real scores of note on any of the tables. Because Hearthstone, mainly.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 19:51 
Excellent Member

Even better. I want to be first on a list with much more people.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 20:01 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm just 'Chopley Turnip' on Steam, feel free to add me then in that case :)

I'm a member of the Steam BEEX group too so I should be in that list.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 16:19 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I think this could have been updated on the 360. It looks like the Star Trek table, the Addams family table and Terminator are available.

Not sure if this brings it up to date but it's a good start. The only problem is the prices. I figured that it would cost over £70 to get all the tables.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 16:28 
Hello Hello Hello

Problem is you're only going to get the DX9 lighting model on the 360/PS3 versions, which look really horrible compared to the new DX11 lighting model which is on the PS4/PC versions. (I assume the XBox One uses the DX11 model too.)

I launched the DX9 version of Pinball Arcade by accident a few days ago and was shocked at how shit it looks compared to the new DX11 version.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 17:07 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

The 360 has been updated and they dropped it all as basically one big update - however there are better places to play it (any newer console or PC/Mac)

Last few tables have been fairly basic but everything seems that way after The Addams Family :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:49 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
Last few tables have been fairly basic but everything seems that way after The Addams Family :-)

Funny you say that 'cause Red & Ted's Roadshow has just been released :) Quite a deep ruleset on this one, especially for maximum scoring.

Pat Lawlor design, he of Twilight Zone and Addam's Family fame.

Looks lovely as Britt Ekland's bottom double in The Wicker Man in DX11 mode too.

NOTE - If the game doesn't update itself in Steam, opt out of the beta and it'll queue it and then download it, doesn't affect your ability to play the game in DX11 (beta) mode.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:49 
Excellent Member

DX11 mode makes many tables flippers tips to be out of the frame in every single camera. There should be a custom camera in this game..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:24 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:12 
Hello Hello Hello

THE GETAWAY : HIGH SPEED 2 is the latest table to launch which is super because it's a fantastic table.

Unfortunately it's also the first table in Season 5 so I've had to shell out £29.99 for the Pro version of the season. The table is available on its own for £3.99.

Non-Pro version of the season is £22.99 but I like the Pro extras such as being able to go into the Operator's Menus.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 0:01 

My favourites were (and lets face it, always will be)

Attack from Mars
Medieval Madness *
Indiana Jones *
Space Invaders *

* Played in real life.

I seriously dare not fire up that emulator again (for historical reasons), but am happy to watch others do so.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 20:25 
Hello Hello Hello

Latest addition is the splendid Steve Ritchie table 'NO FEAR', which was a favourite of mine in a pub here many years ago.

In all fairness the current season has been very good for tables, now that they're back mainly on Williams/Bally and have given the heave-ho to all that fucking Gottlieb shite.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 21:57 
Hello Hello Hello

Blimey they seem to be coming thick and fast this season, but who cares when it's one quality Williams/Bally table after another?

If they keep pumping them out like this, I'll keep handing over the cash for one season after another no problem.

Let's just pretend all that horrible Gottlieb stuff never happened......

Attachment:
jdo.JPG

Attachment:
jdf.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:15 
8-Bit Champion

Next kickstarter will be for the excellent Doctor Who pinball table - early 2016

Quote:
We are very proud to announce that we will be launching a Kickstarter early 2016 to digitize the amazing Dr. Who Pinball table!

https://www.facebook.com/pinballarcade/ ... =3&theater

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:26 
Hello Hello Hello

Yeah I saw that on their Facebook page.

Problem for me is it not actually being a particularly good pinball table (IMO at least), without the Dr Who licence I don't think anyone would remember it at all.

That said I hope the Kickstarter succeeds as it's always good to see more stuff getting added :) Unlike their other Kickstarters though (Terminator 2, STTNG, Twilight Zone) I'm not really sure this is one I'll be backing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 23:08 
Hello Hello Hello

Kickstarter for Doctor Who is now live, they've put the overspill from the Addam's Family KS towards this one, which leaves them with $54,364 to find (total licensing costs are $72,000).

Even though I'm not particularly fired up about this specific table I guess I'll lob £20 their way as at a wider level I think Pinball Arcade is fantastic and quite an important project as real pinballs are so scarce these days.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... ?ref=video

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:43 
Hello Hello Hello

The Kickstarter isn't yet 50% funded and it's just over halfway through its duration so not looking overly promising at the moment. The thing is, in the promo video they talk about it not being commercially viable due to the costs of the licences required, which I guess means they think they won't turn a profit on this single table, hence the Kickstarter - but isn't one of the points of a business its willingness to invest in its own product? So whilst it might cost them to produce a Doctor Who pinball, the value to their brand would make it worthwhile, or something.

Besides which, it's not as if there aren't a million and one unbranded tables they could do instead, or indeed better choices for Kickstarters IMO that would get more traction, such as The Simpsons. (I've always thought that Doctor Who was (a) Not a great pinball and (b) A bit of a niche choice for a Kickstarter.)

In other news, two new tables have now been released and they're both dreadful fucking ancient EM things, I resent the fact they're taking up part of the season's allocation of tables. Literally minutes of 'enjoyment' to be had here.

Attachment:
wanko.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:53 
Hello Hello Hello

Well then, following an 'almost suspicious' last surge (like Farsight found $10K to chuck at it or something), the Dr Who KS is now funded with a couple of days to go, so the table is coming in the next season.

They added some new tiers in a few days ago though, so maybe they did the trick.

Either way I'm glad, as it'd be a shame to see one of these Kickstarters fail and ultimately, the more tables they get into the game, the better.

The Kicktraq for it has been interesting.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/106736 ... octor-who/

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 22:10 
8-Bit Champion

Next Kickstarter is live - AC/DC

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... cade-ac-dc

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 22:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Who is doing the singing?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 22:29 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:

I can't help but feel they're going to trip over their own feet sooner or later with these increasingly daft Kickstarters, but they haven't failed one yet. (Although TBH I still think the finish of Dr Who was a bit dodgy.)

And now with this one they're lumping two things in together, which is a new physics engine, better graphics on consoles, better lighting on mobile etc - i.e. Improvements to the game engine which should IMO just be part of what they're doing anyway, which they're combining with an AC/DC Kickstarter.

So what happens if the KS fails, do they not do all the engine enhancements, or stop working on them, or not release them, or something?

It's not like there's anything about the AC/DC pinball which requires a better engine than the one they have already, and the new engine would be equally valuable for any release.

I won't be supporting this one but I hope it succeeds as anything that's good for digital pinball preservation is worthwhile. I've bought all the table seasons up to now at full price, and supported three (IIRC) of their Kickstarters, but I'll sit this KS out. I'll definitely buy the next season as well, as it's a great game overall - but I have no real interest in an AC/DC pinball, and there are so many amazing Williams/Bally tables that haven't been done, that wouldn't have any crazy licensing requirements about them.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:18 
8-Bit Champion

Hearthly wrote:
I can't help but feel they're going to trip over their own feet sooner or later with these increasingly daft Kickstarters, but they haven't failed one yet.

I agree , I hope they dont but I worry that they try something like this - it fails , and they then will not know what to do next.

I've never played this table although i've heard a lot about it

I probably will support this one just to support them , and I'm still at the point I will blindly chuck in the £3 or whatever it is when a new table comes out anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:35 

Hearthly wrote:
I won't be supporting this one but I hope it succeeds as anything that's good for digital pinball preservation is worthwhile. I've bought all the table seasons up to now at full price, and supported three (IIRC) of their Kickstarters, but I'll sit this KS out. I'll definitely buy the next season as well, as it's a great game overall - but I have no real interest in an AC/DC pinball, and there are so many amazing Williams/Bally tables that haven't been done, that wouldn't have any crazy licensing requirements about them.

Are the tables they put on Kickstarter included in the seasons?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:37 
8-Bit Champion

lasermink wrote:

Yes (the Doctor Who table has not yet been released but all others have been)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:40 

zaphod79 wrote:
lasermink wrote:

Yes (the Doctor Who table has not yet been released but all others have been)

Well, that seems a bit daft to me, but I'm no business genius.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:59 
Hello Hello Hello

I guess the idea is that if you support the KS you're happy to secure the release of the table and your own copy, and don't mind if anyone else gets it 'for cheap' by just paying the normal £3 or gets it as part of the season.

I backed the TZ, Addam's Family and ST:TNG Kickstarters (think it was those three anyway) and I was quite content to have done my bit to help the KS succeed and get the tables, having everyone else then get them for £3 or as part of a season was fine, the more the merrier IMO.

In fact if you turn it around it'd be very-minded of them to say 'if you don't support the KS you don't get the table', I wouldn't be happy with that all, for the ones I'd either supported or hadn't, and it goes against the overarching principle of the Pinball Arcade project being one of the digital preservation of pinballs.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 19:14 
8-Bit Champion

And no explanation but the Kickstarter has just been cancelled

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... dc/updates

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 19:33 
Hello Hello Hello

Interesting. Nothing on their Facebook page from TPA themselves, but then again it has only been cancelled in the last hour, already quite a few comments though.

Attachment:
kicko.JPG

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:01 
Hello Hello Hello

Still nothing official on their Facebook page, although a couple of comments from other posters that suggests it's more than just an AC/DC licensing issue and may be the 'cabinet license', whatever that is.

The plot thickens a bit as they'd recently announced the Stern Pinball Arcade which was a tie-in with Stern and was apparently going to bring digital versions of new physical Stern tables to SPA at the same time as the real thing - and would be a separate branch from TPA. (With individual tables costing $9.99 so a lot more expensive than TPA tables.)

It all points to a further loss of focus IMO, and indeed what attracted people to TPA in the first place - silly Kickstarters, two products on the go at the same time, spending time and resources on this when there is still such a wealth of great tables from the 80s and 90s early 00s to digitise instead.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 20:14 
8-Bit Champion

Quote:
Thanks to the amazing reception that Stern Pinball Arcade has received, we’ve been able to enter into a new partnership that will allow us to fully fund this license without contributions from our loyal backer community! Development on the table can therefore start immediately, which will allow us to bring you this great table even sooner then we’d planned. We will release more information about this exciting development soon- stay tuned! Thank you so much for backing us! Without you, adding tables with premium licenses like this one would normally not be possible. We appreciate your loyalty to our products and your dedication to the art of pinball.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 20:16 
Hello Hello Hello

Hmmm, I sense PRICE RISES on the horizon and TPA becoming a second-tier product to SPA.

I hope I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 19:38 
Excellent Member

You're probably right. Also, it was announced shortly after Season 5 was over, so it will probably be awhile before new tables come.

BTW, did anyone tried the new UI? Slighly better, but still shit, and much worse than the one on PFX2.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 13:15 
Excellent Member

I've found this:

https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play

Apparently there's a place not far from where i live with 6 pinball machines (https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-t ... t-portugal)

I must go there soon, maybe today.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 13:16 
8-Bit Champion

Really old page and not often updated - i remember looking at it a while back for my area at the time (Fareham) and what it listed was all years old and no longer there.

Other countries / regions may be more up to date and the link you had was 'verified' a few weeks back which seems positive

(whereas the one near Fareham which is Hailing Island was last updated in 2012 , there is one near Oxford which was a single table in a pub and also last updated in 2012)

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 18:20 
Excellent Member

I just came back from the place and I had a blast. This is one arcade where i used to go when i was on the first year of college. Strange how it hasn't closed and looks exactly the same, and also huge and totally devoid of people. I wonder how it's still in business.

Loved the LOTR table which is the only "new" thing since those days. Also, 1€ gives 3 credits, which made me stay there playing for an hour and a half. Too bad the Space Jam, Simpsons and No Fear tables were broken.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:57 
Hello Hello Hello

Next table has been announced, another shonky old Gottlieb thing called 'TX SECTOR', from 1987.

It does have some really good 8-bit chip style music (which I guess was an add-on board for System 80), but even the reviewers who have a soft spot for the table readily admit it has a very simple ruleset, which as ever with these older Gottliebs is going to make it a poor proposition for TPA.

I mean, it's not really the designers' fault, it's well known that Gottlieb used to expect to get their tables out in around three months from start to finish, where Williams/Bally worked to around twelve months, and by crikey it shows. (And Williams/Bally always had the better tech, and more money to spend on toys and playfield features.)

I suspect TX SECTOR will get a handful of plays in TPA, get a good high score, and never return to it again.

Could look good if they get the the DX11 lighting right (and the work from TPA in that department is desperately uneven IMO), but that won't save this one from being a little played table IMO.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 14:42 
Hello Hello Hello

Great video here giving a rundown of the table itself, and also detailing some splendid additions this amusements made to the table before they sold it (extra GI bulbs, super-bright LEDs, some colour changes, more powerful upper flipper).

Splendid watch if you're really into pinball, you get to see under the playfield, into the backbox, and get an explanation of the rules. (Not that there's much to the rules....)

The music is fantastic, I'll give it that. (There's 10 minutes of pure TX SECTOR music at the end of the video.)

TNT Amusements' YouTube channel is a real treasure-trove actually, I've been watching his videos most of the day :D

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 19:29 
Excellent Member

That table looks beautiful. But what I really want is the lord of the rings tackle

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 20:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

RuySan wrote:
But what I really want is the lord of the rings tackle

No-one?

What about "you have my chopper"?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 23:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

"You have my pole"

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 0:06 
INFINITE POWAH

You have my delicious cocktail

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:47 
Hello Hello Hello

Oh right so everyone's posting to the pinball thread once there's some cock innuendo going on, eh?

If that's the level we're working on, as an introduction to the world of TPA I would therefore suggest you play 'SCARED STIFF', it's absolutely stuffed to the gunnels with smut. (Note, you need to purchase the PRO version of the table and turn off family mode in the operator menu.)

These are just the ones that got removed from family mode, there's a lot more in there... (For example, when collecting the 'Good Head' from the Deadheads of Malvern, Elvira saying 'My favourite!' is still in there, even in family mode, also admittedly fairly tame stuff like 'This'll scare the pants off ya...... I hope' is left in.)

Quote:
Upon starting The Stiff in the Coffin: After the "Get up! Whatsa matter, you dead or something? Watch this!" it's missing the final "I'll get him up!".

Upon scoring a lot of consecutive jackpots in Terror from the Crate or The Stiff in the Coffin: The random quote "Oooooh! I'm having multiple jackpots!" is replaced with a much tamer "Aaaaah....".

Upon collecting Shrunken Head: The game is silent instead of the quote "He always wanted a little head!".

Upon looping the Bony Beast ramp multiple times: The quote "Ugh, ride that bony beast!" is missing. (Or I didn't loop enough, but I'm pretty sure 5 in a row is enough.) Apparently the "that thing is huge!" and "...and ribbed, too!" quotes are also absent.

Upon scoring a large end-of-ball bonus: Elvira says "That was awesome!" instead of "That was a huge bone....us!"

Upon hitting the replay score: Elvira says "Free game!" instead of "Another notch for my bedpost."

When shooting the left ramp sometimes Elvira says "eyes of the boney breast...uh beast"

When collecting an extra ball originally Elvira takes the extra ball from her cleavage.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:05 
8-Bit Champion

However i'll point out that if you buy the normal table a lot of those are missing :-(

Elvira was one of my favorite real world tables , and the default TPA options are to have the 'adult' options turned off

To get all the above (plus various others) you need to buy the enhanced version which gets you access to the dip switches and turn on the adult option.

The one I always remember is from the stiff in the coffin multiball

Quote:
"Get up! Whatsa matter, you dead or something? Watch this!" it's missing the final "I'll get him up!".

where the "I'll get him up" (or on some tables / rom sets "This'll get him up" is missing on the default :-(

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:23 
Hello Hello Hello

TX SECTOR was released yesterday, as anticipated it gets very old, very quickly.

The TPA recreation isn't bad but even in shiny DX11 mode it doesn't really look all that, and the music, whilst excellent, will only take you so far.

There's pretty much fuck all to do on it really, once I'd bagged the high score I felt there was no reason to play it again.

Just watch the TNT Amusements video linked to above, that's about all the TX SECTOR anyone would ever need IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:38 
Hello Hello Hello

For the first time erm..... ever, Pinball Arcade has finally got a (long overdue) UI update. It's still not perfect but it's an improvement on what was there before, I think they've added in some extra challenge and multiplayer modes too but I never paid any attention to those before so maybe they were there before and I didn't notice.

Anyway, there are now several ways to look through your table collection without scrolling through a single LOOOOOOOOOONG list.

Oh yes and the Pinball Wizard track now has singing by someone who isn't Roger Daltrey.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:10 
Hello Hello Hello

Latest table is out and thankfully it's a Williams/Bally - this time the excellent Indianapolis 500. (One that I remember playing an awful lot in a local pub back in the day, back when pubs had pinballs and the world was a better place.)

Unfortunately it's also NEW SEASON TIME so that's another £29.99 I've dropped on the Pro version of the season. As this is now Season Six that'll be something in the region of £180 I've spent on this game! (I can't recall if all seasons have cost the same TBH, I think some of the early ones actually cost more as there were more tables in them.)

I don't begrudge them the cash at all as it's fantastic to be able to play so many great pinballs on an ongoing basis (rather less so all the Gottlieb shite), and I'm really looking forward to seeing what they add in the future - my only concern is that it's all digital and I have no way of making some sort of archive copy of it for the future. I assume Steam will be around for a while and I'll still be able to reinstall the game in future even if Farsight go bust, but as we've seen with the likes of Outrun Coast2Coast on Steam, it's quite possible for games to just disappear.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:45 
Excellent Member

Bought Season 3 at the last Steam Sale, and also bought a new monitor yesterday (Dell Ultrasharp u2414h). Well, it tilts vertically and looks like it was made to play this game. Looks absolutely glorious. Still don't know what to think of Season 3. Black Rose, Junkyard and Dracula all seem cool, but i have doubts about their longevity.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:53 
8-Bit Champion

RuySan wrote:
Bought Season 3 at the last Steam Sale, and also bought a new monitor yesterday (Dell Ultrasharp u2414h). Well, it tilts vertically and looks like it was made to play this game. Looks absolutely glorious. Still don't know what to think of Season 3. Black Rose, Junkyard and Dracula all seem cool, but i have doubts about their longevity.

Overall I was disapointed in S3 , and they do tend to have a mix of good and rubbish in there but for some people there will be tables they just dont get but i love because i played the original table in the past.

Season 3 list :

Fish Tales
Black Rose
Black Knight 2000
WHO Dunnit
High Speed
Junk Yard
Lights...Camera...Action!
High Roller Casino
Diner
Bram Stoker's Dracula

Of those Fish tales is the standout for me , with Black Knight and WHO Dunnit as the others I've put some time into.
Diner is 'okay' but it really is just a reskined Taxi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:06 
Hello Hello Hello

I will have the iced tea and the frankfurter.

Personally I've got a real soft spot for Black Rose, and Season 3 as a whole was OK I thought. Which was the one where they ran out of Willams/Bally licenses and started hosing out one fucking Gottlieb spunkbucket after another? Season 4? Arse end of Season 2? I can't remember. Either way it was shit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:36 
Excellent Member

The other day i found (actually it was my wife who found it) the Star Wars Data East table in some hipster bar in downtown Lisbon. It was very unexpected and i think i wasted 7€ on it. It was lovely. I have to add it to that pinball map.

Reply to topic  [ 820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next