Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dark Souls
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 22:09 
Gogmagog

If there ever was a sequence of events in a game before to drive me into the "Fuck you, this WILL NOT happen again" mode it was this:

I was hopping about Undead Burg, and there were several "If you need help, gimme a shout" things about. I ignored them, and concentrated on leveling up a few times. "i'm cool, I'm leveling up to make stabbywivvaspear better" I thought. On the next time around I got invaded, and killed, by an awesome player with lots of tactical knowhow.

Dark Souls offered me the help. I said "no". Dark Souls said "Fine, I offered. Deal with this".

Brilliant. It hates me, but I will defeat it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:11 
Terrible Human Being

PREPARE TO SPERM (OR THE FEMALE EQUIVALENT), Dark Souls 2 announced for X360, PS3 and PC!!!!!111

So it looks like either the quick, cheap and dirty PC port sold OK, or they can't be bothered being bombarded with really well written letters of protest from typewrite owners.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:22 
Bad Girl

I hope that's not the subtitle.

I couldn't tell if that video footage was live action or pre-rendered on my mobile. Still, SQUEE! Probably due 2015 or sommuts.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:25 
Bad Girl

I'd be happy with MOAR DLC. You hear me From? MORE DLC while we wait. Oh, and no easy mode for poofs, either. Just concentrate on making it awesome and hard.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:27 
Bad Girl

... like I said to you mum.

*ahem*

Oh, no ones around. Well the mum of the next person who posts.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 13:14 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

http://kotaku.com/5966786/here-is-dark- ... ut-trailer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 13:17 
Bad Girl

Yeah, your mum, Bobby!

Hashtag BURN!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 22:07 
Excellent Member

This is as good a place as any: I just started playing 3D Dot Game Heroes today (From Software's love letter* to the SNES version of Zelda) and you come across the 'From Cave' pretty early on which references Demon's Souls.

*By which I mean 'utterly shameless rip-off'.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:17 
Hibernating Druid

I have got to the DLC new area!

I am dead!

Hurrah!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:17 
Sleepyhead

I loaded this up again on Monday.

Ran around a bit and killed a few skellingtons. Was trying to get back to Capra Demon area, to give him another go with minimal armour so I could move more freely. Went past a tower that had a big knight at the top of it, and decided to go see if I could kill him.

Holy fucking shit this game has the worst camera angles of all time! The only way I could get up facing the right way was to have my view obscured by a massive wall. So I couldn't see him when he hit me. Despite having my shield up it staggered me straight away and he hit me one more time for the instakill.

It reminded me why I gave up on doing the Darkroot area. Effing walls obscuring the view just in time to die.

I can get that it's hard, and get that you need to die and boringly retrace your steps often, it's just the ridiculous cheap deaths due to the shoddy game engine that make this not worth it for me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:25 
Hibernating Druid

Those knights are tough though to be fair.

The camera never stopped me from spanking them though.

Poof.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 13:53 
Bad Girl

Nor me. I imagine you weren't blocking, stupido! :kiss:

Hang on, that guy doesn't start moving until you're right up top. You know you can move the camera with the right stick? :kiss: :kiss:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 14:13 
Hibernating Druid

I was woefully underprepared for my fight with Laurel and Hardy in Anor Londo last night.

Forgot the buggers can soak up spark damage. Luckily I had TWO phantoms helping me out so I actually had chance to reequip my pyro flame and toast the buggers.
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Also: Is it wrong that I quite enjoyed being killed by the Manticore in the DLC? It was just so nice seeing a new boss. :luv:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 14:37 
Sleepyhead

Saturnalian wrote:
Nor me. I imagine you weren't blocking, stupido! :kiss:

Hang on, that guy doesn't start moving until you're right up top. You know you can move the camera with the right stick? :kiss: :kiss:

I know you can. I was walking up the tower with my shield held up, and rotating the camera to try to ensure I could see him in time. As I was emerging, the camera decided to show me the inside of a wall. By the time it passed, he was swinging at me. The first blow hit my shield and staggered me; the second blow killed me before I had a chance to move or attempt to do anything.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 19:54 
Bad Girl

Sounds like a weird glitch. Ah well, stuff like this occassionally happens in most modern games. DS does struggle a little with tight corridors on occasion, mind. But then again I don't think I've seen a game that does a good camera in tight corridors; the camera always gets closer and closer to the character until it's almost in front.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 19:56 
Bad Girl

Zardoz wrote:
Also: Is it wrong that I quite enjoyed being killed by the Manticore in the DLC? It was just so nice seeing a new boss. :luv:

Me too. It was quite exciting seeing what they've done - the fear of the unknown comes rushing back.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:24 
Hibernating Druid

Several attempts later and I beat him! Excellent battle too.

Realised there was a little higher ground on the far side near the exit so used that to my advantage

New area is pretty and scary.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:16 
Bad Girl

Just mashed through the Prison of Hope on Demon's and skewered the boss. I done rocked. And by "mashed through" I mean died umpteen times and took ages.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 16:41 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Just got eaten by a fucking chest! Lol, amazing chest ahead! A fucking chest, all health gone in one go, FFS!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 17:41 
Paws for thought

Bobbyaro wrote:
Just got eaten by a fucking chest! Lol, amazing chest ahead! A fucking chest, all health gone in one go, FFS!

I had that marked as a trap, so it it.

I wouldnt trust any xhest you meet from now on. Although not common, Mimics hit quite hard.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 18:36 
Bad Girl

You can check if it's a fake by stabbing it. Do this with every chest from hereon in!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 23:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Saturnalian wrote:
You can check if it's a fake by stabbing it. Do this with every chest from hereon in!

Do a two-handed leaping death lunge rather than a stab, though.

Mimic chests are never quite squarely-placed on the floor.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:25 
Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

Do a two-handed leaping death lunge rather than a stab, though.

Mimic chests are never quite squarely-placed on the floor.

Plus they look slightly different -

Attachment:
mimic.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 22:07 
Paws for thought

Ok, so since there's a release to fix mouse and keyboard on the PC version, I thought I'd give it a go to see whether the game works with such a control scheme.

No. No it does not.

To say nothing of the other 'fixes' they've put in to make it more a PC game like which, yeah, somewhat ruin the balance and the tension.

On the other hand, I've started a game as a dirty Zardoz. It's rather fun being quite so weak. (And it amused me that I had got myself rather well equipped and well placed and had unlocked the firelink->Undead parish shortcut without ever visiting Undead burg. So yeah, I'm not in favour of limiting the games options in the early game.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 21:32 

I got loads of amazon vouchers, and as the 'prepare to die edition' is £18, I'm considering buying it. Is it worth it? Is it good enough for the price?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 23:21 
Paws for thought

Cookie197 wrote:
I got loads of amazon vouchers, and as the 'prepare to die edition' is £18, I'm considering buying it. Is it worth it? Is it good enough for the price?

Depends - Do you like games which require a certain amount of learning and experimentation to progress, and which hand your arse to you on a platter if you have not yet acquired the skills required (because you're almost certainly not going to have them to begin with)?

Can you cope with a game which is utterly unforgiving of mistakes? For example - No reverting to previous saves. Many actions cannot be undone and some have somewhat unfortunate consequences (e.g. attack an NPC). Easy to "lose" all the progress you've made.*although given that progress here is often more what you've learned than what you've earned, it's not so big a deal when you get your head around it.

Do you like games which reward exploration and investigation, and don't just put everything you need (including such things as plot) in front of you without said exploring.

Can you cope with a few rough edges in games which haven't received as large a budget as many AAA games?

If yes to all of the above: Buy it. It's really rather special indeed, and easily worth full price. Twice.

If no, then probably not worth so much.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 19:59 
Excellent Member

Just bought Dark Souls (PC version) with a Steam code (bought from Amazon.com for me by my brother in the US) and getting the fucking thing to work is like pulling fucking teeth.

Can you tell that I'm fucking annoyed? Damn right I am after farting around with this Windows Live POS for the past 3 fucking hours.

First, why is this fucking Windows Live shit required to play the fucking thing? Had to sign up with MicroShit, etc.

Secondly, even with Windows fucking Live installed the fucking thing just starts in a Window telling me to press the start button - which doesn't do a fucking thing.

So I do a bit of Googling and someone recommends uninstalling the Windows Live crap - which I do and now of course the game won't start at all.

So I try and separately re-download and re-install "microsoft games for windows live marketplace" - but that then says that it can't install.

For crying out loud.

Do I really need all this Microsoft Windows Live shit to play one damn game?

So, what to do?

Any ideas please?

Please excuse this irate message - I'm bloody annoyed!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 20:43 
Paws for thought

Windows 7?

You do need GFWL (it will crash without) as it handles various core functions, mainly multiplayer, unless someones hacked it to make it a non-requirement.

Talking of hacks: Highly recommended

And by start button, do you mean you plugged in a 360 pad, and pressed said button? (IF so, was the pad plugged in before starting the game)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 21:59 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:
Windows 7?

You do need GFWL (it will crash without) as it handles various core functions, mainly multiplayer, unless someones hacked it to make it a non-requirement.

So it's even required if I want to play single player?

Quote:
Talking of hacks: Highly recommended

Thanks, will try that once I get the sodding game working.

Quote:
And by start button, do you mean you plugged in a 360 pad, and pressed said button? (IF so, was the pad plugged in before starting the game)

The pad (a wireless Xbox 360 pad for the PC) was already switched on before I started the game. All buttons working too (I tested them via the pad's Windows properties).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 22:48 
Paws for thought

Four_Candles wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Windows 7?

So it's even required if I want to play single player?

Yeah - while multiplayer is the headline thing it does, it's far from the only thing.
On windows 7, you should be able to just use the live redistributable that came with Dark Souls, on 8 it's a bit more complicated.

Quote:
Quote:

The pad (a wireless Xbox 360 pad for the PC) was already switched on before I started the game. All buttons working too (I tested them via the pad's Windows properties).

Naively written input code leads to this problem in many games (Despite being important, this is often the area given to the new recruits...) but it is fixable
http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questio ... o-die-edit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 23:56 
Excellent Member

Many thanks for your help - I've removed the game and will re-download tomorrow from Steam and hope that it re-installs correctly. If not I'll have another mini-rant here. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 17:50 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave - got it working now thanks to your tips combined with an uninstall and complete reinstall.

Wow, what a time consuming hassle.

Also applied DSFix. :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 18:19 
Paws for thought

Hope you like the game. It's... somewhat divisive, but if it clicks expect to love it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:47 
Gogmagog

The Chain of Pain

A bunch of games reviewers chat to each other whilst playing Dark Souls before it gets released. Contains spoilers I weould have thought.

Quote:
Most of us would burn at least an hour on the Taurus Demon alone - the very first post-tutorial boss in the game - without realising that a simple exploit of his attack pattern can make him feel about as threatening as one of Fable's Hobbes. I'm glad I had to struggle. The victory was sweet. When he paid out that soul bonus, it felt like wages I'd earned from an honest day's work.

This fills me with hope again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 14:15 
Excellent Member

Continuing with what i said in the DS2 thread, there's another very un-japanese thing about this game which is the sparse exposition of the story. Keeps everything misterious and atmospheric. I usually hate many japanese games because of the idiotic storylines.

The simple but technical fighting and the graphical style also remind of the Gothic games.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:18 
Excellent Member

I gave up on this game. Some time ago i thought about rules that video games should follow to make boss fights fun. DS breaks all of these rules:

1º If you're good enough, the boss should be beatable on 1st try (no trial and error gameplay)
2º The boss weak point, if exists should be always reachable and hittable. No waiting for animations to fold out to hit the boss.
3º Boss fights should be short and intense (Metroid Prime may be the worst offender in this)
4º There should be checkpoints right before the boss fight

The Castlevania NDS games are a good example of well designed boss fights. I even do the boss runs on the game even though i'm usually not fond of the kind of challenges.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 21:37 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Dress up as one of the normal hollow enemies and wait to be invaded ....

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 21:48 
Bad Girl

That was an awesome find, Zaphod! Loved it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 21:28 

Started playing this on PC after the Humble Bundle thingymajob. It's so fucking addictive, isn't it? Until you hit the wall, that is. Never did finish the game on the PS3. This time I am playing as a yummy sorceress, if I do say so myself, maybe that'll be better luck?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:33 
Excellent Member

I'd always talked about fancying a go at Dark Souls just to see what the hype's about but not wanting to actually buy it because I was 99.9% sure I'd get frustrated and hate it due to my being crap. Well, it seems I'll get my wish because Steam keys for the 'Prepare to Die' edition are currently being given away for free here:

http://store.goldenjoystick.com/free-dark-souls

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:41 
Excellent Member

Also, is that DSFix utility still worth installing? I can't even remember what it did but it seemed to be recommended for the PC version at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:58 
Paws for thought

Bamba wrote:
Also, is that DSFix utility still worth installing? I can't even remember what it did but it seemed to be recommended for the PC version at the time.

Yes, if you want a graphical upgrade over consoles.

Although I wouldn't suggest enabling 60fps, due to the physics braking. Falling through floors isn't gun.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 13:05 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Yes, if you want a graphical upgrade over consoles.

Although I wouldn't suggest enabling 60fps, due to the physics braking. Falling through floors isn't gun.

I don't know if my ageing PC will actually offer any graphical upgrades but cool, I'll have a play around with it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 16:13 
Bad Girl

Man alive, Bamba playing Dark Souls... I can't think of anything worse.

Can we take bets on how long it takes for him to delete it - I'll have 1 hour 10 minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 16:27 
UltraMod

Saturnalian wrote:
Man alive, Bamba playing Dark Souls... I can't think of anything worse.

Can we take bets on how long it takes for him to delete it - I'll have 1 hour 10 minutes.

Considering he made his play through of The Last of Us sound like Dark Souls I'll go with 48 mins.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 16:29 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I reckon he'll do alright.. But only for 90 minutes. Put me down for that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 16:42 
Excellent Member

You'll have to wait for your results as the Steam key might not come in for up to a week and I'll almost certainly have started playing through something else by then.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 17:00 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Dark Souls isn't really in any way annoying until the GoatFucker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 17:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I reckon he'll complete it.

Faith!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 17:06 
Paws for thought

Cras wrote:
Dark Souls isn't really in any way annoying until the GoatFucker

I don't know. I see him bailing at the asylum demon.

Reply to topic  [ 2918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next