Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wii-U
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 14:07 
Bad Girl

It's had a Zelda release though, in the form of Wind Waker. And it's going to get another in the new year with Twilight Princess. Ports or remasters or whatever but it's still Zeldas. Or Zeldi.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 22:44 
Hello Hello Hello

Put a chunk of time into Fast Racing Neo this evening and it started handing my arse to me on a plate, even towards the backend of the novice cups >:( (Maybe I've been made soft with the 50cc cups in Mario Kart 8 whereas as long as you basically manage to stay awake, you'll get third or better, and if you're looking at the screen as well, you'll make first.)

The 'lean' control definitely comes a lot more into play (think air brake in Wipeout), and I've had to move entirely to using the four shoulder buttons rather than using 'X' for phase as it makes it a bit awkward for the hands. (Lean L, Lean R on ZL/ZR, shoulder L for phase, shoulder R for boost.)

It's a thrilling racing game, I don't even mind not getting third and having to try again, an entire cup is around 10-12 minutes and it's arguably a lot fairer than Mario Kart, whereby the blatantly cheaty AI often makes getting over the finishing line in first a flip of the coin on the higher skill levels. (There are no weapons in Fast Racing Neo and as best as I can tell thusfar, the AI ships don't have the ability to magically create boost out of their arseholes.)

Deffo a recommend if you've got a Wii-U and £10.99 going spare.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:47 
SavyGamer

Nintendo have as recently as the last couple of weeks reiterated that the new Zelda is definitely coming out on the Wii U. They have repeatedly sold the console on the promise of getting a Zelda game. To not release it on the Wii U would be a terrible business strategy, and an extremely un-Nintendo move.

I think it is extremely likely that there will be an NX version of it for launch, but that doesn't rule out a Wii U version. They have prior record of doing something very much like this with Twilight Princess.

I think it's 50:50 on whether the NX will have any backwards compatibility with the Wii U. It will hinge on their ability to offer it whilst still moving over to a more modern architecture, with ARM or x86 being the two most viable candidates, and I'd lean towards ARM given that they are talking about shipping software that will be compatible with both their handheld and home console. Although developing an SDK with robust support for ARM (for the handheld) and x86 (for the home console) would not be outside the realms of possibility.

Some kind of dynamic recompiling solution (similar to 360 games on the Xbox One) would make a lot of sense, but developing something like that is probably the kind of task that Nintendo would want to outsource to AMD or whoever.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 20:12 
Excellent Member

It would be a good idea if Nintendo started competing directly with the PS and the XBOX with the next generation. Nintendo always has the best exclusives, so it would be a first choice console for many people if third party multiplatform games started appearing on the console.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 20:56 
Paws for thought

The gamecube was a more powerful console than the ps2. Didn't mean it suddenly had a glut of multiformat titles.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:55 
Participant in dramatic games

ha heartuly sounds good.. will buy i then.. can we race eachother?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:42 

So I finally went and bought an Wii U. Included: An Mario Kart 8 + An Splatoon. Let's play!

I have been skimming through the thread and sending friends requests to all the IDs I could find. I want to befriend everyone on here, so if I missed yours, please send me a request! I am lasermink, don't you know.

I have to say, playing Mario Kart 8 with the gamepad does seem to give me a nasty cramp quickly. I hope I will be able to adapt. I'm also disappointed to find that the component output is pretty useless, especially for Wii games. I was hoping I would just be able to drop the Wii U in as a straight replacement for the Wii in my setup, but I'm going to have to get an HDMI hub now. Bah.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 13:14 

Man, Mario Kart looks nice in hi-def.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:29 
UltraMod

I haven't plugged mine back in since the cottage, but I'd be up for some Splatooning definitely

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 15:43 

I have been playing the quite generous demo of Pikmin 3. I haven't even been through the whole demo, but I know I am going to have to get it now.

In other news, I have been playing some more Mario Kart 8. If I rest the gamepad in my lap, I can play it reasonably comfortably, but the buttons could be in a better position. Apart from that, I find it far more enjoyable to play than Mario Kart Wii, for some reason.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 16:21 
Hello Hello Hello

Don't overlook the DLC for MK8 either, huge amount of fantastic content for a small amount of cash.

Rayman Legends is a thing of stunning beauty, if you like platform games. (And even if you don't, it's so amazingly awesome it would probably convert you.)

IIRC I got it for £15 from the online shop which made it quite one of the most bargainous gaming experiences of my life.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:24 

I am incredibly impressed with the gamepad. Not only does it feel like quality in your hands, but it seems to have no lag relative to my TV. According to Eurogamer the gamepad's lag is 2 frames, which is better than most people's TVs! On top of that, I haven't noticed any compression artefacts while playing Mario Kart apart from the reduced colour space, and I am usually very sensitive to this sort of thing.

And speaking of Mario Kart 8, it is the first Mario Kart I have enjoyed unconditionally, and it looks absolutely amazing. I haven't even played Splatoon yet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:30 

Oh, and being able to have a quick go at something or check out the Miiverse or whatever without having to switch on the TV has turned out to be more convenient than I thought it would be.

Oh, and oh, and accept my fucking friend requests you cunting shower of twats! Please?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:32 
Bad Girl

I take issue with "feels like quality in your hands" since it feels like a large plastic child's toy in your hands.

I've said it before as well but I don't like the stick and buttons on the right hand side being different from competitors joypads that have serviced us for a decade.

And that the touchscreen isn't a good or responsive touchscreen and requires a bloody stylus, like I've got enough hands to wield the typical button setup of a modern controller and wip out the stylus for finicky inventory management on the likes of ZombieU.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:35 

But it's so shiny! And it doesn't actually require the stylus, does it? It's just more accurate for games, and I prefer it anyway to avoid getting fingerprints all over the screen.

The analog sticks are more accurate than most gamepads IMO. The only thing I have a slight issue with is the position of the face buttons.

Edit: Changed convenient to accurate, since that is what I actually meant. Obviously, not using a stylus is the more convenient.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:39 
UltraMod

I happily use my fingers for the touchscreen. Very rarely use the stylus. I agree with Findus, it's a good piece of kit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:41 

Santanalian wrote:
I've said it before as well but I don't like the stick and buttons on the right hand side being different from competitors joypads that have serviced us for a decade.

I'm not actually sure what you mean by "competitor joypads", since Sony and Microsoft have done this in two quite different ways.

Edit: Ah wait, actually they did the right side of the pad the same way. They were still quite different overall, and the position of the right stick was never optimal IMO, so I think Nintendo did it better here, only it has compromised the position of the buttons, so swings and roundabouts I suppose.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:46 

Festive Warrior wrote:
I agree with Findus

Friend request retracted. :'(

Not really.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:55 
Bad Girl

I object! Although obviously it's a matter of preference at the end of the day to each individual but dropping my hand off the right stick to work the buttons feels much less natural than on a dual shock or Xbox controller. And having the primary input for games being the top button (I think. X or Y? Whatever the top one is on the WiiU pad)

The touchscreen is much less responsive to touch. I can remember having all sorts of irritations playing ZombieU trying to switch to a weapon. Dragging an item in the inventory screen was a massive fucking nuisance too. I haven't played Xenoblade much more than 10 minutes to find out whether it's a game thing or a touchscreen thing. It's gotta be the touchscreen though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:05 

Yeah, I just tried playing around with scrolling and stuff without the stylus, and it does seem less responsive than your usual tablet screens. So it is a similar problem as with the 3DS, it's up to the game designers to ensure that you don't have to switch between using accurate or dragging touch functions and the right hand side controls all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 18:41 

Played a bit with the ZombiU demo. It was clearly designed to be used with your fingers and doesn't work if you have to fiddle around with the stylus. On the other hand, I had absolutely no problems playing with my fingers. :shrug:

Very nice interface, I thought, but the graphics look a bit dated. I only played a little bit and will try again at a later date, but I'm not really convinced by what I've seen so far.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 20:32 
UltraMod

lasermink wrote:
Festive Warrior wrote:
I agree with Findus

Friend request retracted. :'(

Not really.

Hahaha whoops! Sorry dude. :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:27 

I tried the Wonderful 101 demo, and was presented with the Gamepad's vibration feature for the first time. They basically just stuck a mobile phone vibration unit in there. Useful for haptic feedback, but games really shouldn't attempt to use it for rumble, because that is very, very poor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:44 

Saturnalian wrote:
It's had a Zelda release though, in the form of Wind Waker. And it's going to get another in the new year with Twilight Princess. Ports or remasters or whatever but it's still Zeldas. Or Zeldi.

if it would be Zeldo (male), it would be Zeldi,

Zelda plural would be Zelde (in italian) or Zeldae (in latin)

@lasermink, did i accept your friendrequest?
Maybe time for a mariokart evening soonish? next monday?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 13:37 

romanista wrote:
@lasermink, did i accept your friendrequest?
Maybe time for a mariokart evening soonish? next monday?

Doesn't appear you did, no. I've sent a new one, just in case.

I'm totally up for some Mario karting next Monday!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 13:39 
UltraMod

I could do Monday.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:46 
SavyGamer

Look like serious progress has been make with Wii U hacking. Appears as though people have gained Kernel access, so hopefully there will soon be a lot of fun things you can do with your Wii U once you have hacked it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:11 
Hello Hello Hello

What 'fun things' will it do that it can't do now?

Mine plays Nintendo games which is all I got it for really.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:27 
SavyGamer

"Run unsigned code" would be a good catch all term I guess.

Once people make apps to do this sort of stuff, you'll be able to rip your discs to an external hard drive/SD card and load them from that (there is basic backup support via existing hacks).

There can be emulators made using the full system resources, not running in the Wii BC mode, so they'll have improved performance and such. This also means emulators will be playable with the Gamepad. It's likely that people will be able to inject other roms into the official VC emulators, too.

Possibly getting Gamecube games playable on the Gamepad. Maybe making Wii games that are not compatible with the Gamepad work too.

Who knows what else really. It'll be a matter of what the community come up with.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:25 

You can make a Nintendo Account now. Using your NNID as a log-in if you have one. Yes, a 'proper' account system, or at least the first step to one - there must be a catch in there somewhere, seeing as this is Nintendo.

http://accounts.nintendo.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 14:15 

I made an account now too, but why couldn't they upgrade the NNID i wonder? And what am i supposed to do with it.. (just to do something i preregister for that miimoto app , even it doesn't really seem to be my cup of tea)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 16:00 
Bad Girl

Bloody WiiU updates are worse than PS updates. I only want to play Pikmin and I've had 3 updates each requiring me to press "OK" before and after the update. I'd wandered upstairs hoping it's sort it self out and came back and it was just waiting for me to click OK. Bloody thing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 18:48 
Bad Girl

Pikmin 3 is bloody lovely. I skipped Pikmin 2, for some reason, despite really enjoying Pikmin uno. So far Pikmin 3 has been a little slow and simple going but it still retains that awesome mechanic where you lose all your Pikmin outside the onion when night falls. You get a slow 10 count and I've found myself shouting at the little twats to get a move on or I'll fuck off without them. It's surprisingly exciting stuff. Well, if excitement was taking place in a big bowl of treacle. It hasn't really moved on much since Pikmin, mind, from what I've played.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 14:16 

Pikmin 3 is lovely, i should return to it soon.. (been saying that to myself for a year now)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 14:18 
Paws for thought

I could only get as far as the first village.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 14:19 
UltraMod

Mr Dave wrote:
I could only get as far as the first village.

I had this problem recently with Animal Crossing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:54 

love at the nintendo direct, and kind of liked the sight of star fox guard.. sort flasher squad nintendo style with level editor
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... -not-alone

and suite a few new new things

paper mario
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... -u-in-2016

and rio olympics mario has rugby..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:59 
SavyGamer

Bit disappointing how little the environments in this paper mario look like they are made of paper.

Spoiled by Tearaway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:02 

oh and i did like the look of this http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... e-revealed
Lost Reavers...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:49 

QUIESTION, I see that smash bros is almost half price now... it's very big though.. is there a way to expand the harddrive with a usb stick, instead of getting a whole 1TB hard rive for it for 40quid (which i never will fill i presume)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 13:09 
EvilTrousers

romanista wrote:
QUIESTION, I see that smash bros is almost half price now... it's very big though.. is there a way to expand the harddrive with a usb stick, instead of getting a whole 1TB hard rive for it for 40quid (which i never will fill i presume)

Yes. I have a 32Gb USB stick in the back of mine which works fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 15:08 

ah perfect.. that is what i wanted to know

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 15:43 
SavyGamer

Nintendo advise against pen drives because they're not really designed for long term constant read/write, and there's a reasonably chance of data corruption.

I think they are probably being overcautious.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 20:12 

It seems to work. I asked because ivread the warnings

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 20:38 
UltraMod

LewieP wrote:
Nintendo advise against pen drives because they're not really designed for long term constant read/write, and there's a reasonably chance of data corruption.

I think they are probably being overcautious.

I've got a 128GB that I've used for about a year, no issues as of yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 20:49 
SavyGamer

The real question is why on earth can't you use the SD card slot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 20:58 
UltraMod

LewieP wrote:
The real question is why on earth can't you use the SD card slot.

Don't start on that. I bought a 64GB SD card to use as storage, then I find out after you can only use it for Wii saves. :S

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 21:33 
SavyGamer

But if you take that same SD card and put it in a USB adapter, it's magically allowed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 23:30 
UltraMod

LewieP wrote:
But if you take that same SD card and put it in a USB adapter, it's magically allowed.

:blown:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:29 
Hello Hello Hello

Only two first-party games left for the Wii-U, only one of which is really of interest to me. (Zelda, of course.)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... -u-and-3ds

Admittedly my Wii-U isn't really getting much use these days and hasn't for a while, but nonetheless my overall feelings towards the console are very positive. Maybe I just like the plucky underdogs which don't do as well as they deserve. See also, Dreamcast.

Reply to topic  [ 783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next