Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 13:52 
Excellent Member

It would appear that on my PC Windows 10 Sleep means shut the PC down

Anyone else seen this ?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 15:27 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

My PC goes to sleep but it won't wake up no matter what I press so yeah, it may as well shut down.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:23 
Hello Hello Hello

Microsoft can fuck off with how aggressively they're trying to push Windows 10 onto PCs.

It did a completely unwanted background download of 3GB onto my daughter's laptop, which doesn't sound like much but it only has a 120GB SSD in it with less than 10GB of free space. (I had to use the disk cleanup tool to get that space back. Thanks!)

They've pushed out multiple 'Recommended' Windows 7 updates that have increasingly ramped up the 'in your face' aspect of the Windows 10 push, we've gone from an icon in the taskbar and the occasional small popup balloon, to a massive window slapbang in the middle of the screen with a big PRESS THIS BUTTON TO GET FREE WINDOWS 10 arrangement which makes an unwelcome appearance every time you turn a computer on.

They've also now replaced the normal Windows Update window with an UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 button, you have to click on a small 'Show other updates' link to get to the normal Windows updates, and this morning the only normal Windows Update being offered is 'Recommended' and looking into what it actually does (before installing it, because I don't trust Microsoft any more) is...... Install the Windows 10 app which apparently helps users to understand their Windows 10 upgrade options.

If any other software behaved like this you'd damn near call it malware.

The only PC I'm concerned about being properly infected with an upgrade to Windows 10 is Mrs Hearthly's PC, as she's got an Administrator account on there so it'll let her do it (she is under STRICT INSTRUCTION not to do this), all the other computers in the house Mrs Hearthly and Hearthly Jnr only have normal user accounts, and the upgrade to Windows 10 will fail if it's launched from a normal user account. (I know this because the bedroom media centre PC has about fifty eight million failed upgrade attempts logged on it, thanks to Hearthly Jnr.)

Obviously I have Administrator accounts on all the computers but unless Microsoft actually mind control me I won't be pressing the 'upgrade' button on any of them, but it's still annoying and it makes me want to stick with Windows 7 until it goes end of life in 2020 all the more.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:29 
Excellent Member

Yeah, that does sound like pretty shitty behaviour on their part. That said, you should upgrade as Windows 10 is very nice.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I told it to go away on my work PC, and it went away.

:shrug:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:12 
Unpossible!

Loads of help here but it may be out of date.

It never bothered me on my win7 enterprise install :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:15 
Bad Girl

I told it to go away and several weeks later IT CAME BACK. So I clicked a button and it went away. Took me all but a click. I should really upgrade though, but I'm scared. Scared of change. Scared of progress. Scared of Spider-Man.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:16 
Bad Girl

That's a lovely autocorrect. I wonder what I was aiming for.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:20 
Unpossible!

Saturnalian wrote:
Scared of Spider-Man.

Me too. Creepy fucker.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:41 
Excellent Member

It's obviously just trolling the shit out of Hearthly for shits and giggles.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:54 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
I told it to go away on my work PC, and it went away.

:shrug:

But I don't really want to tell it to go away, because I will most likely be upgrading within that one year window (as per my earlier posts to this thread), and when I do that I'll upgrade every PC/laptop in the house (seven in total) so there's a consistent user experience across all of them (particularly important for Hearthly Jnr).

I'm just waiting for the early gremlins to be ironed out and the real push will be when something proper happens with DX12 (as opposed to synthetic benchmarks).

I didn't mind it when it was a popup balloon and an icon in the taskbar, it's the way it's progressively been made more aggressive that gets on my tits, to the extent that they're installing 'readiness apps', sucking down gigabytes of installation files, and actively changing the behaviour of the current operating system in what I can only assume is a slightly underhand way of trying to get more Windows 10 installations out there (replacing Windows Update with GET WINDOWS 10, and even putting a button that will start the upgrade process where previously was a button that installed normal Windows updates).

There's no need for it guv'nor.

Attachment:
sneaky.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:03 
Hello Hello Hello

And another fucking update already, now they're just taking the piss.

Attachment:
again.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:04 
Unpossible!

:D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:09 
Excellent Member

Lollo-rosso.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:14 
Bad Girl

He's chucking his Win 10 muck all over your ram.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 14:51 
Sitting balls-back folder

There's a single update that does all of that. kb3038853 or something. Google 'remove windows 10 notification'

Uninstall it and hide it.

They do seem to reissue it once a month so it needs re-hiding.

Meanwhile, using windows 10 on multiple machines, a mix of rtm and insider fast ring, is fine. Only shitty anti-virus and VPN clients seem problematic.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:19 
Excellent Member

Been using a while now and finding it ok. Still a bit buggy though, every now and again I press the Windows key to find something and the search is blank until I reboot.

Also finding some of the apps piss me off, at first I loved the photo app as I sign in with an MS account and it showed all my OneDrive pictures, but when I try to share pictures the only options I get is Twitter and the Mail App. I use Outlook to read mail and there is no option for that.

All in all its better that I thought and I’m happy enough with it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 16:09 

I upgraded from Windows 7 and am generally very happy with it. It might be a trick but it certainly feels like it boots up way quicker and big applications like Office 2010 feel more solid. Other than a regular nag begging me to 'Install typing features' which I can't find any information about or stop I've had no real qualms. Even the flat, simple look of the interface isn't annoying me as much as I feared: I've found I don't miss the glossy icons and flashy window borders. The calculator app is hideous, however.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 16:19 
Excellent Member

Kern wrote:
I upgraded from Windows 7 and am generally very happy with it. It might be a trick but it certainly feels like it boots up way quicker and big applications like Office 2010 feel more solid. Other than a regular nag begging me to 'Install typing features' which I can't find any information about or stop I've had no real qualms. Even the flat, simple look of the interface isn't annoying me as much as I feared: I've found I don't miss the glossy icons and flashy window borders. The calculator app is hideous, however.

Just had a look at the calculator and your right!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 16:23 

I am pondering selling my iMac and swapping to a laptop. My default choice is a MacBook Pro, but I can't think of a single reason that I shouldnt be considering the Surface Book; conversely, I can think of a couple of reasons the SB is superior. Interesting times.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 16:31 
Gogmagog

If I can run 7, I can run 10, right? Will it remove all my pictures and stuff? Will it get rid if this ad ware?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 18:17 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
If I can run 7, I can run 10, right?

Almost certainly. I think there's a checker thing as part of the 'get Windows 10' app which will check for sure.

MaliA wrote:
Will it remove all my pictures and stuff?

No. But, of course, you've got backups anyway so it doesn't matter.

MaliA wrote:
Will it get rid if this ad ware?

Almost certainly not. If you can't get rid of it it you really should just reformat and reinstall your OS as having something like that around is a bad idea and carrying it into a an OS upgrade seems especially dodgy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 20:04 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
If I can run 7, I can run 10, right? Will it remove all my pictures and stuff? Will it get rid if this ad ware?

There is a way to get an full image of the Windows 10 upgrade and so a full rebuild, bets to do that if you have adware, or run a removal tool and do the upgrade

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 21:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The calculator is brilliant, fools. Look at all the stuff it can do now!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 21:34 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

It is brilliant except it makes me click on it after pressing the calculator button on my keyboard before I can use it. With Windows 7, I could press the calculator button then tap away on my number pad and it worked. It no longer does this.

Not a massive problem mind you...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 22:00 

Grim... wrote:
The calculator is brilliant, fools. Look at all the stuff it can do now!

Having all the unit conversions on the main menu is great, but it looks worse than the Amiga Workbench one:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 22:03 

I always get needlessly annoyed when people at work get up from their computer to find a calculator.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 22:58 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

TheVision wrote:
the calculator button on my keyboard

8)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 23:48 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Cras wrote:
TheVision wrote:
the calculator button on my keyboard

8)

I think it's very useful. Look, it's right there above the number pad. You can do your sums and stuff with minimal movement of your right hand (unless you want to clear the screen then you have to press ESC)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I've got a calculator button too, and I use it. But I don't have to click it to start typing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:30 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

That's annoying. Every time I press the button it loads the calculator, but it seems to be in the background so I have to click it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:34 

Doesn't do that on mine, keyboard-twin.

Did you get/let it install the new version of the keyboard bloat balls?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:34 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I don't think it installed anything to do with the keyboard when I upgraded to Windows 10. It had previously installed things so yeah, maybe I should check it's all up to date.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 14:53 

I got things through the driver update part of Update, but I don't think i had them on before. So maybe they weren't actually new versions.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 14:54 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
MaliA wrote:
If I can run 7, I can run 10, right?

Almost certainly. I think there's a checker thing as part of the 'get Windows 10' app which will check for sure.

MaliA wrote:
Will it remove all my pictures and stuff?

No. But, of course, you've got backups anyway so it doesn't matter.

MaliA wrote:
Will it get rid if this ad ware?

Almost certainly not. If you can't get rid of it it you really should just reformat and reinstall your OS as having something like that around is a bad idea and carrying it into a an OS upgrade seems especially dodgy.

Cheers. Will do that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 14:57 
Esoteric

I was given one of these the other day.

Asus G73SW. Even though it's got to be three years old or so it's still a bit of a beast. Running an I7 with 8gb ram and what equates to a GTX 460 for a GPU. I gave it a thorough clean the other day (it had been sitting under the bed for around 18 months) and am just wondering if I could install Win 10 on it.

Microsoft say you need 16gb of free space on your hard drive. What they don't specifiy is whether that is with your original OS (however big that may be). I'm currently running 7 HP.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 20:03 
Hello Hello Hello

I finally hid the Windows 10 upgrade 'notifications' (MEGA SPLASH SCREEN) and icons on all PCs in the house because they were starting to get annoyingly intrusive, however I couldn't be arsed doing the bedroom 'media centre PC' (which is actually an old laptop connected to a telly via HDMI) because it's the least used computer in the house.

However, there's been a raft of standard WSUS updates the last couple of days and because I get dreadfully OCD about it ALL COMPUTERS IN THE HOUSE must be brought up to date.

So the 'bedroom media centre PC' is now displaying the latest tactic from MS to encourage me to upgrade.

ONE HUNDRED AND TEN MILLION!

It's almost like spam now, except delivered direct to your Windows PC - BY MICROSOFT.

Attachment:
hasso.JPG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 17:55 

Soooo... Turn it off, then?

People moaned about how expensive windows was (then copied it off their mates). Then they moaned that they stopped you copying it off your mates.

Now they moan that they're giving it away.

Should be funnier.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 18:41 
Hello Hello Hello

BikNorton wrote:
Soooo... Turn it off, then?

People moaned about how expensive windows was (then copied it off their mates). Then they moaned that they stopped you copying it off your mates.

Now they moan that they're giving it away.

Should be funnier.

That would kind of work if I'd ever actually moaned about the first three things on your list.

Plus I'm not moaning about them giving Windows 10 away for free (except they're sort of not really, since it's only if you're upgrading from Vista/7/8), I'm moaning about the behaviour described in my earlier posts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 18:55 
Esoteric

Well I've had the laptop up and running for a few days now and nothing to do with Windows 10. So I guess it thinks the laptop isn't compatible or something.

Probably for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 18:55 
Esoteric

Well I've had the laptop up and running for a few days now and nothing to do with Windows 10. So I guess it thinks the laptop isn't compatible or something.

Probably for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:49 
Can you dig it?

I tried to install Windows 10 on the little Revo HTPC and it failed. Once I finally boot-cycled enough times to get it to show an error message (seems that it's probably an unsigned driver or something).

The PC recovered itself back to Windows 7, as if nothing had happened, and it carries on working just as it did before the botched upgrade attempt. I was quite impressed by that actually.

I'll have another go at some point.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:08 
Hello Hello Hello

PC Pro certainly pushing Windows 10 hard this month.

In all fairness they do say it's a great OS, far better than 8/8.1 and a good upgrade to 7, but also that there's loads of annoying stuff still wrong with it.

Apparently I have until July next to year to upgrade for free, so on balance I'll wait a while longer.

It says there isn't even an easy way to see which of your windows is active at the moment, but it's due to get patched in.

Attachment:
fix10.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:25 

What? Have they actually ever used windows? 'The one on top' works quite well, and so does 'the one highlighted in the task bar'

Fall update, the first big one, should be out this week; from keeping VMs and a HP stream 7 on the latest Insider builds it's tweaking up a lot of the details nicely. Nothing really different, just solidifying it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:45 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm just reporting the news, man.

Attachment:
news.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 13:06 

They're really grasping to make 20.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 13:17 
Hello Hello Hello

A quick Google on the problem suggests PC Pro haven't just fished it out of their arseholes, there are a fair few folks out there grumbling about it. (Plus MS are apparently patching it, so it's not 'nothing'.)

Remember PC Pro aren't claiming that the whole OS is a write-off (quite the opposite in fact), they're identifying a list of common problems and offering explanations plus workarounds for them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 13:20 

I'm just a bit confused by it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 13:24 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I'm amazed that a more convenient place to balance a magazine wasn't available.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 13:29 

Ha!

Reply to topic  [ 1116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next