Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Election 2015
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 15:12 

This is quite possibly the best story of the election.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 15:13 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Kern wrote:
This is quite possibly the best story of the election.

The best bit is that I recalled the result correctly after a week of pretty hard alcohol abuse on my part.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 15:13 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

There's been enough reporting of it that I really hope the guy comes forward and owns up. That'd be ace. Them two in a joint photo op - glorious.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 15:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

"Nigel Farage is to stay on as leader of UKIP after his resignation was rejected unanimously by the party."

WTF?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/election-2015-32686527

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 15:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Quote:
UKIP chairman Steve Crowther said in a statement: "As promised Nigel Farage tendered his official resignation as leader of UKIP to the NEC. This offer was unanimously rejected by the NEC members who produced overwhelming evidence that the UKIP membership did not want Nigel to go.

"He has therefore been persuaded by the NEC to withdraw his resignation and remains leader of UKIP," the chairman added.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 15:53 
sneering elitist

How convenient.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 15:54 

Well, they know that they are literally nothing without him.

Despite knowing little about him it seems a shame that Dan Jarvis decided he won't stand for Labour leadership although his reasons seem very understandable. Still, I'd have liked to have seen how the Tory press would have handled him being leader of the opposition.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 15:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Full statement here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32696505

It's not exactly long, so:
Quote:
Nigel Farage is to remain as UKIP leader after the party rejected his resignation.
Mr Farage said he would stand down after failing to win a seat in last week's general election.
But the party said there was "overwhelmingly evidence" the UKIP membership did not want Mr Farage to go.
It said: "He has therefore been persuaded to withdraw his resignation and remains leader of UKIP."

That old "overwhelmingly evidence", eh?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 16:11 
Decapodian

It's a perfectly cromulent reason. He does embiggen their party.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 16:34 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:
Quote:
UKIP chairman Steve Crowther said in a statement: "As promised Nigel Farage tendered his official resignation as leader of UKIP to the NEC.

Proper weasel words. He didn't promise to tender his resignation, he promised to step down.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 16:35 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Try explaining to the wife 'As promised I phoned the restaurant to take you out for dinner for your birthday. They were busy though, so instead you'd better get cooking'

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 16:42 
Gogmagog

"I just pity him. I don’t have any anger towards him, I’ll be honest with you. I pity him for having to stoop to that kind of level and being that desperate. That desperation was quite evident....A huge amount of it was sexist. Having my marriage questioned, that was sexist. That was politics at its worst."

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 17:43 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

I don't know why we make such a big fuss over voting for policies. It's the things that aren't in the manifesto that you need to watch out for

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -live.html
Quote:
10.44 Nervous times for the BBC

Christopher Hope reports on the new Culture Secretary:

One of the BBC’s biggest critics has been made Culture secretary in a move which will be seen as an effective declaration of war on the Corporation.

John Whittingdale, who was the chairman of the Culture, Media and Sport, has been made Culture secretary in David Cameron’s Cabinet reshuffle.

Mr Whittingdale has been a notable critic of the BBC, and particularly its licence fee.

Just last October Mr Whittingdale he said the licence fee was “worse than the poll tax” and is “unsustainable” in the long term.

The appointment comes at a key time for the BBC as the Corporation’s royal charter which sets out its terms of business is set to be renewed next year.

Senior Downing Street sources said they were “furious at the BBC’s coverage” of the campaign and accused the BBC of an “unforgiveable pro-Labour bias”.

Mr Whittingdale made clear his support for fundamental change to the way the corporation is funded last October

Saying he did not believe the £145.50 a year licence fee would survive in its current form in the next few decades, he said: “I think in the long term it's unsustainable.

"I think most people, almost everybody, accepts that the licence fee as it currently stands need some tweaking to sort out anomalies.

“People’s viewing habits have changed and it needs to reflect that. That’s a very simple change and I think people see that.

“You then have the question of whether or not it should remain a flat poll tax, collected through some fairly draconian measures, and whether it should still be criminally enforceable.

“Government has already announced consultation on decriminalisation. I’ve been looking at other countries and I think there's quite an attractive option of linking it to a specific household tax - maybe council tax.

“I think in the longer term we are potentially looking at reducing at least a proportion of the licence fee that is compulsory and offering choice.”

(Well, the 2015 manifesto says they will "Freeze the BBC licence fee, to save you money" then later add "pending Charter renewal". Not the same thing, is it?)

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 18:52 
Legendary Boogeyman

Dave Miliband talks about the Labour campaign. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32697212

TL;DR. Ed sucked balls.

But you know, I reckon if a by-election popped up in a couple of years in a safeish Labour seat, things could get interesting.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 18:59 
Legendary Boogeyman

MaliA wrote:

He really is quite the disgusting misogynist. By all measures he's been a complete bastard to all of his ex-wives. And to think he makes such a big deal about the fact he doesn't drink, puffing giant cigars all the while. Utter twat.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 20:00 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
Dave Miliband talks about the Labour campaign. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32697212

TL;DR. Ed sucked balls.

But you know, I reckon if a by-election popped up in a couple of years in a safeish Labour seat, things could get interesting.

Can't see that another Milliband leading the party into the next election would feel like a good play.

Also, in 2020, no Cameron leading the tories. Given BoJo, a lot of potential leaders may consider the current term and next election to be a poisoned chalice.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 20:32 
INFINITE POWAH

Quote:
Can't see that another Milliband leading the party into the next election would feel like a good play.
Quite.

I may put a few quid on Tristram Hunt.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 20:58 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Finally someone has put it into words for me.

Not that I wanted Labour to win, but the way to deal, pick your battles, and generally approach political disagreement.

Of course I'm sure that in five years time, no lessons will have been learned.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 21:07 
Sleepyhead

markg wrote:
Well, they know that they are literally nothing without him.

Despite knowing little about him it seems a shame that Dan Jarvis decided he won't stand for Labour leadership although his reasons seem very understandable. Still, I'd have liked to have seen how the Tory press would have handled him being leader of the opposition.

Yeah, he seems like a top chap. I imagine there's dirt on him somewhere though. There's dirt on everyone.

A tip of the hat to Cavey and EBG for being more gracious in victory and better at explaining their choices than most conservative voters. God I've seen some shit on Facebook that has legitimately made me angry!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 22:50 
Sleepyhead

Trooper wrote:
I honestly don't see any downsides to being in the EU. I'm missing something obvious if so many people don't want to be part of it. :shrug:

Immigrants! Immigrants! Immigrants!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 23:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Galloway "has evidence of malpractice", apparently.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general ... efeat.html

Quote:
Controversial former MP George Galloway has signalled that he is starting a legal challenge against his defeat in last week's general election. [...] In a statement tonight, he said: "It has come to my notice that there has been widespread malpractice in this election, particularly over postal voting.
"We are in the process of compiling the information which will form part of our petition to have the result set aside."

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 23:47 
Legendary Boogeyman

Tbh I think both me and Cavey would agree that the result is more of a general relief than a cause to gloat. It's not like the government is a perfect entity to be particularly celebrated, even if 'your' party won it. Given the choices this was definitely better than minimal Miliband + SNP shenanigans, in which case phew.

I still think I'd vote Lib Dem first before Labour in the future, and the next 5 years are going to be a real test for everyone involved. Miliband MkII might not come back to lead but he might pop himself back in an MP seat.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:03 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Galloway "has evidence of malpractice", apparently.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general ... efeat.html

Quote:
Controversial former MP George Galloway has signalled that he is starting a legal challenge against his defeat in last week's general election. [...] In a statement tonight, he said: "It has come to my notice that there has been widespread malpractice in this election, particularly over postal voting.
"We are in the process of compiling the information which will form part of our petition to have the result set aside."

The local paper is reporting that any complaint is yet to be lodged.

Quote:
Bradford Council bosses, who ran the election, said they had so far received no such complaints from him or his team.

Suzan Hemingway, acting Returning Officer, said: "We are disappointed that, if Mr Galloway thought there was postal vote fraud, he didn't report this before the Bradford West election result. We have not received any communication from Mr Galloway or his office regarding concerns about postal vote fraud or any proposed legal challenge in relation to the Bradford West election result."

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, as the spectre of postal voting fraud has always loomed large there.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:48 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
Cavey wrote:
In fairness though Mali, 20/20 hindsight and all that?

if people knew tuition fees would go up, they would not have gotten so many seats. It was the main cause of the party's popularity. much more than a shitty referendum.

https://twitter.com/BBCr4today/status/5 ... 8046024704

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:55 

Grim... wrote:
"Nigel Farage is to stay on as leader of UKIP after his resignation was rejected unanimously by the party."
Maybe we could make UKIP go away if we resigned from the EU, then quietly re-joined a few days later.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:33 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Cavey wrote:
In fairness though Mali, 20/20 hindsight and all that?

if people knew tuition fees would go up, they would not have gotten so many seats. It was the main cause of the party's popularity. much more than a shitty referendum.

https://twitter.com/BBCr4today/status/5 ... 8046024704

"We've learnt a massive lesson and I don't think we'll ever make that mistake again".

So you're never put anything in absolutes? :P

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:56 

I've just checked and as far as I can see the SNP have no members in the House of Lords. I wonder if they will be appointing some members now.

Of course, we really need to institute a 'one-out; one-in' rule to stop the already bloated Upper House getting any bigger, but I'm surprised they aren't already in there. UKIP have 3 and Plaid have 2.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:14 

Guardian: How the Conservatives won the media air war. Seems to echo other criticism of Labour's lacklustre campaigning.

Also: look at Boris's meatpaws in the pic. Blimey.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 13:37 
Unpossible!

This is interesting

A "who came second?" map

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/ ... png&w=1484

Edit: The Reddit thread I got it from has found a few errors, so pinch of salt needed.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 13:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That's a lot of purple.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 13:52 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Second comes right after first!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:57 
Gogmagog

http://m.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/new ... _election/

More intrigue!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:48 

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2015/05 ... ish-values

Quote:
This is how David Cameron will address the National Security Council today:

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."

Even more sinister if you drop the adverb: "For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."

This would seem to suggest that now, if you've done nothing wrong, you do have something to fear.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:56 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

"The government defines extremism as 'the vocal or active opposition to fundamental British values, including democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and the mutual respect and tolerance of different faiths and beliefs'. We also regard calls for the death of members of our armed forces as extremist.”

This is like my contract which references the HR policy, but no one has seen the HR policy; which can be updated without modification to my contract. I can't help but feel that the definition of extremism should be a legally binding description, which is upheld by law. Strangely enough this sounds like British values, in fact I would say that sneaky laws with back doors is actually anti-British values and more akin to those one might find in more extreme/corrupt countries like Iraq/Iran and soviet Russia.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:58 

There is something of the 'who will rid me of this troublesome priest' about all this.

And I'm fairly sure that we already have pretty tight laws in place on this kind of thing. It's how they are exercised that's the issue.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 13:01 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Bobbyaro wrote:
"The government defines extremism as 'the vocal or active opposition to fundamental British values, including queuing, tea first then milk, and discussing the weather'.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 13:17 
Legendary Boogeyman

People that put milk first have no place in a decent society.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 13:29 

Bobbyaro wrote:

This is like my contract which references the HR policy, but no one has seen the HR policy; which can be updated without modification to my contract. I can't help but feel that the definition of extremism should be a legally binding description, which is upheld by law. Strangely enough this sounds like British values, in fact I would say that sneaky laws with back doors is actually anti-British values and more akin to those one might find in more extreme/corrupt countries like Iraq/Iran and soviet Russia.
Yes. I am profoundly disturbed by the modern trick of passing vague and open-minded laws that allow the administration to cherry-pick convictions against those it takes a dislike to while ignoring others. In this country, the legislature is supposed to act in harmony with the judiciary, not ride roughshod over it whenever it likes.

This criticism applies just as much to Blair's government as it does to Cameron's.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 13:48 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grayling's legacy is very much that the legislature really, really doesn't like being told it's not allowed to do stuff by the judiciary.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 13:51 
Legendary Boogeyman

Oh look, new SNP MPs (and others) ambling around London confused by the crazy fangled ways of the capital: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32721006

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 13:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Saw someone on twitter yesterday say "around the streets of Westminster today all that can be heard is repeated calls of 'no honestly, it's legal tender'" :)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 14:02 
Legendary Boogeyman

I had a look into the legal tender argument a while ago. and apparently the best, most convincing thing you can say is that the note is legal currency authorised by the UK Parliament. Apparently Scottish notes aren't legal tender even in Scotland, coins only. Something something promissory note.

Scottish notes are stupid anyway, they all look like they've been smeared with shit. Perhaps they have.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 14:10 

s'not shit, it's the chocolate from all the deep fried mars bars.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 14:12 
Excellent Member

What other standard would one need their currency to stand up to aside from being 'legal' and 'authorised by the relevant Parliament'?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 14:19 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
What other standard would one need their currency to stand up to aside from being 'legal' and 'authorised by the relevant Parliament'?

Blue face paint and a very lazy racial stereotype.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 14:25 
Legendary Boogeyman

I just meant that the typical argument that 'Scottish Notes are legal tender', isn't true because of reasons. Relating to banks. Yep.

Presumably the notes would need to be issues by the central bank to be legal tender, and Scottish banks aren't that, so they're merely authorised. It's not legally binding, you can actually refuse a Scottish note, it's just a bit stupid to do so.

I tendered a Northern Irish fiver a few months ago and the checkout chick was sufficiently nervous about it that she had to call over a manager to check.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 14:31 
Rude Belittler

Legal Tender status is irrelevant, a method of payment that is legal tender cannot be refused if you repay money owed with it.
Does not matter when paying for goods and services, as they can refuse any sort of payment if they want.

Credit cards: not legal tender.
Debit cards: not legal tender.
Cheques: not legal tender

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 14:33 
Legendary Boogeyman

This is why dickheads who try to settle debts with wheelbarrows of 1p coins can have their payment refused.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 14:34 
Unpossible!

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
This is why dickheads who try to settle debts with wheelbarrows of 1p coins can have their payment refused.

Anything over 20p (sub please check) in copper can be refused I think

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 14:48 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Yes. I am profoundly disturbed by the modern trick of passing vague and open-minded laws that allow the administration to cherry-pick convictions against those it takes a dislike to while ignoring others. In this country, the legislature is supposed to act in harmony with the judiciary, not ride roughshod over it whenever it likes.

This criticism applies just as much to Blair's government as it does to Cameron's.

This. It always annoys me when they say 'it is not the intent of the bill to crimialise [innocent behaviour that could be caught by the bill]' but they never go on to enter that exclusion onto the face of that legislation, and then, invariably, some idiot Plod uses that legislation against someone acting like that.

I also don't like bills that leave far too much to be decided by legislation, or include self-modifying/'Henry VIII' clauses. In fact, poorly written bills annoy me greatly.

Reply to topic  [ 1765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next