Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 133  Next
 Post subject: Re: Google Android
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:48 
Gogmagog

Also, she crazy hot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:49 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
Also, she crazy hot

Really? Isn't it because she's a politician who's female and under 50?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:00 
Gogmagog

Future Warrior wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Also, she crazy hot

Really? Isn't it because she's a politician who's female and under 50?

It is mainly the cruising around on a skidoo, shooting bears thing. I'd have thought she'd be a fine example of feminism to you, having been governor of the manliest state and stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:05 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
It is mainly the cruising around on a skidoo, shooting bears thing. I'd have thought she'd be a fine example of feminism to you, having been governor of the manliest state and stuff.

I bet you think Thatcher was a fine example of feminism too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:14 
Gogmagog

Future Warrior wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I don't think much about feminism.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:29 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Evidently.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:39 
Gogmagog

Future Warrior wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Evidently.

I meab, look at the huge advances in science and nature. Who makes them? Men. All through history men have done shit right and women have tried recently to claim undeserved credit After happily being carried through the dangerous times. "There would not be war if women were in charge" they say, slapping a cock on Joan d'Arc, Thatcher, Bousicea whilst holding nightingale up as women doing it right when all she did was keep a diary of who she killed through being a crap nurse.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:42 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Evidently.

I meab, look at the huge advances in science and nature. Who makes them? Men. All through history men have done shit right and women have tried recently to claim undeserved credit After happily being carried through the dangerous times. "There would not be war if women were in charge" they say, slapping a cock on Joan d'Arc, Thatcher, Bousicea whilst holding nightingale up as women doing it right when all she did was keep a diary of who she killed through being a crap nurse.

I laughed last time you made this exact post. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:49 
Gogmagog

Future Warrior wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Evidently.

I laughed last time you made this exact post. :)

I'm compiling a "best of"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:01 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I was going to buzz in citing repetition but I was too late.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 14:37 

Trousers wrote:
Gaywood has stolen the Mute button from my S5 with his lollipop update.

Dirty fucking borrower.

The Heath Robinson workaround for not having your phone make noise/vibrate is a piss take.

So apparently, on Samsung, turning the volume down below "vibrate" no longer engaged silent mode (that's normal behaviour in L) but the None/Priority-only/All panel that appears when you change the volume -- the one where you select which notifications make sound -- is missing. Is that correct?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 14:57 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Trousers wrote:
Gaywood has stolen the Mute button from my S5 with his lollipop update.

Dirty fucking borrower.

The Heath Robinson workaround for not having your phone make noise/vibrate is a piss take.

So apparently, on Samsung, turning the volume down below "vibrate" no longer engaged silent mode (that's normal behaviour in L) but the None/Priority-only/All panel that appears when you change the volume -- the one where you select which notifications make sound -- is missing. Is that correct?

Seems so on my phone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 18:00 
Excellent Member

Turning the volume down when it's vibrate doesn't move it to silent mode on my Nexus 6 so it doesn't seem that is normal Lollipop behaviour (if I'm reading you right here).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 18:11 
Gogmagog

I can't turn my volume down using the buttons past vibrate on my s5. The options button let's me set volume for ring tones, media, notifications and system

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:23 
EvilTrousers

I did the "Priority only" stuff and my alarm didn't go off this morning.

Why the FUCK would you take away functionality in an update? Mute/Vibrate/Sound made perfect sense.

I am assuming the next update will remove any call functionality as that is so last year and we are all just communicating with Emoji thingies now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:39 
Gogmagog

Trousers wrote:

Why the FUCK would you take away functionality in an update? Mute/Vibrate/Sound made perfect sense.

I am assuming the next update will remove any call functionality as that is so last year and we are all just communicating with Emoji thingies now.

:(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:12 
Excellent Member

That sounds like it might be a bug because if you go into the Interruptions settings it says "Alarms are always priority interruptions" so I'd expect an alarm to go off no matter what.

ETA: Actually you can set the overall state to "Don't interrupt" so even priority interruptions wouldn't trigger but the default is to allow priority interruptions so unless you've specifically changed that I'd still expect an alarm. Worth checking that though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:16 
Hello Hello Hello

Yeah I was seriously unimpressed with Lollipop (I got it straight away because Nexus 5), even now some time down the line I occasionally think 'Why did they do that to it?'

And it broke my fruit machine app. Which is still broken.

What was the last one? Jellybean? That one was good. Whatever the last one was.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:19 
Gogmagog

Oh I have kitkat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:37 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
What was the last one? Jellybean? That one was good. Whatever the last one was.

Kitkat. The releases are named alphabetically if that helps remember which was previous/subsequent so it goes:

Cupcake
Donut
Eclair
Froyo
Gingerbread
Honeycomb
Ice Cream Sandwich
Jellybean
KitKat
Lollipop

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trousers wrote:

Yeah, it does that.
They dropped the ball quite hard on the whole "silent" thing - I've not heard from anybody who thinks it's a good idea.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 15:46 
Excellent Member

Since i don't, and don't need to, have a sound system, i would like to know if every phone sound quality is the same, when hearing through some quality headphones. And i'm talking about quality, not loudness.

When i bought my phone 2 years ago, i chose a Sony, because i thought, well it's a Sony, i suppose it sounds better.

Is there any difference at all?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 16:14 

Different phones have different DACs, with different isolation from the rest of the phone. It could differ, yes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 20:51 
Excellent Member

Yeah, so my HTC One (previous model) has been a bit crap on the battery for the last few months but now it's getting to a stage where it's completely useless unless it's plugged in all day.

I bought it a year last July and I didn't expect the battery to be covered under the warranty but as the camera has also gone crap in low light I thought I could use that as an excuse to get a replacement.

Anyway, I emailed them today and they said that I should do a factory reset and if they doesn't fix the camera, I can't see how it would as the fault appears to be hardware related rather than software, then they said that they would arrange for it to be collected and fixed.

Great I thought.

Now the rubbish bit, they told me that I must do the "battery test". Basically this involves charging phone to 100%, turning on flight safe mode and checking it in an hour's time. Apparently if the battery is over 70% then the battery is considered to be good. How the fuck can it be considered good? They're basically saying that if the phone does absolutely nothing for just over 3 hours before the battery is dead then that's ok!

I'm gonna do their stupid test later, hoping that it's less than 70% at the end (just out of curiosity more than anything) however even if it's not I'm still gonna demand that they change the battery when they fix the camera. I'll even pay for the battery if it's reasonable but given that the phone is enclosed, as is the norm these days, I don't have the option of changing it myself.

I'll let you know how I get on.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 21:54 
Hello Hello Hello

HTC's customer service is epically bad, a mate had a tussle you wouldn't believe last year to get them to sort out a faulty mic on his HTC One Mini. (And I gave up with them trying to argue that their HTC One X had a fundamentally defective mic/software with over-gained audio, I just closed the helpdesk ticket in the end and decided I'd never buy HTC again.)

However, they're also incompetent so when he kicked off at them to get a new phone sent to him because they were taking so long fixing the one he'd sent to them, they agreed to send him a new phone, which they did, and then about two weeks later he got his repaired one back, and then FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER they actually sent him another one about a month later.

So he ended up with three HTC One Minis for the price of one, two of them went on eBay, he kept the other.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 23:23 
Excellent Member

Ha brilliant, well if I get one new one out of it I will be happy. Other than the battery/camera trouble, the phone has been flawless and I would be happy with it for another year. I am hoping that as its the old model, they will replace it with a new model. Either way, I don't really have anything to lose other than having to suffer a bit of inconvenience by having to wipe my data and having to fanny about with one of my old phones for a couple of weeks.

Post subject: New Phone Day!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 13:12 
Unpossible!

Ordinarily, the phrase "New Phone Day!" would be a good thing. But not today.

My contract Galaxy S4 has developed a fault where it constantly (constantly) complains that the sim card has been removed and it needs to restart. When the fault first occurred, I dutifully took it back to Carphone Warehouse and sent it off for repair, tolerating the god awful dumbphone they gave me as a loaner for two whole weeks. They replaced bits and flashed a new firmware and sent it back.

Problem came back. But hey-ho, I could live with it. Until this week, when it became near constant. I have grown to HATE the samsung startup jingle. It reached a head yesterday when I couldn't use my phone from about 11am until about 6pm, when I turned it off.

Last night on the way I went to Tesco and bought a Sim-Free Motorola Moto G. I was actually looking for the Moto E as they had it for £50 sim-free but they were out of stock. The G was in stock and I'd heard good things about it. And it's lovely. Neat, compact, near stock Android and almost the same specs as the S4 (almost).

So... do I try and get the S4 fixed, or try and recoup my Moto investment through envirofone (or similar?).

Post subject: Re: New Phone Day!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 13:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
It reached a head yesterday when I couldn't use my phone from about 11am until about 6pm, when I turned it off.

Try turning it on.

HTH HAND

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 13:23 
Excellent Member

A mate of mine had a very similar issue with her GS4 and had it back to Samsung numerous times for a repair to no avail. Eventually during all this her contract expired so she just gave up with the GS4 entirely and upgraded to a new Sony.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 13:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I can imagine Samsung got right fed up with him.

"YOU HAVE TO TURN IT ON, FFS!"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 13:30 
Unpossible!

Bamba wrote:
A mate of mine had a very similar issue with her GS4 and had it back to Samsung numerous times for a repair to no avail. Eventually during all this her contract expired so she just gave up with the GS4 entirely and upgraded to a new Sony.

That fills me joy. I'll flog the fucker.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 13:32 
UltraMod

The Moto G is an entirely adequate phone, I use it for work. Apart from it just randomly reboots sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 14:53 
Excellent Member

Couldn't be arsed sending my phone off to HTC so took it to my network supplier. Young lad who served me was next to useless. They appear they are happy to lose business to their competitor as they did absolutely nothing to make me want to stay. Phones gonna take 4-6 weeks to fix. 4-6 weeks!

Good news is that the loaner phoner boner they gave me is the same phone albeit with a massive crack down the screen. Anyway, contract due to end soon so I'll be buying my next phone from Amazon.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 14:59 
Unpossible!

Future Warrior wrote:
The Moto G is an entirely adequate phone, I use it for work. Apart from it just randomly reboots sometimes.

*narrows eyes*

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 15:05 
Isn't that lovely?

I have the moto G dual sim phone. I quite like it.

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 15:09 

Why do you have the dual SIM one?!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 15:26 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Missus / bit on the side obv

I wish all my phones were dual SIM. Saves carrying around a separate work phone.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 15:44 
Isn't that lovely?

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Work and personal

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 15:51 
UltraMod

Malc wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Work and personal

Malc

Ugh, no thanks. I like to keep my personal life and work life separate.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 15:54 
ugvm'er at heart...

Future Warrior wrote:
Malc wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Work and personal

Malc

Ugh, no thanks. I like to keep my personal life and work life separate.

Hence the dual-sim...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 16:00 
Isn't that lovely?

I can turn the work sim off if I need to, or I can see that the call is incoming from the work sim and ignore it. (that used to be easier, the sims were colour coded, but since I've been lollypopped the colours are the same).

Malc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 0:39 
UltraMod

If you can turn the work SIM off then that's better, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 19:04 

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/02/24 ... ew-option/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 0:06 
chewbacca -future arc welder

I am joining the fold, forgoing the windowsness and stepping into the light. Sony xperia z3 will be with me on Thursday. Fucking squeee! Gots a free chromecast too which is nice.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 18:17 
Excellent Member

Voice command fail.

Say OK Google then "set alarm seventeen forty" and it knows you want to set an alarm but can't parse the time element because it bizarrely doesn't understand 24 hour clock format. Now say "set alarm five forty" and it sets the alarm properly but the confirmation voice message actually bloody says, "Setting alarm for seventeen forty." So it knows how to say it but not how to hear it!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 21:02 
UltraMod

Worked immediately in iOS. HTH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Also worked when I tried it on my Samsung. :shrug:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:58 
Excellent Member

Weird, I just tried it again and it definitely doesn't work on my Nexus 6.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:33 
Isn't that lovely?

Could it be an accent thing?

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:31 
Excellent Member

So i was thinking about having a new phone in the 200€ range, and from what i heard, the moto G is the phone to beat, but i don't like its look. The Asus Zenfone looks great, but there aren't many reviews around, and the Samsung S3 is also around those prices.

Besides that i have a work colleague that wasn't to sell me an Xperia Z1 for around 150€, but i'm not really into buying used stuff, specially for something that usually doesn't last long like smartphones.

What are your opinions of where should i spend my money?

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 133  Next