Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: iCloud hacked
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 16:00 
Legendary Boogeyman

This thread reminds me that I should probably encrypt my shitty laptop though just in the event I ever lose it. Is there a particular overhead to doing this? I am vaguely aware that encrypting your phone will make it run slower?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 16:05 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
For those who don't have it, this is a good reminder to set up 2FA on your Apple or Google account: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5570 https://www.google.com/landing/2step/

Questions, as I'm clearly being slow:

Would i have to put the number in each time I accesed my email on my phone or anywhere else apart form the "Don't ask me here" computer?
If so, ss the risk of losing money greater than the inconvenience?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 16:07 
Unpossible!

I use 2 step on everything except my 2 main machines. It's really not that inconvenient. I always have my phone with me, afterall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 16:10 
Legendary Boogeyman

For google, it will typically remember your browser after you've entered it once, if you tell it to. Google also lets you print out 10 backup codes in the event your code generator (your phone) goes amiss.

However to access gmail on your phone you have to provide a very specific password that isn't your usual one to make it work, but once set up requires no further input. I always wondered how secure this was, as it isn't generated using two-factor and so your phone rather becomes a single point of failure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 16:13 
Unpossible!

It also requires you to login via a mobile website during first access. Or it did for me

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 16:21 
ugvm'er at heart...

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
This thread reminds me that I should probably encrypt my shitty laptop though just in the event I ever lose it. Is there a particular overhead to doing this? I am vaguely aware that encrypting your phone will make it run slower?

Depends on your laptop. I run encrypted on my work Macbook with SSD and couldn't tell any difference in performance from it being encrypted, for example.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 16:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

If your two-step authentication platform allows one-step access, it's not really two-step at all.

Re: Encryption - we use TruCrypt, which doesn't make any noticable difference to speed (on Windows).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 16:49 
ugvm'er at heart...

A place where I worked used to give us a physical RSA keyfob to use with our own password, to get into our email system, which was pretty secure.
They phased that out though and gave us the software application version of the RSA fob to use instead, and installed it on the laptop of everyone. The application had a permanent 4 digit code to open it up to get the rotating 6 digit code inside...

I tried to explain how this wasn't a good idea, but nobody listened.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 16:50 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Encryption for laptops is going to depend a lot on the age of the system , if you have a reasonably new system (last 3 , 4 years or so) then it will handle it without any issues at all - slightly older ones may struggle if your trashing it but for general use again you should not see an issue.

The 'built in' OS encryption should be fine for most people which is

Bitlocker for Windows :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitLocker

Filevault for Mac :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FileVault

and will not cost you anything to use - one thing to remember though is that an encrypted machine can be slightly more prone to a 'total' loss of data (so something goes wrong you are more likely to lose everything) which (typically) means that you should back stuff up elsewhere.

This backup can also be encrypted but should probably be online (yes I realise that its counter intuitive right now but if it is encrypted then even if someone grabbed it they cannot get into it)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 16:53 

Grim... wrote:
If your two-step authentication platform allows one-step access, it's not really two-step at all.
One-use passwords are a hack to get around IMAP clients that don't support OATH signin flows. Hopefully, they'll go away over time. They are also optional. The Gmail app for iOS, for example, uses OTP authentication, not the app-specific passwords.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 16:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
One-use passwords are a hack to get around IMAP clients that don't support OATH signin flows. Hopefully, they'll go away over time. They are also optional. The Gmail app for iOS, for example, uses OTP authentication, not the app-specific passwords.

Why does my Android phone need one, then?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 17:21 
Paws for thought

zaphod79 wrote:
Encryption for laptops is going to depend a lot on the age of the system , if you have a reasonably new system (last 3 , 4 years or so) then it will handle it without any issues at all - slightly older ones may struggle if your trashing it but for general use again you should not see an issue.

The 'built in' OS encryption should be fine for most people which is

Bitlocker for Windows :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitLocker

and will not cost you anything to use

Well, except BitLocker only comes with the more expensive versions of windows.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 17:33 

Grim... wrote:
Why does my Android phone need one, then?

Samsung, I expect.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 18:25 
Paws for thought

markg wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Anyway... The internet is a horrible place isn't it?

For years, I've generally gone by the thought of don't put anything you'd care about being public knowledge on the internet as once it leaves your control, you'll likely never have control of it again.

There's a huge difference between posting something on Facebook or similar where it's essentially public, and using a supposedly secure cloud storage system like this though.

No there's not - that's the point. Assume anything you put on the Internet is visible to anyone and stays there forever.

I think you need to understand that it's a risk but proceeding on the assumption that there is no such thing at all as security on the internet would mean you'd hardly use anything. I understand that I might be killed in a car crash but if I assumed I would then I'd stop driving.

Yeah, so the risks are categorisable. Naked pictures of me, or anything as sensitive... Not going on internet in any way shape or form.
Similarly with driving, I actively search out ways to keep my driving safe, so there are things I don't do.

If I were famous, the former risk would be significantly higher. I can't imagine naked pictures of me would spread very far on the internet, nor would people actively try to get them.

I'm not saying it's their fault, for various reasons. But I'd also recommend just avoiding the situation in the first place. Advising caution with things that can't be taken back is just being rather pragmatic (so in dangerous places take suitable precautions. For two years I walked around with one of those bastard painful rape alarms due to there being a decided risk of rape. Yes, it was bulky and somewhat inconvenient and I didn't really want to carry it, but rather that than be somewhat violated, or be subject to my friends getting that treatment)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 18:39 
Sleepyhead

Not always that simple though. Actress takes pic and texts to husband. He saves pic. Apple backup to cloud silently.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 19:21 
Bad Girl

This is all very good and relevant to the issues but what I want to know is: are these booby pics PHWOOOAR or what, aye?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 19:36 
Excellent Member

I just downloaded a load of stuff claiming to be pictures of these "celebrities"

I don't know who any of them are! There are plenty of normal pictures that are clearly the some of the people the papers are claiming.

Then there are sex videos and pictures but most of the ones I looked at there was no clear view of anyone's face so its hard to say who they are really.

If anyone is that bothered PM me and I can share from my OneDrive for a while

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 19:48 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Methinks Asfish has just become the most popular forummer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 20:40 
Legendary Boogeyman

The funny thing about naked lady celebrities is that they're not actually that interesting. Ok, you can see their boobs, but they're not exactly the most amazing boobs the world has ever seen. They're actually pretty boring, and in the main completely run of the mill.

I'm not quite sure what the pervy public expect. They are, after all, just normal people who happen to be caught in the nuddy through some circumstance. Their nakedness is not somehow superior over the nakedness of others. I feel about them the same way I think about fireworks - I've seen them before, I know generally what they look like, so this is not that interesting to me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 20:48 
Bad Girl

*really hopes this is a divergence into a discussion about boobs*

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 20:54 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
*really hopes this is a divergence into a discussion about boobs*

Most threads could be improved by 100-200% (at least) if everyone adopted this philosophy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:01 
ugvm'er at heart...

If you all want to see my boobs, you just need to ask.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:03 
Excellent Member

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
flis wrote:
It is a terrible violation.

I don't think anyone here disagrees with this.

I'm not sure everyone disagrees.

Because here we are, perpetuating that violation by looking for the photos and videos, and asking if they're hot. Really guys?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:04 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
If you all want to see my boobs, you just need to ask.

/really shouldn't need to explain that man boobs don't count.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:08 
Bad Girl

flis wrote:
Because here we are, perpetuating that violation by looking for the photos and videos, and asking if they're hot. Really guys?

If it wasn't entirely clear by the pithy nature of my responses I was joking, notwithstanding serious issues about privacy and data protection.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:09 
Excellent Member

Some of them have admitted that its them in the pictures

Mary Winstead ( had to look her up) tweeted that she "hopes people feel great about themselves looking at nude pictures of her that were taken in private"

Well Mary I'm sure there are lots of people making themselves feel good over and over again looking at you pictures :DD

Maybe if you spent a tiny bit of the money you spend on PR, handbags and dresses learning the concept of a strong password and a little bit more on understand what happens to the pictures you take on your IPhone then you wouldn't be in this situation

Still considering all she has in the pipeline is TV Movies this might boost her career

If you don't take nude pictures then there won't be anything to be hacked will there !?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:11 
Sleepyhead

asfish wrote:

Mary Winstead ( had to look her up) tweeted that she "hopes people feel great about themselves looking at nude pictures of her that were taken in private"

Well Mary I'm sure there are lots of people making themselves feel good over and over again looking at you pictures :DD

Maybe if you spent a tiny bit of the money you spend on PR, handbags and dresses learning the concept of a strong password and a little bit more on understand what happens to the pictures you take on your IPhone then you wouldn't be in this situation

Still considering all she has in the pipeline is TV Movies this might boost her career

If you don't take nude pictures then there won't be anything to be hacked will there !?

Oh FFS, don't be a complete fucking prick.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:12 
Excellent Member

asfish wrote:

Wow. Just, wow.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:14 
Sleepyhead

There have been some fucking awful posts on Beex, but for me that's pretty much the worst.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Jesus Cuntslapping Christ.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:15 

flis wrote:
I'm not sure everyone disagrees.

:this:

asfish wrote:

Are you fucking kidding me with this vile shit? Could you be any more of a one dimensional parody of a Daily Mail reader?

DON'T BLAME THE VICTIMS. Don't slut-shame. Don't deny these women their sexual agency. They did nothing wrong. They don't deserve this.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:19 
Excellent Member

Really happy to see the passion around people none of you know. Brilliant!

Quote:
Don't deny these women their sexual agency

I'll be honest I had to look what that meant, maybe no surprise :DD

"Being in charge of your sexuality, being able to decide who, when
and where your going to have sex how many times etc"

Don't think my post denied them any of that, problem is that took pictures on IPhones and had them upload to ICloud accounts with weak passwords.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:25 

Funny how you're OK with celebrities being hacked but more protective of your own privacy:

asfish wrote:
The US do what they want hiding behind the Patriot Act each time. What does disturb me is that the US government has said Prism only applies to none US citizens so does that mean everything we do on Facebook, Skype, SKYDrive is subject to NSA snooping? Not that I have anything to hide, but why the fuck should the NSA have access to my wedding pictures?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:27 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Guess I chose the wrong week to give up popcorn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:29 

Asfish can now apply to join the ranks of these dickheads.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:30 
Decapodian

asfish wrote:

Thats the same argument as blaming a mugging victim for having cash.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:31 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Funny how you're OK with celebrities being hacked but more protective of your own privacy:

asfish wrote:
The US do what they want hiding behind the Patriot Act each time. What does disturb me is that the US government has said Prism only applies to none US citizens so does that mean everything we do on Facebook, Skype, SKYDrive is subject to NSA snooping? Not that I have anything to hide, but why the fuck should the NSA have access to my wedding pictures?

Little different really, NSA force in my case SKYDrive to give them access via system accounts to my data despite me using a strong password.

These people have shitty weak passwords and are hacked.

This stuff is part of online life and those in the public eye should get their shit together. I don't think is right for one minute but I have no sympathy either

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Guess I chose the wrong week to give up popcorn.

Every week is the wrong week to give up popcorn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:34 
Paws for thought

Curiosity wrote:
Not always that simple though. Actress takes pic and texts to husband. He saves pic. Apple backup to cloud silently.

Yeah, unfortunately as I alluded to, they have to be much more careful because they have much larger targets painted on their backs. That's reality. It's ugly, I'd rather it was easier to trust everyone because that's much prettier, and I'd much rather live in that world.

Sadly, I don't.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:35 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Thanks for that link there are some classics on there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:37 
Sleepyhead

asfish wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

asfish wrote:

Little different really, NSA force in my case SKYDrive to give them access via system accounts to my data despite me using a strong password.

These people have shitty weak passwords and are hacked.

This stuff is part of online life and those in the public eye should get their shit together. I don't think is right for one minute but I have no sympathy either

Hey everybody! Asfish knows more about this situation than anyone else on the internet!

He also has no sympathy for people who get broken in to and raped in their homes, unless they had the most sophisticated burglar alarms!

And you can only be passionate about something if you know everybody involved! Fuck all those dead in Gaza! Fuck all those dead in Syria! Fuck everybody dead and dying unless you know them personally! Asfish has spoken!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:37 
Legendary Boogeyman

Wow, and I thought I made some unpopular posts.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:39 
Sleepyhead

asfish wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Thanks for that link there are some classics on there.

If you're taking them as being classics because you find them funny, then you're a horrific person. Seriously.

Grow up and stop living in some testosterone-fuelled adolescent wank-fantasy in which all women are slutty bitches who deserve everything they get. God I really hope you don't have a family.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:41 
Excellent Member

Quote:
He also has no sympathy for people who get broken in to and raped in their homes, unless they had the most sophisticated burglar alarms!

And you can only be passionate about something if you know everybody involved! Fuck all those dead in Gaza! Fuck all those dead in Syria! Fuck everybody dead and dying unless you know them personally! Asfish has spoken!

Not sure where I said any of that, do you want these picture I have? Maybe you need to knock a couple out and get over yourself??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:41 
Legendary Boogeyman

I wouldn't mind so much but I can't browse normal reddit because it appears to be dying under the load of people looking for spank pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:43 
Excellent Member

Quote:
If you're taking them as being classics because you find them funny, then you're a horrific person. Seriously.

You are so up your own arse, yes I laughed at some of the stuff there, I laugh at Frankie Boyle as well.

Not because I think any of its right or I believe it.

All of this is just rubbish nobody died, just stupid people had some nude pictures leaked online

You act like this is you sister or wife!

Quote:
Grow up and stop living in some testosterone-fuelled adolescent wank-fantasy in which all women are slutty bitches who deserve everything they get. God I really hope you don't have a family.

Don't have a family? Are people who don't piss themselves with outrage when a bunch of people they don't know get there tits shown on the internet banned from having a family in your world?

The irony is of the price was right and the script tasteful most of these "Victims" would do nude scenes!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:45 
Excellent Member

asfish wrote:
Maybe you need to knock a couple out and get over yourself??

So, you've decided on the 'keep digging' strategy then? A wise choice indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:47 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Bamba wrote:
asfish wrote:

It's ok. Some wag will pop up with an Amy Winehouse joke in a second and this will all blow over.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:48 
Hello Hello Hello

Well it's been a while(ish) since we had one of these.

Needs more Amy Winehouse pontification or frames per second burble though, I think.

EDIT - GOD FUCKING DAMMIT APOD ONE MINUTE AHEAD.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 21:48 
Excellent Member

Bamba wrote:
asfish wrote:

What does that mean, this is an internet forum!!??

Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next