Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 72  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearthstone thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 21:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

3+ wins is highly likely to get you rewards worth over 150g in total. I.e. 1 pack plus 50g

5+ wins is guaranteed to get you that.

7+ wins will guarantee your entry fee back in total, plus the pack.

I average 4 or 5 wins, and my best is 7 so far. My worst is 0 :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 23:18 
Sleepyhead

Just had another 7-3 run with a Mage. Was a fun one as I had loads of freeze spells. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:10 
Hello Hello Hello

Right I'm going to have a little miracle rogue rant so please set your expectations for this post accordingly and if you don't want to read a miracle rogue rant by all means move on.

Rank 13 in Constructed and I'm playing my pally, I see I'm matched against a rogue so I mulligan accordingly (99% chance he's going to be miracle), and put as much early pressure on as I can, since I know that once the Auctioneer comes out it's pretty much all over.

He burns through quite a lot of small spells and a dagger + deadly poison to keep the board under control in the early turns, but of course he's drawing cards off some of the spells too, so I can't really get any sort of board against him, although his health does take a bit of a battering.

Turn 6 the Auctioneer comes out and he manages to draw a shitload off that with a prep plus clear the board (he may have actually played two preps on Turn 6), either way he got a load of cards and concealed the Auctioneer - on Turn 6.

Next turn there's NOTHING I CAN DO on the board because there's just a concealed Auctioneer, so I do a bit to his face and get a minion down, next turn out comes an SI:7 and an Earthen, along with a couple of other spells to kill my one minion, followed up by another Conceal - he managed to do 20 damage to me this turn, as well as drawing fuck knows how many cards in the process and maintaining and improving what is basically an invincible board.

So on Turn 8 and I'm down to 9 health, (from 29 at the end of the last turn) he's got a Cold Blood combo on the Auctioneer (8/4 plus SI:7 + Earthen + a dagger with Deadly Poison on it), he's got a handful of cards, it's all over basically.

There's no way I can control the board down, and doubtless he's got a fucking Leeroy in there anyway by now since he's managed to go through MOST OF HIS FUCKING DECK BY TURN 8.

I stick a Tirion down mostly because it's the only taunt I have and it's the only (very vague) chance I have of preventing lethal.

Sap - game over.

Utter bullshit deck, having two preps and an Auctioneer in hand on Turn 6 won that one, the GAME OVER sign may as well have flashed up at that point.

EDIT - Just realised I made zero progress on the daily quest (destroy 40 minions), that'll be because for the turns when he had minions on the board they were concealed and thus invincible. So he had something like 50+ damage capability by Turns 8-9 and the only minions he'd played I couldn't so much as scratch. Totally legit!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:34 
Hello Hello Hello

And another pile of crap game against miracle rogue, I actually managed to kill the first concealed Auctioneer with an Avenging Wrath, but he still managed to cycle through damn near his entire deck and with me having him down at 2 health he managed a 22 damage finisher with Leeroy + two Shadowsteps and a Cold Blood on a fucking Loot Hoarder of all things. (With me having lethal next turn, of course.)

Top fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:46 
Legendary Boogeyman

You were beaten by a turn, so that's not really bullshit, you were just slightly outplayed ;)

I'm behind on my quests, but I already have all my gold for Naxx :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:48 
Sleepyhead

Doesn't the Pally have the Equality-Consecrate board clear move? So if you'd had that he would have been toast.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:57 
Legendary Boogeyman

I probably haven't improved Hearthly's mood by challenging him with my Rogue. Still a good game though!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:03 
Hello Hello Hello

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
I probably haven't improved Hearthly's mood by challenging him with my Rogue. Still a good game though!

I played fucking awful there, no excuses really although I haven't exercised my druid so much lately.

If we go for a rematch I'll try my warlock or pally.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:25 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
Doesn't the Pally have the Equality-Consecrate board clear move? So if you'd had that he would have been toast.

I do run one Equality and two Consecrates but didn't have the Equality in hand unfortunately.

The concealed Auctioneer can be killed by a few things, but most of the time, he's going to be out of reach.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 13:08 
Hello Hello Hello

Getting tiresome now, miracle rogue after miracle rogue out in Ranked. Oh, and zoo locks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 13:52 
Hello Hello Hello

Just had a dick around with miracle rogue myself but I must note for the record this was IN CASUAL and not Ranked. I won't play miracle rogue in Ranked for the same reasons I won't play zoo lock and stealy priests, and wouldn't play UTH-hunter pre-nerf.

Anyway, even without Leeroy (which I don't have), and only one Prep, no Bloodmage etc - it's still a very powerful deck. (I do have the rogue legendary which can get spicy on a big card turn.)

I don't have the mega-finisher potential without Leeroy, but the mere fact you can get through pretty much all 30 cards in around 10 turns is not to be sniffed at.

Admittedly it's quite good fun to chain-draw so many cards, but in one game my Auctioneer was a bit late turning up and the deck's painful reliance on that one card soon became apparent. (I've got two Auctioneers but had seen neither of them early game.)

I do actually have 1600 dust (as you can see here), but I'll wait and see what desirable legendaries turn up in Naxx......

Attachment:
cheatrogue.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 16:03 
Hello Hello Hello

Slight change, the Arcane Golem is my bargain-basement Leeroy, Loot Hoarder is my cheapy Bloodmage, and I've got a Sinister Strike instead of one of the Preparations.

Other than that this is miracle rogue and it certainly does work.

Won't be foisting it on Ranked though, but I guess it's OK to kick it around it Casual.

Attachment:
slightchange.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 16:39 
Hello Hello Hello

Just did a 28 damage finisher on a warlock on top of taking down two of his taunts on the same turn, and this is using the 'budget' Leeroy in Arcane Golem form.

Had an Auctioneer and 8/8 Edwin at the start of the turn (concealed from the previous turn), started off with Blade Flurry on a Deadly Poisoned dagger to clear the two taunts and three damage to the face (which very nearly killed his other two minions in the process).

Face with the minions, then Golem + Cold Blood > face, by which time I'd drawn out my entire deck and the last Cold Blood, Shadowstep > Golem > Cold Blood > face - dead. 28 fucking face damage in one turn taking out two taunts earlier in the same turn, and I'd drawn out my entire deck (you can see in this screenshot he still had a fair few cards left, and he'd been tapping too).

My Auctioneers were quite late coming so I'd used the other Shadowstep to get one of my them back into my hand to keep him safe, and he then costs 2 less to play next turn. (Having two out at once and drawing two cards per spell is rather comical.)

I'd have lost big time against any sort of aggro deck but this opponent was (a) Quite slow and (if I'm honest) (b) Not very good.

That aside though, the power of the deck is very clear to see, ridiculous card draw, enough tools to keep a decent amount of control on the board early game, and then being able to conceal the key minions (more than once if necessary!) is just bonkers - as you basically 'store' the burst for when you need it.

Having been knocking this around for a little while now I can appreciate that it's not the easiest deck in the world to play, there are a lot of decisions to be made, but to be able to put together a finisher like this from what is a sub-optimal version of the deck (no Bloodmage or Leeroy, and only one Prep), is a bit daft IMO.

I felt rather sorry for the warlock as he didn't do anything much wrong TBH, he also knew what I was working up to because he'd worked on healing himself and controlling what there was on the board that he could actually get to, and then getting some taunts out too - and yet all to no avail in one BOOM HEADSHOT psycho destruction turn.

It is quite fun to invoke the carnage though, I have to say.

This screenshot is just before the second Golem (+ Cold Blood) charges into his face, he started this turn with 28 health and four minions including two 3 health taunts....

Attachment:
charge.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 16:53 
Legendary Boogeyman

ZOMG SO CHEAP.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 17:01 
Hello Hello Hello

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
ZOMG SO CHEAP.

It is though really, let's face it, most decks would have a very good chance of winning if they could pull 30 cards in around ten turns, control the board effectively AND deliver an absolutely sickening suckerpunch of burst damage at the end of it all......

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 17:56 
Hello Hello Hello

Argh! I'm really having fun with this deck in Casual, even though I'm regularly dropping terrible clangers and have overdrawn quite awfully on more than one occasion.

Win rate is probably about 50% or so, at best, but then again I'm making mistakes pretty much every game.

Since it's not a very good miracle rogue deck, (it really, really needs the second Prep, possibly even more than the Leerory and certainly more than the Bloodmage), and I'm not a very good miracle rogue player, I don't suppose it would make me too evil to take it out into Ranked...... I've no doubt I'll get fucking destroyed and will basically be giving wins away, which sort of makes it alright I suppose......

As the Inspiral Carpets would say, 'Does it make me a bad man?' (Although I'm fairly certain they didn't write Two Worlds Collide in response to players having moral quandaries about which Hearthstone decks to play, or not play.)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 19:46 
ugvm'er at heart...

Hearthly wrote:
I do actually have 1600 dust (as you can see here), but I'll wait and see what desirable legendaries turn up in Naxx......

As I understand it, you'll be able to get all the Naxx cards through playing agains the AI in the expansion. The only crafting you need to do to get any of the cards is if you want golden version of them.

However, the meta might change after Naxx and make other current legendaries more appealing :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 20:10 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
As I understand it, you'll be able to get all the Naxx cards through playing agains the AI in the expansion. The only crafting you need to do to get any of the cards is if you want golden version of them.

That's rather interesting! But.......

Quote:
However, the meta might change after Naxx and make other current legendaries more appealing :)

Absolutely, I'd hate to burn through 1600 dust for a Leeroy, and then cobble together another 400 for a second Prep (cough cough, buy some packs and DE if I don't get one) - only to find that miracle rogue gets fucked in Naxx.

Having read around miracle rogue quite a lot today the 'vibe' I get (as unscientific as a 'vibe' is :D) is that it'll be 'passively nerfed' by changing the game around it, rather than an outright class nerf like hunters got.

Having said that, miracle rogue absolutely fails on an epic scale if you don't get an Auctioneer fairly early. I've been bopping around with it in Casual most of the afternoon/evening now and you really want want in your first 10 cards, if you get halfway through your deck (the closer to 15 you get with no Auctioneer the more horrible it gets) and you still haven't seen one (and that's happened to me about three or four times now), you may as well just call the whole thing off.

I can't lie though, it's a fun deck to play, and not a faceroll deck to play either - I very rarely hit the turn timer with any of my other decks, but playing this miracle rogue deck I've been down to the last few seconds on a regular basis.

So I do doff my cap to the very good miracle rogues, and I have a bit more respect for the deck and its players now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 20:12 
Sleepyhead

I've been holding off on any crafting too. I have about 300 dust! That said, I've only made one card before now, for 100. Where the hell do people get all this dust? These days I get between 5-15 per pack I open, but for the first 30-40 packets none at all. Do I have to buy about a million packs? Even at a rate of ten arenas a week it'd take a damn long time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 20:36 
Legendary Boogeyman

Guess it depends on your current cards - if you have nearly all of them then every pack you open is essentially just dust. Most of my opens are now not unique, although there are still plenty that I need.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 20:42 
ugvm'er at heart...

The more cards you get, the more dust you get...
It seems obvious, but soon enough virtually everything becomes a duplicate so you gain dust faster and faster. Don't forget that AE and I bought a 40 pack ages ago, which gave us a head start. Also, last week when the pricing info for Naxx came out, I dropped all my saved gold into card packs, which gave me a load of extra dust.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 20:46 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
I've been holding off on any crafting too. I have about 300 dust! That said, I've only made one card before now, for 100. Where the hell do people get all this dust? These days I get between 5-15 per pack I open, but for the first 30-40 packets none at all. Do I have to buy about a million packs? Even at a rate of ten arenas a week it'd take a damn long time.

I guess if you've bought a load of cards (I got two lots of 40 packs at £34.99 each) then you've already filled in a lot of the gaps, so the card packs you get from Arena runs tend to be duplicates on a more regular basis which then feeds into more dust.

It also depends on how ruthless you are with DE-ing cards, I personally won't DE any legendaries but anything beyond that is fair game (so any golden common/rare/epics get DE-ed).

My total spend on the game remains at £72 and it's been static for ages (two lots of 40 packs and £2 in the beta), and I don't think it's a massive amount of cash to spend either (filling up the fucking car is the best part of £100 these days!), but everyone can make their own choices with regards to how much, if anything, they want to spend on it.

But yes, spending some cash certainly gets you some cards and dust ahead of F2P players, but even then there are no guarantees (as in my case with no Leeroy and no second Prep for my rogue, and EBG doesn't seem to be too short of decent legendaries to play against me :D).

If you lobbed £34.99 at 40 packs of cards (which in terms of 'spend per hour' would probably still make it one of the best value for money games you've every played) you'd finish up with a load of dust, some nice cards and most likely a new legendary or two, and you'd gather dust quicker from Arena runs because you'd be getting more duplicates.

Depends how committed to F2P you are :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 20:46 
Sleepyhead

Yeah, but even so, the vast majority of card packs will still only give you 30 or 35 or whatever 5 normal + 1 uncommon is.

EDIT - Though, yeah, an 80 pack head start would probably do it.

DOUBLE EDIT - Also I have not mulched any cards for dust at all other than duplicates.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 20:48 
Sleepyhead

And I chucked a tenner at it once upon a time, so not entirely FTP :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 20:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

Hearthly wrote:
It also depends on how ruthless you are with DE-ing cards, I personally won't DE any legendaries but anything beyond that is fair game (so any golden common/rare/epics get DE-ed).

That's a good point. Anything golden that I already have 2 normal of, gets dusted.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 23:44 
Sleepyhead

Yay! I got my second ever Legendary card tonight. King Mukla!

Not one I've seen used, but sounds like he could be useful, especially in a Druid deck if I can play Innervate to get a 5/5 off the first turn!

Alternatively, not having ever seen him used probably means he's not all that.

BUT!

Still, nice to get one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 23:54 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Curiosity wrote:
Alternatively, not having ever seen him used probably means he's not all that.

I've had him thrown at me a few times - because he's cheap if you go second he's a big card to get on the board at turn 2 (with coin) - and giving the enemy bananas doesnt seem to help many classes

I think as the game goes on he becomes less and less useful

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 0:04 
Sleepyhead

Sounds about right.

Just started another arena run.

Decent cards for a Paladin, though no Truesilver Champion. Three consecrates and an equality. Playing against a Hunter.

Risked getting three out, but then got hit by the Buzzard/UTH combo. He then proceeded to pretty much just play 'kill random enemy' and 'summon beast', with one Sunwalker thrown in.

Ended up going through 20 cards, just about fending him off. He had the max amount of minions in the end. I had Equality from the first turn. All three of my sodding consecrates weren't drawn. Gah!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 14:04 
Legendary Boogeyman

My collection is 'ok', but when I opened 3 packs yesterday, I dusted 12 of the 15 cards. That dust is pretty feeble though, mostly commons, but eventually it adds up.

I think it costs about 4x as much to craft something golden as the regular card, so the super-insane upper limit of getting 2 of all gold cards is probably something only the very most insane players can hope for.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 14:57 
ugvm'er at heart...

It seems quite confusing as to when Naxx is actually going to be released in the UK. The banners say the 23rd, the official hearthstone people on twitter say that it will be released globally at the same time, and that the 23rd date was because of the time difference, but maintenance on the 22nd is due to finish at 8am PDT and that is the time they are expected to release it. :shrug:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 19:30 
Hello Hello Hello

I just spent all my gold on card packs as it's quicker than Arena runs.

No second prep :(

And no Leeroy :(

Just can't bring myself to craft either card so close to Naxx, and besides which I'm still very much learning how to play the miracle rogue deck anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 20:47 
Sleepyhead

You're so cheap. I bet you play Zoo or Priest next :P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 20:56 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
You're so cheap. I bet you play Zoo or Priest next :P

I just won my first game in Ranked with my budget miracle rogue deck, at Rank 14 too so it's not like it was against a chump. (Plus it took out a zoo lock, which made it extra satisfying.)

I felt I'd got my head around it in Casual and was just itching to see if I could make it work in Ranked.

Admittedly I feel rather dirty, but in a nice sort of way, and at the end of the the day I'm missing a Leeroy which is pretty much considered essential, and a Prep too - so I'm going in there with a handicapped version of the deck, which makes it more noble, or something.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 21:05 
ugvm'er at heart...

Having a nightmare of a night. 9 games played, 7 lost so far, currently 0-2 in arena.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 21:45 
ugvm'er at heart...

Clawed it back to 2-3 in the end, and got a card I needed in the pack and 40g, so not a total loss!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 13:38 
Hello Hello Hello

Full card list now available, plus a nerf for Eaglehorn Bow, abilities list etc.

Looks like zoo and miracle are getting fucked ;)

http://www.hearthpwn.com/news/564-heart ... ramas-card

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 16:04 
ugvm'er at heart...

Some of those heroic boss powers are insane, I can imagine it's going to take a while to work out how to beat them. For me at least, I'm sure there will be decks posted almost immediately, but i'm going to try and stay clear of those until I have given it a good go.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 16:27 
Sleepyhead

What's happening to Miracle and Zoo that reduces their effectiveness?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 17:20 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:
What's happening to Miracle and Zoo that reduces their effectiveness?

I expect there is a card counter for Zoo but for Miracle the answer is

https://twitter.com/PlayHearthstone/sta ... 12/photo/1

Play this card and the rouge cant miracle their deck - even if they start using other things to get rid of this minion its going to disrupt their play.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 17:26 
Hello Hello Hello

The one for zoo is 'Unstable Ghoul' - a 1/3 taunt with a 2 mana cost and a deathrattle of 'deal 1 damage to all minions', it's not a legendary so you could potentially run with two of them..

The anti-miracle card (Loatheb) I'm not so sure on, as it's a legendary you could only have one of them, so the rogue has a much better chance of getting an Auctioneer out and miracleing away than the other player has to stop him, but then again if he was played it'd pretty much be a game-wrecker. (I can't think of any easy way for a miracle rogue to get rid of him, as for example a sap would cost 7 instead of 2, and even a Prep would cost 5.)

Thing is when miracle works it can very easily all be over by Turn 10, which still gives him good odds of the enemy not having his Loatheb to play, assuming he's running with it at all.....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 17:35 
8-Bit Champion

Hearthly wrote:
(I can't think of any easy way for a miracle rogue to get rid of him, as for example a sap would cost 7 instead of 2, and even a Prep would cost 5.)

Ironbeak owl and silence it ?

It does remove one other card from the deck but assuming that things are going well thats a more minor inconvenience and as its a minion it doesn't gain the penalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 18:40 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
(I can't think of any easy way for a miracle rogue to get rid of him, as for example a sap would cost 7 instead of 2, and even a Prep would cost 5.)

Ironbeak owl and silence it ?

It does remove one other card from the deck but assuming that things are going well thats a more minor inconvenience and as its a minion it doesn't gain the penalty

Well that would come under 'no easy way to get rid of him' :D The instant you start diluting the deck is the instant it stops being the juggernaut it is I'd guess.

The way it's set up at the moment there's just no consideration for putting other cards in there, and even losing the tempo of the deck for that one turn could prove critical. (And that's assuming you have the one owl in your hand at that point, as it stands at the moment there are cards you mulligan aggressively for, adding the Owl to the list would, again, be troublesome.)

We'll have to see how it pans out I guess, it might matter more at higher ranks than lower ranks, and suchlike.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 18:45 
ugvm'er at heart...

I seem to have made it rank 13 this season, just by arseing around and doing whatever I needed to do for quests so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 18:47 
ugvm'er at heart...

NAXX IS OUT! GO GO GO!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 18:52 
Legendary Boogeyman

Lots of chunky cards there. It's not so much that individually they're strong, but I can't begin to imagine the new combos that will be dreamt up when placed with the existing set. There are going to be some very cunning and clever deathrattle plays to be had.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 18:53 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
NAXX IS OUT! GO GO GO!!!!

Eh? In the EU, now?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 18:56 
Legendary Boogeyman

My client is updating! Hot piss.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 18:57 
Hello Hello Hello

WEE SELF WEE SELF.

Attachment:
weeself.JPG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 18:59 
Sleepyhead

Wait, silence doesn't nullify battle cries does it? I thought that once they were in play, they were in play. A minion doesn't lose 1/1 because your SSC got killed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 19:02 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
Wait, silence doesn't nullify battle cries does it? I thought that once they were in play, they were in play. A minion doesn't lose 1/1 because your SSC got killed.

Oh yes of course, there's nothing that can stop Loatheb's effect from taking place as it's a battlecry.

Good point Curio, so even sapping him, or indeed anything else at all, would make no difference whatsoever.

ALSO I AM IN NAXXRAMAS NOW.

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 72  Next