Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Interesting Reddit Stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:31 
ugvm'er at heart...

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comme ... ideo_game/

This is pretty funny to read, plus there is the two dicks person, which was interesting. I'm not going to search for that link at work though, Curio probably has it to share.

What else is on Reddit that you know about and we should all read, people? Tell us and keep us entertained.

Post subject: Re: Interesting Reddit Stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:48 
Excellent Member

Coincidentally I've recently started checking in on Reddit pretty regularly (having not even known what it was previous to that) so I can probably cross-post stuff to here when I'm at home. It's amazing/terrifying the amount of time you can waste browsing it.

One of the amusing things I read recently was a thread about 'features in games you didn't know about until later' which had a guy admitting that when playing most of Zelda: Wind Waker he genuinely never knew that you needed to deploy the sail when boating around the place. He played almost the entire game using the very slow movement on (I think?) the left trigger. Anyone who's played the game is probably boggling at the very idea because it would mean the majority of intra-island journeys (of which there's shitloads) literally taking hours rather than minutes.

Having just typed all that out though I found the thread in question pretty easily here. Here's the relevant post:

Quote:
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker was my first Gamecube game, so I was really excited to start playing it. I got through the first part fine, and then met that red boat (The King of Red Lions) that Link uses to travel around the world. The boat tells me to go to Dragon Roost Island, which on the game map is like four ocean squares away, so I get in the boat and hold down the R trigger, which makes the boat inch forward. Man does it take a long time to get to that island, but I make it, do the quest, whatever, and then repeat the process to get to the next island.

And the next one.

And the next one.

Finally, I end up getting the ability to use bombs while on the boat to make a cool cannon to shoot monsters, and my little brother comes in and asks me why the hell I'm equipping bombs but haven't equipped the sail the entire game. This was after about 25 hours of gameplay.

tl;dr Would have gone through the Wind Waker traveling 20x slower than I was supposed to because I didn't realize that the boat was supposed to have a sail.

edit: I got the sail at Windfall so I had it in my inventory, but I didn't realize that I had to equip it to get it to be used. I thought that holding R was the only way to make the boat move forward and that the sail was working automatically even if I couldn't see it on the boat. I was about eight when I got the game, to be fair.

Heh, also, this one about Tomb Raider 2:

Quote:
I was 12 years old and had a Playstation 1 for Christmas. I had two games with it, one of which was Tomb Raider 2 that I was very eager to play. Take into account that I was brand new to having a games console and up until then I had only played on a Commodore 64.

So I had the main menu loaded up and scrolled through all of the options - as far as I was concerned the Passport icon was only for game settings and the option for "New Game" didn't come up automatically, so I decided that selecting "Lara's Home" was my best bet, since that was the first thing I had read about in the manual that came with it.

For three days, I played on Lara's Home. After playing the shit out of the obstacle course, running helplessly into the groaning butler and desperately trying to find the dual pistols, I was getting a bit tired of it by the third day.

Luckily, my cousin, a few years older than me, visited just after Christmas and had owned a PS for many years. He listened with pity on his face as I told him about my very boring experience with the first level of Tomb Raider.

And, of course, I watched in amazement as he selected "New Game" from the passport and I got to play the actual first level of Tomb Raider 2, with dual pistols, enemies and even cutscenes! I was so excited that I didn't even feel stupid about it until many years later.

TL:DR At 12 years old, I got a Playstation 1 for Christmas and played on Lara's Home for three days, completely missing the option for "New Game".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:52 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bamba wrote:
Coincidentally I've recently started checking in on Reddit pretty regularly (having not even known what it was previous to that) so I can probably cross-post stuff to here when I'm at home. It's amazing/terrifying the amount of time you can waste browsing it.

One of the amusing things I read recently was a thread about 'features in games you didn't know about until later' which had a guy admitting that when playing most of Zelda: Wind Waker he genuinely never knew that you needed to deploy the sail when boating around the place. He played almost the entire game using the very slow movement on (I think?) the left trigger. Anyone who's played the game is probably boggling at the very idea because it would mean the majority of intra-island journeys (of which there's shitloads) literally taking hours rather than minutes.

Having just typed all that out though I found the thread in question pretty easily here. Here's the relevant post:

You could have just clicked on the link I posted ;) But I realise I didn't make it entirely clear what I was linking to :D

This :blown: me though, the second player can control the duck on Duck Hunt. Seriously.
http://gamesdbase.com/Media/SYSTEM/Nint ... ntendo.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:56 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Wow... Just.. Wow.

I don't get Reddit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:57 
Unpossible!

TheVision wrote:
Wow... Just.. Wow.

I don't get Reddit.

It *will* get you if you spend too long there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 13:01 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've tried though but I just think it's a very messy website with no real structure.

I'm totally missing the point aren't I?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 13:02 
Unpossible!

Welcome to Web 2.0!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 13:05 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Does it have a mobile site? That doesn't help either.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 13:06 

DavPaz wrote:
Welcome to Web 2.0!

I was flicking through a log book in the bunkhouse I was in last week. Groups of teenagers were ending sentences with #funny or #hahaha etc. #quicklygetsirritating #especiallyonpaper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 13:07 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

You can d/l a reddit reformator which apparently makes it nicer. no idea what ti is called though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 13:10 
ugvm'er at heart...

I didn't really get it either, until I realised it was just like usenet with threads hidden, but with crowdsourced auto-unhiding...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 13:12 
Unpossible!

TheVision wrote:
Does it have a mobile site? That doesn't help either.

i.reddit.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 13:15 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
You could have just clicked on the link I posted ;)

Heh, oops! It just didn't occur to me that we'd have coincidentally thought to post the exact same article and I never re-read your post properly after typing up mine. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 13:22 
ugvm'er at heart...

NSFW: http://imgur.com/QU1W5 :NSFW

This is a good summary of reddit.

Last edited by Grim... on Tue Jan 07, 2014 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
Added NSFW warning

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 13:42 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'm not clicking that on the assumption that it's a photo of a man with two dicks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 13:57 
Bad Girl

I'm sure I got stuck on ICO on a section where you're supposed to swing on a chain to reach the next ledge. There was no chain swinging anywhere else in the game and I was bamboozled for ages.

I even wrote about it in the SOTC thread which pre-dates this Reddit thread by 825 days.

Quote:
Here's my special tip for fellow BeeXer's:

Press circle to swing on chain. You can't make the jump no matter what you think. Yes, I know you've never pressed circle on a chain for the last three hours since you started and you will probably never need to do so again.

So there you have it: BeeX better than Reddit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 14:00 

TheVision wrote:
I've tried though but I just think it's a very messy website with no real structure.
The front page can be like that, but the topic-specific subreddits are more focussed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 14:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Clearly
http://www.reddit.com/r/space/comments/ ... _you_some/
and
http://www.reddit.com/r/counterstrike/c ... generator/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 14:15 

Upvoted.

Arguably the most immediately-obviously-compelling content is the ask-me-anything subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/ A mixture of celebrities and normal people with unusual skills or experience taking questions from the floor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 14:33 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

The Gamedeals page :

http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/

Is someplace I check on fairly regularly and while BLOPS2 was out I posted quite a few messages in

http://www.reddit.com/r/CODZombies

And for Extinction there is

http://www.reddit.com/r/CODAliens

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 15:58 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've spent some more time on it... Nope, still don't get it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 15:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It's a bit like Digg.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 15:59 

TheVision wrote:

I'll let 'em know they can shut it down then.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 16:06 
Sleepyhead

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

It was nice that they tried.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 16:09 
Unpossible!

Praisebot says: Meh.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 16:11 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Excellent. If you could. Also, while you're there can you ask about the adverts at the cinema? Especially the Orange ones. They do get on my nerves.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 16:37 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The Vue ones are worse. "There's still time to purchase drinks and snacks from the foyer!" NOTHEREFUCKINGISN'T. THEFILMISABOUTTOSTART. SITTHEFUCKBACKDOWN.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 23:25 
Excellent Member

Mind pleasantly blown by the Seinfeld thread. I'm gonna be hours in there. :)

"Very good observation and analysis on your part, Baxter. You are truly exhibiting a good comedic eye."

Reading that in Jerry's voice, well somehow it's gold, Beex! Gold!

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 0:34 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

reddit is best experienced by making an account. (You can make one in seconds, no email address required). That way you can DOWNVOTE things that you hate. On a forum you either have to ignore the crap things people say or REPLY IN FURY. In reddit you can downvote and move on or DOWNVOTE AND REPLY IN FURY. If enough people downvote a comment you've shown them what's what. (Unless it's you who's been downvoted, in whichcase everyone else is wrong).

To learn about new subreddits, you can

Reddit gets better if you unsubscribe from the default subreddits, especially crap like /r/athiesm, /r/politics, /r/worldnews, /r/gaming etc etc. The problem is that the shitty defaults take up the /r/all queue as well, so a vast majority of the things on /r/all will be pictures of people with lame words over the top from these default shitty subreddits. By unsubscribing from those reddits, you avoid seeing the pictures! (Unless you really like thousands of memeimages, in which case the default setup is fine)

To "use" reddit you could click the big blue link and look at whatever picture/article you've been linked to and then upvote/downvote it, but reddit is experienced best by first clicking on the comment link, calling everyone in the thread a retard and only THEN looking at the article you're meant to all be talking about. (Also, by going to the comments first you often find someone with a phd in whateverhtearticleistalkingabout saying how utterly wrong the article is with a detailed explaination why)

I'll just paste you all subreddits I subscribe to that are above 2000 users. (They're sorted in size order it seems). There's another million pages with subreddits below 2000 but I didn't copy those. Note: I've not put much effort into making these actual links etc so they might not work and the random it of text after each one is a result of the copy+pasting+trimming. Enjoy. (Also, given how often I press 'subscribe' simply if I see it's not ticked, you shouldn't take the fact that I'm subscribed to some of these things as an indication of my character...)

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:59 
Unpossible!

Excellent list, Pod. I'll be subscribing to some of those myself.

Also, don't forget to install the Reddit Enhancement Suite if you're on a desktop browser. It allows you to expand images and tag people for a start.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:01 
Unpossible!

Oh and even though you don't need to attach an email to an account, it's necessary if you ever forget your password.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:51 
ugvm'er at heart...

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/1u ... ?context=4

In the depths of the NBA forum, there is some excellent comedy writing happening.

edit, for example

"she probably had a fat ass
I feel like that whole situation could've gone down diplomatically if she didn't have a fat ass
like if me and you got a dispute over a girl, usually guys won't come to blows over some shit like that. I mean how many times have you seen the story where two dudes find out they're sleeping with the same girl, then they team up on the girl and expose her and become best friends after that? We try to be as logical as possible when its pimp on pimp. Sometimes you cross streams, it happens. Handle yourself like a gent[le]sir and you'll be aight.
Only time I've ever seen pimps get violent with each other is when the ass is fat. If shawty got a fat ass, you might get stabbed in the middle of the street. A nigga might run up on you while you at yo grandma house and shoot your dog. Niggas might shit on your doorstep on some Billy Madison type shit. Dudes take the ass personally, its not just business after that. Once you put your face in between them cheeks its like going to another dimension; its like when that astronaut went to Jupiter in 2001 a space oddessey and lived his whole life and died and reached out for the monolith n shit; that monolith represented the booty.
That's why there's so much violence in the black and latin communities; because there's so much ass in the black and latin communities. Get a chart, and make a correlation between the size of the asses and the amount of violence. There's no violence in Switzerland because none of them bony white girls got any ass, but there's so much ass in Africa that even little kids pickin up guns and shootin each other with that nigga Kony who ran for president."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:32 
UltraMod

Your definition of excellent could possibly well be different to mine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

British Nervoso wrote:

Quite possibly, and you probably need to read it in context with all his other posts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 13:06 
Sleepyhead

Trooper wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:

Quite possibly, and you probably need to read it in context with all his other posts.

TL;DR - you had to be there

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 13:33 
ugvm'er at heart...

TL:DR YH2BT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 13:37 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I like the counting threads.

http://www.reddit.com/r/counting/commen ... ing_thread

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 23:54 
Sir David on reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1 ... eddit_ama/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 13:55 
ugvm'er at heart...

nickachu wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 13:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Amaze.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 14:07 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Awesome. I was totally hoping the final response would have been from David though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 16:21 
ugvm'er at heart...

Totally NSFW, totally mesmerising

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
http://www.reddit.com/r/motiontrackedboobs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 14:36 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

http://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/1 ... onal_gear/

Top thread (when viewed on 'best', which I don't think is the default?) is full of interesting videos.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:08 
ugvm'er at heart...

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1 ... _ill_talk/

Bill Murray does AMA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cor, they were some good answers. Shame there were so few of them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:34 

Re: Groundhog Day, he says:

Quote:
Well, that part was fine, the filming of the scenes over and over because you know that's what the story is. The scripts is one of the greatest conceptual scripts I've ever seen. It's a script that was so unique, so original, and yet it got not acclaim. To me it was no question that it was the greatest script of the year. To this day people are talking about it, but they forget no one paid any attention to it at the time. The execution of the script, there were great people in it. It was a difficult movie to shoot because we shot in winter outdoors. If you ever get to go to Puxatawney, you should go, it is one of the few things that is BETTER than advertised. It's really something to see.
I've ben to Puxatawney! In January, no less. We ate breakfast at a really good diner before going on a mini tour of some of the shooting locations. It's a really lovely little town.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 13:17 
UltraMod

I love Bill Murray.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 15:18 

He's really great. What was the thing I was reading a while ago about him just turning up at people's house parties?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 16:29 
ugvm'er at heart...

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1 ... house_ama/

Eddie Izzard in doing an AMA at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 16:50 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I lost a lot of respect for Eddie Izzard when he didn't recognise the theme tune to Police Squad on Radio 2 the once.

Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next