Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Worst Videogame Bosses
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 16:17 
Sleepyhead

Craster wrote:
I managed about half of the Dark Aeons. Nowhere near as bad as Ruby Weapon.

Pfffft, I pwned all the weapons with consumate Vs.

I just couldn't get near the Aeons. They had about ten million HP, and could do a hit that killed 2/3 of your party dead, then did it again two moves later. Stupid dark aeons. I hates them!

*mutters and grumbles*

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 16:25 
Not to be confused with elbow

Mindy, Mandy and...Mork or whatever her name was were the worst of those for me-I did the rest.

Yojimbo was a fucking tramp though, scrounging cash :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 17:13 
Honey Boo Boo

Shin wrote:
Mindy, Mandy and...Mork or whatever her name was were the worst of those for me-I did the rest.

The Magus sisters, Sally, Cindy and Mindy?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 17:13 
Excellent Excellente

devilman wrote:
MarzSyndrome wrote:
Close combat seems to achieve nothing in the way of progress, so you end up spending eons (and credits) keeping a safe distance from them so you can do the running kick - the only effective move in the whole game, it appears. And that's without taking to account the flame floor attack he can also pull off on you at inopportune moments.

Running kick? the most effective move was to double-tap a direction to start running, then jump, then push down and attack to stab folk in the head.

Except it never worked because the enemy would always bloody move away just before you got to strike them. They're often moving up or down when you want them to just stand the fuck still.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 17:20 
Not to be confused with elbow

MetalAngel wrote:
Shin wrote:

The Magus sisters, Sally, Cindy and Mindy?

That'll do, yeah them

Post subject: !
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 17:40 
Kvnt

I don't know if you can use the same strategy in the game you're talking about, but in the Tower of Zot in FFIV, you could use their reflect spells to your advantage by attacking your own group with your most powerful black magicks. Went down easily, that way. Might wanna give it a shot!

Edit: every boss in Faxanadu is dreadfully erratic and twitchy, and they tend to just stay right on top of you all the time. But I love Faxanadu.

The boss of R-Type II's fifth stage is pretty terrible, as well. The whole screen is filled with these L-shaped gates that rotate when you shoot them, but because you're shooting them with either bouncy reflective lasers or a BIG FAT ONE, it's incredibly difficult to only hit the gate you were aiming for, so you can't keep your eye on everything. You usually get killed by a gate that's behind you. I can only consistently beat this boss by exploiting a dumb safe spot, and as far as I can tell, most of the 'experts' do the same.

Post subject: Re: !
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 0:14 
Paws for thought

Klatrymadon wrote:
I don't know if you can use the same strategy in the game you're talking about, but in the Tower of Zot in FFIV, you could use their reflect spells to your advantage by attacking your own group with your most powerful black magicks. Went down easily, that way. Might wanna give it a shot!

With some of the dark aeons, you'd have to reload five or six times before you even got a go, rather than just being killed.

And this is with a party where they could take down the actual final boss* with one hit.

* - ypu encountered a few where you were invulnerable afterwards

Post subject: Re: !
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 0:44 
Chinny chin chin

Worst video game boss ever?

That old cow who worked behind the music/games counter at WH Smiths. Would never swap the tapes that wouldn't load.

Bitch.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:00 
What-ho, chaps!

In FFX, Yunalesca has an attack that makes everybody Zombie (healing items hurt).
Shortly after that, she casts Life on your party to kill them.
So, you un Zombie yourself. (Hope enough characters are up to the bit on the sphere grid where you get the necessary spells!)
Then she does an attack that immediately kills anybody who isn't a Zombie.
So, make sure you're Zombied. And not Zombied. Simultaneously. (Hope you brought enough Haste for everybody, you'll need them turns.)

And wonder why you can't bring in a replacement party member when one gets knocked out. (Thank you FFXII!)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:03 
Excellent Member

I was always rather fond of the bosses in Double Dragon, especially the boss on the mountain bit. He was the same as all the previous ones, except he was inexplicably green.

Double Dragon is clearly a terrible game, but it can be really funny after a drink or two. Especially the last level where you are killed by randomly moving blocks and the baddy at the end with the machine gun. And then you have to kill your mate to get the girl who's skirt is too short so you can see her pants.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 13:00 
Rude Belittler

MrD wrote:
In FFX, Yunalesca has an attack that makes everybody Zombie (healing items hurt).
Shortly after that, she casts Life on your party to kill them.
So, you un Zombie yourself. (Hope enough characters are up to the bit on the sphere grid where you get the necessary spells!)
Then she does an attack that immediately kills anybody who isn't a Zombie.
So, make sure you're Zombied. And not Zombied. Simultaneously. (Hope you brought enough Haste for everybody, you'll need them turns.)

And wonder why you can't bring in a replacement party member when one gets knocked out. (Thank you FFXII!)

Yes. She is an utter bitch, and completely impossible to beat without prior knowledge.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 13:16 

The boss at the end of Rainbow Six Vegas 2 was a right cunt, it seemed as if you had to remember attack patterns/sequences like in a Shoot 'em up but instead it seemed to come down to luck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 19:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Really? I thought it was pretty easy. When he's shooting, hide behind the wall and shoot him from cover. When he missiles, back away from the wall. Repeat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 19:50 
Awesome
Yes

I could never beat Tom on Level 5 of Tom and Jerry on the NES.

He was laid at the bottom of a fireplace, whilst flames licked around your feet.

All you had to do was shoot marbles at him a few times like every other world, but on this level he refused to die, no matter where I hit him on his body. I looked up the game years later for a guide and it turned out I was doing it correctly, he just didn't ever activate the death animation for some reason, so the level never advanced to world 6. The shit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 23:45 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Craster wrote:
Really? I thought it was pretty easy. When he's shooting, hide behind the wall and shoot him from cover. When he missiles, back away from the wall. Repeat.

You didn't do it onhard mode, I assume? Backing away from the wall then = instant death from twenty blokes. Staying with the wall = instant death from gunship. Not fun.

Executing the cornered terrorists when they pulled out guns was fun, though. Especially when you're in co-op and both instinctively shoot him in the cock.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:54 
Excellent Member

A slideshow. Of it.

Cheers to Pundabaya for reminding me what a twat Jinpachi Mishima was. Also, see if you can spot the turn of phrase stolen wholly and unabridged from Amiga Power.

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2