Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1422 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: MafiaScum
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 13:29 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Welcome to our first game of MafiaScum. Mafiascum is the online version of the game known as Mafia.

The game is split into day and night phases. During the day phase, the players are attempting to come to a consensus on who should be lynched by the townsfolk. You are trying to catch out the bad guys, find out who looks suspicious, etc. To begin with, there is very little information to go on - you're all scared, and you're all pretty much suspicious of each other. As the days progress, people will die, revealing their role. Roles like the cop will uncover vital information, but will they put themselves at risk to share it? Each day phase there will be a lynch if consensus is reached. Once more than half of the players vote for the same player to be lynched, that will be the end of the day, and that player will be strung up. If the deadline passes and there is no consensus, there will be no lynch that day.

During the night phase, and player who has a night ability (revealed in the PMs you will receive) can use their role. When all night abilities have been used, or when the deadline expires, the night phase will be over and a new day will start. Any overnight deaths will be revealed.

The game alternates between day and night until one of the teams has won - see 'Win Conditions' below.

Rules
  • Only people playing the game may post in this thread
  • Once you are dead, that is it. You may not post again in the thread. One 'goodbye, cruel world' type post will be allowed, but you must not reveal any information you may know.
  • To vote for a player to be lynched, you should include 'VOTE:player' in your post, in bold so it can be easily seen. To change your vote, include 'UNVOTE. VOTE:player' in bold.
  • Do not post in the thread during night phases. I will most likely lock the thread at that time anyway.
  • Do not discuss what is happening in the game outside this thread, either in other threads, in person, or via PM. The whole point is that all discussion is visible to all. The exception to this is the mafia, who can communicate with each other whenever they like.
  • Post. If you don't participate in the discussion for a period, I'll send you a PM. If you still don't participate, you will probably be ModKilled. If you don't take part, the game doesn't run well at all. Each day will run for around 48 hours, so you don't need to be checking the thread too often.
  • Do not edit or delete any of your posts. If you wish to correct something, follow up with a new post.

Advice
  • Day one is a crapshoot, but picking someone and lynching them is a good idea - the aim is to gain information.
  • Voting for people often provokes a reaction, which may be of interest.
  • When someone dies and you discover their role, look back through previous posts. Who was supporting them? Who was trying to get them lynched? This may give you clues to other players' allegiances.
  • You can lie as much as you like. You can claim to be a role that you are not - but if you get outed by the person who is really playing that role, it's usually a swift trip to the gibbet.
  • You can reveal your role whenever you like. It may make you a target, and people may well not believe you, but on occasion it may be necessary if you have vital information.

Post subject: Re: MafiaScum
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 13:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Roles

The following are the roles that are in the game. Some roles have varying numbers - you do not know exactly how many of these roles are in the game:

• 1 Townie Cop
  • 0-1 Townie Doctor
  • 2-3 Townie Masons
  • 1 Serial Killer
  • 1 Godfather
  • 1-4 Mafia Goons
  • 0-1 Mafia Roleblocker
  • 8-14 Townies

I will randomly assign a role to each player, and they will receive a PM telling them their role. The PMs that the players will receive are below:

Quote:
Townie Cop - You are a policeman, on the side of the town. Once per night phase you can PM me the name of a player, and you will be told if that player is Mafia. You can only uncover Mafia, not the Serial Killer. The person you target will not know they you have targetted them. Your win condition is Town.

Quote:
Townie Doctor - You are a doctor, on the side of the town. Once per night phase you can PM me the name of a player, and that player will be protected from any overnight attempts to kill them. You may not protect yourself. The player you protect will not know that you are protecting them. Any player attempting to kill the person you are protecting will know that their attempt failed, but not why. Your win condition is Town.

Quote:
Townie Mason - You are a Mason, on the side of the town. Secret handshakes, robes, chants and unusual sex, no doubt. _________, _________ and _________ are also Masons, and you know 100% that none of you are Mafia. you have no night ability. Your win condition is Town.

Quote:
Townie - You are a townsperson. You have no special role and no night ability. Your win condition is Town.

Quote:
Serial Killer - You are a fucking psycho nut, on no-one's side but your own. Once per night phase you can PM me the name of a player, and that player will be murdered. Your win condition is SK. You are highly encouraged to provide me with a description of how you would like each victim killed.

Quote:
Mafia Godfather - You are the Don of the local Mafia brotherhood. _______, ________, and ________ are your troops. Once per night phase you can PM me the name of a player to kill, and nominate any mafia member as the hitman who will do the deed. You and the rest of the mafia can communicate with each other via PM at any time, unlike the rest of the players. Because you are adept at keeping your own fingers clean, the cop will not find you guilty if he investigates you. Your win condition is Mafia.

Quote:
Mafia Goon - You are a member of the local Mafia brotherhood. _______, ________, and ________ are also Mafia and _______ is your Godfather. Once per night phase your Godfather will PM me the name of a player to kill, and nominate one mafia member as the hitman who will do the deed. You and the rest of the mafia can communicate with each other via PM at any time, unlike the rest of the players. Your win condition is Mafia.

Quote:
Mafia Roleblocker - You are a member of the local Mafia brotherhood. _______, ________, and ________ are also Mafia and _______ is your Godfather. Once per night you can PM me the name of a player, and if that player has a night ability (kill, investigate etc), it will automatically fail. Your target will know they have been blocked, but not know who blocked them. You and the rest of the mafia can communicate with each other via PM at any time, unlike the rest of the players. Your win condition is Mafia.

Win Conditions.

You win the game dependant on your team's win condition. Note that Townies and Mafia do not need to survive to win, so helping your team win is more important than your own personal survival. The win conditions are:
  • Town - You win when every Mafia member and the Serial Killer are dead.
  • Mafia - You win when the Serial Killer is dead, and you equal or outnumber the town (preventing a lynch).
  • Serial Killer - You win when everyone else is dead. Horribly.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 13:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I am putting this post up now to allow people to familiarise themselves with the rules and roles, and to allow questions about the rules. The first day phase will start Wednesday at 10am, I will send out the PMs with all the roles at some point on Tuesday.

Player list:

Runcle - Townie
Joans - Mafia Goon
MaliA - Townie
Myoptika - Serial Killer. Killed Night 3
Mr Chris - Townie Cop. Killed Night 1
Curiosity - Townie
Zardoz - Townie, Lynched Day 6
Grim... - Townie. Lynched Day 1
The Rev Owen - Townie. Killed Night 2
Sinister Agent - Townie Doctor. Killed Night 1
Spinglo Sponglo/GazChap - Townie Mason. Killed Night 5
Mr Russ - Townie. Lynched Day 4
Squirt - Townie. Killed Night 4
Kalmar - Townie. Lynched Day 3
Mimi - Townie. Lynched Day 5
Mr Dave - Mafia Roleblocker
TheVision - Mafia Goon. Lynched Day 2
Sheepeh - Townie Mason
Dimrill/Pundabaya - Mafia Godfather
Comical Games - Mafia Goon

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 13:37 

Looking forward to it with slight confusion, but I am sure it will all be clear soon enough! :)

EDIT:

Just read he role descriptions - NOW it makes sense.

Oh, good stuff, Craster, looks most excellent and I'm looking forward to it muchly!

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 13:38 
Skillmeister

That makes it so much clearer now :) Looking forward to this.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 13:48 
Awesome
Yes

Will there be a list of players put in the thread for voting purposes? Otherwise someone could stay alive by not participating.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 13:52 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Russ wrote:
Will there be a list of players put in the thread for voting purposes? Otherwise someone could stay alive by not participating.

Yes :p

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 14:17 
Legendary Boogeyman

With the instructions, this now sounds very interesting. Sounds like a lot of careful work on your part, Craster, so thanks in advance for the efforts. I look forward to lynching lots of you soon.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 19:11 
UltraMod

*rubs hands with glee* This sounds awesome!

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 19:14 
Rude Belittler

Haha, you're all playing a silly forum game!

What next? Guess the lyric?

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 19:26 
Paws for thought

I personally look forawrd to lynching Myoptika. Twice.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 19:34 
Legendary Boogeyman

Pundabaya wrote:
Haha, you're all playing a silly forum game!

What next? Guess the lyric?

YOU ARE NOT AUTHORISED TO POST ON THIS THREAD :attitude:

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 21:42 
Rude Belittler

Yes, I am! Says nothing in the T&Cs :p

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 21:44 
Skillmeister

A strange hobo walks in to the town from Outside. He is soon dealt with by the close eyed dwellers.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 21:53 
Rude Belittler

*A man, clad in chain and plate, enters yon village on foot, his helmet rimed with frost from the cold, night air. He hefts his shield, cut by many sword and axe blows, on to his shoulder, and looks at the gathered townsfolk. One meets the warrior's eye, and begins to speak.*

'Oh Dimmers, you're supposed to be mafia, not a knight! Go and change your genre, goddamn it!'

*A tear in his eye, the warrior leaves the town, going home to change into his cheap suit, pausing only for a quick tankard of Cup-a-Soup*

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 21:58 
That Rev Chap

I'm really looking forward to this.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 22:02 
Time Out for Fun

Pundabaya wrote:
Yes, I am! Says nothing in the T&Cs :p

erm first rule.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 22:03 
Skillmeister

It's not that great, it's only lunch flavoured cuppasoup.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 22:04 
Time Out for Fun

Dimrill wrote:
It's not that great, it's only lunch flavoured cuppasoup.

heh I was tempted to do a similar joke but wasnt sure anyone would get it. woo its slade on holiday!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 23:38 
Peculiar, yet lovely

I am holding out for the role of "Honest Establishment Owner, Misc."

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:29 
UltraMod

I had a dream we were already playing this last night, but that it was set in some weird MMO universe. I was pretending to be a drunken aristocrat. How bizarre.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 13:12 
Sleepyhead

This looks like a lot of fun.

:DD

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 22:05 
Hibernating Druid

I'm going to be so awesome.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 22:19 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

VOTE : lynch Zardoz. ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 22:23 
Legendary Boogeyman

VOTE : lynch Zardoz. :hat:

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 22:37 
Skillmeister

VOTE : lynch Dimrill

no... wait!

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 22:46 
Legendary Boogeyman

Perhaps we should have a Dr Kevorkian role, for those users stupid enough to want to commit suicide.

Actually that'd be quite interesting, a townsperson who commits suicide, but nobody knows that the death was suicide. A red herring, if you will. Throw people off the scent by having one person who dies, without knowing whether it was the serial killer or a mobster, or self-inflicted death. Fun!

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 23:00 

I volunteer to do that this round!

Just don't tell anyone!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:10 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'm going to lock this now, as I'm sending out the roles via PM, and I don't want any more discussion until day one starts. That will be 10am tomorrow assuming everyone has picked up their PMs by then.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:18 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Any questions about your role, PM me.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 14:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Q. How should I act in the thread if I'm a _______________?

During the daytime discussion, all of you really want to either be defending your townie status, or pretending you're a townie. You also want to be stirring up reactions from people - pointing fingers, being accusatory, in the hope that the bad guys will give themselves away.

If you're a bad guy, you want the town pointing their fingers at someone else when deciding who to string up.

Townies with special roles usually want to pretend they don't have special roles most of the time - to avoid making themselves a target early on. Revealing who you are is a powerful tactic though if you have important information to share or if you are looking to avoid being lynched. There's no guarantee you're telling the truth though!

Q. If the Masons know who each other are, what's to stop them talking outside the thread?

Er - nothing. They're actually supposed to be allowed to, but I forgot to put it in the PMs. Masons can talk to each other privately whenever they like.

Q. Can the Mafia still kill if the Godfather is dead? Can the Godfather kill people if his Goons are dead?

Yes, and yes. In this game, the Godfather has no real special role other than being immune to investigation. He is only really there so I get a consensus on who the Mafia want to kill. If he is dead, any other Mafia member can PM me with their target and hitman. The Godfather can nominate himself as the hitmen whether his Goons are alive or dead.

Q. What happens if two people with night abilities target each other?

Night actions happen in this order:
Roleblocking->Investigation->Protection->Kill

That determines what actions succeed or fail when there are clashes.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Day 1

It is early morning. A light mist faintly lingers, clinging to the buildings at the outskirts of the village of Excellent End. The early risers of the village are stirring, to the sound of birdsong.

No normal birdsong. Instead of the twittering of tits and squawking of sparrows, the dawn air is filled with the more raucous screeching of crows. The first few villagers out of their houses head towards the screeching commotion at the outskirts of town. Greeting them is a grisly sight. Fully half the townsfolk lie in line on the main road out of the village, all face down, each with a single bullet hole in the back of the head.

It's been a dark night, a night of executions. The news quickly spreads around the village, for the remaining folk are few in number. They gather in the village square amid a strange mix of hushed whispers and dispairing wails. Each eyes their neighbour with suspicion and fear, for one thing is certain - there's scum in this town.

Day 1 deadline is midday Friday.
There are 20 players alive, so 11 votes for a player will see that player lynched.

Have fun!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:58 
INFINITE POWAH

Vote: Dimrill

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:01 
Legendary Boogeyman

hahaha Chris, are you basing that on anything, or just a dislike of him?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:02 
Sleepyhead

Vote: Dimrill

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:06 
baron of techno

*DESPAIRING WAIL*

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:08 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Two votes for the same person so quickly makes me suspicious. Clearly Mr Chris and Curiosity are in cahoots, and are trying to bump off a townie straight off. I'm wise to your games!

Also : Oh no! What evil has invaded our hitherto peaceful and happy town? 'tis a dark day, indeed!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:10 
Sleepyhead

Squirt wrote:
Two votes for the same person so quickly makes me suspicious. Clearly Mr Chris and Curiosity are in cahoots, and are trying to bump off a townie straight off. I'm wise to your games!

Or are we? It might be an elaborate double bluff... or a triple bluff! Or a dodecabluff*!

*the dodacebluff has never been pulled off in tournament conditions.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:10 
Legendary Boogeyman

kalmar wrote:
*DESPAIRING WAIL*

Only the Serial Killer would make noises like this. I'm wise to you too, Kalmar ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:11 
Legendary Boogeyman

Also Squirt, don't edit posts. *smackhands*

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:11 
That Rev Chap

*strokes beard and looks around for anyone acting suspiciously*

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:12 
INFINITE POWAH

Squirt wrote:

Also : Oh no! What evil has invaded our hitherto peaceful and happy town? 'tis a dark day, indeed!

Your voicing of your suspicions is clearly a ruse to deflect suspicion away from yourself, given that you are a GREAT BIG MASSIVE MOBSTER.

Get the lynchin' ropes, boys.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:13 
Sleepyhead

In light of the realisation that Dimrill would never be in the Mafia due to their strict dress code, I am now looking for other likely suspects to be the victim of the lynch mob. Once one of them starts looking suspicious, I shall amend my vote accordingly.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:14 
Gogmagog

Mr Chris,

Do you still require those sacks and pick axe handles that you were asking about in my shop yesterday? I've just had a call form my supplier and I can get them in by noon.

INFINITE POWAH

You need to "Unvote" dimrill then, Curio.

However, this suggests to me that you and Drimrill are mobsters in cahoots. Cahoots, I say.

baron of techno

ComicalGnomes wrote:
kalmar wrote:
*DESPAIRING WAIL*

Only the Serial Killer would make noises like this. I'm wise to you too, Kalmar ;)

I'm just understandably upset at this stage. You're being waaay too accusatory right off the bat my friend. . . .

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:15 
INFINITE POWAH

Comical and Curio are clearly mobsters, given that they're trying to deflect attention away from themselves. Plus they're evil.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:15 
baron of techno

I agree with Mr Chris!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:16 
Sleepyhead

Mr Chris wrote:
You need to "Unvote" dimrill then, Curio.

However, this suggests to me that you and Drimrill are mobsters in cahoots. Cahoots, I say.

Indeed I do, but I cannot unvote without voting for someone else, and until someone overtly suspicious comes along, I shall stick with Dimrill as the default straw man. I never trusted that beard.

(...and me, here, with a wife and kids mercilessly murdered by the Mafia... I WILL HAVE REVENGE!)

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:17 
Legendary Boogeyman

Being the serial killer in this game, I think, is an awesome position to be in. You couldn't give a fuck who gets voted for, they all have to die.

Reply to topic  [ 1422 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next