Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Game II Chat Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:37 

I've got to hand it to you Comical, you're pretty good at getting people to change their minds. Although even if I'd stuck to my guns I don't think you'd have ever been lynched, the majority just wouldn't have been there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:37 
Skillmeister

Ah-ha! So that means it was Gaywood in the stupid shoes that distracted me on night 1! We targetted each other, then.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Also - this forum really needs a "reply all" button for PMs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:39 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
Yeah. I don't know how I didn't die, tbh.
None of the cult was killed.

PRAISE XENU!

Don't cultist dislike Xenu? I can never remember.

:)

Well played cultists.

Also, it's amazing how much easier it is to spot people and their roles when you're not actually involved in the game.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:41 
Legendary Boogeyman

GazChap wrote:
I've got to hand it to you Comical, you're pretty good at getting people to change their minds. Although even if I'd stuck to my guns I don't think you'd have ever been lynched, the majority just wouldn't have been there.

You really can't underestimate the cult in this game, it's a creeping faction and the townies are seemingly distracted by the more immediate threats of the SK and Mafia. WRONG. Get the cult leader first, any way you can.

No idea how I stayed alive, I didn't think I was that convincing, but hohum, xenu lives.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:41 

Grim... wrote:
Also - this forum really needs a "reply all" button for PMs.

:this:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:51 
Can you dig it?

Oh dear.

Well, it was fun but I probably didn't get involved as much as a lot you did as I'm away from the computer quite a bit. With hindsight, my place may have been better going to someone else that may be on more and not be quite so impulsive.

Anyway, well played cult.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:57 
That Rev Chap

We talked briefly about killing CG on the first night, but thought the vigilante or SK would take him out instead. So we chose Mr Dave, based on the fact that he was too clever. And then the vigilante killed me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 13:02 

If the Mafia had killed CG on the first night and the rest of the game had played out like it did, we would have won. But of course, with the important townies being recruited reasonably early, the game would probably have turned out very differently if they hadn't been under threat of recruitment.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 13:10 

Wait, someone post the full list of roles!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 13:15 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Dudley wrote:
Wait, someone post the full list of roles!

The missing ones are in the first post of day VII.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 13:15 
Awesome
Yes

And better still, everyone post what their actions weere on each night, or their analysis of the game as they were going along. As others ahve already started to do. It is most entertaining.

As an outsider though, it was most amusing to see everyone so vocal about lynching CG, and then slowly not going on so much about lynching CG. As though they were no longer wanting that as an outcome, which would be because...? Hehe.

Still confused about how the guard caught the inmate so quickly though, unless it was a random guess.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 13:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The Rev Owen Mafia Goon
Pundabaya Mafia Goon
richardgaywood Mafia Roleblocker
Mr Chris Serial Killer
ComicalGnomes Cult leader
JBR Tracker
Rodafowa Escaped Inmate
vegetables Asylum Guard turned cultist
Dimrill Voyeur turned cultist
craig Vigilante
Sheepeh Doctor
Grim... Mad Scientist turned cultist
Dudley Townie turned cultist
nervouspete Townie
Joans Townie
LaceSensor Townie
Gazchap Townie
Bluecup Townie
Mr Dave Townie
Sir Taxalot Revered Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 13:18 
That Rev Chap

I love to know if Pundy and myself were random targets of if we somehow gave ourselves away.

It was very, very amusing to see the townies still discussing us as a going concern for ages, even though we were fucked by the second night.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 13:18 
PC Gamer

Mr Russ wrote:
Still confused about how the guard caught the inmate so quickly though, unless it was a random guess.

You and me both, man. I was playing with a pretty straight bat the first couple of days, other than taking the little gamble to try and follow Lace out the door if he'd turned out Mafia.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 13:33 
Excellent Member

I think Comical lived through the first few days just because after the last game, everyone knew he had to go right away. They were so sure of this, they were convinced they didn't have to bother as someone else would. Between lynching, Mafia, Vigilante and Serial Killer someone else was bound to do it, right? And if he didn't go the first night he's *definitely* going to go the next.., etc until he's got a solid cultish base. Nicely played.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 13:39 
Can you dig it?

I thought Comical would be killed one night, yes. It never ocurred to me that people had been calling for his head so vocally and then stopped. Ooops. I voted for bluecup on the first night because I was convinced by him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 13:42 
Legendary Boogeyman

To me it was horribly obvious that Grim and Dudley suddenly went quiet, especially after Grim spent most of day 1 screaming COMICAL IS MAFIA.

Tip for any future mafia/cultists - get all of you on a chat thing like msn. Emails and PMs are too slow and its very difficult to coordinate actions. Sometimes your bastard subordinates just go off blabbing without permission (Dudley). :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 13:42 
Paws for thought

The Rev Owen wrote:
I think the main townie problem was still focusing on the mafia long after they'd ceased to be a threat while ignoring the cult.

(Losing me on day one and Pundy on day two was very unlucky, I think. I don't think either of us had done anything very suspicious.)

Not so, I'd fingered both of you as the most likely mafia people in my giant post. Having previously said that "The mafia are going to be generally unremarkable", a list of unremarkable people headed up with a group of who I thought were the more likely mafia people.

End of the post... something which basically said "Kill both Comical and Bluecup"

Before that, a post detailing the behaviour of the cult which turned out to be 100% accurate and yet you still didn't kill Grim....
I warned that they would somehow unnaturally know who the SK and Mafia were, and you ignored who found the information (in handy block botes, to boot)

I think next time I will use all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 13:52 
Paws for thought

Sorry to bring this up again, but... Day 1 page 12

Me wrote:
- Possible similar block voting tactics after a while.

As witnessed toward the end

Quote:
- Good scouts for mafia, SK, inmate and guard - they won't know which is which, but they will be able to find them.

Again, found SK. Funny that.

Quote:
- And so watch for people who uncannily know who to target in such a way.

Hmmm....

Quote:
- Their main targets will be roled characters, as they will be useful to them. (Think: Scientologists going after celebs, politicians and lawyers).
- Except the scientist, who's pretty much useless to anyone (Sorry, Grim..., but you are essentially a bomb waiting to go off)

Obviously, the second point didn't come until after the rule change. But once it had, How was Grim... still alive?

Quote:
- Watch for changes of play style in people. Good sign they have been culted - but again, don't worry about them over the leader until you have found him. Unless:

Hello... Dudley and Grim...
Admittedly, I should have put in a third unless - being that you should worry about them near the end of the game, when your majority is very low, and so killing one of them will keep the status quo.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 13:57 
Excellent Member

Grrr, I sensed that Comical was a threat after the first day, but didn't put it into any quality 'sway the crowd' words, instead appealing to justice instead of self-preservation. I kept instinctively thinking mafia and not cultist either, and should have really realised the slow silencing of actual anti-CG voting. But by that time I was already dead, so bah.

Like that bloke in the first Invasion of the Bodysnatchers, I shouted out at the passing traffic the terrible danger everyone was in, but no one listened. :'(

Well played Comical. I fear you.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 13:58 

The Rev Owen wrote:
I love to know if Pundy and myself were random targets of if we somehow gave ourselves away.

It was very, very amusing to see the townies still discussing us as a going concern for ages, even though we were fucked by the second night.

We led some of that though :)

Thanks cras.

Legendary Boogeyman

Don't worry, it's not like I'm a furiously angry individual who'd quite like to see the entropy and failure of society as a whole...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:00 

ComicalGnomes wrote:
To me it was horribly obvious that Grim and Dudley suddenly went quiet, especially after Grim spent most of day 1 screaming COMICAL IS MAFIA.

Tip for any future mafia/cultists - get all of you on a chat thing like msn. Emails and PMs are too slow and its very difficult to coordinate actions. Sometimes your bastard subordinates just go off blabbing without permission (Dudley). :)

Massive.

Twat.

;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:00 
Excellent Member

Bluecup wrote:
Oh Feck It.

Day 1, post 1 I had that bastard Comical down and did you guys listen. Nooooooo.

I called it and no one listened. That teach ya.

I went on and on about how desperate Comical was on not getting lynched. Seriously, why didn't anyone listen to any of my ramblings. Huh? HUH???

Should have listened to you, Bluecup. If I'm Kevin McCarthy in Invasion of the Bodysnatchers, you're the little kid who suspects his mummy and reveals all the horror to nice Mr Doctor McCarthy Me, but I don't believe you and send you home with a nice sedative instead to calm your addled brain.

Which is akin to lynching in the sinister conformo-mind future of CG.

So apologies, many apologies.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:02 
Excellent Member

One things for sure, can't wait for my second ever game, now I know how its played and how paranoid I should be. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Russ wrote:
And better still, everyone post what their actions weere on each night, or their analysis of the game as they were going along. As others ahve already started to do. It is most entertaining.

Alright:
Day 1 I was fucking convinced Comical was a bad man, and fought for his lynching. It was not to be. That night, I decided to press button '3' on my box, because I was born on the third. Apparently I had to choose someone to point it at, so I chose Dimmers, as he was being crazy. Turns out I 'protected' him*.

Day 2 Once I was handed my robes, the most important thing was to keep Comical alive. Guessing that the best way of doing this would be to make people think he was the inmate, I lied about roleblocking Dimrill (because people were assuming he was the guard). It seemed to work. I used my 'protect' skill on Comical, and did so every night from then on.

Day 3 The inmate getting arrested fucked up my main plan there - Comical was in the shit. However, we now had Dudley to help us on the 'convincing' stakes, and together we set about shouting about Dimrill, and then the town was held to a draw. We figured Dimmers was the voyeur and wanted to recruit him when he told you all that Comical was the Cult leader at the end of Day 2, so it's a shame he mentioned being the voyeur in the end. I switched off voting for Dimmers toward the end as we didn't really want him to die, and made sure I hung around to close the thread at dead on Midnight. The fact that I was probably a cultist was bought up for the first time, and I fully expected to be dead in the morning.

Day 4 I went off-roading with a chum, and missed the day entirely.

Day 5 Although I hadn't PM'd my night action for night 4, Craster assumed (correctly) that I'd protect Comical, and started day 5. This got me in a load of hot water, as I had to pretend that I'd sent them to Craster in advance, which would be a really stupid thing to do. Still, it let me get a nice lie in about Mr. Chris being roleblocked and thus not being able to kill anyone. Chris was shouting about how Comical was the cult leader, and I made (IMHO) a good post about why was he voting for me and not Comical (I had to leave my crying baby to come and post that one when I thought of it) and muddied the waters somewhat. We knew Chris was the SK or Mafia because we couldn't recruit him. Gaywood then decided that if Mr Chris killed him, the mafia would lose, so he helped out. From this day on, Gaywood might as well have been in the cult :)
Mr Chris wrote:
Grim...'s doing sterling work for his master, here.

Yes, he bloody well was :)

Day 6 The PMs were becoming insane at this point (around 30 were waiting for me when I arrived at work). We basically decided to sit and wait for someone to vote for a non-cultist, then pounce and grab the win at the same time. We couldn't get conformation from Dimmers, so we just told him to vote and the other three sat and waited, refreshing the thread over and over again until Dimmers finally caught up with his PMs and voted. Then we all voted too.
If the game was held to a draw I was planning to go Death or Glory - point my box at gaywood and press buttons until something happened. The first button I would have pressed would have been '1', which Craster has since told me was 'resurect', so I'm guessing I'd have been lynched had that happened and the townies would have won.

Phew, eh :)

* I love this:
JBR wrote:
I'm fully believing that Grim... can roleblock now, he was totally right about Mr Chris and his logic elsewhere has been perfect. He still might not be the scientist.

:D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:07 
Skillmeister

Mr Dave wrote:
I think next time I will use all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

Tell me about it. Here's the list of my hint dropping:

Among knowing what was in each parcel I was delivering, I entered Lace's farm and:
Quote:
*starts randomly opening doors*

then
Quote:
*brews, sits down by the window and holds up letters to the rays of the sun, peering*

Quote:
*Looks up from steaming open a letter*

Then in day 3 when I was almost getting fingered
Quote:
I can't understand why a post master would come under such suspicion, it dang hurts me... and I don't get off on that.

Quote:
I've been a watchin with interest your rabble rousin' Mr Gnomes

Quote:
*rattles some parcels*

Quote:
I'm no cultist Mr Chris! *sigh* Seems like my only friends are my stamps and collection of photographs. *sigh*

Then the confession due to Mr Chris:
Quote:
*gibbers feverishly*
I only likes to watch!
*falls to knees*
That's all I likes to do! Is that so wrong?! Oh lordy save me! I didn't mean nothing by it, good sirs, never!
*cuddles envelopes, weeping*

Even that wasn't enough! Mr Chris, did you really not get that or were you being cunning and trying to make me out myself totally out of character? Anyway, it caused:
Quote:
Oh for FUCKS sake..

I'M THE VOYEUR!!!!

There. Spelled out enough for you? Hints not enough?! Explicit confessional above not enough?!?!? GHAHGAGAHGAHR!TGH!HGHG!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:08 
Legendary Boogeyman

Would everyone like the rest of the week off before Game 3?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I will be sitting it out - no offence, but I need to work.
Let me build a 'reply all' button, too.

SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

ComicalGnomes wrote:

It's a good idea. It's easy to burn out on this shit. Also need time for signups.

baron of techno

ComicalGnomes wrote:

The townies left at the end of that game should be excluded from the next one on the grounds of being rubbish :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:10 
Legendary Boogeyman

I can go to sleep for a couple of nights without thinking about tactics. I felt sure I was dreaming about this stupid game last night.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:11 
That Rev Chap

Much as I want to go NOW! NOW! NOW! I think leaving it a few days is a good idea.

I'll try to work on being less unremarkable in future. It seems to have got me killed twice so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:14 
Awesome
Yes

Yuss, please leave it until at least Saturday/Sunday, as I will be on super holiday, and not able to get to the interwebs as much.

Assuming I get in.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:14 
Sleepyhead

Set up sign-ups tomorrow, maybe, with the game kicking off on Monday again?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:16 
Paws for thought

Set signups going now, and pick the names of the amount of people you want out of a hat.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:17 
Legendary Boogeyman

I was going to suggest 10 people who weren't in the last game, and 10 people randomly picked from all other applicants?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:17 

Grim... wrote:
Gaywood then decided that if Mr Chris killed him, the mafia would lose, so he helped out. From this day on, Gaywood might as well have been in the cult :)
I'd roleblocked Mr Chris the night before so I was 99% sure he was the SK. I was in two minds about taking down you (I voted for you initially remember) and taking out Mr Chris. I went the wrong way on that decision but with three members at the time the Cult had been quite lucky with their recruit efforts. Had I know you were that far along as a group I would have carried on trying to get you lynched, Grim.... As it was I was worrying about Mr Chris taking me out, as I had been higher profile in the later stages of the game.

I still think the Mafia were flat out unlucky to get taken out so early.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

richardgaywood wrote:

Yeah, this.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:22 
Awesome
Yes

It definitely made the game a lot more entertaining having those extra roles though. made it more difficult to work out what could have been happening on any one night, which made for a lot of exploratory chatting and voting.

Great stuff Craster. well done on such great running of the game again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:25 
Paws for thought

richardgaywood wrote:

I don't. At the end of day 1, if I'd survived, my votes would've gone (in order) Comical, RevOwen, Pundabaya*, Sheepeh.

Which would've removed all threats but for the SK. (also removing the doctor, but that's why I didn't head the list "Evil people" and "Quiet non evil people" rather than a 4-2 list of unremarkable people - I was quite aware that the Doctor would appear - at the beginning at least - to be similar to mafia.)

* - as it stands, his actions at the beginning of day 2 made me utterly convinced he was guilty, and would've moved up to #1 in the vote ranking. But he wouldn't have behaved in that way had I not died, so that's fairly academic.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:27 

I'll be sitting out game 3, I'm going to be a bit busy anyway and I wouldn't like to take someone's go.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:27 

You'd better do well in the next game you play Mr Dave or all this hindsight bragging will look a bit silly :DD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:28 
That Rev Chap

Mr Dave wrote:
richardgaywood wrote:

I don't. At the end of day 1, if I'd survived, my votes would've gone (in order) Comical, RevOwen, Pundabaya*, Sheepeh.

Yes, but you're far too clever, which is why I shot you in the head. (I tossed a coin to see who would do the hit, it came up me.)

The thing, I don't think there was any difference between my townie posting style and mafia posting style. I'm just in some middle ground that gets me killed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:35 
Sweet Potato

vegetables wrote:
Hm. I have concerns about this setup, the town doesn't look at all strong and the cult looks potentially very strong indeed. But hopefully it will all be fine!

:hat:

I was also completely right that Grim was lying about his targets.

And I also won the game twice!

This is a very smug game for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:38 
Sleepyhead

richardgaywood wrote:
I went the wrong way on that decision but with three members at the time the Cult had been quite lucky with their recruit efforts. Had I know you were that far along as a group I would have carried on trying to get you lynched, Grim.... As it was I was worrying about Mr Chris taking me out, as I had been higher profile in the later stages of the game.

They were almost certain to have recruited well. You knew that the mafia were dead, and that the only two people not able to be recruited were yourself and the SK. As such, the chances of the cult not being strong were miniscule, as they were almost certain to succeed with their attempts at recruitment.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:40 
Paws for thought

richardgaywood wrote:
You'd better do well in the next game you play Mr Dave or all this hindsight bragging will look a bit silly :DD

Oh, for sure. It could well work out that the signs are less obvious, and I cock it up properly (See - wanting to lynch sheepeh)
(See also: The man I was jumping and pointing at. It was you, so while I was right, it wouldn't have helped the townies one bit.)

But this is the main reason why I was griping about the scientists resurrection facility, because now it looks like hindsight bragging and you just have to take my word (or otherwise), whereas if I'd said this on day 2, I'd be holding up a sign saying *SMUG* which would exceed this boards image size posting limit.

I'm not overly sure if I'll enter another game though, I'd be a fair bet for an early mafia hit, and failing that I'd have the town trying to string me up because the mafia hadn't hit me. And given that people by and large ignored what I had to say, even after I was a confirmed innocent, I'm not sure giving another block of information would be at all justified.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 14:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Curiosity wrote:
You knew that the mafia were dead, and that the only two people not able to be recruited were yourself and the SK.

Comical managed to target them both!
But I agree. Maybe only Vanilla townies should be able to be converted, with a class that would know who the leader was if they were gone after.

Reply to topic  [ 683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next