And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dangerous Golf
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 22:40 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Quote:
Burnout creators Alex Ward and Fiona Sperry have lifted the lid on Dangerous Golf, their first game since leaving Criterion and forming independent studio Three Fields Entertainment.

Due for release digitally on PS4, Xbox One and PC this May, Dangerous Golf switches serious golfing for explosive, destructive fun, tasking players with pulling off trick shots while causing as much damage as possible.

Rather than aiming for par, players must instead rack up their score by destroying items, bouncing off walls, and landing the ball as far away from the hole as possible. Once you've destroyed enough stuff you'll be able turn your ball into a bomb and set off a SmashBreaker - a nod to Burnout 3's CrashBreaker - and continue guiding it around the course, destroying more objects and boosting your score.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/dangerous ... rnout.html

Post subject: Re: Dangerous Golf
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 22:44 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I read about this earlier today. My interest - it is piqued.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 23:08 

That looks fun. I like golf and I like smashing things.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 18:44 
8-Bit Champion

Its great fun . my only real complaint is how long it takes to reset things up afterwards

I want a right click reset to just jump back in

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 22:20 

zaphod79 wrote:
Its great fun . my only real complaint is how long it takes to reset things up afterwards

I want a right click reset to just jump back in

I thought this had been fixed by a patch: link

I haven't played the game for a couple of weeks so haven't downloaded the update yet myself to check.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 0:08 
8-Bit Champion

Agent Starling wrote:
I haven't played the game for a couple of weeks so haven't downloaded the update yet myself to check.

On PS4 not PC , so slightly different - and its not so much the reload of the level but all the other stuff that goes on before you can take your shot - from hitting the 'wrong shot' to getting back to that point is slow - i want a instant retake :-)

krazywookie wrote:
Trousers made me buy it by mentioning it once. Prepare to meet the new bottom of your scoreboard...

Moving this to the correct thread - you were actually top of quite a few levels when i loaded it tonight - i've reclaimed some of those which on my screen pushes Trousers down to 3rd :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:42 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm a bit concerned that there isn't enough here for an entire game. Crash mode in Burnout was fun, but it wasn't the meat and veg of the game IMO.

Yes I know Dangerous Golf is only £15, but if it's a novelty hour or two sort of affair then I'm not sold on it. Eurogamer didn't go nuts for it and the Steam user reviews aren't great either.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:59 
EvilTrousers

Shut up you. It's great.

It's got that "one more crack" element to it whereby you try different approaches or to just be better at your chosen line. It's a bit Tony Hawks Pro Skater in that respect.

It feels a bit arbitrary at times in that, like Crash Mode, you can get a platinum with no idea whatsoever how you did it and then fail to get near a silver on the next one despite thinking you've hit the perfect line. Overall it does feel quite fair though.

There was nobody else on the leaderboards when I played before so that should make for more fun* as well.

Also - how do you do the quick restart on PS4?

*tears

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:03 
8-Bit Champion

Hearthly wrote:
I'm a bit concerned that there isn't enough here for an entire game. Crash mode in Burnout was fun, but it wasn't the meat and veg of the game IMO.

Yes I know Dangerous Golf is only £15, but if it's a novelty hour or two sort of affair then I'm not sold on it. Eurogamer didn't go nuts for it and the Steam user reviews aren't great either.

Currently £8.49 on PSN

And i suppose the question is what are you looking for in a game - this is basically the crash mode from burnout (which i loved) - with friends / high score tables and a few special surprises thrown in

Yes its basic
Yes its not a 'deep' game
But it does have a *lot* of replayability , a round is probably around 90 seconds , you unlock each new round quickly but on the first night i only unlocked 3 rounds and just replayed them again and again and last night i did the next 3 or so and then went back to chasing the high scores on my friends leader board

Its not for everyone but it is trying to do something simple and fun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:14 
8-Bit Champion

Trousers wrote:
Shut up you. It's great.

It's got that "one more crack" element to it whereby you try different approaches or to just be better at your chosen line. It's a bit Tony Hawks Pro Skater in that respect.

I spent a good 20 minutes or so last night on one round just trying different angles on the first shot to try and hit a trick in place - maybe 20 times playing the first 5 seconds of the round and then hit one that *almost* came off , and then spent another 4 or 5 goes trying to make it connect

Then when it does thats my go to starting point for that level and hit into crash mode and see where i go / what i can do

Trousers wrote:
It feels a bit arbitrary at times in that, like Crash Mode, you can get a platinum with no idea whatsoever how you did it and then fail to get near a silver on the next one despite thinking you've hit the perfect line. Overall it does feel quite fair though.

Very much this for the final putt , I had one i messed up yesterday - it went pinging off a number of other walls then headed back and dropped in the hole - it was one of the kitchen shots so the whole round my total was maybe 80,000 and i got 60,000 as a bonus just for the last putt :-)

I've also had amazing rounds with scores of 300,000 + then missed the final putt which halfs your score so get a gold metal for 150,000 (and often 2nd place on the leaderboard) but know there is a crazy amount more

I have 1 crazy score on mine where everything just fell into place , most other people have 150,00 and i have 350,000 - its about 10th in the world right now and i have no idea how to reproduce it (*)

(*) okay i do and i've not been able to do it on any other holes yet but if you get a hole in one on your initial playoff shot you get your bonuses added and get the ball back for a second starting shot and then your crashbreaker as well

Trousers wrote:
There was nobody else on the leaderboards when I played before so that should make for more fun* as well.

It handles the leaderboards quite well but with a few odd points - when you finish you see the other peoples scores and tells you how far ahead / behind you are - when you reload a level you've won before it tells you who has beaten you and by how much but it gets confused when you play a level over and over again and keeps showing your 'old' high score until you close that level all the way and go back in which is annoying

e.g. i have a previous score of 100,000 , i get a new score of 110,000 , and thats my new best - i replay the level and get 95,000 it shows my best as the 100,000 not the 110,00

Trousers wrote:
Also - how do you do the quick restart on PS4?

Not quick but press option / restart - the level resets quite quickly but it takes you back to the original flyover so you need to get the high score and the card placement for 'smashbreaker' and flag hidden etc etc , in reality its probably 30 seconds from the restart to back into the game it just feels too long and i miss the instant restarts from Burny or even stuff like Trials where you press a button and are instantly back at the starting point

Trousers wrote:
*tears

If no-one is pushing you - you'll never get those top top scores !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 13:23 

zaphod79 wrote:
Agent Starling wrote:

On PS4 not PC , so slightly different - and its not so much the reload of the level but all the other stuff that goes on before you can take your shot - from hitting the 'wrong shot' to getting back to that point is slow - i want a instant retake :-)

Oh fair enough, and I do agree in general with the slowness of some of the stuff. I've been having great fun with the game but yes the delays were frustrating when you just wanted to quickly replay the same level.

Overall it's a top game though, though if we're comparing, I do prefer the Crash Mode in Burnout, to this, but then smashing up cars in always going to be more fun I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 15:49 
8-Bit Champion

Agent Starling wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
Agent Starling wrote:

Oh fair enough, and I do agree in general with the slowness of some of the stuff. I've been having great fun with the game but yes the delays were frustrating when you just wanted to quickly replay the same level.

Overall it's a top game though, though if we're comparing, I do prefer the Crash Mode in Burnout, to this, but then smashing up cars in always going to be more fun I suppose.

Agreed - if your on PC do you want to post some of your top scores for the early rounds on here and see how we compare - you wont get the 'you've beaten trousers by $45,000' messages but you can see how far you are ahead / behind on specific levels.

I'll try and grab the scoreboards from the first few rounds tonight to post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 21:30 

Will do (though I'm playing on the Boxen One) - I know I had a few people here (the forum, maybe not this thread) on my Friends list but can't recall who without checking. I'll be on again at the weekend - will download the update and report back accordingly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 21:41 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I haven't bought it purely because I think its a racing cert to be a PS+ game in the next couple of months.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 23:28 
8-Bit Champion

So these will change a lot but just to show how things stand on this now before Myp really gets started ;-)

France
Dining Room

Shake it off
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Attachment:
13719599_10210136830802303_4385052006679983508_o.jpg

Locks like a tough crowd
Attachment:
13710709_10210136832762352_6587754847113040759_o.jpg

Caught red handed
Attachment:
13738106_10210136834282390_5055641787009681116_o.jpg

Candle Whacks
Attachment:
13701034_10210136836962457_2056912771744110046_o.jpg

Hall of mirrors

Magnum force
Attachment:
13719725_10210136822802103_7746927455214685916_o.jpg

Clock Room

Hit the bottle
Attachment:
13723849_10210136827362217_4843896209804953190_o.jpg

USA
Kitchen

Unbake my tart
Attachment:
13691174_10210136839842529_3263181725416699970_o.jpg

Burger off
Attachment:
13653345_10210136908124236_8816326232837106689_o.jpg

Drop the ball
Attachment:
13701245_10210136842202588_2961589684132816569_o.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:37 
Hello Hello Hello

Oooh they used the Burnout font for 'SMASH NAV'.

Bit of a comedown for them to be making novelty golf smash games, considering the Burnout series are amongst the best arcade racers ever.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:19 
UltraMod

Hearthly wrote:
Oooh they used the Burnout font for 'SMASH NAV'.

Bit of a comedown for them to be making novelty golf smash games, considering the Burnout series are amongst the best arcade racers ever.

It's also got DJ Stryker in it. :'(

I haven't got the hang of this yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 19:02 
8-Bit Champion

Hearthly wrote:

Working on their next game which will be a racer

http://www.appy-gamer.com/Web/ArticleWe ... d=69709568

Quote:
Burnout creators are returning to the racing genre

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 19:22 
Hello Hello Hello

Yes I saw that story on Eurogamer the other day, seems bizarre that they didn't start with a racing game rather than a strange novelty golf game which by all accounts hasn't sold particularly well at all. (Unsurprisingly.)

I just hope they've got the staff and the resources to kick out a decent arcade racer, must be bonkers expensive to make a full-fat AAA style game in this day and age.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 20:28 
UltraMod

This game is really rather good.

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]